• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you plan to address the questions of a PC version? Even if the answer is no, I'd be interested to hear an explanation. From the outside looking in, it's a little confusing to see Microsoft as a whole all rallying around Windows 10 as the platform for all services and products, but then to see Halo, the crown jewel of Xbox, be pretty much the only omission. I'd assumed Forge for Windows 10 was an experiment, but was it a failed experiment?

They already announced Halo 6* is coming to PC.

* they haven't actually named the next Halo yet but it's been officially acknowledged as a thing for a while now

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's cool that this is happening but good lord, the game's been out for like 3 years. I already bought and sold my Xbox One because of this thing.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
It's not a press release it's a continuing open conversation we promised to have with our fans and they have requested it.
Are you planning to touch any of the difficulties? Halo 2 legendary is well legendary for being rougher to play. Someone did a comparison and found the Chief/Arbiter were only stronger in terms of health to a flood infection form.

Dama

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
User has been warned: drive-by post that throws harsh insults at a developer and doesn't add anything to the discussion.
First of all, Fuck You 343i

2nd, that's for the update, I'lol be joking the beta

Twin Tails

Oct 25, 2017
4k 60 port of REACH when
caratula-halo-reach.jpg

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you planning to touch any of the difficulties? Halo 2 legendary is well legendary for being rougher to play. Someone did a comparison and found the Chief/Arbiter were only stronger in terms of health to a flood infection form.
Yep Halo 2 legendary means you basically die in 2-3 shots which is crazy. Although I will say the first level is probably the hardest one on legendary overall. Spam noob combo.

4k 60 port of REACH when
Hopefully never.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I read the post earlier when Frankie retweeted Brian Jarrard (since I unfollowed all Halo and 343 personnel social media accounts except for Frankie's ages ago). Its fantastically detailed and honestly refreshing. I'm not going to jump back into Halo anytime soon because of it but I am interested in this dialogue 343 is supposedly starting. I'll keep reading the next couple of posts and looked forward to continued transparency.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I literally don't have answers to that kind of granular question to hand but it's precisely the kind of thing we'll touch upon as we move forward with both the project and the communication of its progress.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They already announced Halo 6* is coming to PC.

* they haven't actually named the next Halo yet but it's been officially acknowledged as a thing for a while now
Right, but I think there's an audience for people on pc who want to play the prior games. Jumping in at number 6 is not as attractive as jumping in with a collection of the entire series up to that point.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never intentionally lied about the game but I have been very wrong and I have owned up to that. That may be a meaningless distinction to you but it's a big deal to me. If I was ever in a position where the only response was a lie, I'd simply be silent.
Frank bud, are we forgetting the most offensive lie you've ever told? What about the grenade that explodes into CE Pistols huh?! Still waiting!

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this will benefit the 100 odd something people who haven't moved on by now

- Gamepass, that alone can give a big boost
- Good enough updates can bring people back (see No Man's Sky)
- A potential relaunch to reignite interest
- Potential extra features like custom game browsers, tournament modes and mixer to help the community grow

It's not impossible to get people back on the game

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't know why they'd do that. For better or worse, Halo 2 Legendary is what it is.

Me and my bro had a minigame on Delta Halo where we'd try to jump out from behind a rock and land on another rock. You won if the jackal across the level didn't snipe you dead before you landed.

My brother lived an entirety of one times.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I literally don't have answers to that kind of granular question to hand but it's precisely the kind of thing we'll touch upon as we move forward with both the project and the communication of its progress.

You know what'd be awesome? A once-a-week or once-a-month Mixer stream of super-granular development progress. (See? Mixer? Look at that BRANDING INTEGRATION opportunity there.)
Or invite me over to ask a zillion questions.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why they'd do that. For better or worse, Halo 2 Legendary is what it is.

Me and my bro had a minigame on Delta Halo where we'd try to jump out from behind a rock and land on another rock. You won if the jackal across the level didn't snipe you dead before you landed.

My brother lived an entirety of one times.

Thanks for the Cairo Station grenade discipline flashbacks.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Great read! This post and the video last fall really got my attention. Looking forward to some classic Halo action.

I think it would be great to see them kill the current version on the store and release a MP only version. Sell the campaigns as DLC. Put the MP only version on game pass and then subscribers will jump in for "free" but end up buying the campaigns as $10 additions.

Would possibly help subsidize Reach getting added-give existing owners and game pass users Reach MP for free and sell them the dlc separately.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, but I think there's an audience for people on pc who want to play the prior games. Jumping in at number 6 is not as attractive as jumping in with a collection of the entire series up to that point.
Until there's ever an announcement for a Windows 10 version, which I think is very possible given Microsoft's vision, the only way to play them is on an Xbox console. There's really no point in asking such a question given the magnitude of a yes answer would never be revealed in such fashion.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks, is the any plan to put the MCC on the PC? Thanks for being as transparent as you can.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I just recently got an X and have been occasionally firing up the MCC and having a great time when I do, so this is great news for me.

Edit: I would totally double dip if they ever put out a PC version. Frankie, if you see this, pass it on!

growler

Oct 26, 2017
I am going to lobby for a better and more interesting UI. The one in the MCC was so rushed and bland. Nothing in comparison with the UI in the original games.
Another thing, regarding the UI, is when you set up custom games. The settings order ARE-NEVER-THE-SAME, for whatever reason across games. This makes it really frustrating setting up custom games across different games.

I'd really like to see an improved UI as well. Specifically, I'd like to know HOW I unlocked a particular customization after I've earned it! I'd also appreciate the ability to choose which Halo theme plays in the background on the menu. Otherwise I really like what I'm hearing, especially in terms of reducing time between matches and improving matchmaking.

Mike Double U

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Exciting news! It was great to be able to play all of the campaigns on the Xbox One. Though at this point it'd be nice if somehow the multiplayer would be free to play, that way the games population would (hopefully) be fairly healthy.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Until there's ever an announcement for a Windows 10 version, which I think is very possible given Microsoft's vision, the only way to play them is on an Xbox console. There's really no point in asking such a question given the magnitude of a yes answer would never be revealed in such fashion.
With the statement about intending to be transparent going forward, surely we can expect some kind of answer on this subject. Sure, in the past I wouldn't have thought we'd get any information on it, but with this new era of transparency and honesty (taking this statement at face value), it seems like the kind of thing they would address publicly.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the statement about intending to be transparent going forward, surely we can expect some kind of answer on this subject. Sure, in the past I wouldn't have thought we'd get any information on it, but with this new era of transparency and honesty (taking this statement at face value), it seems like the kind of thing they would address publicly.
C'mon. Y'know damn well even if the answer was yes, they would never confirm something like that by one employee on a gaming forum to their flagship franchise. The transparency is about the fixes and updates to the game itself, not if it will appear on another platform. There would be an official announcement by Microsoft if that ever occured.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but FyreWulff will you every do another multiplayer thread for Halo 5 or the MCC? The one you did for 4 is still one of the best threads on the old site...

Honestly, no. Truth be told I was blowing off leftover steam more over the Reach TU than 4, and by blowing off I mean that post made me go "Maybe I went a little too hard" and now I'm much more chill about developers being caught between a rock and a hard place. Plus with my short journey through the sausage factory as a Cartographer meant I was a little more than wrapped up in it all mentally than probably most community members. I legitimately did not expect it to get the feet it did. I got random Twitter DMs from devs I didn't talk to before going "yo, i read your post on ESPN. Did you know it was there?". My reaction was less "awesome, it's everywhere!" and more "oh god more people than wwmonkey and homeboyd are reading my posts here oh god oh god". And then someone told me a person asked Frankie about the post at one of the cons and I'm like OH GOD PEOPLE ARE READING IT DEFCON 2

Like it got so much stuff off my chest it would have felt fake to do anything like that anymore. If that makes sense to anyone?

Plus there are parts of the post I wish I didn't write. Played up some parts of the data more than I needed to for a point. Didn't need to write it so acidic, either.

And last year I was up in Seattle for things and had breakfast with Frankie. And he's just the most chill and honest person, even after you .txt'd his studio all over the internet years ago. It's been 5 years, everyone all around is now older and a bit wiser in the community. The industry is starting to get a bit more open now, and I hope gamers encourage this "we're trying this, and it might not work out" type of posts that 343, Bungie, Ubi, etc et all are doing now. Some things won't work out, but that's videogames for you. But people also don't need to punish a good deed by interpreting something as a promise when it was openly labeled as a maybe, and we can see more big studios continue this kind of conversation.

Everyone and their aunt has said their piece on MCC. It happened. 343 is doing the right thing by coming back to it, and they now have a dedicated legacy sustain strike team, which was probably my main issue back then to the point I'm surprised they didn't change my gamertag to Legacy Sustain. The blog gave me the information I love hearing. And truth be told, I've played like 30 total games of Halo 5. I'm not qualified to speak on Halo 5 for anyone. You can still ask me about 6GB of Reach .maps though.

My main hope is they streamline the controls for the next game. 5's controls make me feel like Caboose in RvB sometimes. "Why are there six pedals when there's only four directions?"

Last edited:

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
For everyone saying "what's the point now?" I don't think you realize how much halo means to some of us.

I absolutely am super excited about this.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the Cairo Station grenade discipline flashbacks.
Took me and a friend over 3 hours to get past the hanger bays on Cairo Station because we kept on running out of Plasma Grenades. Then months later playing the game online I first encountered the noob combo... I was so livid!

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ship has sailed for me in regards to this game on console, for those who still play i am happy they are updating and fixing the game after what happened because not only is it good for the gamer its good for them to learn from their mistakes and not let it happen to anything else they do make in the future.

Although, I would LOVE to have this on PC......

Oct 25, 2017
This is going definitely going to be a do or die moment for 343. I can't even imagine the hit to their reputation as well as Microsoft's if the MCC is still messed up after the fix.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took me and a friend over 3 hours to get past the hanger bays on Cairo Station because we kept on running out of Plasma Grenades. Then months later playing the game online I first encountered the noob combo... I was so livid!

It would be scientifically accurate to rename puberty to Cairo Station On Legendary. You enter it a child, and leave it bruised, tired, and the realization that you still have 80% of the game left to play even though you're an adult now.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

What do you mean about health/flood infection form?
It's changed in MCC?

I love Halo 2 legendary, don't mess with it.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Well, would you look at this. Something!

throughout this project you can expect regular updates straight from the trenches with an open, honest look at the successes and challenges of a project as ambitious and complicated as MCC.

*stifles chuckle*

I've read some posts from fans who are concerned that we're cracking open MCC at the expense of the next Halo FPS title

Any Halo fan worth their salt should be concerned about anything besides MCC being prioritized.

And foundationally, this update opens the possibility for other things we'd like to explore like custom game session browsing

Yes, please.

According to Greg, updating all eight game engines includes fully retiling textures, recompiling shaders, etc.

Might this step include fixing broken/incorrect shaders such as those in Halo 1?

"Additionally, with the original MCC, peer hosting was used for matchmade games as a fallback if dedicated servers weren't available for whatever reason. We're moving to a model where dedicated servers will now be guaranteed for all matchmade games."

HALLEFRICKINLUJAH!!!!!!!

I hope you realize how frustrating it was to have dedicated servers, which were promoted as a feature and given as the reason why Halo 1 was able to work online, barely work after launch day, if at all, then see Halo 5 use them 100% of the time.

Would be nice to have them in custom games too, even if only for Halo 1.

Not inflammatory at all. :-)

How about that the game was broken AF, that should have been good enough reason 3 years ago.

Yup.

The menus always felt placeholder-y.

I agree.

MCC was a dumpster fire at launch

Dumpster fire? It was a whole gawt-dang TIRE FIRE! And arguably still is!

Actually hearing from people who ran the project, and proper apologies no less, is a good sign. As are the few things so far that have firm promises of being actually fixed (mostly networking at this point). But the original Halo trilogy deserves more. It deserves Microsoft's full respect, as not only are they beloved, pioneering games, they are the games that made the entire Xbox brand successful. So do the right thing. Punt Gearbox's Halo 1 PC code. Make Halo 2 MP play "exactly as it shipped 10 years ago". And make Halo 3 play exactly the same, if not better than it does on Xbox 360 and Xbox One BC. Show everyone what made Halo Halo.

Halo: Combat Evolved is now 16 years old | ResetEra

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
As good as it is as other says it's being worked on...

It should not have been such a problem in the first place, it really does mean it was poorly put together and that is really bad service to Halo fans. The games and series deserves a lot better.

I don't think it's wrong to point out that yeah, it's been a really long time. The OG Halo trilogy are pretty timeless to me so I personally don't mind but years is regardless a long time to wait.

And of course I would like to see a PC version but then I can also imagine it will be Windows store exclusive.....

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
As good as it is as other says it's being worked on...

It should not have been such a problem in the first place, it really does mean it was poorly put together and that is really bad service to Halo fans. The games and series deserves a lot better.

I don't think it's wrong to point out that yeah, it's been a really long time. The OG Halo trilogy are pretty timeless to me so I personally don't mind but years is regardless a long time to wait.

And of course I would like to see a PC version but then I can also imagine it will be Windows store exclusive.....

OT but excellent avatar.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Honestly, no. Truth be told I was blowing off leftover steam more over the Reach TU than 4, and by blowing off I mean that post made me go "Maybe I went a little too hard" and now I'm much more chill about developers being caught between a rock and a hard place. Plus with my short journey through the sausage factory as a Cartographer meant I was a little more than wrapped up in it all mentally than probably most community members. I legitimately did not expect it to get the feet it did. I got random Twitter DMs from devs I didn't talk to before going "yo, i read your post on ESPN. Did you know it was there?". My reaction was less "awesome, it's everywhere!" and more "oh god more people than wwmonkey and homeboyd are reading my posts here oh god oh god". And then someone told me a person asked Frankie about the post at one of the cons and I'm like OH GOD PEOPLE ARE READING IT DEFCON 2

Like it got so much stuff off my chest it would have felt fake to do anything like that anymore. If that makes sense to anyone?

Plus there are parts of the post I wish I didn't write. Played up some parts of the data more than I needed to for a point. Didn't need to write it so acidic, either.

And last year I was up in Seattle for things and had breakfast with Frankie. And he's just the most chill and honest person, even after you .txt'd his studio all over the internet years ago. It's been 5 years, everyone all around is now older and a bit wiser in the community. The industry is starting to get a bit more open now, and I hope gamers encourage this "we're trying this, and it might not work out" type of posts that 343, Bungie, Ubi, etc et all are doing now. Some things won't work out, but that's videogames for you. But people also don't need to punish a good deed by interpreting something as a promise when it was openly labeled as a maybe, and we can see more big studios continue this kind of conversation.

Everyone and their aunt has said their piece on MCC. It happened. 343 is doing the right thing by coming back to it, and they now have a dedicated legacy sustain strike team, which was probably my main issue back then to the point I'm surprised they didn't change my gamertag to Legacy Sustain. The blog gave me the information I love hearing. And truth be told, I've played like 30 total games of Halo 5. I'm not qualified to speak on Halo 5 for anyone. You can still ask me about 6GB of Reach .maps though.

My main hope is they streamline the controls for the next game. 5's controls make me feel like Caboose in RvB sometimes. "Why are there six pedals when there's only four directions?"
Wow. Lot more of a response than I was expecting. But thanks. You write well. Even that brief explanation was a good read. Completely understandable as far as your explanation though! Thanks for the thoroughness.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
why do you keep going on with this?

The "transparency" has to do with fixing the MCC that people have already bought. I don't know how a potential PC release has anything to do with that. Trying to extend the "transparency" talk to mean "343i should answer every question anyone could ever have related to current and future Halo games or they aren't telling the truth" makes me question what you're trying to say here...