• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Halo MCC collection come to Switch

• Yes

Votes: 372 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 896 70.7%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Either Halo remastered/Halo 2 or 3 would be insanely good for me. Imagine being able to play them on the go. And even if its not the MCC, having the first entry would leave the door for further ports.
I'd love to play Halo on the go, but unless it comes in a full package like MCC I can't see it happening. Would love to be wrong tho! I'd finally get some folks of mine to play...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose, but all xgs titles on the switch have been identical ports so far and I don't think that will change.

And did you really write "M$"? Cause for a second I thought it was 2005, and those were better time ya know. Ugh now I'm gonna cry 😭

Edit forgot the dollar sign lol
They already switched up the release schedule on Steam/PC - so they will adapt if necessary. I dont see them using 343i ressources on a Switch port when they have to prepare for a massive current/next gen Halo.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
They got Witcher 3 on a 32 GB cart, I think they could manage.
And remember a port doesn't have to have absolute parity with the original and historically rarely do.
It's more than just space, too. We're at 11 game engines + UE4 for Reach customization.

The Witcher 3 on Switch is the full game. 343i can't get Reach to fit in the Xbox One's memory. I don't really see how anyone would like MCC on Switch with half the games missing lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
They already switched up the release schedule on Steam/PC - so they will adapt if necessary. I dont see them using 343i ressources on a Switch port when they have to prepare for a massive current/next gen Halo.
Man don't remind me, we should already have Reach on PC ya know. I'd like to see it run without screen tearing for once lol (at least Xbox bc fixes this problem but the framerate can still be a bit butt).

And yeah at least we can agree that 343i is all hands-on Deck with Infinite.

I personally don't see split ports like that happening, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

The worst/best case scenario is they pull a Capcom and just release them split up lol

Yeah that'd be the way to go at it man. I don't see it happening but feed me rotten carrots if I'm wrong (^3^♪

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Now whether I get it or not is a different story. It's kinda hard for me to separate Halo from the Mountain Dew and Doritos tie ins, I'd feel.... odd playing it.
You can't play a game because of an ad campaign involving a soft drink and chips?

giphy.gif

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
No, plus it would be a bad port right?

I mean the fact some of these are 360 games is confusing me, but I think that'd be hard for switch right?

Plus, Nintendo doesn't have a live services infrastructure. Plus, MCC is like 800GB and Switch had like 32GB.

The whole thing is a bad fit. But sure, I wish.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Even in the thick of all the rumors batching MS games like Cuphead, Ori and Halo coming to Switch, I just never believed Microsoft would allow those games to come over.

Even after Cuphead came to the Switch, I figured Microsoft doesn't exactly own Studio MDHR, so it wasn't out of the question Cuphead would appear.

But after Ori it feels different, I get the feeling I might need to see the Rare Replay rumor come first, then I'll believe Halo is coming to the Switch. I'm a lot more inclined to believe now than I first was though.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
No, plus it would be a bad port right?

I mean the fact some of these are 360 games is confusing me, but I think that'd be hard for switch right?

Plus, Nintendo doesn't have a live services infrastructure. Plus, MCC is like 800GB and Switch had like 32GB.

The whole thing is a bad fit. But sure, I wish.
A direct port would be a mess. It would depend on how is handled (individual releases, ports of the 360 versions with the 360 assets, etc.)

But Switch is more than able of running 360 games. Online or whatever live services should work since there are MMORPGs and bigger online games that run more than fine on Switch.

Game is currently 87.5GB on Xbox One. (with ODST).

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The MC Collection would be a headache to try and getting it running well I assume? I would love 4 player Halo on the Switch.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I do not understand the people trying to dismiss it by saying they wouldn't be able to get it to run on the Switch due to how long they took to get it right on XBONE. Their poor ports to XBONE have no bearing on porting any of the games to Switch. It's a different system. The Switch is stronger than the XBOX and Xbox 360. All of the games in MCC could run on Switch from a pure power standpoint. Is some fine tuning needed to get it on the platform? Obviously, but it's completely within the realm of possibility.

Yes there will be Halo on Switch.
And there you go, as good as confirmed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think individual ports are more likely than a whole collection, but neither are impossible.

Halo 1 and 2 ran on the original Xbox. Halo 3 and 4 and Reach (and Halo 1 Anniversary) ran on the Xbox 360. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that the Switch, with way more resources than the Xbox 360, couldn't run these.

Don't get hung up on the "Master Chief Collection" name and assume it's going to be identical to the Xbox One ports.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think individual ports are more likely than a whole collection, but neither are impossible.

Halo 1 and 2 ran on the original Xbox. Halo 3 and 4 and Reach (and Halo 1 Anniversary) ran on the Xbox 360. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that the Switch, with way more resources than the Xbox 360, couldn't run these.

Don't get hung up on the "Master Chief Collection" name and assume it's going to be identical to the Xbox One ports.
I agree with this. It may not be one release that is called the MCC, but I think all of the games in the MCC will hit the system and be purchaseable separately -- although maybe not simultaneously, effectively being the same thing. It's basically what they're doing with MCC on PC anyway.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
xCloud on Switch could solve any porting issue they may have, so yeah- I can see it happening via streaming. Then if there's enough support/sales I could see the games being ported piecemeal or in smaller collections.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It would be so damn crazy to see Xbox's biggest IP show up on a Nintendo platform that I had to vote no. Do I want it to? Hell yes. It's just to unbelievable to be true for me. If it does happen, Master Chief is in Smash too.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's funny comparing Microsoft's output to other Switch Third parties:

EA:
FIFA 18
FIFA 19
FIFA 20
FE
Unravel 2

Microsoft:
Ori & the Blind Forest
Cuphead
Minecraft
Hellblade (maybe doesn't count)

They're certainly on their way to being one of the better ones

Nov 3, 2017
Does the PC version of Halo: MCC run the older games natively or are they somehow emulated using a proprietary 360 emulator?

Dec 2, 2017
I agree with the poster above. I think either rare replay or just the banjo games will. If the whole of rare replay comes, I will change my side to thinking Halo is gonna happen.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

EA:
FIFA 18
FIFA 19
FIFA 20
FE
Unravel 2

Microsoft:
Ori & the Blind Forest
Cuphead
Minecraft

Yeah - Minecraft Dungeon should be a big one on Switch as well. Game looks really good.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

EA:
FIFA 18
FIFA 19
FIFA 20
FE
Unravel 2

Microsoft:
Ori & the Blind Forest
Cuphead
Minecraft

MS to become the best 3rd party support for the switch.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
343i can't get Reach to fit in the Xbox One's memory. I don't really see how anyone would like MCC on Switch with half the games missing lol.
While there's no disputing that they said this (well, they said specifically that adding Reach and the new menu was pushing it over, but semantics), I've seen nobody yet state why exactly this limitation exists and exactly what legacy issue is causing it. Reach alone won't be using all 5GB, it fit into 448MB after all. Remember that what 343 said is at the moment that's the problem they have. They will of course fix this problem (I doubt they would have mentioned it if they didn't already have possible solutions penned), and the solution to that could very well be the stepping stone to allowing MCC as a whole to run with a more limited memory landscape. Not to mention the savings you'd make by default of reducing the VRAM footprint with lower resolution textures and such, or even just cutting back on OS dependent resources.

This of course only addresses the physical limitations. Never say never, nobody would have expected Xbox Live on the Switch a couple of years ago after all, but Halo? I'd be rather surprised myself.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
A direct port would be a mess. It would depend on how is handled (individual releases, ports of the 360 versions with the 360 assets, etc.)

But Switch is more than able of running 360 games. Online or whatever live services should work since there are MMORPGs and bigger online games that run more than fine on Switch.

Game is currently 87.5GB on Xbox One. (with ODST).

Wow how time flies. MCC used to be the definition of huge game to me. Now 87.5 is like normal. Destiny 2 weighs 88GB and is about to go to 165...

But yeah the other issues persist.

Certain games are so sprawling they feel like they just cant fit on Switch, Cyberpunk 2077 comes to mind. But then again, I'd have put Witcher 3 in that class, and here we are.

All that said still not going to happen. Stuff like cuphead and Ori are one thing. They fit so well on Switch and I just get it. Stuff like Halo is another entirely, in terms of brand. I think MS wouldn't do this for competitive reasons alone.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anniversary versions of the first two games and vanilla ports of the 360 ones would probably be feasible, but I feel like Halo is still the kind of thing Microsoft wouldn't want on other systems even though the brand isn't really what it used to be

I'd be super in for it though, personally, if by some miracle it happened