• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So Halo Infinite is having a 2x XP promo. Usually I have no issue with this at all, it's w/e, but it actually seems super not well thought out for Halo Infinite.

1. There is no game XP, all XP is earned via challenges (which I think is bad)
2. The 2x XP is TIMED, so if you don't complete whatever challenge, you just wasted the 2x XP boost

It honestly really seems like there was a XP system at some point in this game that was just ripped out, because this promotion is pretty bad, wouldn't it make sense rather than boosting your XP for a time, you can just select to boost challenges instead? It would do the same thing but not have a lot of waste attached to it. That or you know....add actual game XP earning into the game?

Sep 19, 2020
I have seen many games now with timed XP boosts that have seemingly come and gone with no one throwing a hammer at their monitor in anger. There's no harm in yet another one being thrown in.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The XP was like this in the beta as well wasn't it? I recall you didn't really get much unless you were doing the challenges and I wasn't a fan of that either.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
if your timer runs out just eat more pringles what's the problem

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They mentioned in the technical preview feedback that they were looking into making the 2X XP Boosts a set number of challenges vs timer.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a really trivial thing to get upset over.
I am not really upset, just really confused is all. 2x XP boosts make sense if the game has a more common stream on XP earn, but this only has one path to XP that you might not complete within the timeframe of popping one of these boosts.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
My understanding is that the "earn XP through challenges" thing is either only for the flight and/or a temporary way of handling XP. If it lasts even a month after launch, though, it's not hard to predict a major backlash against it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If this makes it in for launch then yeah this will be a non-issue then thankfully.
It's specifically called out it would be a post launch change once they evaluate and figure out what direction they want to go.

As for the XP boost timers counting down while out of a match, we will be looking at improving this experience post launch.

My understanding is that the "earn XP through challenges" thing is either only for the flight and/or a temporary way of handling XP. If it lasts even a month after launch, though, it's not hard to predict a major backlash against it.
It'll be that way at least through the first Season/Battlepass since it's free to all players. We'll see if it changes once the Battlepass becomes paid.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So essentially save up the 2x boosts if you get them.
Yes and no. There will definitely be a benefit to popping one here and there as you get close to completing some of the higher value challenges to help you rank up faster through the Battlepass if there is armor or coatings you want to unlock sooner.

Also, these 2X boosts are rewards within the Battlepass itself, along with challenge swaps.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I stopped worrying about this once they said there is a challenge that says Play 1 match, which is then replaced by one that says Play 2 matches, and so on. You basically get per match XP, it is just tied to a challenge.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
timed xp bonuses are nothing close to new + the bonuses are tied directly to the pass already

also...wait for the game lmao

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
timed xp bonuses are nothing close to new + the bonuses are tied directly to the pass already

also...wait for the game lmao
You are correct that they are not new and I'm not upset about them being in, but what I'm saying is it seems not well thought out. Like in CoD if I pop a 2x XP I get that applied to game XP, which this lacks, it's challenge only. They are looking to change this, but it won't be until post launch.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
You are correct that they are not new and I'm not upset about them being in, but what I'm saying is it seems not well thought out. Like in CoD if I pop a 2x XP I get that applied to game XP, which this lacks, it's challenge only. They are looking to change this, but it won't be until post launch.
I mean we will see what they change it to but I dont see how it doesnt apply to what they have now?
the challanges are something like 'Complete 2 matches' which would give you 500xp towards your season, popping the x2 bonus would make that worth 1000xp

Dont get me wrong I agree its not as straight forward as COD but its also not hard to see it working imo

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope they add some kind of performance-based XP, even if it's the same kind of every match challenges they're talking about. Positive play going unrewarded from a progression standpoint is strange.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see the big deal, this is how most of the XP boost things work, only difference is in Halo you gain XP by doing challenges, based on what I've heard of the challenges the game has sound like they'll be pretty trivial to complete, at least some of them.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played the game, so I feel qualified to say that bad design choices have really screwed it up.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
These are confirmed details of the game and going by the flight, while most things can be completed in a match or two, you run the very real chance of running out of your 2x boost mid-game and loosing that XP which again is the ONLY way to earn the XP.

The devs stated that the progress was accelerated in the beta, I believe.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree OP. I found this annoying and confusing in the beta. The two don't work together

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I thought the challenge thing was just to level up battle passes, but there will also be XP for your overall account level like Halo 5's SR 1-152. At least, that's what I assume.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
What are examples of the in game challenges?
From their tech test outcomes article

From a player feedback perspective, we heard the requests to earn XP per-match outside of Challenges as well as to have XP Boost timers only count down while in a match. One of the items that wasn't fully there in the Tech Preview was our Daily Challenge model that provides Challenges along the lines of "Play X Number of Games" that will repeat throughout the day. These Challenges are replaced after completion and provide a regular XP drop for your Battle Pass just for playing matches and having fun during your sessions with Halo Infinite. The Weekly Challenges are where you will see your more specific challenges that you might recognize from other games; for example, "Get 10 kills with a Battle Rifle." There is significantly greater depth with the Weekly Challenges than you saw in the Tech Preview that we will go through in the future.

We should be hearing more about this specifically soon apparently. There's an Inside Infinite article coming next Thursday but I think we might get something before that.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
How about playing because it's fun?

qELBA8h9l4HzBOyUwVaMZnPn74Xmhelb74DA2E5GAj8.gif

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
With the new blog we now know these last 30min regardless of your playing or not. I still think this system seems very bad. Like it's good to know they are looking at it post release, but there are just some glaring issues that I'm shocked it's launching with.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
We have devolved into XP slander on an unreleased game huh?

From what I played in the tech preview, I really liked the battle pass / challenge system 🤷

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
We have devolved into XP slander on an unreleased game huh?

From what I played in the tech preview, I really liked the battle pass / challenge system 🤷
I don't have an issue with the BP or Challenge system? I have an issue with a promo and BP track item being poorly implemented and already being looked at by devs to change but still launching with issues regardless.

I actually really liked the challenge stuff they showed in this latest update today.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I stopped worrying about this once they said there is a challenge that says Play 1 match, which is then replaced by one that says Play 2 matches, and so on. You basically get per match XP, it is just tied to a challenge.

Yep same here. I mean they should absolutely tweak stuff (30 minute xp boost timer should only countdown while in matches, adding match XP for completed/winning games, etc) but overall I'm okay with the system for now considering I'll only be playing for a few hours per day max: "Each day, a player's allotment of Daily Challenges will refresh and reset back to "Stage One" again and the cycle continues. At launch, we anticipate that on average, it should take a player 16 to 18 hours of playing, and eventually winning, before they run out of Daily Challenges."

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How about playing because it's fun?
Yeah no. This isn't 2007, goalless multiplayer playing ain't gonna cut it. People want progression, things to chase, feeling like you're doing something, etc.

Hell Halo 3 itself wasn't even goalless. People went hard to try reaching that illusive General rank. I know I damn well tried, but I hit my ceiling at rank 41 and could never reach that damn Brigadier.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no. This isn't 2007, goalless multiplayer playing ain't gonna cut it. People want progression, things to chase, feeling like you're doing something, etc.

Hell Halo 3 itself wasn't even goalless. People went hard to try reaching that illusive General rank. I know I damn well tried, but I hit my ceiling at rank 41 and could never reach that damn Brigadier.
Well, it's bad if the game is only interesting if you have goals besides "it's fun to kill other players".

I don't want to play a checklist where I can shoot other people in between checks. I want to play a game that is great even if I don't have anything to do or progression.

Different tastes, I guess

Last edited:
OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

I'm actually fine with goaless and even fine with the overall challenge system. My complaint is the 2x EXP gain is poorly thought out and they are acknowledging the flaws with it, but it's still going to be in a rough shape when it launches.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
So Halo Infinite is having a 2x XP promo. Usually I have no issue with this at all, it's w/e, but it actually seems super not well thought out for Halo Infinite.

1. There is no game XP, all XP is earned via challenges (which I think is bad)
2. The 2x XP is TIMED, so if you don't complete whatever challenge, you just wasted the 2x XP boost

Wait. I'm confused. Normal level and battle pass level are two separate things in the game, right? You can increase your battle pass level by completing challenges, but your normal level increases in the normal way (kills, completed matches, etc). So 2XP is not useless if you want to reach max level faster.