• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I will wait to see ok the quality of the story, could be good.

The villain speech falls quite flat though when I so far have no emotional attachment to the pilot or context for how this villain is possibly a threat in any way to Master Chief considering the piles and piles of bodies he's left in his wake.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Lots of questions regarding the lore.

While individuals are crying over graphics on other threads, it is the exploration aspects that have me excited for this.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I thought the fighting looked fast and fun, and I'm very excited at the possibility that this is a Metrodvania-style open world game.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Halo 4 felt like the start of something big imho.

Halo 5 felt like a reaction to Halo 4's reception rather than what Halo 4 set up

Halo Infinite feels like a reaction to Halo 5's reception rather than what Halo 5 set up

Worried Halo Infinite 2 will be the same.
343i's entire tenure has basically just been hyper-reactionary, without caring how it affects the overall experience or just trying to fix the issues people have. People think the Didact is kinda boring in-game, and has a much better motivation and characterisation in the game's terminals? CUT HIM COMPLETELY, KILL HIM OFF IN A COMIC! THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT! MP is criticised as too casual/focused on BTB? SORRY NEWBS, SWEATS-ONLY ARENA! Spartan Ops is not very fun, and the missions don't really seem all that involved with the story being told in the CG cutscenes? SCRAP IT, KILL THAT FUCKER 'MDAMA AT THE BEGINNING OF 5! Prometheans are boring to fight against, particularly the bullet sponge Knights? Admittedly, this one they did try to fix by shifting the Knight to be the Promethean's Hunter equivalent and creating the Soldier for the role of their main infantry, but they still didn't seem to fundamentally grasp why people thought the faction as a whole was unfun to fight.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
calling it now, the final shot of the game is the pilot's dog tags or ID badge or something and you find out his name is John.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
the villain speech was not good. i wanna see what direction they take Halo. them forgetting 4 and 5 is a good thing tho.
The villain's speech was super lame and generic. I would say that's not really a big deal since I don't necessarily need writing in Halo to be super fresh and unique or anything, but what is somewhat worrying to me is how proud of it they seem to be. They made that speech completely take over (and end) the gameplay demo, as if it's the big stinger that is going to really hook you, and they've used it as the framing device for the separate gameplay trailer as well.

It reminds me a little bit of Ubisoft with Far Cry, where they really think you're really really going to care about what the main villain has to say.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I just played through all of the games and recalled the insane hype I felt for 2 and 3. Feeling like you're the lone hero to save the galaxy against these giant armadas. Felt like new Star Wars trilogy size hype. Now it's spend a giant campaign defending the dozenth ring against a guy who worked for the guy in the RTS sequel only the die hard might have played.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. The protagonists dont know what happened after H5 and I want to forget H5 happend. A mutually beneficial situation.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
While the Halo lore has been strong, the execution of said storytelling in the games has always been subpar. I hope they do it well enough to keep us engaged through a 2x length campaign.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
calling it now, the final shot of the game is the pilot's dog tags or ID badge or something and you find out his name is John.

343 let the actor name the character so I doubt any story stuff was written specifically for the name.

The Pilot's name will be revealed during the course of the campaign. "He ended up being named by the actor who plays him", said Crocker, the game's associate creative director. "The name is actually his two best friends from childhood."

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It is but they also ignored the fucking story and did a whoops it's years later sorry you don't know shit.

It doesnt take a huge stretch of the imagine to consider that we might learn what happened since H5, over the course of Infinite.

0ean

Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I am actually optimistic about this Halo. I did not enjoy the liner nature of Halo 4 and the chopping back and forth story of Halo 5.

Gameplay of the campaign looks decent, it seems all cut-scenes for the game will be running in-game which I am ok with. I just hope each "open world" section gets bigger rather than having just 2-3 objectives on each platform. Graphics aren't an issue for me and I'm actually pleased with the game going back to its roots colour scheme.

Day one player rolling up on XSX.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay looks top-shelf, but the story details... do not fill me with confidence. I was really, genuinely hyped by the end of H5. A story of the Chief on the run with the crew of the Infinity, fighting Cortana and her Created against impossible odds. This features exactly none of that.

I like the banished, and of course I'm there day 1, but... I'll probably still be thinking about what could've been. 343 gotta learn to stick to their guns.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I will wait to see ok the quality of the story, could be good.

The villain speech falls quite flat though when I so far have no emotional attachment to the pilot or context for how this villain is possibly a threat in any way to Master Chief considering the piles and piles of bodies he's left in his wake.

The villain's speech was super lame and generic. I would say that's not really a big deal since I don't necessarily need writing in Halo to be super fresh and unique or anything, but what is somewhat worrying to me is how proud of it they seem to be. They made that speech completely take over (and end) the gameplay demo, as if it's the big stinger that is going to really hook you, and they've used it as the framing device for the separate gameplay trailer as well.

It reminds me a little bit of Ubisoft with Far Cry, where they really think you're really really going to care about what the main villain has to say.

Agreed. I feel like Cortana could actually be worked into a good villain in Infinite if they tried. Powerful, interesting, and has an emotional attachment to Chief. Anything is better than a Brute. But hey, maybe he'll be great with more context.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
343 let the actor name the character so I doubt any story stuff was written specifically for the name.
Oh that's pretty neat actually. The fact that they've been going out of their way not to give him a name so far made it feel like they were gonna pull a Dark Knight Rises on us at some point.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The state of affairs at the end of H5 made absolutely no sense. I was wondering what type of contrived nonsense 343 would have to pull in order to manage to have our heroes survive.

I'm not completely thrilled with the time jump, but I am relieved to be spared whatever malarkey was originally planned carry us out of H5s cliffhanger.

Its interesting that Harbinger and this new Brute are in service to Atriox. Did Atriox defeat Cortana? Is Harbinger Cortana? What's the power hierarchy?

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
This WWE brute feels so tonally out of place. Atriox and to a lesser extent Pavium and Voridus were sophisticated and not your run-of-the-mill saturday morning cartoon villain.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
"'Chief and the Pilot are in exactly the same position as the player when the game starts,' Crocker said. "They don't know what's happened. They're learning what's happening, together.'"

"...proclaims this Halo ring as his last stand, knowing that Master Chief is coming for him."

What. How does he know that.

Does he only know he's coming after Chief starts mowing through his forces?

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dominus_Ghaul_Profile.png
Now that is a villain.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

Especially if this is supposed to be THE Halo game for 10 years, a lengthy and very long Halo campaign would help cement that.

Of course, if it is that long, I would hope they would have methods to shorten the length for players not wanting to spend all that time working through the campaign - side quests and whatnot extend the length of the campaign (note: interesting side quests) but main campaign is 10-15 hours if you just skip all the side quests (which can extend the game to 30-50 hours). I'd be okay with that.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Hopefully the book that's coming out later this year helps bridge the gap because I have no idea how we go from The Created taking over the galaxy at the end of Halo 5 to... The Banished being in control of this Halo and all these references to them having "won the war".
I haven't kept up with the extended fiction since Silentum, and I didn't read past The Glasslands because I didn't like the characters and direction of the story. So I've been finding myself pretty lost in Halos' fiction for a while, so I hope 343 catches up us casual fans somehow.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
"'Chief and the Pilot are in exactly the same position as the player when the game starts,' Crocker said. "They don't know what's happened. They're learning what's happening, together.'"

"...proclaims this Halo ring as his last stand, knowing that Master Chief is coming for him."

I'm guessing the gameplay we saw was not the first mission in the game or whatever. It seems like a Banished ship finds you before you land on the ring based on the 2019 trailer.

Jan 4, 2019
I replayed Halo 5 yesterday due to hype, and not playing it all the way through on the year of release. I think the ending of Halo 5 is cool, and I'm pretty disappointed it's not the main focus on Infinite. Although it seems impossible to reboot if you continue from that ending. Unless the banished are serving the created I don't feel they have the gravitas required for the lore at the current point in time.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017

I assumed he thought that it being a Halo ring and all Chief would eventually come for it.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing the gameplay we saw was not the first mission in the game or whatever. It seems like a Banished ship finds you before you land on the ring based on the 2019 trailer.

Correct, it-s about 4 hours into the game.

I replayed Halo 5 yesterday due to hype, and not playing it all the way through on the year of release. I think the ending of Halo 5 is cool, and I'm pretty disappointed it's not the main focus on Infinite. Although it seems impossible to reboot if you continue from that ending. Unless the banished are serving the created I don't feel they have the gravitas required for the lore at the current point in time.

343 have said the game will continue the story from H5, so Cortana and the Created will be there. The villain in the trailer refers to someone called the Harbinger, which is likely Cortana, given the 343 devs response to the IGN reporters question assuming Harbinger was a he.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad they acknowledged the messy lore issue (Halo 5 was ridiculously bad with this) but it remains to be seen how far they will follow through on it.

At least there's that database now for lore entries.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Especially if this is supposed to be THE Halo game for 10 years, a lengthy and very long Halo campaign would help cement that.

Of course, if it is that long, I would hope they would have methods to shorten the length for players not wanting to spend all that time working through the campaign - side quests and whatnot extend the length of the campaign (note: interesting side quests) but main campaign is 10-15 hours if you just skip all the side quests (which can extend the game to 30-50 hours). I'd be okay with that.
If we get side quests they should be the God of war variant unique locations and fights sparse in number but tell a decent story

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird that Banished here sound like some kind of fanatics while they're specifically left Covenant to NOT be with fanatics.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Gameplay looks top-shelf, but the story details... do not fill me with confidence. I was really, genuinely hyped by the end of H5. A story of the Chief on the run with the crew of the Infinity, fighting Cortana and her Created against impossible odds. This features exactly none of that.

I like the banished, and of course I'm there day 1, but... I'll probably still be thinking about what could've been. 343 gotta learn to stick to their guns.

I'll always maintain that an A.I uprising led by Evil Cortana was bad idea and they shouldn't have gone along with it