• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018
Sounds pretty similiar to me: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/mdbc04/banished_scarab_possibly_confirmed_the_image_of/

If true, I hope it's as fun to fight as the H3 Scarab.

I love the Banished Scarab in Halo Wars 2. Bring these !!

giphy.gif

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
The ambiance of the Forerunner structure totally sold me. This game will sound phenomenal.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh man. Those sounds are fan-fucking-tastic. That skewer sounds absolutely brutal. Like a nail gun designed to shoot out railroad spikes. Perfect for a Jiralhanae weapon

Tbh everything they shared since the delay is just outstanding. I feel this game can't meet my expectations, I'm so hyped for this.

After nearly a decade, 343i has finally learned the art of the Classic Bungie Style Tease the hype is absolutely off the charts

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
That BR is perfect .

I wonder what our Spartans and movement will sound like in multiplayer, never quite liked the sounds you made in Halo 5.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
that music in MP is totally a hint of that rumored battlefront style game mode isnt it

that game would start blaring music during important game sequences

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Love the deep dive into the audio department! Best article yet. Everything is sounding incredible.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Love the emphasis on punchier sounds with less crowding, player-directed sounds being boosted to prominence, the Acoustic Simulation system with its rays and voxelization, virtual surround sound, dynamic audio emitters... all taken together, this sounds like an incredible upgrade.

multiplayermap_voxels_infiniteaudio-ff4a5b728aeb451594b8a5a681aecc9a.jpg

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
The part about the Acoustic Simulation system pinpointing how sound travels from source to location around obstacles and obstructions was so damn nerdy. I love it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Listening to the songs on Spotify (even though I heard them on YouTube). So good

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
"The result was too many sounds consistently playing which made it more difficult for some of the most important sounds - like enemy's weapon fire, explosions, or bullet impacts - to really register with the player."

I can definitely vouch for this happening in Halo 5. Don't get me wrong, the sounds in both 4 and 5 to me were fan.ta.stic, and especially in H5, you knew exactly what gun was firing, which vehicles were moving around, the Spartan noises, etc. The game sounded excellent.

However, there were indeed times in Halo 5 when there would be so much happening, and so much going on, that the soundscape would become a bit overwhelming and muddled together. I'm glad to see them taking a different approach to Infinite's sound design, and hopefully, things can register and, "breathe" more.

"We lost a friendly! Enemy on the Catwalk! Grabbing Shotgun! Enemy has sniper!"

While I liked the information, it was just too much all at once.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Really appreciate all the detail -- making a game like this sounds (heh) incredibly difficult. The amount of content and systems that have to all come together is immense. And lots of stuff to like in this blog - those BR sounds are amazing and the montage of all the different sounds was pretty great.

Glad they're getting the extra year and really looking forward to it.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I made a thread last year ripping the Halo 5 multiplayer maps, including the complete lack of mysterious and haunting ambience that was present in so many early Halo maps.

www.resetera.com

I recently played Halo 5 for the first time and the multiplayer maps are absolutely horrible. What happened?

I never played Halo 5 when it came out back in 2015. I felt burned by Halo 4, and once I saw the continuation of that art design in Halo 5, along with the lack of any LAN or split-screen play, I avoided the game completely. Since Halo 5 is on Game Pass, though, I decided to try it out recently...

And now we have this -

This is just incredible. I swear if I didn't know any better I would have said this is from Halo: CE. I hope this kind of ambience is present on the multiplayer maps as well. It just adds so much character to the game.

Same here! Part of why I love Halo CE so much is because of the incredible ambiance the game has and I am super happy that it's returning in Halo Infinite. That Forerunner Interior video just made me very excited!

Also the BR shots sound fantastic!! I am very appreciative of today's blog post and it's looking like they're sticking with releasing later this year.

Jun 10, 2018
Can't wait to finally play it. The audio is sounding great. Also good to see 343 reiterating a Fall release. Definitely sounds like September or October release. If it were November they'd be saying Holiday.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
The weapon sounds are great, something that I think have been pretty mediocre from 343 in the past (the human ones at least). Ths BR sounds Punchy without sacrificing fullness/balance. The H4-5 DMR, for example, is punchy but has no shape to the sound, like the microphone was way too close to the source when recording or something.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the Halo Infinite BR sound is just monstrous. It sounds like a burst-fire AWP from CSGO.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Wonder if this game will run on Windows 7. Seems to have been the case for all "Windows 10" games so far, even Anthem.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
That audio design is fantastic. I thought H4's direction was particularly lacking but 5 was a great step in the right direction and this looks to be a step further.

Everything I've seen about this game since the unveil last year has looked super promising. Really hoping we get a good Halo game this year. I miss this series so much!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
With all the work they're putting into spatial audio I really hope someday we get VR support for Infinite (plus MCC). Good spatial audio solutions (with headphones) + head tracking in VR is one of the most impressive things in immersive media right now. Audio sources suddenly seem there in a specific spot in 3d space in a way that just isn't felt in the same way when playing on a flatscreen.

Regardless Infinite is a game that seems deserving of a good audio setup. I don't have the dosh for a decent 5.1 setup but fully plan on using my Philips SHP9500 which has a decent sound stage for directional audio.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so, but it could always be some random wildlife or even a new scream for the Prometheans.

I know people didn't like them but I fully expect Prometheans to be in the game.

If I had to guess at a progression...

Banished -> Prometheans -> Flood

And then hopefully the gameplay allows for 4 way fights between all of them and the UNSC.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
See, I'm kinda not expecting Prometheans, not as they were. I'd bet on Cortana having done some tinkering after the end of 5.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Very interesting insight into the audio side of things, a part of game design which often gets overlooked beyond the music. Really happy to see confirmation of DTS:X and Atmos support, proper virtual 3d audio is huge for me. It's a massive upgrade over traditional surround and it almost feels like I'm jumping back a generation when I play a game without DTS:X now.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope people are right about those sounds being a Scarab, it was always disappointing that you didn't fight any in Reach and they didn't even appear in 4 and 5. And if it is a Scarab please be more Halo 3 like as opposed to 2. The Scarab stand ins in 4 and 5 (Lich Kraken) and were more like 2.
I know people didn't like them but I fully expect Prometheans to be in the game.

If I had to guess at a progression...

Banished -> Prometheans -> Flood

And then hopefully the gameplay allows for 4 way fights between all of them and the UNSC.
Hard to say, they've talked a lot about how they don't want anything to distract from the Chief vs Banished story. I'm sure we'll get them eventually, but I wouldn't be shocked if the base game campaign only has the Banished.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say, they've talked a lot about how they don't want anything to distract from the Chief vs Banished story. I'm sure we'll get them eventually, but I wouldn't be shocked if the base game campaign only has the Banished.

...Right I forgot this will technically be a live service game... Like I don't mind live service games but I didn't really want Halo to be one.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I really hope people are right about those sounds being a Scarab, it was always disappointing that you didn't fight any in Reach and they didn't even appear in 4 and 5. And if it is a Scarab please be more Halo 3 like as opposed to 2. The Scarab stand ins in 4 and 5 (Lich Kraken) and were more like 2.

There is no way 343 only included the Banished in a Halo campaign in 2021. It would be so so so slim.

Halo Infinite is supposed to be feel like Halo: CE. Well I'd say the Flood were a pretty big part of the game back then, both in gameplay and atmosphere.

Halo: Infinite is going to continue the story of Cortana going crazy. Considering her army is currently mostly synthetics, it'd be weird not to have Prometheans.

I think the reality is that they wanted/want to keep a lot of stuff secret until release, and that's why they're hiding the game that much. Yes, the game will have campaign expansions (unless one was supposed to release a year after release, so... This year in november), but they can still finish the story and start another one (like with Spartan Ops, still taking place in the same world as 4). I really think Escharum is a deliberately misleading foe. He might just be the antagonist for the first half of the game.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Delaying this game 12 months must have been one of the best decisions Microsoft have made.

it's all sounding great, can't wait to see what the game looks like when they show it off in the summer.

OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
If Scarabs don't dynamically walk around the map as optional objectives to take out then they fucked up.

Can totally see that happening.

Oh why hello there audio that clearly has something in it

The Flood at 15 sec

It really sounds like it does share some similiarities with the sounds from this HW2 cutscene:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

(from last year for those who missed it:)

www.youtube.com

Halo Infinite | Official Soundtrack – Reverie

Humanity's fate hangs in the balance as the Master Chief returns in Halo Infinite to confront the most ruthless foe he's ever faced – the Banished. This song...
www.youtube.com

Halo Infinite | Official Soundtrack – Set a Fire in Your Heart

Humanity's fate hangs in the balance as the Master Chief returns in Halo Infinite to confront the most ruthless foe he's ever faced – the Banished. This song...

No doubt, that's Halo.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
There is no way 343 only included the Banished in a Halo campaign in 2021. It would be so so so slim.

Halo Infinite is supposed to be feel like Halo: CE. Well I'd say the Flood were a pretty big part of the game back then, both in gameplay and atmosphere.

Halo: Infinite is going to continue the story of Cortana going crazy. Considering her army is currently mostly synthetics, it'd be weird not to have Prometheans.

I think the reality is that they wanted/want to keep a lot of stuff secret until release, and that's why they're hiding the game that much. Yes, the game will have campaign expansions (unless one was supposed to release a year after release, so... This year in november), but they can still finish the story and start another one (like with Spartan Ops, still taking place in the same world as 4). I really think Escharum is a deliberately misleading foe. He might just be the antagonist for the first half of the game.
I see it going exactly like CE.

Banished for the first half or so. Flood gets introduced. Prometheans come in as a response.

Maybe a post campaign over world where you can find Prometheans roaming in early areas and Flood infections at night or something. Campaign has to have some GAAS elements for after the story concludes.