• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I just googled shiny concrete and looked at images that make concrete look a lot more shinier than these images. It's fine.

I'm just saying like, the sheen you get from polishing a rock, which is what concrete basically is, isn't a metallic sheen, which is what the games have.

It's all made up of course, but idk, concrete certainly isn't what I'd call it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Wow, these look really good! If 343 can deliver on their promise to go back to Halo's roots, I'll be in day one (assuming I can find a Series X in stock anywhere)

Jul 28, 2020
Most if not all of the shimmering in Control is specular artifact from the ray tracing. The upscaling in Control is excellent.
Not if you're playing it on console at 60fps with no raytracing.

I don't know why you want to argue this, I can see it shimmering. When I play games that run at actual 4k it either doesn't happen, it happens much less OR I'm lying.

I'm not lying.

Maybe you have terrible eyesight or a crap screen. Maybe I have bionic eyes and the best screen ever. Whatever the case stuff that is 4k always looks better in that respect than stuff that isn't when I'm playing it on my 4k screen.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this all looks really good, I hope we get a stellar Halo game.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks pretty good seems like a nice upgrade from what we saw previously. We desperately need an amazing halo game can't even be just good it needs to be great. I really hope they can deliver please take your time and make something that we remember.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Palace of Pain. It was a series of research facilities on the ring, not a tower.

I fully expect it to be in the game, and probably a significant location. But I doubt that's it.
Zeta Halo is such an ideal location for this sorta open world Halo game. I hope there's plenty of hidden deep lore and just cool stuff to find, whether unique encounters, audio logs (looooved the ones in ODST), unique weapon variants, etc. etc.

I love Metroidvanias also and wonder if they will do something like this.

This game will consume me, I can feel it

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
This looks much better than what was shown before.
I love this change in art from Halo 4 and 5. This is IMO how forerunners architecture should look. Much simpler, "cold" look.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This was not discussed with me - but I wonder how many of these sci-go materials existed in that original demo. Are there materials that are a sci-fi metalloid. Not many of us have any items in our life made from solid oxygen for example . How would that look?

I would imagine for this kind of thing you would reference the periodic table. Just grab a couple reference items from elements that kinda fit what you are looking for, and then you would just blend them together, or tweak an existing one slightly. Compare and put that into the Material Shader.

As for your Solid Oxygen question, turns out that it ends up as a bar of semi translucent white/baby blue. You really should Google Image search it, it looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks much, much better than what say at E3 last year. But it still doesn't look like a graphics showcase. I am guessing we are never going to get what we saw in the reveal tech demo. I still hope they improve on this though.

project pat

Aug 30, 2020
I can't really get confident or optimistic about this until we see some enemies in the screenshots, and set get some actual video. Picking choosing some simple landscape shots avoids the worst parts of that original demo.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really get confident or optimistic about this until we see some enemies in the screenshots, and set get some actual video. Picking choosing some simple landscape shots avoids the worst parts of that original demo.
Well we know the brutes are getting a full make over and actually getting HAIR, so I am excited to see when they show them off again.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Well we know the brutes are getting a full make over and actually getting HAIR, so I am excited to see when they show them off again.
Really hope the hair has something like hairworks or they use a similar technique that Red Dead Redemption used for hair on wildlife.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Looks much, much better than what say at E3 last year. But it still doesn't look like a graphics showcase. I am guessing we are never going to get what we saw in the reveal tech demo. I still hope they improve on this though.

You're the third person I've had to remind that the game is still 8 months away, still under development and still getting polish in.

343 has yet to make a visually unappealing game.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope the hair has something like hairworks or they use a similar technique that Red Dead Redemption used for hair on wildlife.
I'm going to assume that would probably be too costly, especially if you have multiple brutes in combat on screen at any one time.
But it still doesn't look like a graphics showcase. I am guessing we are never going to get what we saw in the reveal tech demo. I still hope they improve on this though.
I don't know about that, this comparison that Cartoon_soldier posted earlier in the thread shows it holding up very well:
hi_campaign_tower_cycle_4k-3637f9cabc964b4e91f7af6255aa1294_1.jpg

I would say it looks a lot better, then again people didn't think this shot back in 2018 was very impressive either. Hopefully we see those large Rhino hordes from the 2018 trailer. I think the 2019 trailer cutscene is the graphical high mark from what they have shown, the opening cutscene back in the July demo looked pretty great but not as good as the E3 2019 trailer. Hopefully with the extra time they can hit that bar.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
You're the third person I've had to remind that the game is still 8 months away, still under development and still getting polish in.

343 has yet to make a visually unappealing game.
You do not have to remind everyone, we simply give our opinion on the current screenshots that 343 put out, that they found ready to be showcased to the world. I think everyone is expecting further improvements from now till the end of the year including ray tracing. I think MS/343 wants to adress all the feedback from the initial showing, where the game simply was not finished yet and had has a rough development to say the least.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm going to assume that would probably be too costly, especially if you have multiple brutes in combat on screen at any one time.
I don't know about that, this comparison that Cartoon_soldier posted in earlier in the thread shows it holding up very well:

I would say it looks a lot better, then again people didn't think this shot back in 2018 was very impressive either. Hopefully we see those large Rhino hordes from the 2018 trailer.

What's really not helping the new stuff, is it is absolutely suffering from Halo rocks, which are usually kinda lower poly and not super dynamic to look at -- I wish they went for a more complex and art designed mountainside look like the below, or just added some more texture and shape complexity to the rock walls -- maybe some foliage?

Also, the skybox is looking kinda flat and lower res. It just needs a little more complexity and vibrancy, and I feel like not all of that is an engine thing (though a lot is) but also a art thing.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I like the mountains in the Slipspace demo more. There's also a lot more trees than we've seen in actual Infinite. Granted, I don't think a dense evergreen forest would work well with Halo's gameplay but the current density of trees looks sporadic and unnatural.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
What's really not helping the new stuff, is it is absolutely suffering from Halo rocks, which are usually kinda lower poly and not super dynamic to look at -- I wish they went for a more complex and art designed mountainside look like the below, or just added some more texture and shape complexity to the rock walls -- maybe some foliage?

Also, the skybox is looking kinda flat and lower res. It just needs a little more complexity and vibrancy, and I feel like not all of that is an engine thing (though a lot is) but also a art thing.
Really? The thing that stands out most to me about these new images is how amazing the skybox looks.

Oct 17, 2018
Halo is sprint now. Theyre not going back.
Most likely they won't show ranked hardcore at the MP show. And if they do have a playlist without sprint it'll be on Forge maps I'm guessing. Your probably better off accepting Halo has sprint now and move on to playing something else.

MCC is pretty active and they're bringing out new maps for Halo 3 soon.
Sprint is fine though.
You're acting like I'm wrong, but I'm looking at the top 50 most played Xbox games here and Halo 5 is 47th. Forty-fucking-Seventh. Like how do 343 look at that and pat themselves on the back like "good job team". You can't even use the "bu-but it doesn't get updates" since you have single-player games like Fallout 4 which doesn't get updates with more players. It's laughable. Don't even get me started on the fact that garbage like BF5 and GoW5 have more players.

Problem is players still buy Halo because they hope and pray that 343 don't fuck up this time, yet they do every time. So instead of looking at retention, people look at the copies sold and go "See, 5 sold the most since Halo 3" (which isn't even an achievement since you're competing with Reach and 4, great job).

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I get what you mean about the rocks. I just set that aside as an art choice, the actual rock materials look great. Assuming there are other biomes in the game, then maybe that's where you get different rock formations and cliff sides (like the desert biome from 2018.) With it being cross gen that rules out them using mesh shaders, so I guess they could just go overboard on adding tons of macro break up (it might look a little strange though.)

To be honest I have seen the "flat and low res" comment about the skybox a handful of times now and don't really get it, the clouds don't look noticeably low res to me and the sky/atmosphere looks great to me. Seeing it in motion I think will surely alleviate that feeling a lot, comparing Bungie's static hand drawn skyboxes to Infinite's is going to show a loss in detail but that should be made up for in motion and cloud shadowing. The only thing that irks me a bit is how aggressive their VRS implementation is, at least I assume that's what it is. They could also being using Tier 1 VRS rather than an overly aggressive tier 2 implementation but who knows, they have 7-8 months to tweak and tune it. The game looking this good compared to the July showing, this far out from release is only a good sign for the final release graphically.

Really? The thing that stands out most to me about these new images is how amazing the skybox looks.
Yeah, I think the sky looks fantastic tbh.

Last edited:

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I don't know about that, this comparison that Cartoon_soldier posted earlier in the thread shows it holding up very well:

I would say it looks a lot better, then again people didn't think this shot back in 2018 was very impressive either. Hopefully we see those large Rhino hordes from the 2018 trailer. I think the 2019 trailer cutscene is the graphical high mark from what they have shown, the opening cutscene back in the July demo looked pretty great but not as good as the E3 2019 trailer. Hopefully with the extra time they can hit that bar.

Def looks a lot better now just that comparison shows more details in the trees, grass, plant variation, etc. the gif of the time lapse TOD changes is incredible

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Come on 343, I don't have much faith in you but I want to. I want to be floored by Halo once again. I want to be anxiously waiting to play infinite with my son.

That being said, these screenshots look great for 60-120 fps. I love the cleaner look and technically, 343 has always been great. Not hyped yet but you have my attention again.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

While I hear you, the enemies were indeed some of the more disappointing aspects of the gameplay demo, seeing the improvements in lighting and how the lighting interacts with materials to see some nice texturing (like the weapon comparison posted) makes me feel confident that they too will look loads better.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

The density of the forest and the amazingly detailed mountain still can't be touched. But yeah, this comparison shows off the game's strengths well.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
The density of the forest and the amazingly detailed mountain still can't be touched. But yeah, this comparison shows off the game's strengths well.
I'm assuming those are both at least partially level design trade offs, with the way they talk about the game being easily traversable and dragging out the whole "if you can see it you can go there" tagline. I doubt a dense forest and that sort of mountain side lend themselves well to that design ethos, then again it supposedly a large world so who knows if we will see a forest or mountainous area.

Oct 17, 2018
You sound like you will be very welcoming to new players to the series.
I'm fine with whatever people play. I don't care if people play social or ranked or customs or whatever. I won't judge people on it. I'm just saying that I like ranked "arena" or whatever they're calling the MLG playlist these days and I feel that if they create maps based around sprint, then it ruins the design of the map.

Have 343 actually made 1"iconic" map yet? Like on the level of Pit or Lockout or Blood Gulch etc.?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming those are both at least partially level design trade offs, with the way they talk about the game being easily traversable and dragging out the whole "if you can see it you can go there" tagline. I doubt a dense forest and that sort of mountain side lend themselves well to that design ethos, then again it supposedly a large world so who knows if we will see a forest or mountainous area.

Oh, I'm sure. I always thought that scene in the original trailer looked rad but always wondered how you'd actually traverse a forest like that. Still, I hope some of the inaccessible portions of infinite show forest density to that level.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Drive-by trolling, long history of infractions for similar behaviour
Still looks like shit.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
You're acting like I'm wrong, but I'm looking at the top 50 most played Xbox games here and Halo 5 is 47th. Forty-fucking-Seventh. Like how do 343 look at that and pat themselves on the back like "good job team". You can't even use the "bu-but it doesn't get updates" since you have single-player games like Fallout 4 which doesn't get updates with more players. It's laughable. Don't even get me started on the fact that garbage like BF5 and GoW5 have more players.

Problem is players still buy Halo because they hope and pray that 343 don't fuck up this time, yet they do every time. So instead of looking at retention, people look at the copies sold and go "See, 5 sold the most since Halo 3" (which isn't even an achievement since you're competing with Reach and 4, great job).
I'm not gonna engage with the content of your argument again as you never replied to my last comment, but you should really reconsider your language. Stuff like "basic bitch" and "garbage" won't help with people taking your opinion seriously.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I would imagine for this kind of thing you would reference the periodic table and get a many reference items for the procesed elements you can find to see what looks kinda like what your thinking about, and then you would just blend them together, or tweak an existing one slightly.

As for your Solid Oxygen question, it ends up as a bar of semi translucent white/baby blue. You really should Google Image search it, it's pretty cool.

Thanks for the obnoxious response my friend.
Grammarly , you should really try it, it's pretty cool.
The point isn't how do you make it - there are measurements and definitions for that.

Nobody has a frame of reference for what armour plating made of solid oxygen looks like, so you might end up with random people on the internet telling you your graphics look crap because it looks plasticky or even the artists working on the game querying why something looks weird , despite being physically accurate.

This lack of a day to day reference for something exotic is why you end up with loads of sci-fi materials being represented as having glowing from lines or being made of hexagons in a whole load of stuff.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for the obnoxious response my friend.
Grammarly , you should really try it, it's pretty cool.
The point isn't how do you make it - there are measurements and definitions for that.

Nobody has a frame of reference for what armour plating made of solid oxygen looks like, so you might end up with random people on the internet telling you your graphics look crap because it looks plasticky or even the artists working on the game querying why something looks weird , despite being physically accurate.

This lack of a day to day reference for something exotic is why you end up with loads of sci-fi materials being represented as having glowing from lines or being made of hexagons in a whole load of stuff.

If you took that as obnoxious, it really wasn't meant to be. Anyhow I typed the response up on my phone. Its a run-on sentence made at a time minutes away from having woken up (and man thats pretty roughly structured) on a keyboard whose Swipe is borderline broken. You mentioned Solid Oxygen, I actually googled to see what it would look like. Turns out it looks pretty cool. Hence why I mentioned you should check it out.

Tada
I1oFsNw.jpeg

And I wrote that from what I would assume a designer would do. You were talking about how would a designer even go about creating a material for something that doesn't exist and has no reference photos. I said that they would probably look at what does exist and try to mix and match and blend some stuff together to see if they can get something that kinda looks like what they are going for. Or I imagine they would just wing it.

Anyhow, glowing lines and stuff made of hexagons aren't the worst. While Glowing can be kinda iffy, Hexagons in particular are pretty useful and can be used numerous amounts of ways. They are an amazing shape that you can even find commonly in nature.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks so much better than before, though not necessarily next-gen standout.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
While Halo 4's art style might still be my favorite, this is a great mix of 4 and 1-3's style so far. It's looking great!

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know that the basic bitch modes will have sprint but I'm hoping the Ranked Hardcore/MLG playlist doesn't have sprint or whatever. If it does then I'm out since it basically proves that 343 has went 0/3 on Halo games and has 0 intention of attempting to improve.
You ain't going anywhere, let's be honest lol.

You don't really think sprint is the only reason for that, do you?