• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 20, 2017
Now that I'm feeling good about single player I need some multiplayer details. If those "battlefield" halo rumors turn out to be true I am going to be playing this game for a very long time.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I expect the multiplayer to be good though, it is 343 after all and they're currently 0/2.

I mean it'll probably have sprint and from the MP pic we had awhile back a character was sprinting. From your previous posts that sounds like a game breaker for you so I'm surprised you're still interested.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "approaching strongholds with different strategies" reminds me of all the mediocre open world games out there. But Halo has kind of always been about that philosophy, with an incredible sandbox to make it work. So hopefully the Sandbox team under Quinn is able to nail that aspect, because everything else kind of relies on it.

Maybe it's just me but this reminds me of the outposts in Far Cry. If it's something like that it could be great.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You don't think a next gen only halo would look better than these screens?

what - in your opinion - would make it look significantly better?
textures? Lighting? Visual effects?

Are any of these constrained by previous gen?

Reminds me of how after the June 2020 showcase, Everyone swore that Horizon looked truly next gen and awe inspiring...better even than Demon's Souls. Then we learnt months later that it was cross-gen.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
what - in your opinion - would make it look significantly better?
textures? Lighting? Visual effects?

Are any of these constrained by previous gen?

Reminds me of how after the June 2020 showcase, Everyone swore that Horizon looked truly next gen and awe inspiring...better even than Demon's Souls. Then we learnt months later that it was cross-gen.

Well....yes. Fidelity would take another leap being next gen only. That's usually what happens when more powerful hardware is exclusively taken advantage of.

I don't think Forza 7 could look anything like the snippet we got of forza 8 just by adding ray tracing. Why else would Turn 10 take all this time overhauling their engine for next gen if there weren't things im not aware of to take advantage of?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The screenshot with the sniper shows forerunner stuff which is much closer to Halo 4's style than the likes of Halo 3.

Also, a lot of Halo CE's forerunner stuff very much looked like slightly shiny concrete:
550w_gaming_halo_ce_2.jpg

Uh your image is broken. But I really disagree. It looks like metal. Concrete doesn't have a sheen. It's like, the most matte material that exists. I don't know how you could have shiny concrete.

But I really disagree. I think it's a fusion of the two. Halo 4's style was much more curved and detailed, whereas 3's was more simple. On the whole, what we're seeing in the sniper screenshot is much more on the simple side of things, on that spectrum. I feel like you're making 3's out to be more simple than it is?

I mean plus like, the artists intention was very much to emulate bungie's style. Like, that's their literal stated goal.

Oct 17, 2018
I mean it'll probably have sprint and from the MP pic we had awhile back a character was sprinting. From your previous posts that sounds like a game breaker for you so I'm surprised you're still interested.
I know that the basic bitch modes will have sprint but I'm hoping the Ranked Hardcore/MLG playlist doesn't have sprint or whatever. If it does then I'm out since it basically proves that 343 has went 0/3 on Halo games and has 0 intention of attempting to improve.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Uh your image is broken. But I really disagree. It looks like metal. Concrete doesn't have a sheen. It's like, the most matte material that exists. I don't know how you could have shiny concrete.

But I really disagree. I think it's a fusion of the two. Halo 4's style was much more curved and detailed, whereas 3's was more simple. On the whole, what we're seeing in the sniper screenshot is much more on the simple side of things, on that spectrum. I feel like you're making 3's out to be more simple than it is?

I mean plus like, the artists intention was very much to emulate bungie's style. Like, that's their literal stated goal.

I'm not going deep into the lore, but it's pretty common to seal concrete with a sealant - they have different finishes including gloss.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Have they said anything about spartan abilities? I loved them in halo 5 and i've playing halo online since halo 2.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Maybe that material is shiny in that universe? It's not based in reality. One thing is for certain though, that doesn't look like metal at all.

Nov 14, 2017

Never heard of polished concrete?

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that thrusters don't get left out
Thrust is actually the one I hated the most honestly. Felt too out of place and such an unnecessary movement option; almost a get out of jail free move. Just my opinion though; I understand some people liked it.

All in all, I just hope the maps are designed better around the movement options, primarily sprint assuming its in. The maps were way to small to incorporate that type of boost in movement. Personally I'd just prefer an uptick in overall movement speed instead of sprint, but I've accepted that it's probably here to stay at this point.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I
Thrust is actually the one I hated the most honestly. Felt too out of place and such an unnecessary movement option; almost a get out of jail free move. Just my opinion though; I understand some people liked it.

All in all, I just hope the maps are designed better around the movement options, primarily sprint assuming its in. The maps were way to small to incorporate that type of boost in movement. Personally I'd just prefer an uptick in overall movement speed instead of sprint, but I've accepted that it's probably here to stay at this point.
I understand where you're coming from but i actually liked thruster. It couldn't be abused and was easily punished, but if done right, it gave you an upper hand in tight spots. Very cool imo.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
I understand where you're coming from but i actually liked thruster. It couldn't be abused and was easily punished, but if done right, it gave you an upper hand in tight spots. Very cool imo.
I can see that for sure. Maybe it goes back to map design for me where there were so many tight quarters in 5 where it felt more abused and cheap. I could see it improved easily just based on different map design so we'll see!

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I can see that for sure. Maybe it goes back to map design for me where there were so many tight quarters in 5 where it felt more abused and cheap. I could see it improved easily just based on different map design so we'll see!
That we can agree on. Some maps didn't quite mesh with the moveset but i still feel they werw mostly solid.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that material is shiny in that universe? It's not based in reality. One thing is for certain though, that doesn't look like metal at all.

Well it sure as hell looks even less like concrete. It has a sheen to it. That's like, a defining characteristic of most metal.

Apparently from some light reddit looking around, I'm seeing something about how it's something that is "grown" so perhaps crystallin in structure. Huh.

Never heard of polished concrete?

It just doesn't look anything like that idk man. It has a more metallic reflection to me. Maybe it is crystallin apparently. I'm not up on the lore.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thrusters are great for creative movement, like using it off mancannons to change trajectory.

They're still in tho, but as a map pickup similar to the Grappleshot.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Looking a lot better. Hope they have lots of RT options on PC when that update (assuming it's still planned) arrives.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that thrusters don't get left out
they're so good. makes playing halo 5 feel great. I know some people hate them and I just can't fathom why

I know that the basic bitch modes will have sprint but I'm hoping the Ranked Hardcore/MLG playlist doesn't have sprint or whatever. If it does then I'm out since it basically proves that 343 has went 0/3 on Halo games and has 0 intention of attempting to improve.
this is the second worst take i've read on this forum all week. a close second.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Well it sure as hell looks even less like concrete. It has a sheen to it. That's like, a defining characteristic of most metal.

Apparently from some light reddit looking around, I'm seeing something about how it's something that is "grown" so perhaps crystallin in structure. Huh.

It just doesn't look anything like that idk man. It has a more metallic reflection to me. Maybe it is crystallin apparently. I'm not up on the lore.
Oh yeah, not saying it looks like that, just that it's definitely possible for concrete to be smooth and shiny! The materials in the older games can sometimes be a bit ambiguous, obviously there are texture and shader limitations that come into play. Makes it tricky for new devs because players have different expectations based on what they feel/remember from the older titles.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Most likely they won't show ranked hardcore at the MP show. And if they do have a playlist without sprint it'll be on Forge maps I'm guessing. Your probably better off accepting Halo has sprint now and move on to playing something else.

MCC is pretty active and they're bringing out new maps for Halo 3 soon.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
'Fly across a gap of stars' ey?

I don't anticipate space combat etc, but if there were bits you could fly up to in a banshee and land on, that'd be cool.

Apr 30, 2019
I bet thruster will be available as an on map pick up, or you can choose for people to spawn with it. I'm sure tweaking custom games settings you will be able to recreate Halo 5's movement, but I doubt that will be the standard in match making.

Last edited:

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Last one I played was Control Ultimate. Not an ugly game but far from flawless and the shimmering is, I find very distracting and immersion breaking.
Most if not all of the shimmering in Control is specular artifact from the ray tracing. The upscaling in Control is excellent.
Also, native 4K does absolutely nothing to combat shimmering / aliasing from alpha transparencies etc. You need good post-process AA for that.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they're finally confident showing open-world areas. Still wondering what the fuck happened with the original showing and old build.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's good that they are coming closer too the art direction that the slip engine reveal had.
I do wonder if they gonna remake the art if they will make a 2021 release.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

I just googled shiny concrete and looked at images that make concrete look a lot more shinier than these images. It's fine.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I just googled shiny concrete and looked at images that make concrete look a lot more shinier than these images. It's fine.

It's referred to as an Alloy in the books.
But ultimately it's a sci-fi material of something that doesn't exist in the real world.
From my conversations with those involved in the game this provides certain challenges because these types non existent materials don't have a real life counterpart for a visual reference.

In a game where you have both stylistic and naturalistic rendering, there is a challenge between making things look "right" , maintaining the style and actually continuing to show physically accurate , non existent materials.

This was not discussed with me - but I wonder how many of these sci-go materials existed in that original demo. Are there materials that are a sci-fi metalloid. Not many of us have any items in our life made from solid oxygen for example . How would that look?

Last edited: