• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the sniper screenshot is the base of the tower of pain.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
But they are really speaking to the campaign in such grandoise terms its hard to think they can pull it off. My worry is the open world nature will dilute some of it and after the first zone or two you basically run into the same missions and are just doing a watered down ubisoft open world checklist.
This is my biggest concern as well. Unless there are some Metroidvania aspects to block certain areas until after major set pieces take place, it'll be tough to juggle the openness with those majestic reveals we all expect from a CE/2/3 style game. Seeing a brand new biome for the first time instead of a, "hey I saw this already but now there's a Scarab here to take down" sort of thing.

Hopefully there are "proper" missions in there with only the checklist type of stuff (rescue these marines, liberate this camp, etc) on top for added content.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the problems was pop in which we can't see from a screenshot to be fair. We can see that tree billboards are pushed further out compared to the infamous promotional screenshot. Still I hope they can push those billboards out a bit further.

Honestly, for me the pop in was the worst part of that demo. I remember thinking, I can deal with so-so graphics, but how on earth is pop in happening with an SSD and beefy hardware? To me it was the clearest example of how half baked H:I was.

edit - I found my hot take:

This is the part I have the biggest issue with. Debating how the game looks is one thing, but the pop-in on the series X is absurd. It just shouldn't be happening. 343's new engine must be a mess.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
I do not understand how people see these (most likely cherry picked) screenshots on pc as a massive improvement over what was shown in the actual gameplay trailer. I also do not see a game that is showing a generational leap in graphics, which is what I originally was hoping for. Probably not what we can expect since it is targeting both systems, but still hoping to see a bigger difference.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I do not understand how people see these (most likely cherry picked) screenshots on pc as a massive improvement over what was shown in the actual gameplay trailer. I also do not see a game that is showing a generational leap in graphics, which is what I originally was hoping for. Probably not what we can expect since it is targeting both systems, but still hoping to see a bigger difference.

The game is coming to Xbox One, expecting a generational leap is a setup you did to yourself, lol.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
My favorite memories from the first Hal0 games were going out of bounds and exploring where we really werent supposed to go, so "open world" Halo with an emphasis on exploration is probably the most exciting thing they could have done with the franchise for me.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
The game is coming to Xbox One, expecting a generational leap is a setup you did to yourself, lol.

I don't see why it's not possible to have a true 'next gen' experience on XSX with a cut down version on XBone.... Generation leaps can work on PC, so why not console?... For instance, my experience with Cyberpunk (if I had it) on an old i5 with a GTX1060 would be very different from someone with a cutting edge 2021 PC. Surely the same settings gap can be implemented across the MS consoles, without neutering the new generation.

Anyway, regardless of cross gen graphics I think it's looking pretty, well... pretty. I think this may have cemented my decision to go for an XSX this gen, alone with a few other things of course.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole "approaching strongholds with different strategies" reminds me of all the mediocre open world games out there. But Halo has kind of always been about that philosophy, with an incredible sandbox to make it work. So hopefully the Sandbox team under Quinn is able to nail that aspect, because everything else kind of relies on it.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why it's not possible to have a true 'next gen' experience on XSX with a cut down version on XBone.... Generation leaps can work on PC, so why not console?... For instance, my experience with Cyberpunk (if I had it) on an old i5 with a GTX1060 would be very different from someone with a cutting edge 2021 PC. Surely the same settings gap can be implemented across the MS consoles, without neutering the new generation.

Anyway, regardless of cross gen graphics I think it's looking pretty, well... pretty. I think this may have cemented my decision to go for an XSX this gen, alone with a few other things of course.
No... no it wouldn't lol
It'd be the same game but prettier.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
As someone whose been jumping back in with MCC, I'm in. There is something just right about Halo's MP.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Zeta Halo invites exploration and discovery, the stories to be found

So are we thinking these are audio clip collectables you'll find from stations around the ring?

And what are the green lights in the middle of this screenshot

hi_campaign_warthog_4k-b68408218db34ea496717d440953ba37.png

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Then don't pin point a part of the screenshot, the game is much improved and everyone can see that. It's still in heavy development as well, it's unnecessary complaining about a WIP.

You're acting way too offended bud when someone is showing you the improvement might mostly be due to the vista being presented and the time of day it is shown with rather than being a real tech improvement.

If you like the graphic, then it's definitely fine, no one is telling you it's bad, you're interpreting that yourself, take some fresh air and read carefully a post before over reacting, but if you don't to see some tech improvement aren't totally visible, such as the LOD illustrated here, that's also fine, but you're being selective in what you're appreciating, and that's fair, but don't try to shut down open discussion.

You're free to have your opinion, better waiting seeing that on motion on a Xbox for example, rather than a carefully crafted screenshot on a (probably) high-end PC.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
That was the first thing I thought when I saw it.

I have to assume 343 were really down to the wire on getting that demo and associated materials ready for the show, and weren't really ready but felt like they had to, since they were still supposed to be the big launch game at that point.

All I can say is thank fuck they delayed it.
i agree, but it's not just the lack of polish on the assets. it's also a bad screenshot with bad frame composition.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
My most anticipated game. Im just curious if the game will have some kind of leveling up/skill abilities progress ... If Im not mistaken someone mentioned Metroid Prime. It would be amazing if the progression on the ring is gated by abilities and new tools that completely changes the traversal in the world.

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely one of my most hyped games for the year. I hope the multiplayer has maps like Valhalla this time, more open maps with vehicles and maps that aren't so industrial.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Looks so much better. My god, how could MS try to release this game at launch knowing it could look like what we see now.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I remember not being incredibly impressed with the game in motion in places. Things not feeling like they were not part of the world and issues with I think shields. The visuals were just really bad in comparison to the motion so it became like the number one issue.

One of the problems was pop in which we can't see from a screenshot to be fair. We can see that tree billboards are pushed further out compared to the infamous promotional screenshot. Still I hope they can push those billboards out a bit further.

Oh, true. Also, the way the warthog interacted with the environment (or actually the way it DIDN'T), and the animation of the dropship looked really bad. Still, I'm sure these things have been touched upon as well.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, true. Also, the way the warthog interacted with the environment (or actually the way it DIDN'T), and the animation of the dropship looked really bad. Still, I'm sure these things have been touched upon as well.
Yeah it drove through mud and picks up no mud on the tires. Plus you have enemies spurting blood when shot but no blood pools 😠

The phantom looked like its pathing was made in forge lol.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Wow. This delay and Staten joining are shaping up to be absolutely great moves. The screenshots are looking great and the comments from the devs get me really excited. I am still curious what the "format" of the campaign is going to be — they say it's not open world but they talk about it as if it is — but either way I'm really pumped after this update.

I think based on their comments about crafting they don't want people to think of it like a ubisoft game but with a halo skin.
This is my biggest concern as well. Unless there are some Metroidvania aspects to block certain areas until after major set pieces take place, it'll be tough to juggle the openness with those majestic reveals we all expect from a CE/2/3 style game. Seeing a brand new biome for the first time instead of a, "hey I saw this already but now there's a Scarab here to take down" sort of thing.

Hopefully there are "proper" missions in there with only the checklist type of stuff (rescue these marines, liberate this camp, etc) on top for added content.

Metroidvania elements would be an easy way to gate things. They mention 4 different equipment abilities, and from what I've gathered you can cary all 4 at once and swap between them.

So imagien the first area of the game is just basic halo....then you get the grapple hich opens up new areas, but more are locked off by some sentry system that can only be damaged while it it firing, so you need to find the shield wall. nd then maybe gate sysytems that open and close supe rquickly so you need some kind of speed booster to get through. And then you have air based areas that require you to jack a banshee to get through.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
The whole "approaching strongholds with different strategies" reminds me of all the mediocre open world games out there. But Halo has kind of always been about that philosophy, with an incredible sandbox to make it work. So hopefully the Sandbox team under Quinn is able to nail that aspect, because everything else kind of relies on it.
Yeah, I was like "So Far Cry 4 then?" LOL

Hope it's great!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like MGSV which had absolutely incredible gameplay.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's still a cross gen game. I guess there's a limit of "pretty" you can achieve in that situation.

Cross gen has nothing to do with anything. Why does this keep being brought up?
The Series X and the One S builds will be different, with different settings, textures, lighting etc.

The game is still in development, with around 8 months left to release. Ray tracing support is promised and is yet to be incorporated in the game.

There's a very significant difference. Not just from the initial reveal, but from the last gen Halo game released (Halo 5 on XOX).

Yeah, I was like "So Far Cry 4 then?" LOL

Hope it's great!

They're touting this as new to Halo, not new to gaming.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this set my little warnings off.
As it's not an open world game so they haven't got to fill it with endless repeated stuff, hopefully it will have plenty of unique design that makes each one fun.
More BOTW tower and less Just Cause Stronghold

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Cross gen has nothing to do with anything. Why does this keep being brought up?
The Series X and the One S builds will be different, with different settings, textures, lighting etc.

The game is still in development, with around 8 months left to release. Ray tracing support is promised and is yet to be incorporated in the game.

There's a very significant difference. Not just from the initial reveal, but from the last gen Halo game released (Halo 5 on XOX).

They're touting this as new to Halo, not new to gaming.

You don't think a next gen only halo would look better than these screens?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
dropping X1 would do nothing at this stage in development, I don't know why people can't get that through their head. you'd have to be stupid to believe that suddenly dropping X1 would make the game look drastically different

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm getting sick and fucking tired of people bringing up the "Its a cross-gen game so it'll be bad" argument.

Graphical Options exist for a reason. Gameplay scaling is a thing that exists. They do it in PC Game Development literally all the time. When you have PC Game Developers pushing out graphical masterpieces that can scale down graphics and gameplay performance to run on modern day potatoes built 10+ years ago. There is absolutely zero reason why Xbox Developers, who may I remind people are also developing their games for PC where they need to account for these settings to begin with, would not be able to do the exact same thing on a Console with multiple SKUs.

They already have the experience. They have to write the damn engine and game to support the required level of scaling for PC anyways. The Consoles run on similar archetectures as PC and Xbox in particular runs on the same damn DirectX APIs. It's a 100% non-issue and people need to stop bringing it up as a "Gotcha".

Last edited: