• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. This delay and Staten joining are shaping up to be absolutely great moves. The screenshots are looking great and the comments from the devs get me really excited. I am still curious what the "format" of the campaign is going to be — they say it's not open world but they talk about it as if it is — but either way I'm really pumped after this update.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
That's a huge improvement! Good on them for doing the right thing and delaying it, let's hope it gets even better!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Looks fantastic. I'm kinda confused about the comments that the lighting doesn't look amazing. It's a real time lighting system, it looks very good. I'm sure there are examples like TLOU 2 you can probably pull up that look better, but those are in a linear game with probably a lot of baked lightmaps

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Def looks better.

I'm finally playing MCC, on XSX. Starting from CE. I never played Halo before, trying to go thru them in order. Gears series will be next, also never played that before.

Cant wait to give this a shot.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this looks so much better. I'm excited for the visual improvements but the detail in the story itself is great. Really enjoying these deep updates.

Stand out part for me was the mention of flying a Banshee to a floating part of the broken ring to explore. Ugh, I can't wait.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I truly, truly hope for a great Halo game, the world needs one and even if the graphical showing wasn't what me and other wisher for I was/is still exited to play the actual game. All the best to 343.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Joseph Statham surely knows how to sell me a game, this sounds and looks amazing, can't fucking wait!!!!

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Man, this looks so much better. I'm excited for the visual improvements but the detail in the story itself is great. Really enjoying these deep updates.

Stand out part for me was the mention of flying a Banshee to a floating part of the broken ring to explore. Ugh, I can't wait.
Flying is my favorite way to explore the ring 😊

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, that sounds ace and the multiple ways to approach and go off the beaten path and stumble across cool stuff sounds cool which adds to finding different routes or what not which all you could ever do in the other games if they went that far.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

Damn, yeah. That sounds incredible.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
This was a great update.
I'll say this, though: while I understand and somewhat agree with the search for "visual simplicity", it sounds like they went a tad too far with it.

Apart from foliage, everything looks way too similar. Forerunner, Human and Banished structured have similar color tones and feel, judging by these screenshots and the july demo.

Looking at the Banished interior concept art, we're far from what something like High Charity looks like for example. Obviously Banished are different than the Covenant, but I'd guess not that different. I miss my purple, my "alien"-feeling.

Also, this large focus on the Pacific Northwest environment and the team's wording doesn't really make me think there'll be more, which would be disappointing for a big Halo game. I think they're hard at work on the first expansion which is where things would move to a new place.

I kinda expected this update to at least touch on different biomes.

I'm surprised people and the media didn't understand that aspect

I think it's easy to criticize people, but the reality is that the pillars in themselves were never the problem. From the first time we saw the game's cover, the idea that the ring was broken and being rebuilt was clear. But it's the way that it looks that doesn't sit right. It seems like they're improving the textures, but we don't know yet if they succeed in fully integrating them into the environment.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

I already loved flying these Wasps throughout Warzone Firefire in Halo 5, so getting to (hopefully) use them to explore in Infinite will be a treat.
VXQDS28.png

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This was a great update.
I'll say this, though: while I understand and somewhat agree with the search for "visual simplicity", it sounds like they went a tad too far with it.

Apart from foliage, everything looks way too similar. Forerunner, Human and Banished structured have similar color tones and feel, judging by these screenshots and the july demo.

Looking at the Banished interior concept art, we're far from what something like High Charity looks like for example. Obviously Banished are different than the Covenant, but I'd guess not that different. I miss my purple, my "alien"-feeling.

Also, this large focus on the Pacific Northwest environment and the team's wording doesn't really make me think there'll be more, which would be disappointing for a big Halo game. I think they're hard at work on the first expansion which is where things would move to a new place.

I kinda exoected this update to at least touch on different biomes.

They let slip in the interview at one point that they wanted to "start" you in the Pacific Northwest biome, as it basically evokes Halo CE. The clear takeaway from that, is that there are OTHER biomes on the ring too.

And don't forget that the very first teaser trailer for Infinite showed a desert, and a moonlit forest, among the more familiar looking places we see in these shots.

I suspect that stuff is just being held back to show later.

Also, the design of the Banished stuff is very in line with how they looked in Halo Wars 2. Their designs are meant to be more brutalist and tough looking, than the purple and curves of the Covenant. Whole most of their stuff is stolen Covenant tech, they've upgraded and retrofitted it to look different. Atriox HATES the Covenant at this point, so it makes sense.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Imagine if this game had a full dynamic weather system. Approaching and having to fight Brutes in a huge windy thunderstorm where the weather impacted driving, movement, etc or how about trying to clear a base out during a massive amount of fog or dust? How about trying to reach a base out in the middle of a giant lake via boats with turrets and such being manned. A storm hits, waves casting you around, Brutes attacking. Just watch a storm approach over the horizon would be beautiful to see or snow starting to collect.

Stuff like this would not only help sell the atmosphere of the alien environment but would shake up gameplay mechanics a lot. I wonder if there will be any weather at all? Imagine the pilot rushing you to get back to the pelican because a huge electrical storm approaches. So many exciting opportunities!

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that sounds ace and the multiple ways to approach and go off the beaten path and stumble across cool stuff sounds cool which adds to finding different routes or what not which all you could ever do in the other games if they went that far.
If the entire game was basically The Silent Cartographer, I'd be content lol.
Not entirely (I expect and want more variety from an environment standpoint), but that feels like the basis for most of the approach (they even noted it) which is perfect in my mind. It's the definitive "Halo" level for me.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
They let slip in the interview at one point that they wanted to "start" you in the Pacific Northwest biome, as it basically evokes Halo CE. The clear takeaway from that, is that there are OTHER biomes on the ring too.

And don't forget that the very first teaser trailer for Infinite showed a desert, and a moonlit forest, among the more familiar looking places we see in these shots.

I suspect that stuff is just being held back to show later.

I keep going back and forth on this since the july reveal, because what I actually understand from those words you quote is that the start of Chief's journey (aka launch) happens on this biome, and since this game will likely receive campaign expansions since it's a platform for the next few years, that's when we'll travel.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
It looks better but I won't say I'm impressed by how it looks, probably because I'm not fond on the art direction.
But I'm excited by the prospect of open world exploration with Halo gameplay, I just hope encounters aren't as basic as what was shown in the last trailer.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like improved vegetation, draw distance, and lighting are the primary standouts in this batch. Textures are improved but nominally compared to the three aforementioned.

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao. Yea they don't need to be mentioned ever again. Let's pretend they didn't exist!
These pictures actually look like a foreign alien world with some mystery. The columns made it look like a simulation training ground or some shit. A little here and there would be ideal. Just enough to show that the ring is being rebuilt. But too much and it looks shallow. God it looked so bad lol.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
First pic I saw was the main one on Facebook, thought it looked great, even better and seeming more like an evolution to CE than the more 343ey vibe I got off even the 2018 trailer. But the first pic here brings back that 343 style architecture I think and the Sniper looks pretty goofy. Anyway, about to dive in, glad we got a meaty one :D

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Massive jump in visual quality..as it should be.

May not be jaw dropping but it looks damn good and more importantly I really love the direction the art is going.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
It looks absolutely beautiful - I hope they pull it off, and its the best entry in the franchise yet!

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, missed that the first time through, that has me hype as hell.
Keep your secrets lol.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This looks so much better and the direction here is definitely something I like.

I just hope there are blood pools again!

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Looks significantly better. The Redemption Tour continues.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
I can't wait for the Audio Team update. I hope that they will reveal a new track because the 3 tracks from last August are a 10/10 for me and I need more.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Look's really good. My only complaints are that the upscaling and sharpening don't look very good and that the chromatic aberration in the HUD is ugly.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
While looking for the wildlife in the ToD shot (found them by the way) I also noticed some brutes and a jackle in the lower night shot I had missed at regular size.

I can't wait for this game and this update went a long ways to convincing me we're in good hands