• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Infinite - Curtis Schweitzer's Reverie

Meet Curtis Schweitzer, one of the new composers working on Halo Infinite, and read about his history with Halo and approach to making music for the latest installment. And, as a special bonus, listen to Curtis' track "Reverie" from the recent Campaign demo!

Jul 4, 2018
That's Halo

It's been 13 long years, but the sound is back.

EDIT: Looks like there's three composers here, Joel Corelitz who I can totally see doing the more unorthodox tracks like this

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got some exploration vibes with this. Imagine wondering around Zeta Halo with this playing in the background.

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds good so far, but it has to be really weird working in a project like this were he's going be judged on how close he can get Marty's work.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Once again the Halo soundtrack is sounding beautiful. In fact I don't think there has been a bad Halo soundtrack, it's the one area where they are consistently brilliant.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a mix between Halo 3 and Halo Wars 1 to me, which is pretty nice.

By the way, here is an other interview with Curtis Schweitzer:

He is a fan of Craig.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a mix between Halo 3 and Halo Wars 1 to me, which is pretty nice.

By the way, here is an other interview with Curtis Schweitzer:

He is a fan of Craig.

yup I thought the same, the deep chorus at 1:30 sounds like bits from Rescued or Not and Bad Here Day from HW1.
Really great work and sounding really like Halo!

Jan 4, 2018
So good.

Halo Infinite is going to be amazing.

Music is such a critical part of understanding the success of the Halo franchise, and a big reason that the games have such a deep emotional impact. Personally, I've probably spent the most time in Halo 3 (let's just say it came out during a formative part of my life) and have to go with "Never Forget" as one of my all-time favorite tracks.

I wonder if we will have a new version of 'Never Forget' in the game.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Biiig step up from 5's marvel movie soundtrack
Yeah, I was just recently listening through the Halo 4 and 5 soundtracks and while 4 has some cool stuff (that most of the time wasn't used as well as it should have been in the game itself) the H5 soundtrack was just so... boring. Almost nothing that stands out at all, and the few parts that do are mostly rehashes of older Halo themes.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First 343 OST thats feels connected to Halo, it's thematically familiar and new, feels like this could be the move forward we've been waiting for since Halo 3 (Reach was disappointing imo).

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
You know how back in the day, you'd just have the Halo menu idling in the background and you'd be hearing the music play (Never Forget, anybody)? This gave me that feeling for some reason. Lovely track.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
You know how back in the day, you'd just have the Halo menu idling in the background and you'd be hearing the music play (Never Forget, anybody)? This gave me that feeling for some reason. Lovely track.

You mean like this? https://halome.nu/

yup I thought the same, the deep chorus at 1:30 sounds like bits from Rescued or Not and Bad Here Day from HW1.
Really great work and sounding really like Halo!

I was making the connection to Rescued or Not (and Spirit of Fire), as well. Can definitely hear Bad Here Day in it, too.

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
This is the direction I think everyone hoped Halo's soundtrack would go in when 343 took over. Halo 4 and 5 has some decent tracks (Almost exclusively the ones composed by Kazuma Jinnouchi) but this overall is just much better and feels less militaristic, and more... open and foreign.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This one did feel a bit...unfinished compared to the previous one by Gareth Coker. But I liked it well enough.

I hope they keep releasing these up till launch. Good hype builder.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the direction I think everyone hoped Halo's soundtrack would go in when 343 took over. Halo 4 and 5 has some decent tracks (Almost exclusively the ones composed by Kazuma Jinnouchi) but this overall is just much better and feels less militaristic, and more... open and foreign.
Nah, Neil Davidge composed some killer music.

He also composed Requiem, Solace, To Galaxy, and Green and Blue.

The biggest problem with the soundtracks is that they have been poorly implemented into each game. In the Bungie series up to Reach Marty and Michael made sure that the music was implemented into certain combat encounters that would enhance the gameplay. Halo 4 and 5 didn't really do that effectively, especially Halo 4.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Niel Davidge composed some killer music.

I definitely worded that wrong. Halo 4 and 5 both had great soundtracks. But aside from some of Kazuma's stuff, neither of them felt like Halo to me. They felt a lot more generic, like they could fit in any sci-fi movie, shooter, etc. The marvel comparison was definitely made for a reason. It's unfair, but I can't disagree when people say a lot of the tracks in them could be swapped pretty easily.

I like To Galaxy in particular a lot. But it isn't even in my top 25 when I think of songs that sound like Halo.

The tracks that sound the most Halo to me from Halo 4 are 117 and the Midnight mix of Never Forget (which is obviously cheating, but yeah). I think Kazuma did a good job of exploring the idea of more sci-fi soundscapes with Halo 5 than him and Davidge did in Halo 4, personally. My least favorite songs from Halo 5 were mainly associated with Locke's content.

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

The biggest problem with the soundtracks is that they have been poorly implemented into each game. In the Bungie series up to Reach Marty and Michael made sure that the music was implemented into certain combat encounters that would enhance the gameplay. Halo 4 and 5 didn't really do that effectively, especially Halo 4.

No lies detected. Revival is in my top 5 Halo songs, the soundtrack is really underappreciated because it wasn't more Marty O'Donnell.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

I think also I read the 360 was struggling so hard to run the game, there literally was less power for the music. It had to be quieter or something? It sounds really weird writing it out like that, but I remember looking it up and reading that. Whatever the case was, 343 could not increase the volume. So part of why we don't remember the music is because it was so damn quiet. I even replayed it a few months ago and it was just so quiet.

Because there honestly are a few moments I'd argue do line up very well. Like I think the Requiem track where you're on the warthog?

I personally like the aesthetic Halo 4 and 5 go for, both music and art, but I think there is something more grounded that resonates with me more in the Bungie games, and similar with the music too. I kind of prefer this direction Infinite is going in.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot wait for this game. The music so far is hitting the spot in a way that Halo 4 and 5, as good as their soundtracks were, never did. Unlike most of the tracks in those games, this feels like classic Halo.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds good so far, but it has to be really weird working in a project like this were he's going be judged on how close he can get Marty's work.

It's kinda been the curse of Halo ever since 343 took over. It's an incredibly hard task to not only match up to some of the greatest games of all time, but to then have the expectation to make them greater and more modern, And on top of that to also match some of the best work by one of the most lauded game composers there is.

I think 343 has knocked it out of the park on the soundtrack side across their games, and Infinite has two of my favorite composers on it to where I'm thinking this might be their best work yet.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
This is vastly better than halo 4 and 5's soundtrack, I didn't like those at all for the most part.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Halo 4 and 5 had good music, but they had music that just didn't feel like Halo music to me. Halo 5 especially, where it started leaning more towards generic blockbuster orchestral stuff.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm liking this better than the other track (in fact, I think this one blends in the exploration element GREAT), but both have been good stuff.

Are there more composers than the two?

Gareth Coker

Composer
Verified
Jun 14, 2018
I'm liking this better than the other track (in fact, I think this one blends in the exploration element GREAT), but both have been good stuff.

Are there more composers than the two?

Joel Corelitz is the other composer in addition to Curtis and myself, I'm pretty sure they will showcase his work too. Whether it's exploration music / cutscene music / gameplay, etc... I'm looking forward to people experiencing all this in context!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Joel Corelitz is the other composer in addition to Curtis and myself, I'm pretty sure they will showcase his work too. Whether it's exploration music / cutscene music / gameplay, etc... I'm looking forward to people experiencing all this in context!

Loving what I've heard from you gents so far. Community was definitely excited when we learned you had joined the project, Gareth.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You guys have done an awesome job with really blending the spirit of the series without just doing more Marty stuff. Loving it, ya'll deserve to be proud af!