• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Not really digging the sound effects, 343 has this whole weak "plink plink" atmosphere to the human weapons that it seems they kept judging by a quick look at some YT footage posted ITT.

Will of course reserve final judgement for release.
I actually think that the entire audio compartment (menu music, background music, audio cues, ambient and weapons sound and even audio tracing with different reverbs based on environment) is simply flawless and it may deserve a separate and dedicated OT!

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not mind blowing but it's MP so who cares.

Thinking about it, I would have loved a simple corridor SP campaign like Halo 4 and really upped the visuals to the max. I'm sure that sounds boring to most, though.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This thread is re-opened and is for discussions and expectations of the visuals alone. For discussion revolving around gameplay systems, please use the below thread.

www.resetera.com

Halo Infinite MP - Tech Test 2 |OT| - Sep 24-27 and Oct 1-3 Microsoft

FAQ: If you signed up before september 13th your are automatically in. Not everyone will get a email with the invite. You might never get it. Or its coming later. Keep a eye on Halowaypoint.com you will find the invite there also closer to test. In the second week they sent new invites also to...

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This thread is re-opened and is for discussions and expectations of the visuals alone. For discussion revolving around gameplay systems, please use the below thread.

www.resetera.com

Halo Infinite MP - Tech Test 2 |OT| - Sep 24-27 and Oct 1-3 Microsoft

FAQ: If you signed up before september 13th your are automatically in. Not everyone will get a email with the invite. You might never get it. Or its coming later. Keep a eye on Halowaypoint.com you will find the invite there also closer to test. In the second week they sent new invites also to...

Im gonna bump this so people can actually talk about the topic at hand :) (it disappeared into old pages)

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
It does look rather fantastic at this point for a cross Gen multiplayer title that has to run on the original damn Xbone.

The thing I'd really like to see changed are the explosions/particle effects. The grenades looked spectacular in Halo 2 Anniversary (especially loved the frag grenade as it had a bit of cool fire in it that made it pop and feel dangerous). Would love to see those effects return.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The art and detail is on another level.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
On a purely technical level it's not an "oh shit" game for me (though I think that kinda went out the window when we heard it was a cross-gen FPS game designed to run at up to 120fps on console with splitscreen MP and an open-world campaign), but I think if that "oh shit" moment exists it'll be in the re-emergence of the campaign anyway. Multiplayer was always going to prioritize frames and readabillity above all else.

All of that said, I still think the game looks great. Textures are crispy, I love the vibrant pop to everything, and the art-style is *chef kiss*. And feel free to go back and look at what I was saying after E3 last year lol - I was vocally unhappy about the Halo demo and how rough it looked visually.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

-Series X is Dynamic 4K @ locked 60fps or Dynamic 1440p @ almost locked 120fps;
-Series S is Dynamic 1080p @ locked 60fps (120fps temporarily disabled);
-One X is Dynamic 4K/30 or Dynamic 1440p/60;
-OG One is Dynamic 1080p/30.

Big praise on textures work on all platforms, but with increased resolution on One X and Series X, as well as better shadows, ambient occlusion, anisotropic filter, geometry and draw distance.
Contact shades only on Series.
Great SSR reflections and cubemaps on all except OG One.

Loading times 6x faster on Series.
Framerate seems much better than first TP, especially on OG One.

Last edited:

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the Series S I'm happy with it.

Looks good enough while running at 60fps. So I got no qualms. Does it blow me away? Nah, but it looks and plays like Halo. While Forza Horizon will be the best looking exclusive this fall I'm not gonna hate on this.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Visuals should be the least of worries from any AAA game, let alone first party ones. I mean, I can't think of a single big game which doesn't have impressive gfx these days.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

-Series X is Dynamic 4K @ locked 60fps or Dynamic 1440p @ almost locked 120fps;
-Series S is Dynamic 1080p @ locked 60fps (120fps temporarily disabled);
-One X is Dynamic 4K/30 or Dynamic 1440p/60;
-OG One is Dynamic 1080p/30.

Big praise on textures work on all platforms, but with increased resolution on One X and Series X, as well as better shadows, ambient occlusion, anisotropic filter, geometry and draw distance.
Contact shades only on Series.
Great SSR reflections and cubemaps on all except OG One.

Loading times 6x faster on Series.
Framerate seems much better than first TP, especially on OG One.

The game seems to be a looker on all platforms and I'm really surprised how they managed to also improve framerate on OG Xbox One, which now runs at (almost) locked 30fps.

I would say they're making sure to avoid another CB2077 launch on old gen consoles.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Only thing left to see is the Brute that gave the long winded speech at the end of the trailer. Really hope they improved his textures lol.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Only thing left to see is the Brute that gave the long winded speech at the end of the trailer. Really hope they improved his textures lol.
Escharum?

Yeah, I really hope they will switch it from the plastic and blocky model of last year:

latest

to something more realistic, battle scarred and intimidating as his official artwork:

b9lqotqqnsc51.jpg

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
It's a nice looking game now for sure. It's definitely improved since the first flight too, textures retain detail much closer in for one thing. It is lacking a bit in terms of dynamic lighting though, need weapon and explosion flashes adding in.

I actually think that the entire audio compartment (menu music, background music, audio cues, ambient and weapons sound and even audio tracing with different reverbs based on environment) is simply flawless and it may deserve a separate and dedicated OT!

Agree 100%, it's fantastic. I'm playing with DTS:X for headphones and the sound is phenomenal. I've spent time in training mode just walking about and exploring the ambient sounds on the different maps and the detail, clarity and spacial accuracy is impressive. The weapons all sound good too, especially the meaty sound of something like the bulldog. The way it reverberates in different environments is really cool, from a dampened sound in a tight corridor to a long series of echoes outdoors. It's going to add up to something special for the campaign. It's just a shame they've reverted back to the old radar in multiplayer, takes away the focus somewhat from the quality 3d sound they've built in.

Nov 14, 2017
What about this art style is impressing people? If you took the gun and UI out of the frame I would have no idea which game this.
The balance between geometry density, mid frequency material/shape changes and high frequency texture detail in the surfaces makes the scenes feel full and detailed without being overy busy/greebly as Halo 4 and 5 often could (this applies to both the environments and the characters/props). And although being recognisable is far from the be all and end all of art, I feel the combination of the slightly cartoony sci-fi style, natural lighting and the aforementioned noisy/detailed surfaces make for an overall look that is distinct from the likes of the hyper-real military shooter (COD, BF etc) as well as the more fantastical/dramatic style of a close counterpart like Destiny.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The balance between geometry density, mid frequency material/shape changes and high frequency texture detail in the surfaces makes the scenes feel full and detailed without being overy busy/greebly as Halo 4 and 5 often could (this applies to both the environments and the characters/props). And although being recognisable is far from the be all and end all of art, I feel the combination of the slightly cartoony sci-fi style, natural lighting and the aforementioned noisy/detailed surfaces make for an overall look that is distinct from the likes of the hyper-real military shooter (COD, BF etc) as well as the more fantastical/dramatic style of a close counterpart like Destiny.
Yeah, Halo 3/Reach actually needed more complexity and realistic elements, but 343 went too far with Halo 4/5 with too much cluttered scenarios also drifting too much from legacy Halo art design pillars.

They basically fixed all of this in Infinite, striking a very diffucult balance between those classic design pillars and modernity.

Jul 28, 2020
User banned (3 weeks): Ableist Language. Account in junior phase.
Not really digging the sound effects, 343 has this whole weak "plink plink" atmosphere to the human weapons that it seems they kept judging by a quick look at some YT footage posted ITT.

Might be time to change the batteries on your hearing aids.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Opinions and all, but this comment makes me think your eardrums might be broken 🥴

I'm being facetious, but idk how you could hear the Bulldog and still think humans weapons aren't up to par.

And the shield recharge sound effect in Infinite, I still can't get enough of it. I love how it reverberates throughout my headphones to the point it feels like that shit is swelling in my chest with those low rumbles. That is how great I'm finding the audio in unison with everything else.

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
Doesn't look anything mind-blowing to me, a very last gen looking game. I think people are overreacting based on how bad it looked originally. Just my opinion.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Doesn't look anything mind-blowing to me, a very last gen looking game. I think people are overreacting based on how bad it looked originally. Just my opinion.
The game doesn't look mind-blowing, but I think it does look good (especially the textures) and massively improved compared to last year's showing.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how the game looks. It's so crisp and clean. No copious amount of post processing effects, sharp textures, clear colouring, and great to the point UI. It's just a consistent looking game all throughtout, and that matters a lot even if it doesn't look like the best of the best. Reminds a lot of Bungie era Halo while still looking like 343 Halo.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice refresher on Halo development history by G4tv

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Yeah no, the game looks pretty damn great now; 343 REALLY spent that extra year making everything look vastly superior to how Infinite looked last year. Seeing the improvements in photos is one thing, but seeing the game in person, how crisp, clean, and detailed everything is now, makes me hilariously excited for the campaign with the scope, scale, and dynamic effects that it'll have.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
That is an impressive performance mode for the One X. They really did a good job scaling with each console. Getting the game running as well as it does on the last-gen consoles must have been a lot of work.

With Halo being a multi-year plan, I really wonder if they will continue to support the older consoles the entire time.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Cannot wait to play about in theatre / photo mode with this game .
Just hope the dynamic lighting in campaign matches how great the MP maps are.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

for context, Halo 5 on Xbox One X was considered a very good looking last gen game.
This looks MUCH better than Halo 5.

People aren't overreacting based on last year's showing. They are actually playing the game, capturing screengrabs and posting impressive pictures.