• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
www.halowaypoint.com

Technical Preview Outcomes

<p>Welcome back, Halo Insiders! Now that the team has had a chance to process the feedback we received during last month’s Halo Infinite Multiplayer Technical Preview it’s time to unpack it all with the community. In this blog, we’re going to be taking a closer look at the overall key areas of...

While some appreciated the new approach, we found that most players missed the old properties in these social matches. We've updated the Combat Sensor to feel more like the "Motion Tracker" of old, which shows all movement besides crouch-walking, and should have that ready for folks to test in the next flight. Be sure to keep an eye on it and let us know how it plays!

Bad choice! I liked the radar!

Medal Icon Changes:

1920x1080_haloinfinite_medalsnew_fullres-2fcc6a42cc0646d5ad00c69a51a135f5.jpg

jem

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame about the radar.

One of the best changes of the flight and of course it gets rolled back.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
A last note here was that there was confusion around the zoom function on weapons without scopes. Many of you were curious if it changed a weapon's aiming traits or increased its effectiveness at range, similar to Halo 5's Smart Scope. That is not the case for unscoped weapons in Halo Infinite. Similar to many previous Halo titles, scoped weapons will have benefits due to their scopes but unscoped weapons will perform the same regardless of its zoom state. Players will see a decrease in FOV, but no there is no underlying change to these weapons when zoomed in.

ADS confirmed to only affect weapons with scopes, all other guns without scopes just have the FOV tightened with no range benefits.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Glad radar is rolling back. It completely invalidated the need to ever crouch or run.

Good to see them change the medal icons already.

Did people like the player outlines? I think they are terrible. Wish RvB was an option.

Last edited:

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the radar change, bummer. They're sticking to their guns on the BattlePass progression being tied to challenges which was expected. New medals look much better.

tootsi666

Dec 13, 2018
Of course 343i is gonna rollback the best surprise the beta had. I hope ranked playlists actually have population so I don't have to suffer with motion tracker

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed about the radar but ill live.

Xp boosters should be more of a number of challenges instead of time based

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The rollback on the radar sucks. I liked the one they had in the tech test.

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Of course 343i is gonna rollback the best surprise the beta had. I hope ranked playlists actually have population so I don't have to suffer with motion tracker

Many people resented it at the start, but seemed people enjoyed it more throughout playing over the 3 days.

Guess they only saw most of the initial feedback though.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
New medals look great. Radar seemed fine how it was, but I'll keep an open mind for the next flight. Still not sold on the challenges-only thing for the BP, but I do understand their explanation.

Say what you like about Infinite or 343 but I appreciate the clarity and transparency and they seem to be busting their asses off to try and make it as good an experience for as many people as they can.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Medals looks quite nice.

Boo on the radar rollback.

That's a meaty article.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
there are somehow more people in this thread that claim to like the radar than those that actually liked it

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The radar change certainly isn't going to help new players from progressing to ranked play.

Such a shame.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
It's a minor change but I'm happy to hear the Needler is getting a more "crystal-like" sound effect.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
im still kinda disappointed about the battle pass being challenge based but im ready to give it a chance, their reasoning makes sense but i still need to see the full implementation.

the radar changes was whatever to me, but i love the new medals.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ok with the change in Social. Glad they are keeping Sprint as is. Overall, some good updates. New medals are vastly improved as well.

Juzzomac

Oct 27, 2017
Radar change is disappointing, the bigger the disparity between competitive and social settings, the more likely someone is to just ignore ranked play entirely.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I also liked the radar in Infinite flight #1.

Funny how most people commenting think the same, but somehow it was loud enough they rolled back. Maybe people will realize only showing up while running/shooting is better after flight #2 :)

Rest of their plans sounds good to me. I also don't mind challenges only. New medals look good.

Seeing as some SEEMINGLY small tasks may or may not get in by the next flight makes me think it's coming soon ;)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Radar change is heartbreaking.. It's such a shame they won't have it for the actual pvp flight. Players were given 2 pvp hours to learn it after having motion tracker for 20 years, it's no wonder there was resistance to it.

The Combat Sensor was so much better for gameplay.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
People wanting even more information conveyed on radar. Lol fuck off and gain some situational awareness.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The radar change is the worst thing I've read. Fuck that.

The medal rarity system is still awful. Multi kill medals should not be tied to the same "rarity" system as more simpler actions.

A lot of stuff coming in "after launch" unfortunately.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Just tease us with a possible window for the next ✈️. 💀

Radar never had a chance of remaining the same, they want this game to be accessible, lol.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Who plays with radar?

I prefer the old radar because I think there is a skill aspect to stealth.
Classic radar effectively neuters the ability to utilise stealth - there is no skill to stealth with the classic radar.
Just tease us with a possible window for the next ✈️. 💀

Radar never had a chance of remaining the same, they want this game to be accessible, lol.
Tons of other games don't use a motion tracker. Doesn't CoD basically use a weapon fire only radar (besides UAVs etc.)?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Shame we can't turn off enemy outlines until post launch. Really dislike UI getting in the way of visuals. Hopefully we at least get the gold shield flares back.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad radar is rolling back. It completely invalidated the need to ever crouch or run.

Did people like the player outlines? I think they are terrible. Wish RvB was an option.
You're quieter when crouching, so there was still a reason. Other reasons too, like crouch strafing, etc.

Why do you like crouching around in a fast pace shooter? Genuine question. Never understood the desire to crouch around slowly when everyone is gaining power weapons and power ups.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Classic radar effectively neuters the ability to utilise stealth - there is no skill to stealth with the classic radar.

Tons of other games don't use a motion tracker. Doesn't CoD basically use a weapon fire only radar (besides UAVs etc.)?

UAV is almost always up in a CoD match, plus it's a twitch shooter…anyone can fall into some kills. Y'all kidding yourselves if you think that radar isn't straight up oppressive to a silver-gold tier player which is the majority of the base, lol.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Radar change is a miss for me. They should keep flight #1 radar for competitive/ranked at least, but I really enjoyed it

Accessibility is always a weird yet interesting argument. I feel if more people got time with the new radar it would be a quick adjustment. That and it made engagements in the flight have some spice to it

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they keep the flight radar (only visible while sprinting) for competitive

jem

Oct 25, 2017
UAV is almost always up in a CoD match, plus it's a twitch shooter…anyone can fall into some kills. Y'all kidding yourselves if you think that radar isn't straight up oppressive to a silver-gold tier player which is the majority of the base, lol.
Being unable to move around a map without your position being broadcast to the enemy team is going to be just as much a massive pain in the ass for silver players as it is for onyx players.

I'm convinced the only reason people are opposed to the radar changes is because they're so used to the old radar.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, motion tracker IS oppressive to lesser skilled players because the seasoned Halo players will know how to utilize it better.

A lesser skilled player with motion tracker is no where near as effective as a skilled player.

So many other games have radar like the Combat Sensor, hell.... even one of Halo's most popular modes doesn't have radar and there's no complaining there, and of course there was going to be resistance after 20 years with it.

The Combat Sensor is not a foreign concept, it's already a thing in most other games.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The radar new or old helps in different ways to casual players, the old one might help you locate players but it makes you the easiest prey to anyone worth a damn at the game, however the changed radar actually give casual players a chance while still being easy prey for good players since you aren't lighting up the radar with a hello, over here grenade and two BRs to the face.. The new radar allows more free flowing game play and less sudden stop starts as radar blobs run into each other and the grenade dance starts. I honestly think people want the old radar as a crutch to dominate casual/seasoned players, not because they don't like change. The new radar evens the playing field a bit and gives people a better chance against more people.

Last edited:

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I'm glad about the radar changes honestly, I'm fine with the flight 1 radar being in for competitive though. Most competitive matches in old Halo games would just disable radar completely, so I think it's a good middle ground for that.

Last edited:

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Just read through the blog and they use the keyword "social matches" when referring to the classic radar change. It's totally possible they keep the new radar design as is for other playlists.

Classic radar effectively neuters the ability to utilise stealth - there is no skill to stealth with the classic radar

Crouch makes you invisible, how is that not stealth? I'm literally sacrificing my speed and movement in order to be hidden from your radar.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

it'll never stop being weird to me that people feel that they desire extra incentive to crouch.

I also dont understand why you think the classic motion track incentivizes running… it penalizes it

Crouch makes you invisible, how is that not stealth? I'm literally sacrificing my speed and movement in order to be hidden from your radar.

The poster said motion tracker neuters stealth- which you are confirming. The only way to be stealthy is to crawl around while everyone else is zooming. With the combat tracker, you can make stealthy plays Without sacrificing speed and movement - which EMPOWERS stealthy players.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Just read through the blog and they use the keyword "social matches" when referring to the classic radar change. It's totally possible they keep the new radar design as is for other playlists.

Exactly - you're forced to sacrifice speed and movement to do anything stealthy with classic radar. Speed and movement being two factors which are literally vital to playing Halo.

Stealth is far more viable and far more skilful without radar.

The only "stealthy" play which classic radar promotes is camping.

Nov 14, 2017
People wanting even more information conveyed on radar. Lol fuck off and gain some situational awareness.
A good HUD is one that provides all the additional information a player has at a glance. A great HUD is one that provides all the information needed to play the game by itself. To this end the radar should have even more information, be larger and placed in the centre of the screen. The normal first person view can be rendered in the corner where the radar used to be. This will also help with performance so it's a win-win.