• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
HaloForzaGuy

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
I don't even think it's that. I think the demand for Infinite content will dry up pretty quickly unless the Multiplayer takes off on PC. I say that because a lot of the Halo players who left the Halo scene starting with Reach and for that matter the Xbox ecosystem went over to pc. Pretty much 75% of the EU competitive scene from the H2/H3 days are on PC now.

Also based on everything we have heard about its development, 343s history with Halo and the gameplay reveal inspire zero confidence that their is even the resemblance of aplan in place. Imo it's only chance of hitting it big is a successful BR mode.

PC and xbox is crossplay, this will help it. It all comes down to the engine and the initial map selection imo, needs to really nail it. Once a good foundation is in place it will only grow imo

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Halo has been GaaS for years.

I dunno, Era seems to like Uncharted 4, TLOU, Smash Bros Ultimate and many other GaaS games. Hmm.
giphy.gif

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
There's rumours that Forza Motorsport dropped the number '8' from its title indicating it might go gaas too
I hardly call those speculation rumors, unless a trustworthy source came out and said this. After all Turn 10 already explained why they dropped the number and their explanation didn't mention GaaS once.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The The Last of Us MP game should 100% be f2p GaaS in my opinion. If it's a paid product I'm afraid it will be nothing but the hardcore fanbase left after a few months.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edited to take that out. I take this to mean you agree with everything else?

Not really, no.

Halo's main campaign is being positioned as a GAAS, meaning we're unlikely to see a new Halo the entire gen other than Infinite.

It's going to be become like Destiny 2, where they add bits and pieces over time, which is a big departure to what Halo has traditionally been.

The other games you mentioned, TLOU and Uncharted 4 in particular have multiplayer modes that I guess qualify as GAAS, but it's fine because they ddin't detract from the main campaign nor was the single player in those games poised to be a 'platform' that get's added to like Halo Infinite is.

I suppose Smash Bros counts as a GAAS but it's a fighting game that generally only releases once per gen, I'd rather have multiple Halo's than just one that get's added to over time.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Not sure if I am sold on Games As A Service yet. I'm sure Microsoft will be better than an Activision or EA model, but boy does that phrase make me want to run in the other direction.

Edit: Is Halo Infinite confirmed to be on PC Game Pass? I know Halo 5 isn't yet.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I am sold on Games As A Service yet. I'm sure Microsoft will be better than an Activision or EA model, but boy does that phrase make me want to run in the other direction.

Edit: Is Halo Infinite confirmed to be on PC Game Pass? I know Halo 5 isn't yet.

Halo Infinite will be on PC Gamepass day one.

Spikemouth

Nov 30, 2018
Halo going GaaS won't change or help 343's poor mismanagement and sales of the franchise.

Coming from the US pro scene, 343/Microsoft need a big time push in esports on a well oiled machine. This means that if the game isn't on Halo 2/3 levels, the competitive scene will fail again and the game will die off. It's obvious that Microsoft needs/wants to hit the PC market with Infinite to hit a new audience. However, they need to make this perfect so content creators and esports can lift this franchise to a new level.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Halo is going gaas and I love it, it means for the next 7yrs minimum u will get your favourite maps remade

I am really looking forward to the release of the game for this, and for a long-term Forge support. Have already done several paper designs and blockouts of what I want to create in it, and I hope it ends up getting supported for several years so that many Forge creations get the spotlight they deserve, instead of rushing off to do another Halo game.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us Factions. The sequel to factions should be a service game.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020

It doesnt even matter. Multiplayer is f2p. But yes it will be on gamepass and on steam.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They should just phase out GaaS and replace it with a subscription service like WoW. FIFA (or whatever) subscription, 5.99/mo for base game, 9.99/mo for premium subscription content. Keep mtx and season passes. maybe the premium sub comes with a season pass, and premium skins, etc.

then I can unsub and resub at will when more content comes out. I wouldve liked this for Overwatch.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sports Games, racing games, MMO shooters with seasonal content, etc all make perfect sense for Games as a Service.

But I hope the industry learned from games like Avengers. They have amazing properties that people have an immense attachment and even nostagia for in some cases, and they shoot themselves with both barrels by placing economics and revenue streams in front of game design and storytelling. Avengers could have made a zillion dollars as a story driven action game with drop in co-op, and they could have sold expansions for the next several years to eager players, but instead they shit out a Superhero resource farming simulator nobody wanted.

Microsoft could irreparably damage the Halo brand if they do the same thing.

Yeah. That's my concern. If halo infinite doesn't come out of the gates swinging it'll be dead on arrival. The delay makes me think they understand this and are going to make sure it's polished to perfection. But at the same time It looked so naff in that reveal footage that I feel like it needs a LONG time in the oven still and I'm not sure MS will want that.

What I do know is that GaaS allows for a game to evolve and improve over the span of years!...yet people often judge them entirely in the first week and then never go back. Is it fair? Maybe not. But that's the reality of it. And that is a big bullet that halo needs to dodge.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Games as a Service get a bad rap because you get a lot of games chasing that model without a lot of thought put into the longevity part and focus more on the monetisation part. If studios can keep a decent flow of new content to last several years (like Destiny, Sea or Thieves or Fortnite) they could find success but if it's rushed to market to make money with little thought for what to do once the player finishes the main bite of content except making money off the player (like Avengers or Anthem) it'll fail.

This exactly. Just like I love good RPGs, action games, shooters, etc...., I love good GaaS. The bad ones don't reflect poorly on the model, but on themselves instead. Certainly games like Anthem and Avengers would be bad regardless of their release models.

This model works for annual titles for sure, or sequels which don't meaningfully change the core gameplay loop (EG a lot of fighting games, sports titles, FPS MP, etc...). Sometimes a dev changes enough to warrant a new release, but often, they could've just released the new content as a patch or expansion pass.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Just find it hard to believe sports game will ever go GaaS. Why would any company lose out on a huge chunk of income just like that? People are still buying their games AND spending money on MTX.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
GaaS is a business model more than it's a game design. The biggest games in the world are GaaS. If you want your game to be played for years in this day and age your game will be a GaaS.

It's a good decision for Halo MP, I'm in wait and see mode to see how the single player turns out.

Avengers didnt flop because it's a GaaS, it flopped because the content that is there is bad.

Just find it hard to believe sports game will ever go GaaS. Why would any company lose out on a huge chunk of income just like that? People are still buying their games AND spending money on MTX.
Unfortuneately its never going to happen.
NBA 2k20 generated a billion dollars in a year. Sports games just print money to an insane degree.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Any yearly franchise should really. Sports games especially.

Imagine an Assassins Creed game that was built as a service title... Or well, built even more as a service title. You follow the same character for a few years as they journey around the world to different regions or countries to blend in and help found new brotherhoods. Could actually be an interesting way to set a game in a very large country like India, or to do something across a region like South Central Asia. Don't even have to add new micro transactions.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Don't like it for the future of halo. So we will only get one halo campaign for the next decade? I get making MP FTP like warzone but you still need to actually work on a new game every few years imo. This is bad for developers too as the studio will surely cut hundreds of jobs because maintaining a ftp game is so much easier than actually developing new games.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I think most of the big ones have been mentioned. Yearly sports titles should definitely be GAAS. Forza and other racing series would be a good fit. Honestly Mario Kart and Smash Bros would be decent fits as well. Splatoon is already essentially there. Battlefield/Battlefront are both good candidates since it seems to take a year or two to get each game in a decent spot anyways.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's where Battlefield is going with the next entry. 5 was already a step closer to GAAS but sexism and mediocrity contributed to it not working.
I don't get the idea that sexism played a role in BF5's downfall.

Sure, some people complained about women in the game, but everyone I know in real life was mostly upset at the overall tone of the reveal. It looked like it could have been an early timeline Wolfenstein game.

If the game had women and looked like it was actually set in WW2 then it would have been fine. Some people would still complain but they'd just be a vocal minority. Case in point: Call of Duty World War 2 had women and it did fine.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I think most of the big ones have been mentioned. Yearly sports titles should definitely be GAAS. Forza and other racing series would be a good fit. Honestly Mario Kart and Smash Bros would be decent fits as well. Splatoon is already essentially there. Battlefield/Battlefront are both good candidates since it seems to take a year or two to get each game in a decent spot anyways.

I don't get the idea that sexism played a role in BF5's downfall.

Sure, some people complained about women in the game, but everyone I know in real life was mostly upset at the overall tone of the reveal. It looked like it could have been an early timeline Wolfenstein game.

If the game had women and looked like it was actually set in WW2 then it would have been fine. Some people would still complain but they'd just be a vocal minority. Case in point: Call of Duty World War 2 had women and it did fine.
I mean, I'm no expert, but I remember a lot of outcry over the game from the "HISTORICAL ACCURACY!!!" group about the woman fighting as well as using a prosthetic claw hand to hold her rifle and her being on the front cover and then some guy higher up at DICE said "If you don't like it, don't buy it" and then a ton of alt right places boycotting the game, on top of this game coming out during peak hate on EA time and also generally lacking in content which just kind of all contributed it to it failing.

And COD WW2 really isn't the best example because COD is the definitive casuals game and it would sell millions pretty much no matter what, and the game's marketing didn't really feature women outside of for the zombies mode, and the alt-right "historical accuracy" people were more butthurt over the lack of swastikas in multiplayer than any women being in the game from what I can remember

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GaaS are simply online models designed to keep players constantly playing and spending money via drip feed of content and Skinner Box drops.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
mean, I'm no expert, but I remember a lot of outcry over the game from the "HISTORICAL ACCURACY!!!" group about the woman fighting as well as using a prosthetic claw hand to hold her rifle and her being on the front cover and then some guy higher up at DICE said "If you don't like it, don't buy it" and then a ton of alt right places boycotting the game, on top of this game coming out during peak hate on EA time and also generally lacking in content which just kind of all contributed it to it failing
Yeah, there was a prosthetic limb, there were images of the microtransaction outfits and they looked nothing like WW2 era outfits. A stark contrast from the gritty, more grounded tone of the BF1 trailer. Someone from DICE said something about it's never been about authenticity despite the trailer coming after a half hour panel where they talked at points about making it authentic.

If the trailer they put out was like the BF1 trailer, but it had women in it, and the company didn't respond the way they did then the game would have fared much better at launch. I really don't think people complaining about their being women in the game is particularly high up on the list of reasons the game didn't resonate with its audience.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a bad idea for multiplayer games, or even games that could do game expansions for single player experiences rather than outright sequels, such as established franchises that slightly iterate per installment rather than making extreme changes.

Many major AAA games are now taking even greater developer muscle or longer development times, to the extent that perhaps only one or two installments will make it out for the system. Making a single title that stands as a expanding platform isn't a bad idea to get more content to people in faster pace than would otherwise be possible.

It's hard to say which franchises will go this route, however. But the rise of digital means that there is a greater variety to deliver new content to people that isn't just Game -> wait one to three years -> Game 2. Especially with multiplayer titles like Halo, it's a good idea to keep your player base as connected rather than getting seperated with multiple games from different titles. These days, a popular game only needs to die if it stops getting support.

I think Doom Eternal could be a sign of what one could do to bridge the gap between even single player games. Release the main title, and then chunks of campaign expansions that are not merely be a side story like a lot of DLCs, but continue the story further and act as a bridge for the next title. Doom Eternal's story is goofy and simple, of course, and I'm not entirely sure that's what they're doing, but I think it'd be a good way to keep your fanbase invested and playing your game until it's finally time for a sequel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HaloForzaGuy

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
Don't like it for the future of halo. So we will only get one halo campaign for the next decade? I get making MP FTP like warzone but you still need to actually work on a new game every few years imo. This is bad for developers too as the studio will surely cut hundreds of jobs because maintaining a ftp game is so much easier than actually developing new games.

Nothing stopping 343 making side campaigns via gaas

Gaas is perfect for halo, keeping the community in 1 place for multiplayer and forge. Will also let 343 concentrate on future maps and refining.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo is now like Destiny? I thought there was going to be a single player campaign

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Stupid question. But what does Halo Infinite being a GAAS mean for the sp part of the game?

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
None, GaaS is never good

Sure it is. It keeps the audience engaged, which is great for multiplayer games. And I wish Nintendo did more GaaS. Mario Kart for example. We've basically been playing with the same tracks, karts and characters since the last DLC from over 5 years ago.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Halo is going gaas and I love it, it means for the next 7yrs minimum u will get your favourite maps remade and hopefully gameplay features/physics continually improved. I generally don't spend on game packs etc but same halo for 7 yrs means my wallet is going to be raided.

There's rumours that Forza Motorsport dropped the number '8' from its title indicating it might go gaas too
Weren't people on era for years saying that franchises won't turn into this type of model once companies switch into Netflix Gaming? I wonder what those experts think now.

Sports Games, racing games, MMO shooters with seasonal content, etc all make perfect sense for Games as a Service.

But I hope the industry learned from games like Avengers. They have amazing properties that people have an immense attachment and even nostagia for in some cases, and they shoot themselves with both barrels by placing economics and revenue streams in front of game design and storytelling. Avengers could have made a zillion dollars as a story driven action game with drop in co-op, and they could have sold expansions for the next several years to eager players, but instead they shit out a Superhero resource farming simulator nobody wanted.

Microsoft could irreparably damage the Halo brand if they do the same thing.

I think sports games, racing games and fighting games can all be that type of model for sure. It's criminal for sports games to ask now $100 for a game they work on for only 1 year in particular.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I hate GaaS, but I like some of its elements that are incorporated into fighting games. Who doesn't want to unlock free shit?