• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cortana taking over newtana or coming back is almost certain. like cmon now lol.

Theyve tried to kill her off so many times.

I think campaign will be fun. It is a bummer it's not a next gen graphical powerhouse but please keep in mind 343 committed to 4k60FPS .... AND last gen compatibility, also at 60fps. There's only so much you can do with an open world game, especially one as sandboxy as Halo.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
No gameplay
Nothing running ingame (in engine showings are so tiring)

2 important red flags for me imho

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New Cortana is somehow going to be recompiled with old Cortana. It's the only way to get back to status quo.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The game still looks very much last gen but the lighting at least seem to have been upgraded.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
The world environment still looks static as hell. Weird showcase too, random pan through then a cutscene.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
No gameplay
Nothing running ingame (in engine showings are so tiring)

2 important red flags for me imho
I fully expect this to play and feel like last years demo with some technical improvements. It will still look cross-geny and not great for modern standards. But I'd say the gameplay of last years presentation wasn't bad at all. So it will probably be fine in the end.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm happy they gave Cortana a uniform. I really like her new design. Cautiously optimistic about the campaign, I guess my biggest concern is how fun exploration will be without feeling like a big empty sandbox, or stale like ubisoft open worlds.

edit: couldn't remember so took a look at Halo 5's Cortana design, I can't tell if that's a uniform or not, but at any rate I think this new design is an improvement.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I have very little interest in the SP at this point it seems like MS barely wants to show it

GreedyG

Dec 13, 2017
I liked the trailer, wish they showed more gameplay.

I have a nagging feeling that the spit 'n' polish has killed the art direction a bit for me though.
I liked the bright, light on texture pastel shades they showed last year but it looks like that's diminished a little with the improved lightning.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Kinda nuts they didn't show off more, and what they showed didn't really showcase how things have evolved from last years demo

That said, the Cortana story elements have me excited -- if they bring forward the emotional core and story threads between MC and her that Halo 4 really leaned into, I think the story will be in a great spot. Also, I can't imagine this is a whole refresh from Halo 5 -- I imagine those story elements are in play, but over the period of the game we discover how, etc.

That said, I wasn't a fan of Halo 5's direction or ending, so I do appreciate a redirect to a degree.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'm happy they gave Cortana a uniform. I really like her new design. Cautiously optimistic about the campaign, I guess my biggest concern is how fun exploration will be without feeling like a big empty sandbox, or stale like ubisoft open worlds.

edit: couldn't remember so took a look at Halo 5's Cortana design, I can't tell if that's a uniform or not, but at any rate I think this new design is an improvement.

That's not Cortana tho. So naturally the new AI would have a new design.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Red flags for me:
- MS didn't open or close with this
- No gameplay anywhere, after a huge delay and a release in a handful of months…
- Even though it's not in-game it still kind of looked last gen
- More story centered around Cortana. The fatigue is real.

I'll play it, don't get me wrong, but these are significant warning signs for me.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Red flags for me:
- MS didn't open or close with this
- No gameplay anywhere, after a huge delay and a release in a handful of months…
- Even though it's not in-game it still kind of looked last gen
- More story centered around Cortana. The fatigue is real.

I'll play it, don't get me wrong, but these are significant warning signs for me.

They know they blew their shot last time. It's dig in and build up period for them. They clearly focused on multiplayer this time, with a tease of campaign that oozed vanilla Halo feel. This was never the time to boast with Halo, rather play it safe as they continue working on it. Thank god they postponed the release date.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if Newtana and the good bits from Cortana aren't merged in at some point in the game to make a rebooted Cortana.

Halo without Cortana guiding you has always felt off, glad they have written in a replacement. Actually want to play this campaign.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think it is pretty clear they are kind afraid to show campaign again after last year´s backlash.

I don´t give a damn, the tone seems to be there (music is god-like) and I guess graphics will still improve a little so I am totally on board.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'm mixed about not showing campaign gameplay.

Part of me says "wow, that's a big red flag!"

Another part of me thinks they know they're in a no-win situation. The waters around Halo are fully-chummed, and people are ready to pounce on any split-second slow asset load, the hexagon cliff shapes, whether the world is sufficiently populated, etc. And if all that failed, there would be plenty of side-by-sides against TLOU2 ("a last-gen game!") and Horizon Forbidden West ("also a cross-gen title!") in comparisons that won't be favorable to Halo.

So I kinda lean towards them taking the stance that "they didn't show gameplay at E3" is a lot less meme-able on social media, so better to just take those licks temporarily and wait to let people judge once the game is ready to launch and in reviewers' hands.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
November 9?

336304_141.jpg

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
That looked waaaay better than last years showing (ya'll need to watch it 4k60).

The scope looks very impressive. Need some gameplay now.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
clear they worried about showing the open part again this feel more like a teaser then what we got last year

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Can't blame them for being cautious after last year's backlash.

But then, we got tons of shooters at the conference and every single one of them looked a good deal better than anything we've seen about Halo.

Stalker 2, Battlefield, Atomic Heart and I'd say even Far Cry 6 would have made Infinite look a bit dated.
Is it 60fps on One S? That would explain a lot.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Was kind of hoping for some gameplay, but I guess we have Neo-Cortana as our AI buddy this time around.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
I think it's close to being done, but they are deciding whether to release it in September to avoid the Shooter competition or to release on the 20th anniversary date of Halo 1 in November which is also in the middle of all the other shooters coming out.
Well either way it sounds like shooter competition, but yeah I hope it is due to your thought and not development issues

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Red flags for me as well

Middle of the show, didn't put together any campaign gameplay to show people that they've made serious progress, and despite a year delay no release date! How the hell do you come after a year's delay without a release date!?!

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
No idea why Xbox and Halo havent still uploaded a official vid of this. So weird. I mean now we mostly need to work with crappy version.
And SP needs to be show in the best light.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
They are really living off the brand name imo. I can imagine them planning things out like "people will go crazy seeing MC and a new Cortana!".
Just isn't enough these days for Halo to be a killer-app. Compared to BF2042, Stalker 2, and a few others this just was so forgettable.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No real MP or SP gameplay, I do wonder about this game. I don't SP will be releasing this year.

MP looked fun but I need to real gameplay, not in-engine captures.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Looks great. I'm in for the ride. the "new Cortana" seems like a bait.

"In-engine" just means it's running off a PC prob lol.

The flyby of the open world looked GREAT to me and the cutscene quality and direction are also stunning. I'm hype.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Red flags for me as well

Middle of the show, didn't put together any campaign gameplay to show people that they've made serious progress, and despite a year delay no release date! How the hell do you come after a year's delay without a release date!?!

yeah, the campaign info roll out is sketchy.

at least mp looks great to me.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Love this Newtana.

Brings me back to the Halo CE/2/3ish days where it was Chief and Cortana doing their thang as a team with no rampancy stuff going on.

Chipper, upbeat, snarky Cor/Newtana is best 'tana.

Story beats between Chief going through the UNSC dead and treating them with respect, one bullet vs army, and him and Newtana gave me the old school feels...hype elevating!

NGL, not sure how I feel about Newtana. Kinda hitting me in the feels....
How does it feel coining a term that will be used probably here on out lol, excellent work!