• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the campaign.

How tf did Atriox survive an explosion strong enough to blow off a chunk of the ring?! Shit, no wonder Chief lost.

Also had no idea Offensive Bias was still around.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jusy i am not sure if offensive bias was activated automatically or manually. If manually then the forerunners are also coming in numbers i believe
Reading up a bit, it sounds like Offensive Bias was manually activated to assist Despondant Pyre

The game has a line of dialogue later to the effect of "this wasn't a trap he just wanted to fight", but that's contradicted by what actually happened. He sent hundreds of soldiers to kill Master Chief in an elaborate arena, then locked him in a room with his elite super blademaster spartan killer, who also had orders to kill him.

If you're going to argue that Escharum concretely knew that Master Chief was this invincible dude who could not possibly be killed by hundreds of guys or his elite supersoldier, and thus it was actually his intention to get 100+ soldiers and his top ranking officer killed as a mechanism to fulfil his dream of dueling him, then that's not actually making this any less stupid, not in any sense. If he wanted a 1 on 1 fight, he could have just not ordered all those people to kill Master Chief.
Tbh Chief had ample warning that those were arena fights. Escharum even gives him time to get equipped before the arena starts. The idea was that if Chief wasn't strong enough to make it through those arenas then he wasn't worthy to fight him. He doesn't really spring anything on Chief, ya know? More like Chief walks into the room and Escharum goes "Welcome! Fight my dudes but ready up first!" Escharum really did just want to fight.

Can't wait for that sick Atriox rematch. I already knew the dude was a beast from him 3v1-ing 3 spartans in Halo Wars 2 but damn

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Reading up a bit, it sounds like Offensive Bias was manually activated to assist Despondant Pyre

Tbh Chief had ample warning that those were arena fights. Escharum even gives him time to get equipped before the arena starts. The idea was that if Chief wasn't strong enough to make it through those arenas then he wasn't worthy to fight him. He doesn't really spring anything on Chief, ya know? More like Chief walks into the room and Escharum goes "Welcome! Fight my dudes but ready up first!" Escharum really did just want to fight.

Can't wait for that sick Atriox rematch. I already knew the dude was a beast from him 3v1-ing 3 spartans in Halo Wars 2 but damn
Then I believe Offensive Bias can only be manually activated by high ranking forerrunner, and with the tweet above there is a possibilty for Bornstellar o others to return.

This is very interesting.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Then I believe Offensive Bias can only be manually activated by high ranking forerrunner, and with the tweet above there is a possibilty for Bornstellar o others to return.

This is very interesting.
I rewatched the Legendary ending. Despondant Pyre was talking to Grand Edict who said that Criterion ordered Offensive Bias' deployment.

Also implied that the reason the Endless are locked up is because they're Halo-resistant. So if the Flood got ahold of them the universe would be screwed.

The cutscene is the same across all modes but only the Legendary ending has dialogue

Also, was Atriox the one who Harbinger was sending info to during the final boss fight?

Last edited:

FauxBrian

Prophet of Truth
Aug 20, 2021
This explanation makes sense. Get your Scorpion Gun before it's patched out. I hope they don't patch it though even if it's a bug. It can be stupid fun to mess around with.

Yeah it's a lot of fun and honestly the LASO run doesn't strike me as something that is supposed to be a well balanced challenge anyway - I don't think being able to wield a giant tank cannon is out of left field when you can hide around a corner and throw a hundred grenades to solve the problem.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I rewatched the Legendary ending. Despondant Pyre was talking to Grand Edict who said that Criterion ordered Offensive Bias' deployment.

Also implied that the reason the Endless are locked up is because they're Halo-resistant. So if the Flood got ahold of them the universe would be screwed.

The cutscene is the same across all modes but only the Legendary ending has dialogue

Also, was Atriox the one who Harbinger was sending info to during the final boss fight?
Is it believable that the Flood never came across the Endless?

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
OK so what is the Banished's/Atriox's motivation to release the Endless from their confinement?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, considering he's then shown releasing The Endless with the key she sent him.

OK so what is the Banished's/Atriox's motivation to release the Endless from their confinement?

Seems like a good idea to get on the good side of a race of beings who can't be destroyed by the Halos.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Just beat the game. The story was alright, but towards the 3rd act I was kinda lost on the Harbinger's intentions & her deal with Cortana. Felt kinda rushed. But, I didn't play 5 so thats probably on me.

Enjoyed Chief and the Weapon, though.

Oct 27, 2017

If they hold to the lore, Precusors in their original form were not defeated with merely fire power. Even halos i dont believe were capable of it which game is also implying. So something else should have happened.

Also I am curious abou Atriox too. Where did he go after infinity was destroyed that banished thought he was dead ?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
this series had the scarab gun, please spare us the sanctimony
The Scarab gun was a pain in the ass to get though.

Is it believable that the Flood never came across the Endless?
No, but I think it's possible the Flood can't affect the Endless.

On another note, Mega Construx out here giving away all the characters that are/were planned for the campaign/DLC.

5 characters with "as they appear in Halo Infinite" when they haven't actually appeared in the game.

www.megaconstrux.com

Halo - Sets | Mega Construx

Mega Construx Halo

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This certainly looks like whatever that cut scene from the trailer was meant to be.

I wonder if this is an Endless? It's not a million miles away from the logo on the Cylax.
A theory I've seen floating around is that the Endless are ultimately what the Forerunners wanted to achieve, a civilization that was able to successfully digitize their "essence" without destroying themselves in the process. Could that concept art be a mechanical manifestation of an Endless? Maybe? I wonder if the Halo Encyclopedia releasing in March will have more information.

Though it could also be Offensive Bias, this image below is of Mendicant Bias, another Contender class ancilla.

Waypoint-Mendicant-Bias-Rampant.jpg

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really hope the Offensive Bias theories hold true and in the next campaign DLC we get to finally meet them.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

Weapon said that the connection was really old. So maybe another Endless or a Precursor.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this aspect, it's just so neat and tidy with universe logic.

Maybe they can do something about the Brute homeworld with their time manipulation.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, Cortana's echoes in Silent Auditorium got me in the feelies. Her various messages to Chief with that mysterious and melancholic bgm inside such a grand forerunner structure was such a fantastic combination. I couldnt help but feel really sad as I progressed, especially as Chief got closer to the spot where Cortana died.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The Scarab gun was a pain in the ass to get though.

No, but I think it's possible the Flood can't affect the Endless.

On another note, Mega Construx out here giving away all the characters that are/were planned for the campaign/DLC.

5 characters with "as they appear in Halo Infinite" when they haven't actually appeared in the game.

www.megaconstrux.com

Halo - Sets | Mega Construx

Mega Construx Halo

it wouldn't be halo if toys didn't leak everything

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Hey.. is there any possibility that Atriox was the one who deployed the weapon? Probably not.. But.. maybe? I mean, he did throw Chief away, so no reason to think he got the chip first. But if weapon were deployed by Lasky or other Spartans, is there any reason why she wouldn't know who the Banished are?

Yeah, considering he's then shown releasing The Endless with the key she sent him.

Seems like a good idea to get on the good side of a race of beings who can't be destroyed by the Halos.
I really liked this aspect, it's just so neat and tidy with universe logic.

Maybe they can do something about the Brute homeworld with their time manipulation.
Yea.. if we're dealing with SOME form of time manipulation, then Atriox may be banking on that. Bringing back Doisac would be insane.. Either way, Atriox has always seemed to be so many steps ahead of anyone else in the Banished. It wouldn't surprise me that he's playing for time and space stakes vs Escharum "I just want a good death" (I quite like his character, to be fair).

Just beat the game. The story was alright, but towards the 3rd act I was kinda lost on the Harbinger's intentions & her deal with Cortana. Felt kinda rushed. But, I didn't play 5 so thats probably on me.

Enjoyed Chief and the Weapon, though.
What deal with Cortana?

Gunny T Highway

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hidden dialog? o.O Keith Szarabajka's voice. (Bornstellar?)

I wonder why they are tried to hide that dialogue? I love it and leads more credence to the forerunners being assholes because they were scared of what the Endless are. They are worried about either:
1)The Endless not being effected by the Halo rings thus the flood could still run amok or
2) That the Endless will ascend the mantle and they will rule the universe instead of ones that the Forerunners choose.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I know the ending heavily implied that the Weapon is going to name herself Cortana, but I really hope it's a red herring and in the next story DLC, she's picked another name like Joyeuse. I kind of want to give the original Cortana the closure she deserves. Even other prototype Halsey brain scan AIs had different names despite sharing an appearance with Cortana (Kalmiya for example).

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Did I miss how the banished beat Cortana and all the Guardian mega mechs?

They didn't - the UNSC did. The Weapon contained Cortana on Zeta Halo, and all the Guardians shutdown.
Atriox came along, kicked the UNSC's ass, and wanted to retrieve/use Cortana when she blew herself up.

I'm over simplifying it, but basically...

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
They didn't - the UNSC did. The Weapon contained Cortana on Zeta Halo, and all the Guardians shutdown.
Atriox came along, kicked the UNSC's ass, and wanted to retrieve/use Cortana when she blew herself up.

I'm over simplifying it, but basically...
wow thanks, I didn't even see anything on youtube that explained that.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I know the ending heavily implied that the Weapon is going to name herself Cortana, but I really hope it's a red herring and in the next story DLC, she's picked another name like Joyeuse. I kind of want to give the original Cortana the closure she deserves. Even other prototype Halsey brain scan AIs had different names despite sharing an appearance with Cortana (Kalmiya for example).
Ahah saw the auto correct "joyeuse".
Wish she had another name though, it would have made sense earlier in the game but after knowing all what happened... Felt forced and weird. I love Newtana personality though.

Edit : Though I saw in the OT that there is a logic behind Joyeuse. Joy would be a very good name for the weapon.

Last edited:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but he was also the voice of Didact. I don't think we hear Tovarus.

I always equate the Didact and Bornstellar, and in my mind, they sound exactly the same. I just assumed MS would use the same voice actor for both.
Tovarus was one of the Spartan Killer Brutes, right? He didn't live long enough for me to hear anything he said.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I know I was firmly in the Joyeuse/Joy camp earlier this week.

But, she's going to name herself Craig, isn't she? It's the only way.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
Just beat the game on normal. It was....kinda bland?

The entire game is either in the open world with trees/hexagons, or you're in a shiny covenant cave base. Shooting the same enemies for 10 hours.....

Halo 1 started in a space ship, then open plains, then a dark covenant base, then an island, then snowy areas, then the forest, then The Flood show up to keep enemies fresh, man..... What happened with Infinite?

I was really looking forward to what kind of places I would go, and what enemies I would fight. Turns out, you get no variety for the whole game. Anyone else feel the same?

Green

Oct 27, 2017

The entire game is either in the open world with trees/hexagons, or you're in a shiny covenant cave base. Shooting the same enemies for 10 hours.....

Halo 1 started in a space ship, then open plains, then a dark covenant base, then an island, then snowy areas, then the forest, then The Flood show up to keep enemies fresh, man..... What happened with Infinite?

I was really looking forward to what kind of places I would go, and what enemies I would fight. Turns out, you get no variety for the whole game. Anyone else feel the same?

In exchange, we got the best looking pacific northwest "classic" Halo environment. A real interesting up close take on the Banished post-covenant designs. And the best Forerunner realizations yet.

Would have been nice to see them stretch their art on old-purple Covenant designs, some desert biome like in MP Behemoth map, snow, swamp, etc. biomes, yeah. But what's there I think is a good mix. I especially enjoyed the UNSC encampments within the Banished facility toward the end. And those Forerunner spaces absolutely enraptured me. Found myself taking those places very slow - I know a lot of people will call that stuff same-ey, but I didn't find that at all. Room after room I was just super please with all the ways they stretched and pushed the Forerunner aesthetic from 3/Reach that we haven't seen since 4 and 5's TRON stuff.

I personally loved that.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Just wanted to say that finishing the game, and seeing the Legendary ending made me relieved that the jerk that posted about "Time Travel" in the OT was horribly mistaken and wrong. I saw that post a little before I was half way through, and it made me so upset, thinking I'd been spoiled.

Oct 25, 2017
So how do people think they will mechanically expand the campaign when the endless expansion comes out? Will they just add additional "islands" — will they instead add a warp system that can warp people between biomes and just add new biomes to play in? Very curious how the functionality will work

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
In exchange, we got the best looking pacific northwest "classic" Halo environment. A real interesting up close take on the Banished post-covenant designs. And the best Forerunner realizations yet.

Would have been nice to see them stretch their art on old-purple Covenant designs, some desert biome like in MP Behemoth map, snow, swamp, etc. biomes, yeah. But what's there I think is a good mix. I especially enjoyed the UNSC encampments within the Banished facility toward the end. And those Forerunner spaces absolutely enraptured me. Found myself taking those places very slow - I know a lot of people will call that stuff same-ey, but I didn't find that at all. Room after room I was just super please with all the ways they stretched and pushed the Forerunner aesthetic from 3/Reach that we haven't seen since 4 and 5's TRON stuff.

I personally loved that.

What's there is good, yes. But as someone who is very casual about the story (I know, this is the lore/story thread), nothing was different enough to make it interesting the whole 10 hours. I found myself grapple hooking past the last 20% of the game because I realized you have nothing to gain from killing aliens. I'd only kill them if a door was locked and threats needed to be killed.

That's how tiresome I got of the same-yness of this game. Again, what's there is good, but it just needed a lot more variety.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, I understand why the Forerunners were scared shitless of the Endless. They were on their way out: once they were gone, the Endless had the potential to become a dominant force in the galaxy. Not only that, but they would be a dominant force resistant to the Halo effect... For other species, the Halo's could function as a deterrent, a threat of mutually assured destruction. The Endless don't have that issue: if any other species were to step out if line, they would be able to wipe the galaxy out again and reclaim what was left for themselves.

I think that's what Harbinger means about the Forerunners' lies: they named humans their Reclaimers, but the Endless can claim it for their own quite easily now that they're out.

So how do people think they will mechanically expand the campaign when the endless expansion comes out? Will they just add additional "islands" — will they instead add a warp system that can warp people between biomes and just add new biomes to play in? Very curious how the functionality will work
I'm guessing they'll add different campaigns, so you can select what you want to play.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
Yeah, I understand why the Forerunners were scared shitless of the Endless. They were on their way out: once they were gone, the Endless had the potential to become a dominant force in the galaxy. Not only that, but they would be a dominant force resistant to the Halo effect... For other species, the Halo's could function as a deterrent, a threat of mutually assured destruction. The Endless don't have that issue: if any other species were to step out if line, they would be able to wipe the galaxy out again and reclaim what was left for themselves.

I think that's what Harbinger means about the Forerunners' lies: they named humans their Reclaimers, but the Endless can claim it for their own quite easily now that they're out.

I'm guessing they'll add different campaigns, so you can select what you want to play.

I'm not sure that is what is meant by the Forerunners lies. My interpretation of that is that is seems the Forerunners came to the planet of the Endless to talk and "Help". At least as the endless understood it. But they showed up with a Halo ring and ended up capturing the Endless. Forerunners "came in peace" as a ruse to have the Endless let their guard down and trap them.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure that is what is meant by the Forerunners lies. My interpretation of that is that is seems the Forerunners came to the planet of the Endless to talk and "Help". At least as the endless understood it. But they showed up with a Halo ring and ended up capturing the Endless. Forerunners "came in peace" as a ruse to have the Endless let their guard down and trap them.
Harbinger brings up that Chief is a Reclaimer and the Endless will "ascend" which has been used by the Didact in Halo 4 to refer to humanity's claim to the Mantle of Responsibility.

"Your ascension may yet be prevented" or something like that.

The lie has to mean the real "Reclaimers".

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

I was fine with the variety since there's almost certainly going to be expansions with different enemies and biomes.