• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
It's 3 am and my head is just so scrambled just finishing that game.

I know 343 said they don't consider Infinite an open-world game per se, but they just give up on that shit for the last three hours.

It's 2021, please put a warning that I was about to go to a point of no return or make it clear as day.

That last section turned what was gonna be a solid 9 into a 7, maybe 8. This might change after getting some sleep, but those levels on Heroic were seriously frustrating to get through. That laser beam weapon is your friend and if I never see its reloading animation ever again, it'll be too soon.

The final boss felt like a lazier, cheaper, version of the one before and that was already hard enough. I just felt like there wasn't enough creativity happening as it did in the open world. Simply wasn't as engaging as the stuff I was doing in Zeta Halo. Felt like it needed more setpieces rather than varied battle rooms of the same-looking arena over and over again.

Felt like Destiny 1 but with better cutscenes, ironically enough.

This was getting into GOTY territory the more I just fucked around the open-world, but the last third torpedoed any chance of cracking at least top 5 for me.
Exact same thoughts here, was loving the game and could see it as my Goty if the back half was as good as the first. I thought about completely dropping the campaign as I was getting close but wanted to at least see the overly convoluted story through. Fighting sentinels for 3 corridor levels is not fun at all. I also can't believe they recycled the monitor boss, and those hammer brute fights were painful with how far they could jump. The more open level felt like it wasn't balanced correctly on Heroic and was nowhere close to the quality of what I'd expect in previous Halos.

It cemented for me that 343 can't deliver the fully realized campaign I want from Halo. It's just incredibly disappointing. I'm surprised at the amount of people saying this is the best Halo campaign after playing that awful second half.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
It's 2021, please put a warning that I was about to go to a point of no return or make it clear as day.

Yeah, I was surprised as hell when the act of going to rescue the pilot turns into a 3-4 mission gauntlet that locks you out of the open world (and the opportunity to unlock any of the better weapons) until after the campaign is over.

I mean, I get that without the pilot you don't have anyone to airdrop you vehicles at the FOB or in an in-universe explanation for fast travel (assuming it's always the pilot coming in to extract The Chief when you fast travel), but aside from not giving a shit about such an annoying, one-note character on a story level, I also refuse to believe that The Weapon (or one of the hundred UNSC soldiers you've met/freed on Zeta Halo) couldn't have filled in for the pilot while he was gone.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was surprised as hell when the act of going to rescue the pilot turns into a 3-4 mission gauntlet that locks you out of the open world (and the opportunity to unlock any of the better weapons) until after the campaign is over.

I mean, I get that without the pilot you don't have anyone to airdrop you vehicles at the FOB or in an in-universe explanation for fast travel (assuming it's always the pilot coming in to extract The Chief when you fast travel), but aside from not giving a shit about such an annoying, one-note character on a story level, I also refuse to believe that The Weapon (or one of the hundred UNSC soldiers you've met/freed on Zeta Halo) couldn't have filled in for the pilot while he was gone.

I just felt like they wrote themselves into a corner when the pilot got kidnapped. I would've loved it if each mission post-Nexus just gave you an opportunity to upgrade your spartan core and do more open-world stuff, but no you gotta rescue the pilot because we can't leave him tortured!

But then you rescue him and think ok we gotta prepare for the Harbinger and shit but NOPE we're gonna drop you into the worst level in the game.

Sigh, idk man I just woke up and I'm still mad lol

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so WHEN the fuck did Atriox open the vault?

He doesn't have any of his war paint on and idk he just looks too clean, like he found the fountain of youth or something.

I am very confused on when that happened or was happening.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Late to the ocnversation here and trying to catch up, but this TOTALLY reminds me of Keyes trying to hold onto himself as he becomes a flood form in CE... And the connection to the gravemind further drives this

There's way too much pointing to some kind of Precursor connection. Honestly feels
Yep I am really not a fan of the one-shot cutscene direction in this game. There are times where it works well, but it ends up constraining the scope and scale of the scenes more often than not. It's a novel approach but I personally don't think it fits with Halo. Then again this story is much more personal and small scale, so they get by with it in this game. I hope they don't feel beholden to stick with it in future games/expansions.

True, didn't God of War do a similar thing? It didn't feel like the scope was constrained there. I don't like it in Infinite, especially not with how all the cutscenes seem to be the exact same: Chief nears terminal, Weapon hops onto it, close-ups of Chief mulling about and the Weapon doing hand wavey stuff.

Honestly, how much better would this game have been if we had played through all of the moments that we only experienced through holograms and audiologs in the actual game? I can't fathom how people are people are praising Infinite's story when it's 90% tell and don't show, very much in contrast to earlier Halos.

I watched the 343 vs. Bungie crowbcat video again today and it's hilarious how many things Bungie described they would eschew are in Halo Infinite.

Been progressing a bit further in my legendary playthrough and man I miss writing and moments like this:

Truth in Halo 2 was so damn good.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
True, didn't God of War do a similar thing? It didn't feel like the scope was constrained there. I don't like it in Infinite, especially not with how all the cutscenes seem to be the exact same: Chief nears terminal, Weapon hops onto it, close-ups of Chief mulling about and the Weapon doing hand wavey stuff.

Truth in Halo 2 was so damn good.
God of War had a LOT of cutscenes of different variety and scope and scale. They used the one shot format really effectively and as a way of having some really great action set pieces with a good amount of interactivity.

Infinite in comparison feels like they didn't shoot that many scenes to be able to have the same feel. As if they were limited on performance capture time and shot everything over the course of a few days. There's only two scenes that felt close to delivering on the potential of one-shot that GoW had: when Chief jumps into the Pelican mid-flight, and when he gets sent flying by the Harbinger. Two scenes that unfortunately were shown in trailers beforehand.

One-shot makes sense if you're having some interactivity to your cutscenes, but since all of the player actions are first person there really isn't an opportunity here. I think their handling of it's was decent and some of the scenes are really slick, but nothing in here convinced me that it benefitted the game more than having a traditional camera style.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Or something else...
Someone shared some screenshots of what I assume is the recently released "Art of Halo Infinite" book (Just ordered mine so cannot confirm) of some concept art on r/HaloLeaks... one of the images shared gives us a potential look at what this might be.

Also it looks like some OG concept art for the Harbinger is very inspired by the S'pht in Marathon... cool little nod, would have liked to see it in-game :D

bow1ypZ.png

(Marathon - S'pht Compiler)

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Someone shared some screenshots of what I assume is the recently released "Art of Halo Infinite" book (Just ordered mine so cannot confirm) of some concept art on r/HaloLeaks... one of the images shared gives us a potential look at what this might be.

Also it looks like some OG concept art for the Harbinger is very inspired by the S'pht in Marathon... cool little nod, would have liked to see it in-game :D

bow1ypZ.png

(Marathon - S'pht Compiler)
This?
Concept Art

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
By the way, it struck me in HiddenXperia's video that Gravemind actually says almost the same thing as Harbinger:

"Now I will talk, and you will listen"
"I shall talk, and you shall listen."

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
It wasn't a trap though. Escharum just wants to fight him, and Chief knows he's going to have to kill Escharum. Escharum just pushes the inevitable timetable up, and by kidnapping the pilot (who he knows has been helping Chief), he gets to pick the time and place.

I was having trouble with that fight until I stopped focusing on him and got rid of all the others that 1-hit sniped me. Then I killed the Chieftan, took his hammer, and hit Harbinger on the head with it and killed her.
The frustrating fight for me was the Blademaster because I killed him 3 times and right as he died, one of those canisters would explode and kill me. THREE times. I got so mad, my husband closed the basement door so he couldn't hear me. I just needed better situational awareness. LOL
I killed the blade master in like a minute on Normal when I faced him yesterday. I thought I was going to die a few times to him. I did die like crazy on the last two bosses though.

Nov 8, 2017
It wasn't a trap though. Escharum just wants to fight him, and Chief knows he's going to have to kill Escharum. Escharum just pushes the inevitable timetable up, and by kidnapping the pilot (who he knows has been helping Chief), he gets to pick the time and place.

The game has a line of dialogue later to the effect of "this wasn't a trap he just wanted to fight", but that's contradicted by what actually happened. He sent hundreds of soldiers to kill Master Chief in an elaborate arena, then locked him in a room with his elite super blademaster spartan killer, who also had orders to kill him.

If you're going to argue that Escharum concretely knew that Master Chief was this invincible dude who could not possibly be killed by hundreds of guys or his elite supersoldier, and thus it was actually his intention to get 100+ soldiers and his top ranking officer killed as a mechanism to fulfil his dream of dueling him, then that's not actually making this any less stupid, not in any sense. If he wanted a 1 on 1 fight, he could have just not ordered all those people to kill Master Chief.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The Endless were most probably living Precursors (not degenerated by the Flood like the Primordial) which were immune to the Halo array firing against the flood around 100.000 years earlier.

They got found by the few Forerunners and Monitors which survived after the firing, which, after pissing themselves in the pants for their immunity to the deadliest weapon they've ever made, decided to unleash Offensive Bias to emprison them into Zeta Halo in order to avoid a future where the Endless will inherit the Mantle with that power and immunity instead of Forerunners and designated Humans.

Oh, they emprisoned them also to make them forget in time, trying to avoid the news spread of the genocide Forerunners already did against them (their creators) eons earlier, which then caused The Flood in the first place.

tipoo

Jul 16, 2020
First of all, that was the best Halo has been in many years, nearly a decade. It brings in a new energy and excitement to Halo that I really appreciate as someone who always had a soft spot for it, after Guardians was leaving me on the edge of continuing to care. I am quite excited that Halo feels fresh and new again, and I'm far more interested in where it goes now than I was after Guardians. So I just wanted to get that out of the way first.

It does, however, repeat some of 343's biggest storytelling flaws. Here we have the third game in what was first slated to be a contained trilogy but that idea itself was canned, where the main baddy of the last game is swiftly abandoned and a new one comes up for what's next. All throughout the promotional material, I was left wondering, is something more going on with Cortana? Is she still alive somewhere and biding her time? After dispatching the Didact off-screen in a comic after Halo 4, surely they wouldn't do that again...But they did, and while there was a little more going on with Cortana, it did feel like a rug sweep again to get the old story bits they didn't want to deal with done with again largely off-screen apart from some convenient exposition through floating memories.

And about that next thing. Here's the big thing with me. To call something a bigger threat than the Flood is a BIG ASS CLAIM to make. And so far, we saw nothing that shows that. They seem to have some time manipulation abilities. But to call them a bigger threat than a galaxy spanning super parasite that caused the Forerunners, itself a galaxy spanning mega high tech long lived race, to mass suicide? And we just never heard of them before, not in the ancient times books, not in any media? This part here is starting to feel like another villain of the week going on and they just needed something new for us to shoot at going forward into the next 10 years.

And how is that thing going say something like the Forerunners lies are at an end, and NOT be the Precursors, the actual ancient alien threat that there's existing lore to draw from? And then if they do Precursors eventually, something else being the reckoning of the Forerunners would feel like a repeat. But here's my Unless...

Speculation/theory time: What if the reason the Forerunners found the Endless a worse threat than the Flood was that their time manipulation could bring back the Precursors? That they could turn dust back into the Primordial? That's one of the only ways I could see them actually living up to being a greater threat than a galactic parasite that effectively did win, apart from the galaxy mass suiciding (or rather the Forerunners forcing that on the galaxy) itself into them going away. Or otherwise, are another form some Precursors took to make themselves immune to Halo, rather than the ones that became Flood powder.

Now THAT story direction I'd be incredibly interested to see. My worry though is that 343 will not draw from the existing lore and this is just another villain of the week type thing, another new ancient alien threat we never heard of rather than drawing from the ancient alien threat we did hear of. But if everything is coming up Precursor, that's a highly interesting direction. Without it, it seems more like that line is almost unjustifiable and the Forerunners are even bigger dicks than we've known them to be if they just imprisoned a race with greater potential than them because it didn't go along with their plan.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I killed the blade master in like a minute on Normal when I faced him yesterday. I thought I was going to die a few times to him. I did die like crazy on the last two bosses though.

I killed him pretty fast and then blew myself up 3x before the autosave. LOL

The game has a line of dialogue later to the effect of "this wasn't a trap he just wanted to fight", but that's contradicted by what actually happened. He sent hundreds of soldiers to kill Master Chief in an elaborate arena, then locked him in a room with his elite super blademaster spartan killer, who also had orders to kill him.

If you're going to argue that Escharum concretely knew that Master Chief was this invincible dude who could not possibly be killed by hundreds of guys or his elite supersoldier, and thus it was actually his intention to get 100+ soldiers and his top ranking officer killed as a mechanism to fulfil his dream of dueling him, then that's not actually making this any less stupid, not in any sense. If he wanted a 1 on 1 fight, he could have just not ordered all those people to kill Master Chief.

I'm pretty sure the inevitable confontation between soldiers was what they were going for, but it would have been way more effective if you'd just walked right up to the front door and waltzed in. I never felt like it was a trap though.

On another note, the Scorpion Gun can't be a deliberate thing, can it? It's a bug right??? It fucks with the already wonky physics of vehicles to an absurd degree. Do you think they are slippery and weightless normally? Wait until you drive them while "holding" the scorpion gun. LOL
It also shoots from Chief's feet.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Ahhhhh, okay. That makes more sense.
The Engineers are one thing, but I wanted to add a different perspective to some of the replies you got talking about how the Covenant weren't scientists etc, just fanatics who found a bunch of stuff. The full story is somewhat in between. You're right that the Covenant had scientists and engineers who developed and improved on technology, but they definitely weren't improving on Forerunner technology; their stuff didn't come close. They were improving on Covenant technology, which was inspired by/bootlegged off Forerunner tech. For example, High Charity, their massive space station capital, was powered by a Forerunner ship. They basically parked it in the middle, hooked a bunch of cables up to the battery and left it idling. Simply having examples to draw from and a lot of energy are big advantages for jumpstarting technological development. For another example, Covenant weapons fire big globs of plasma, Forerunner weapons controlled beams/bursts of hard light. So the Covenant was able to roughly imitate the containment tech, but couldn't generate hard light, so instead took the raw power generation/battery tech from other Forerunner remnants and made them shoot plasma instead.

The other thing is that the Covenant was a semi-racially hierarchical theocracy riddled with palace intrigue, competing fiefdoms etc... it was sort of a spacefaring medieval Europe, crusades and all. Scientific progress and political insanity aren't mutually exclusive, as our own perilous situation shows. I'm not sure if it's been fully explored as to when and how this happened, but when it comes to the firing of the Halos, there were multiple motives: for the majority of the Covenant, they were searching for them to activate them and follow the Forerunners into the divine. For (some of?) the Prophets, it was to wipe the galaxy while they hid out at the Ark/undisclosed Shield worlds and came back to rule. The Prophets were exiles from their home planet whose alliance with the Elites was the outcome of a stalemate war between them over the use of Forerunner artifacts, so they had a bit of a chip on their shoulder.

On one of your earlier posts: all the species of the Covenant (other than the Engineers) independently evolved and were conscripted/roped in over the years (Jackals were often more independent/mercenaries, Grunts and Hunters were brought in by force). They reproduced on their home planets/colonies/High Charity. I believe there is actually a book in which a bunch of alien and human kids go to school together at a research outpost post-war, but it's not really the sort of thing that would be brought up in an FPS campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
On another note, the Scorpion Gun can't be a deliberate thing, can it? It's a bug right??? It fucks with the already wonky physics of vehicles to an absurd degree. Do you think they are slippery and weightless normally? Wait until you drive them while "holding" the scorpion gun. LOL
It also shoots from Chief's feet.
I think it's impossible that it's existence is a bug. You have to flip a switch to grab it. It's possible that they didn't mean for it to have infinite ammo even without the Bandana skull on, or that it should do damage to you, which it doesn't now, but they definitely meant for it to be accessible.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. How do you mean? I just don't see how it's that important for understanding THIS STORY. I mean, let's discuss it by all means (as we have). But I don't agree that they needed to tell us that info, especially not in a prelude intro text.

I understand it on a high level but it just sucks when the details arent fleshed out. Having things just happen without understanding how things went from A to B isn't satisfying. It didnt have to be a prelude text but good stories don't rely on dozens of different coincidences and they help the audience get a clear picture of what happened (especially when it seems the character you play already knows). Things are just so ambiguous and players are left to piece things together themselves doing the developers work for them, which is bullshit. It's bad enough that an entire plot line was shelved off screen, at least have some respect for the player and explain the timeline of events properly.

I just felt like they wrote themselves into a corner when the pilot got kidnapped. I would've loved it if each mission post-Nexus just gave you an opportunity to upgrade your spartan core and do more open-world stuff, but no you gotta rescue the pilot because we can't leave him tortured!

But then you rescue him and think ok we gotta prepare for the Harbinger and shit but NOPE we're gonna drop you into the worst level in the game.

Sigh, idk man I just woke up and I'm still mad lol

The worst part is that I didnt give a fuck about the pilot then. His little backstory reveal did nothing for me. So the fact that I had to go through a 5 hour grinder for this whiny ass dude made me even more furious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trey

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The Engineers are one thing, but I wanted to add a different perspective to some of the replies you got talking about how the Covenant weren't scientists etc, just fanatics who found a bunch of stuff. The full story is somewhat in between. You're right that the Covenant had scientists and engineers who developed and improved on technology, but they definitely weren't improving on Forerunner technology; their stuff didn't come close. They were improving on Covenant technology, which was inspired by/bootlegged off Forerunner tech. For example, High Charity, their massive space station capital, was powered by a Forerunner ship. They basically parked it in the middle, hooked a bunch of cables up to the battery and left it idling. Simply having examples to draw from and a lot of energy are big advantages for jumpstarting technological development. For another example, Covenant weapons fire big globs of plasma, Forerunner weapons controlled beams/bursts of hard light. So the Covenant was able to roughly imitate the containment tech, but couldn't generate hard light, so instead took the raw power generation/battery tech from other Forerunner remnants and made them shoot plasma instead.

The other thing is that the Covenant was a semi-racially hierarchical theocracy riddled with palace intrigue, competing fiefdoms etc... it was sort of a spacefaring medieval Europe, crusades and all. Scientific progress and political insanity aren't mutually exclusive, as our own perilous situation shows. I'm not sure if it's been fully explored as to when and how this happened, but when it comes to the firing of the Halos, there were multiple motives: for the majority of the Covenant, they were searching for them to activate them and follow the Forerunners into the divine. For (some of?) the Prophets, it was to wipe the galaxy while they hid out at the Ark/undisclosed Shield worlds and came back to rule. The Prophets were exiles from their home planet whose alliance with the Elites was the outcome of a stalemate war between them over the use of Forerunner artifacts, so they had a bit of a chip on their shoulder.

On one of your earlier posts: all the species of the Covenant (other than the Engineers) independently evolved and were conscripted/roped in over the years (Jackals were often more independent/mercenaries, Grunts and Hunters were brought in by force). They reproduced on their home planets/colonies/High Charity. I believe there is actually a book in which a bunch of alien and human kids go to school together at a research outpost post-war, but it's not really the sort of thing that would be brought up in an FPS campaign.

good post.

Nov 14, 2017
Some misc thoughts after finishing the campaign without 100% of the audio-logs.

General:
- Some have noted the pacing felt uneven, with the latter part of the campaign having a stretch of continuous missions which lock the player out of open world exploration. I think this works against the narrative too; the theme of hope being expressed through the development of a resistance (the Locke MegaBloks set suggests this was cut back or is being saved for future expansions), the sense of uncovering mysteries regarding Cortana/Harbinger and even the character relationships between The Weapon + Chief or The Pilot + his guilt all felt like they needed a moment or two more to breathe and grow before that final stretch, which as is feels a bit compressed and dense. Having the Banished withhold The Pilot's location after kidnapping him to buy the Harbinger some time, requiring Chief + The Weapon to capture a few Banished positions/take out targets etc... to track him down and prepare for the assault/The Road mission, for example. The Weapon could grouch about how Chief is working to rescue The Pilot but was going to delete her etc... Have the sub-monitor make his apologies sooner and use the teleport grid to get around the fast travel if need be.

Cortana:
- I don't think having her go genocidal against the Brutes was necessary, either for making her "irredeemable" or for Atriox's/Banished motivations. The Banished =/= Brutes, and wanting to make Zeta Halo their fortress home works for a multi-species mercenary(?) army without the loss of the leadership's homeworld. There was the motif of Cortana and Atriox throwing the consequences of the others' actions in their faces, but I feel that would still work with a threat. Additionally, it sort of clashed with Escharum's proclamations that banishing their emotional attachments was what made them superior soldiers to even the stoic Spartans.

- There have been a few comments about the emotional content of some of the echoes, especially in the later levels. It's worth noting that a lot of these are literary allusions or quotes that I don't think should necessarily be taken (fully) literally. "I owe all the happiness of my life to you," is a line from Virginia Woolf's suicide note, for example. So definitely in the realm of melodrama, but talking in quotes and allusions (drawn from both the real world and in-fiction figures) is a pattern for the character. The echoes are things she's remembering, either from conversations she's had or from things she's been exposed to. Cortana has decided to sacrifice herself and is using her thoughts in that moment to leave messages to the person she trusts and loves (romantically or not) the most. It's an interesting frame, even if as mentioned above it does lean on the melodramatic.

Lore:
- In order of definitely not being gone: humanity in general, the UNSC, Spartans. There's still billions of humans on multiple worlds. The UNSC HQ may have been taken out and leadership/"the resistance" (basically the Infinity) scattered/smashed, but there's a lot left. We know from the MP that a bunch of Spartans are training on a secret world even after the destruction of Laconia station, and Bad Blood implies that Jun was evacuating the station (Leonidas actually gets neutralised IIRC in that book, but I guess we are to assume that he regains control). Agryna says "Jun himself would be impressed" in weapon drills which implies he isn't dead, but who knows.

- The Infinity got taken out a little too easily. Having the Banished opportunistically strike during a showdown with a Guardian might have made it a bit more believable and done a little more scene-setting, but I understand the desire to have a quick + simple start.

- Agree with some posts in this thread that the Endless/Xananyn (if these are one and the same) could be a "threat" to the Forerunners in that being immune to the effects of the Halo, they scuttle their plans for a "fresh start" for the galaxy (and for humans to take the mantle), and potentially have a superweapon that they could use to dominate the galaxy left for them to claim. Every indication is that they were readily contained and imprisoned by the remnants of Forerunner civilisation ("they believe we are here to help"), with what the Harbinger claims was no justification.

- On that note, I don't see any reason to believe that the Harbinger/Xananyn/Endless are Precursors, especially when we know what the Halos did to Precursor artifacts and the Flood.

-RE: time, we know that portal travel can sometimes take a long time. If there is Offensive Bias/some other 3rd party involvement, perhaps Chief and The Weapon spent three days in the portal so something else could happen without interference (perhaps something Atriox was up to?). Not going to rule out Harbinger/Endless timey-wimeyness just yet, but the lines before "time is not a construct we can control" are important too: "preserve our truth," "time will forget they ever existed,". The implications to me are about history and galactic hegemony, not time travel.

EDIT:
Cheers!

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting topic. I write my take on it.

First of all I explore some lore explanation to back up what I am going to say.

Precusors came from outside of Milkyway Galaxy. Some of them decided to remain some continued their journey. Those that remained accelerated the life in the galaxy, and they could in some extend manipulate time. All life flourished under them including forerunners, humans and other species. But when Forerunners learned they are not destined to take over mantle and humans were chosen declared war on them. They won. However, it is not clear how. As it has been mentioned. Some precusors left the galaxy. Some became so sad and corrupted by their grief, that they turned into molecules and reshaped as flood. The last one Primordial or Timeless One was imprisoned on Erde Tyrenne which is now Earth.

Forerunners created the mendicant bias to safe guard it. However, it became corrupted by primordial and after bornstellar visited him, turned into gravemind along with other flood. War went on until the siege of the Ark. At this point Halos were completed by Fabre or master-builder. A fleet of 1 million ships under the command of Mendicant Bias attacked. Forerunners then created the most advanced and powerful ancilla to battle it. Offensive Bias. It hold the flood fleet with much weaker force until halos were fired and offensive bias was turned off waiting to be activated at a threaning time if it ever happens.

Now some things. First of all precusors technology were type 0. Their structures were indestructable. So how forerunners deafeted them ? Nobody knows. Even Bornstellar in Halo Cryptom said we could not defeated them. How we won, nobody knows.

Here in the data files, it was also mentioned, they could not win, so forerunner commited something way worse. There was also a picture of earth in the silent auditorium. Were primordial was first imprisoned.

Then we have precusors. they came from ouside and not all of them turned into flood. Also the ones that left before the purge are still alive. So they can return in their full form. Not corrupted flood.

There are yet Forerunners shield worlds on the edge of galaxy and beyond it that remained hidden. They can also return.

So when in the game it is written "Offensive Bias deployed", something way bigger than just flood is coming. A very good way to make epic games in future.

Jusy i am not sure if offensive bias was activated automatically or manually. If manually then the forerunners are also coming in numbers i believe

Last edited:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's impossible that it's existence is a bug. You have to flip a switch to grab it. It's possible that they didn't mean for it to have infinite ammo even without the Bandana skull on, or that it should do damage to you, which it doesn't now, but they definitely meant for it to be accessible.

No you don't. I just walked to the end of the turret and picked it up. I touched the switch after to see if it did anything. It's so easy to get I thought it must be a bug - that and the way it fires from down near your feet.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I had fun tooling around in the sandbox (when the game let me) but I don't know that the open world campaign was better than a more linear campaign that took Chief to the battle of Sydney, the Brute homeworld as it's blowing up, etc.

FauxBrian

Prophet of Truth
Aug 20, 2021

The switch is part of a separate easter egg, there's actually 3 switches around the area and if you hit them a thing happens. The tank gun is completely separate to this, and I've seen it pointed out all vehicle weapons are handled similarly - as wieldable weapons that the player can't access. The fact that it has infinite ammo and doesn't do damage to you makes complete sense in the context of it being literally the mechanic for firing a tank in the game. Now that doesn't make it impossible that it was placed there intentionally, but I'd lean towards it being accidental.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The switch is part of a separate easter egg, there's actually 3 switches around the area and if you hit them a thing happens. The tank gun is completely separate to this, and I've seen it pointed out all vehicle weapons are handled similarly - as wieldable weapons that the player can't access. The fact that it has infinite ammo and doesn't do damage to you makes complete sense in the context of it being literally the mechanic for firing a tank in the game. Now that doesn't make it impossible that it was placed there intentionally, but I'd lean towards it being accidental.

This explanation makes sense. Get your Scorpion Gun before it's patched out. I hope they don't patch it though even if it's a bug. It can be stupid fun to mess around with.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It's considered a glitch.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Very interesting topic. I write my take on it.

First of all I explore some lore explanation to back up what I am going to say.

Precusors came from outside of Milkyway Galaxy. Some of them decided to remain some continued their journey. Those that remained accelerated the life in the galaxy, and they could in some extend manipulate time. All life flourished under them including forerunners, humans and other species. But when Forerunners learned they are not destined to take over mantle and humans were chosen declared war on them. They won. However, it is not clear how. As it has been mentioned. Some precusors left the galaxy. Some became so sad and corrupted by their grief, that they turned into molecules and reshaped as flood. The last one Primordial or Timeless One was imprisoned on Erde Tyrenne which is now Earth.

Forerunners created the mendicant bias to safe guard it. However, it became corrupted by primordial and after bornstellar visited him, turned into gravemind along with other flood. War went on until the siege of the Ark. At this point Halos were completed by Fabre or master-builder. A fleet of 1 million ships under the command of Mendicant Bias attacked. Forerunners then created the most advanced and powerful ancilla to battle it. Offensive Bias. It hold the flood fleet with much weaker force until halos were fired and offensive bias was turned off waiting to be activated at a threaning time if it ever happens.

Now some things. First of all precusors technology were type 0. Their structures were indestructable. So how forerunners deafeted them ? Nobody knows. Even Bornstellar in Halo Cryptom said we could not defeated them. How we won, nobody knows.

Here in the data files, it was also mentioned, they could not win, so forerunner commited something way worse. There was also a picture of earth in the silent auditorium. Were primordial was first imprisoned.

Then we have precusors. they came from ouside and not all of them turned into flood. Also the ones that left before the purge are still alive. So they can return in their full form. Not corrupted flood.

There are yet Forerunners shield worlds on the edge of galaxy and beyond it that remained hidden. They can also return.

So when in the game it is written "Offensive Bias deployed", something way bigger than just flood is coming. A very good way to make epic games in future.

Jusy i am not sure if offensive bias was activated automatically or manually. If manually then the forerunners are also coming in numbers i believe

Where are you getting the lore information from?

It's just that the Timeless One was never on Earth, rather, discovered by Ancient Humans on a random planet, who transferred it to Charum Hakkor, then later transferred to Installation 07 after Mendicant Bias fired a Halo ring as part of a test towards Charum Hakkor, unwillingly freeing him. Mendicant Bias proceeded to converse with it, and defected to its side as a result.

Oct 27, 2017
Where are you getting the lore information from?

It's just that the Timeless One was never on Earth, rather, discovered by Ancient Humans on a random planet, who transferred it to Charum Hakkor, then later transferred to Installation 07 after Mendicant Bias fired a Halo ring as part of a test towards Charum Hakkor, unwillingly freeing him. Mendicant Bias proceeded to converse with it, and defected to its side as a result.
Yes you ar right. My mistake about it. I thought I read it in cryptum that it was first on the erde tyrene.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

And God of War had incredible performance capture of some excellent acting jobs, whereas Chief is just a blank, static helmet. Even Samus got plenty of great body language and eye-acting in Dread. I grew to like Master Chief more than ever over the course of Infinite's campaign, but he's still such a nothing character.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh... I don't want to have to play through the entire campaign again to get the skulls I missed and then go back and start the campaign over again for LASO on Legendary.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I'm sure someone already brought this here before but I really wish that liberating outposts and kiling unique enemies did something meaningful to the open world, the stuff you unlock is cool but in the end it felt like you were just filling checklists to upgrade your character(Which funnily enough is already quite overpowered from the start). Unless you go to a base and get a vehicle to take people with you it is almost meaningless.

And I have to echo the posts about the 2nd half, it's reeaaally weaker, not only the linear sections but the open world objectives also get more boring due the way they are distributed, although a couple have some interesting stuff in them.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh... I don't want to have to play through the entire campaign again to get the skulls I missed and then go back and start the campaign over again for LASO on Legendary.
Put it on Easy and go, it takes no time at all (well, 3-4 hours tops). Some of the Skulls provide so much fun in the open world though like Boom and Cowbell especially so I would recommend getting all of them.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Put it on Easy and go, it takes no time at all (well, 3-4 hours tops). Some of the Skulls provide so much fun in the open world though like Boom and Cowbell especially so I would recommend getting all of them.
If I get all the skulls on a new save file, I can take them into the OG run right?

EDIT: Do I have to track down all the skulls in one play through? Or will the skulls I've already found in my first run count?

Oct 27, 2017
If I get all the skulls on a new save file, I can take them into the OG run right?

EDIT: Do I have to track down all the skulls in one play through? Or will the skulls I've already found in my first run count?
The Skulls are Global unlocks meaning once unlocked they are unlocked on all playthroughs and Save slots. You can activate/deactivate them through the "Load" game option.