• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Hyperius

HINF_Hyperius_Concept.jpg
The fact that zero attention is brought to this in game makes me think it's not Locke's helmet, just the helmet of a spartan that wore the same helmet.
So are the endless the precursors/flood, or just another species that were punished like the humans, but by imprisonment instead of having their technology reset?
We don't know yet, but they are apparently more ancient than the Forerunners and Harbinger has a lot of Gravemind quotes.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
There was a line in the ending scene about the Endless asking for help I thought?

They believe we are here to help.

What do they need help with?

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Maybe Zeta Halo is imprisoning a bunch of alien species and the Endless being the strongest of the inmates? The Silent Auditorium was probably meant for more than just the Endless. The Harbinger could be one of the other alien species. If the Endless are as dangerous as some characters make them out to be, it would be pretty underwhelming if Chief just started gunning them down with ease. Maybe in the next campaign, we'll fight a coalition of all the freed species.

Fairly certain I heard Harbinger drop a "we" in one of her lines, implying she's Endless.

So are the endless the precursors/flood, or just another species that were punished like the humans, but by imprisonment instead of having their technology reset?

They aren't Precursors/Flood, there are a few tells. 1) cortana references them as being worse than Flood

2) They survived the Halo array firing somehow, don't think even Precursors would survive based on the space magic explanation of what the Halos do (they target nervous systems/neural physics, which is foundation of Precursor/Flood existence). The Endless were imprisoned by what remained of Forerunners/Forerunner AI some decades after the Halos fired.

And personally I think they would leave at least one hint that they actually were Precursors. Otherwise it sounds like writers are going out of their way to tell audience these are something different. Writers are clearly focusing on 'time' as a trait associated with Endless, too, which isn't really the definition trait of any other Halo species

Last edited:

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
We know this is not the case.

I wanna know is when is Spirit of Fire and Cutter gonna show up.

For the purposes of Master Chief's story those two things might as well be true. 76 Spartans on Laconia, 300 Spartans on the Infinity, UNSC headquarters got wiped out and the fleet is scattered, on the run and unorganized.

The only hint that there is some kind of organized military presence to back the Chief up is the multiplayer tutorial. We also know that the Spirit of Fire, Blue Team and Team Osiris are still out there but since these are hardly acknowledged in the game my guess is that they will only be relevant in the extended fiction.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the purposes of Master Chief's story those two things might as well be true. 76 Spartans on Laconia, 300 Spartans on the Infinity, UNSC headquarters got wiped out and the fleet is scattered, on the run and unorganized.

The only hint that there is some kind of organized military presence to back the Chief up is the multiplayer tutorial. We also know that the Spirit of Fire, Blue Team and Team Osiris are still out there but since these are hardly acknowledged in the game my guess is that they will only be relevant in the extended fiction.
You left out the Eternity and Palmer.

We also know Lord Hood is still alive.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
You left out the Eternity and Palmer.

We also know Lord Hood is still alive.

I've been wondering about that. Do we known the current status of that ship?

I'm a huge fan of the Infinity, which is basically the Halo equivalent of a Galaxy class starship. Wherever the Eternity is though, she better stay the hell away from Zeta Halo since the four Banished Dreadnoughts that took out the Infinity in five minutes are probably still out there.

Kiryu957

Sep 26, 2020
Loved the campaign. Am I reading into it too much or does the post credit scene being in first person was them teasing Atriox as the playable lead in the dlc. Also need to look up Offensive bias. I was only aware of Mendicant bias.

HungryYellow

Alt account
Banned
Nov 11, 2021
I found this, still not sure if it's any confirmation.
That seems indicative.

I know a lot of people are bothered by the lack of questions being answered, but I'm very happy with how they've handled it. Leaves a lot of room for expansion, and I'm super curious about the endless. I don't like how they've sort of downplayed the flood, so the endless better be good lol

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The fact that zero attention is brought to this in game makes me think it's not Locke's helmet, just the helmet of a spartan that wore the same helmet.

Conversely, you can tell from the game asset it's meant to be his helmet -- I imagine it's something they had planned to go deeper into, but ended up cutting (perhaps to leave them wiggle room). But I imagine they planned to give more context to the 'Spartan Killers' in the game, and likely had more story moments planned.

8Dwmxyb.jpeg

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Loved the campaign. Am I reading into it too much or does the post credit scene being in first person was them teasing Atriox as the playable lead in the dlc. Also need to look up Offensive bias. I was only aware of Mendicant bias.
An Atriox campaign is something I had never considered but now I absolutely want.

I have been thinking a lot about where they can go with future campaigns within the Halo Infinite sandbox and I am absolutely overwhelmed and overjoyed by the thought we could be getting another MCC in a way by getting tons of new modes/features/maps in the multiplayer side but also several ODST scale campaigns every two years or so.

An Arbiter campaign, a Locke campaign, an Atriox campaign, characters previously only in books, ODST 2 or just more Master Chief stuff, whatever. I am in. The story being where it is now means there truly is no limits to how they can expand the series and the foundation in place means it will be incredibly hard to screw up.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
so what's going on with earth during this game? was it controlled by cortana and then uh...i guess preparing to stave off a banished invasion?

HungryYellow

Alt account
Banned
Nov 11, 2021
So I'm not crazy? It stood out to me.
My interpretation is that a species far older than the Forerunner made that Halo their home in some way? Explains why The Weapon refers to the Forerunner artifacts as extremely old. Might be a reference to the Endless, but my understanding is that they were imprisoned by the Forerunner. I have no idea!

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
My interpretation is that a species far older than the Forerunner made that Halo their home in some way? Explains why The Weapon refers to the Forerunner artifacts as extremely old. Might be a reference to the Endless, but my understanding is that they were imprisoned by the Forerunner. I have no idea!
Do you know where I can find the line? Need to prove a snooty friend worng.😅

Kiryu957

Sep 26, 2020
That seems indicative.

I know a lot of people are bothered by the lack of questions being answered, but I'm very happy with how they've handled it. Leaves a lot of room for expansion, and I'm super curious about the endless. I don't like how they've sort of downplayed the flood, so the endless better be good lol
I believe it isn't because the propaganda grunt isn't reliable. He said the Escharum we defeated was just 3 grunts in a suit lmao. After digging through some audio logs, Laskey mentions Locke is already sent on an operation called Breaker Trip. I believe Blue team could also be a part of this operation.

Edit:

Operation: BREAKER TRIP

Operation: BREAKER TRIP was an operation conducted by the United Nations Space Command during the Created conflict. Sometime in late 2559, Codename: FIXER attempted to access data on the operation, alongside operations KICKSTAND and WOLFE. By...

So I found this. This is the operation Locke is on. Blue team is on a separate mission. Interestingly 343 has hinted at them in a cryptic video last year which was used as marketing for halo 4.

Last edited:

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would be absolutely flabbergasted if 343 actually went and just nonchalantly killed off Locke after all the work they put into him in 5.

I think he's definitely out there on the ring somewhere, alongside the likes of Laskey, Palmer, etc. Man I hope the campaign expansions come quick.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I would be absolutely flabbergasted if 343 actually went and just nonchalantly killed off Locke after all the work they put into him in 5.

I think he's definitely out there on the ring somewhere, alongside the likes of Laskey, Palmer, etc. Man I hope the campaign expansions come quick.

I truly wonder if the original motivational hook for MC was discovering the fate of Locke & the Spartans, but it didn't really land, so they quadrupled down of the Cortana story (which very much does work).

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
There was a line in the ending scene about the Endless asking for help I thought?

Well, we know the forerunners were viewed as a powerful race and when the flood appeared, I see no reason to think other races didnt look towards them for help.

That seems indicative.

I dont really think they fully downplayed the flood. I think more that they just infered the Endless were a bigger threat to the Forerunners for different reasons. The flood is still prob the greatest threat to the galaxy BUT the Endless were a bigger threat to Forerunner control and potentially Human control. If Humanity are meant to be the holders of the Mantle, then the Endless become a risk towards that. For what reason? We have no idea and I am perfectly happy with that question getting an answer at a later time. Not all questions need to be answered in one go (as you mentioned). 343 answered the big 2 questions they needed: what happened to Cortana and What happened to Atriox. Both got answers and their answers set up future stories.

Personally, I have no issue with him dying as I do think he ended up being a nothing character. The context of all the Osiris characters but Lock was at least interesting. That being said, I do dislike main characters being killed off-screen.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
343 never really succeeded in making the Spartan 4's some impressive force IMO. Oh wow the Spartan Killers killed some 4's no one cares about they must be dangerous.

Maybe it's because of how they were handled in Halo 4 where they were just a marine variant but Red Team impressed more in Halo Wars 2 than ANY Spartan 4 has shown to be capable of, and Red Team were still in Mark 4, not some Gen 3 Mark 7 armor.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Flood DLC would be cool, imagine a biome of flood, a part of the ring covered in a green haze and the landmass is just a giant flood outbreak.
keith-beltramini-kb-hw-12.jpg

0f46ff26bcf096be09be6dae25962f6e.jpg

hw2-awakening-the-nightmare-art-flood-everywhere-53626708acc849c7ba98aff4dae30b3b.jpg

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

All advanced civilizations at that time were getting their asses kicked by the Flood. Xalanyns might have had power over time but Forerunners had better weapons. Or whatever the Endless could do had no effect on the Flood similar to how the ring doesn't affect them.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
All advanced civilizations at that time were getting their asses kicked by the Flood. Xalanyns might have had power over time but Forerunners had better weapons. Or whatever the Endless could do had no effect on the Flood similar to how the ring doesn't affect them.

The thing I'm confused on here is that this explanation makes sense but also some other dialogue/lore (esp the post credits) implies the Endless were imprisoned after they were found by Forerunner/AI remnants 70-odd years after the Halo array firing... which also implies the Flood were pretty much defeated at that point.

Perhaps Endless needed help not against Flood but for fact that rest of galactic civilization collapsed. Idk

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
343 never really succeeded in making the Spartan 4's some impressive force IMO. Oh wow the Spartan Killers killed some 4's no one cares about they must be dangerous.

Maybe it's because of how they were handled in Halo 4 where they were just a marine variant but Red Team impressed more in Halo Wars 2 than ANY Spartan 4 has shown to be capable of, and Red Team were still in Mark 4, not some Gen 3 Mark 7 armor.

One thing that doesn't help is that the S4s are presented as annoying JJ Abrams-ass woohoo people, like the embodiment of the less entertaining "haha yea let's kick some ass" generic scifi marine dialogue. None of the gravitas you see with Blue Team, Noble, even Osiris or the Halo Wars teams. I get its partially intentional to portray them as hundreds/thousands of upstarts with a much smaller entry barrier than previous Spartan gens but they dialed up the obnoxiousness/JJ Abramsishness a little too much.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I'm confused on here is that this explanation makes sense but also some other dialogue/lore (esp the post credits) implies the Endless were imprisoned after they were found by Forerunner/AI remnants 70-odd years after the Halo array firing... which also implies the Flood were pretty much defeated at that point.

Perhaps Endless needed help not against Flood but for fact that rest of galactic civilization collapsed. Idk

I assumed that conversation took place before they were fired. IIRC they got all of the life forms catalogued before they fired. But then how did the Forerunners know they were immune from the halo firing.

I guess we'll find out in a comic book or something in the future.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017

I believe with the Flood. That's around the time the rings were fired.

Offensive Bias was deployed as the last resort against them.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
So what I'm getting from this is the Forerunners stole their tech/Halo designs from Zeta, one that was around since before they started building them? I thought it was interesting that it could rebuild itself (think it made itself smaller in Greg Bear's books at one point right?), something we haven't known the other Halos to be able to do without the Ark so far right? Or am I understand that wrong? Did they not come up with Halo? If not, interesting play/parallel on the Prophets lies being based on a lie based on a lie. They didn't even come up with the Halos? wat

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I believe with the Flood. That's around the time the rings were fired.

Offensive Bias was deployed as the last resort against them.
The legendary dialogue is decades after the firing of the Halos.
So what I'm getting from this is the Forerunners stole their tech/Halo designs from Zeta, one that was around since before they started building them? I thought it was interesting that it could rebuild itself (think it made itself smaller in Greg Bear's books at one point right?), something we haven't known the other Halos to be able to do without the Ark so far right? Or am I understand that wrong? Did they not come up with Halo? If not, interesting play on the Prophets lies being based on a lie based on a lie. They didn't even come up with the Halos? wat
No, Zeta Halo was made by the Forerunners. There is stuff older than the Forerunners on the ring, like the Endless, but the ring itself is simply Forerunner.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
The legendary dialogue is decades after the firing of the Halos.

No, Zeta Halo was made by the Forerunners. There is stuff older than the Forerunners on the ring, like the Endless, but the ring itself is simply Forerunner.

Ah ok. So most people are agreeing The Endless is some timey-wimey race? We going full time-crystals now with Offensive Bias or what

Feel like they should have showed Harbinger's squidish species' ship design to be that one from that one CE Anniversary terminal. You know the one. Just cuz.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok. So most people are agreeing The Endless is some timey-wimey race? We going full time-crystals now with Offensive Bias or what

Feel like they should have showed Harbinger's squidish species' ship design to be that one from that one CE Anniversary terminal. You know the one. Just cuz.
There's debate about the Endless, I don't think that the intention was to say they have control over time, just that the Forerunners couldn't allow them to exist (have time) as they could undo their plans. We are missing a ton of context, but the Endless are incredibly ancient and were somehow able to survive the firing of the Halo array.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
One thing that doesn't help is that the S4s are presented as annoying JJ Abrams-ass woohoo people, like the embodiment of the less entertaining "haha yea let's kick some ass" generic scifi marine dialogue. None of the gravitas you see with Blue Team, Noble, even Osiris or the Halo Wars teams. I get its partially intentional to portray them as hundreds/thousands of upstarts with a much smaller entry barrier than previous Spartan gens but they dialed up the obnoxiousness/JJ Abramsishness a little too much.
Yeah I fully agree. They ruined the dignity and mystique of the Spartans while they were around, so good riddance.