• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Offensive Bias was the lack thing mentioned. I think it's supposed the big mic drop cliffhanger of the scene. So I definitely think it's going to play a role in the future.

Again, not having played the game myself, the story does seem like it ends at weird spot. When that Bloomberg article mentions that 2/3s of the game was cut that statement might be literal. Having the one biome and there being no brand new enemy faction to fight in what is supposed to be the start of a new saga definitely suggests to me that campaign in Infinite was supposed to be the first half and then you would go to other locations to fight the Endless. The cut content would also explain why there are screenshots of stuff that didn't happen in the game. But definitely in the next campaign the Endless will for sure be a new faction to fight. I'll be curious on how and when 343 will deliver the new story stuff.

ya cut content happens, not exactly shocked by that. Honestly, the way the stories were structured, it being longer just would not have worked imo. It felt contained and controlled in a way that having the second half with the endless just would have been kind of exhausting. If it retained the old linear structure it could work, but with it having a more open zone design, having that other 2/3rds would have def over stayed its welcome. I think this story is the better result. This ones focus was on resolving cortanas fate (wonderfully done imo), explaining the banished (could have been better but enjoyed it and appreciate Atriox's focus on the last levels) and why they are on zeta halo and then introducing the next arc.

The offensive bias thing could point towards its involvement later or just be a name drop for the sake of name-dropping it. I mean, both that and mendicant are the most important AIs ever so them just being mentioned in verbal dialogue in a game is pretty major.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
ya cut content happens, not exactly shocked by that. Honestly, the way the stories were structured, it being longer just would not have worked imo. It felt contained and controlled in a way that having the second half with the endless just would have been kind of exhausting. If it retained the old linear structure it could work, but with it having a more open zone design, having that other 2/3rds would have def over stayed its welcome. I think this story is the better result. This ones focus was on resolving cortanas fate (wonderfully done imo), explaining the banished (could have been better but enjoyed it and appreciate Atriox's focus on the last levels) and why they are on zeta halo and then introducing the next arc.

The offensive bias thing could point towards its involvement later or just be a name drop for the sake of name-dropping it. I mean, both that and mendicant are the most important AIs ever so them just being mentioned in verbal dialogue in a game is pretty major.

If the original vision was reality, I don't think current Infinite Campaign would have the same pacing as it does now. I think it's possible that what is available in Infinite now probably the stuff what was most complete and in the best shape. Any other environments and enemy types were cut and what remained was "stretched" to its current length. What was supposed to be a snow area became another forest area. Focus on getting the Banished enemies perfect rather than include 10 additional enemy types. Stuff like that. And probably story stuff was rearranged. I definitely don't that only one biome and no new enemy factions were the original plan.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was hoping to come here so people could explain stuff to me but reading, it seems like no one really knows lol. What a weird story all around. Really weird to hype up "The Endless" so much and never actually show them. I've heard people talk about campaign expansions but is that actually confirmed or just a super vague "Halo Infinite is Infinite" sort of promise? Seems like following this up would take a whole new game of locations and mechanics, this was just kind of a prologue.

Little thing I really liked was how for the first time in 14 years, Lord Hood finally got mentioned in a mainline Halo game lol. He still exists!

I agree that I was kinda confused about Cortana's redemption. Cortana became space God and was ruling planets with an iron fist, sometimes blowing them up, but then Atriox plans to fire the ring* and she's like oh snap, that'd be evil! Wait, I've been evil too? I was kinda confused.

I was confused in general about the timeline of how things went down with her. Atriox got to her first, and evidently had "beaten" her so to speak, which was like, how? How do the Banished beat Cortana? Can't she just teleport herself away across the galaxy then send 20 Guardians to erase the Banished from existence?

*And speaking of that, why do the Banished want to fire the ring anyway? It's common knowledge at this point among all the races that they are simply galaxy-wiping death machines, correct? So what do they get out of that?

And yeah, man, what is with fiction and attempting to redeem genocidal villains? I was getting kind of tired of Cortana's dramatic whispering, it's like, didn't we do this in Halo 3? And her last speech is just... no better really. Just pure fluff. Like, seeing Chief dead is really what broke it for her? Some junk about how they were a perfect team? Like dang, Chief spent all of Halo 5 chasing you down to remind you of that basic fact, the only thing he knows how to communicate. Her heelturn to being genocidal never made real sense but like, for an AI, she sure seems stupid - what did she expect was going to happen to Master Chief in her dictatorship galaxy? He won't go down sleeping. It's so weird. Like dang, what a selfish person that one person dying is what makes her regret killing billions, the exact sort of thing that is obviously against the wishes of her best bud, RIP. Oof.

Just... so bizarre. You could say they tried to escape the wreckage of Halo 5 but they still made a point here of really showing how far gone she was, so it seems kind of moot.

Not really explaining the Banished's motivation, Cortana's dizzying reversals, this weird Endless stuff - like it was a fun romp, very stylish, I can't deny, but whew.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I love the ending. I'm so excited to explore the rest of Zeta Halo and 343 have me hooked on what the Endless could be. This game is certainly set up to last 10 years.

If Atriox actually died when Cortana blew up the Halo then I might be pissed. What a waste of a cool character. Fucker decimated the Chief and he dies off screen?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy speculation fanfic time: The legendary ending implies both that the Endless can control time and that they are immune to the effects of the Halo rings.

These two qualities, along with the statement of them being "worse than the Flood", make me think the Endless are a species that was created by the Precursors as a sort of failsafe. The Precursors based both their society and their creations on neural physics, a system that ties together biological nervous systems with metaphysical nerves of the universe itself. Everything from the tiniest animal life to the colossal star road filaments could be built this way. But this system presents an obvious problem: If something went wrong with neural physics, everything the Precursors built would be ruined. So they made a thinking species with no nervous system (which is bizarre to even contemplate) and some kind of innate potential to control time once they "Ascend". That species, the Endless, would then inevitably reverse time to the beginning and teach the Precursors what went wrong so they could get a do-over.

And of course, something did go wrong. The Forerunners massacred the Precursors and later constructed the Halo Rings, weapons designed to destroy anything built with Neural Physics. The Endless presented an existential threat. If they reversed time, the Precursors would know never to create the Forerunners. The Flood could destroy the Forerunners, but the Endless had the potential to erase them and all their accomplishments from history.

Tragically, the Endless were completely naive to their intended purpose. They saw the advance of the Flood and fearfully turned to the Forerunners for safety. "They believe we are here to help." The Forerunners responded by sentencing the Endless to eternal confinement for a crime they hadn't even committed yet. Which ironically only made the Endless hate the Forerunners and want to Ascend.

So again, the Forerunners fucked up and created their worst enemy.

Last edited:

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Did you watch the post credits scene?
I made that post during the credits.

So the Harbinger had a different silhouette on her "pod" (can't remember the name) than what the Endless have. What was she then? That is of course if those things at the end were Endless.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Anyone else a little disappointed we didn't see the Spirit of Fire? I was half expecting them, I'm not sure why. I mean I know why, if Atriox is at Zeta then that means he made it off the Ark which should mean the Spirit of Fire should have too, unless they're just going to kill them off off-screen.
Spirit of Fire featured in the last novel: Divine Wind, and is still on the Ark. Atriox made it off during the events of Shadows of Reach.
The Harbinger doesn´t seem to be an Endless. At some point you get to see her Cylix, and the "cover portrait" is very different from the ones in what Atriox seems to be unleashing at the end.

Also, the Harbinger definitely seems to talk about "The Endless" as "them" not as "we" when she dies at the end.
She refers to them as "we" earlier in the game. I think she switches to "them" once the signal is out and she knows she's dying.

It's all speculation, though.

Last edited:

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I feel like the talk of 2/3rds of the content being cut doesn't pertain to the size of the world though, which is pretty damn big, but the way we play missions and side missions within it.

I suspect Infinite was planned to be an ongoing GaaS expanding story game even when they cut the story down. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get as far as they wanted with the Endless story, but as a result tripled down on the MC/Cortana/Weapon stories... for great results.

What this game needs now (other than proper story expansion/sequels) is more to do in this MASSIVE world. While very different, they could probably learn a thing or two from Destiny. Likewise, games like Farcry have fun side missions with contained stories -- take that concept, sprinkle it with some ODST 'replaying someones memory' and they can really expand upon the section of the world already there.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
God I hope Cortana stays dead. Dead. Gone. Forever. She sucks. This whole weird relationship with her and chief has dragged the series for 10 years now!

Theres a lot I liked and a lot I didnt like about the story. Too many proper nouns being thrown around like they sound intelligent or mean anything consequential.

Last edited:

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Concept Art for The Harbinger makes her look very Precursor-y btw.

Can't wait for story expansions!

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Bulby said:
God I hope Cortana stays dead. Dead. Gone. Forever. She sucks. This whole weird relationship with her and chief has dragged the series for 10 years now!

343 gave us a literal clone that's probably also gonna be called Cortana, so I'm not sure how "dead" she really is from a storytelling standpoint^^

Still really unhappy with the fact that we got one of the most important, lore heavy locations in the entire universe with Zeta Halo, with the game CONSTANTLY teasing incredible mysteries hiding only for...absolutely nothing in the established lore having any influence whatsoever on this and all the teases instead being yet another new evil alien race that we also never get to know anything about. Engaging with the EU has never felt like more of a waste of time than after having played Infinite.

Why would you choose Zeta Halo as the location, constantly talk about all the incredible mysteries hiding there, only to ignore everything we know about Zeta Halo and...not show us a single one of th se mysteries?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
343 gave us a literal clone that's probably also gonna be called Cortana, so I'm not sure how "dead" she really is from a storytelling standpoint^^

Ill rephrase. I hope mopey emotional Cortana stays dead forever.

When shes saying that chief gave her all the happiness in her life, im literally screaming over the TV to not hear it. I just really dislike what they did with this relationship in 4 and 5. I hope this is a clean break.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i just beat the game

it was a very well presented bunch of nonsense

I have no idea what the fuck happened for most of this game but enjoyed every second of it

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
there is 0 time travel in that cutscene. Hell, I think its a push to even say there is time travel in the game. They infer the endless having some form of time manipulation but at the same time, they may not be referring to that at all either

The "time skip" scene is quite a big reference to that, I think.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
10 bucks that the Endless will incorporate a bunch of aspects from Prometheans (Harbinger already showed that) but now for a fleshy enemy. I am still rolling my eyes at the implications of the Endless though. The only logical explanation is Precursor, but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever considering how they were described to be dangerous (surviving a Halo pulse). 'Worse than the Flood' no no no, bad 343! That almost had my eyes rolling like 'Somehow Palpatine has returned'. 343 really needs to stop with this ancient evil bullshit, the Didact made sense, but this doesn't. Then they go and actively downplay the Flood. So, the Forerunners could imprison the Endless but got their shit kicked in by the Flood? But somehow the Endless are worse than a galaxy consuming parasite which can also corrupt the most sophisticated AIs? Right.

What happened to Atriox's face in the post credits scene? No idea that was warpaint, thought it was a tattoo. I am still absolutely bummed that John Dimaggio didn't reprise Atriox. If you have seen HW2, you know that Atriox's voice hits differently. In Infinite he sounds more like the rest, sadly. No idea why they changed it.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Am i the only one who finds the opening cutscene a bit weird? it feels like they had to quicky introduce:
Atriox is a scary dude
The infinite is fucked
Master Chief is fucked
Master Chief has a grapple-thingy

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Thought the story and the way they skipped a ton of stuff or just told it through audio logs and holograms was ass.

Have no interest in seeing what 343 do next.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
10 bucks that the Endless will incorporate a bunch of aspects from Prometheans (Harbinger already showed that) but now for a fleshy enemy. I am still rolling my eyes at the implications of the Endless though. The only logical explanation is Precursor, but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever considering how they were described to be dangerous (surviving a Halo pulse). 'Worse than the Flood' no no no, bad 343! That almost had my eyes rolling like 'Somehow Palpatine has returned'. 343 really needs to stop with this ancient evil bullshit, the Didact made sense, but this doesn't. Then they go and actively downplay the Flood. So, the Forerunners could imprison the Endless but got their shit kicked in by the Flood? But somehow the Endless are worse than a galaxy consuming parasite which can also corrupt the most sophisticated AIs? Right.

What happened to Atriox's face in the post credits scene? No idea that was warpaint, thought it was a tattoo. I am still absolutely bummed that John Dimaggio didn't reprise Atriox. If you have seen HW2, you know that Atriox's voice hits differently. In Infinite he sounds more like the rest, sadly. No idea why they changed it.
The legendary ending explains this pretty clearly. The Endless thought the Forerunners were allies. They had no idea the Forerunners were going to imprison them. They were imprisoned not for what they did, but for what the Forerunners thought they could do.

Also, the idea that "worse than the Flood" has to mean "must be able to kick more ass than the Flood" is silly. If the Endless can mess with time as the game seems to be hinting, that presents a threat to the Forerunners far worse than even their complete destruction: The erasure of their legacy.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
there is 0 time travel in that cutscene. Hell, I think its a push to even say there is time travel in the game. They infer the endless having some form of time manipulation but at the same time, they may not be referring to that at all either
That time stamp is surely indication of time travel.

Unless you think the time stamp only refers to the narration.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That time stamp is surely indication of time travel.

Unless you think the time stamp only refers to the narration.
I think it refers to the narration, but there are other hints of time fuckery that are so blatant that it's clearly being presented as an option.

Plus, time travel is an easy way to explain why the Forerunners are so scared of the Endless. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize how fucked the Forerunners are if someone travels back in time to tell the Precursors what the Forerunners will eventually do to them.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I think it refers to the narration, but there are other hints of time fuckery that are so blatant that it's clearly being presented as an option.

Plus, time travel is an easy way to explain why the Forerunners are so scared of the Endless. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize how fucked the Forerunners are if someone travels back in time to tell the Precursors what the Forerunners will eventually do to them.
I think the time stamp only being for the narration is very unlikely.

The legendary ending simply being an audio log which expands on the endless backstory would be super lame.

The legendary ending revealing that time travel exists would be super cool.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
I just want to know if Roland and Lasky are OK, maybe its because i marathoned the entire game + side content but i dont remember if their fate is ever told in the game.

BTW, while im not a H5 fan, i dont know if i like that they have abandoned the Construct Rebellion plotline. That would be the second time a HUGE franchise introduces this concept and then ignores it, the first one being Star Wars in the movie SOLO, i hated that shit -i liked the movie tho-

That Artificial Intelligence vs Humans plotline could be amazing and it is 100% in line with the lore of the series: its all a cycle of civilizations fighting to inherit The Mantle: Precursors vs Forerunners, Forerunners vs Humans, Humans vs Constructs, and then Constructs vs who knows. It was a really interesting concept and maybe too ambitious for a mainstream fps series like halo? idk, but Right Now the whole HARBINGER ENDLESS RECLAMATION RECONSTRUCTION feels like a lot of nonsense, id say its even worse than H4 in that regard. Maybe if i were a lore master i would understand it but right now it feels like they introduced a lot of stuff without explaining and expecting us to be intrigued.

H5 was such a massive disaster that it got us stuck in the "generic old civilization comes back again" timeline. But not everything in H5 was necessarily bad, it kinda feels like Star Wars IX ignoring stuff from Star Wars VIII because people did not like that movie. Me not like it.

The whole emphasis on the grapple was definitely a bit overboard.
Exactly my thoughts.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, and I'm surprised because I was absolutely prepared to hate it. Managed to take the abysmal Halo 5 plot and spin it into something much more entertaining. I don't have much of an opinion on the Endless other than being curious to see where that goes. Seems silly to wring my hands over something that I have little info about. My main actual confusion is the Harbinger seems to be preparing to try and revive the Endless, but the post game cutscene shows Atriox just..casually doing that very thing instead presumably lol

tootsi666

Dec 13, 2018

They are definitely keeping options open on what the Endless actually can do with time manipulation.

Personally, I think just being immune to Halo is enough for the remaining Forerunners to be afraid of them after the activation of the array. Imagine what the Endless could do if they controlled a Halo ring and used it against their enemies with no risk to themselves. After the activation they wouldn't even need Forerunner-level tech, as the reseeded races were stuck in stone-age for thousands of years

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
After beating the game, I can't help but wonder where pretty much every established character was in this game.

Halsey? Lasky? Palmer? Fireteam Osiris? Blue Team? Spirit of Fire?

It's not a knock against the game as I absolutely adored Infinite's campaign, I'm just really surprised they relegated a lot of those characters to just a few audio logs and then outright didn't mention others.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They are definitely keeping options open on what the Endless actually can do with time manipulation.

Personally, I think just being immune to Halo is enough for the remaining Forerunners to be afraid of them after the activation of the array. Imagine what the Endless could do if they controlled a Halo ring and used it against their enemies with no risk to themselves. After the activation they wouldn't even need Forerunner-level tech, as the reseeded races were stuck in stone-age for thousands of years
Yeah, thinking about this more, while time manipulation would make them a more dramatic threat, even just being immune to the Halo rings accidentally put the Endless in a position where they ruin all the Forerunners' plans to have humans take the Mantle.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay after finishing the game I can't help but feel like this would have been the perfect game to finally "retire" the master chief. This could have been the point where they actually try to open up the franchise to new characters (I know halo 5 tried this but halo 5 has a lot more flaws which made the story just not enjoyable). Instead the story feels like its meandering.

Also I just found it anticlimactic how Cortana went psycho in the previous game only for it to be solved kinda off screen.

Also stop with the ancient evil megafins! In the last 3 games we've had no less than 3 ancient resurrected big bads whom are defeated in their respective games. At this point the halo games are scooby doo episodes with the villains of the week vibe.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Harbinger sure did have a lot of Gravemind quotes… HMMMMMMM.
Big Halo Lore Dump below, linking to things in Infinite:

The portion of Precursors left the Galaxy during their war with the Forerunners and declared they would return. But what they returned as was not Precursor it was instead the extra-galactic parasite we know as the Flood. It originally infested ancient human colonies and drove humanity into Forerunner territory which erupted into the Ancient Human vs. Forerunner war... before the Forerunners found the flood that is... then there really was only 1 option left after all the fighting - ignite the rings.

However, any species catalogued or imprisoned within Cylix's would not be eradicated nor would any sentient beings on the Ark. It is unknown if any Forerunners did this to save themselves but we do know Cryptums also protected their inhabitants from the effects of the Halo array firing.

This all said, who/what are The Endless? They could be something totally new - for example we don't really know much about the race that the Skimmers and Harbinger belong to - are they Endless too? The Harbinger seems to be trying to bring them all back and Atriox seems to have found their imprisonment Cylix's on the ring in the post-credits cutscene. Plus, in the Legendary ending we can hear a conversation from eons ago regarding their imprisonment. However... are they some form of the Precursors? Who can say right now. But it is somewhat hinted at/brought up that either the Endless and/or the Skimmers/Harbinger's race are called "Yalanyn/Xalanyn" in an audio log.

The Precursors we've come across so far in the books (well the one, I guess) have been described very very differently to what the Harbinger and Skimmers look like - however the symbol/shape we see on the Cylix's in the post-credits cutscene is much more nebulous and strange and could be the Forerunner symbol for their species... but a Cylix seems to show the outline or a 'best estimation' design of sorts on the front of the catalogued species and the one we see in the Post-Credits scene does not look very humanoid at the very least.

Update:
I feel like I should also expand that the closest thing to a Precursor in the games is The Gravemind. The Flood is a form of Precursor, they're trying to emass enough intelligent life to form a Gravemind which is akin to one Precursor. But that doesn't mean precursors originally looked like The Flood or Gravemind - they were a power sentient species and weren't parasitic in nature until they left the galaxy and returned. We don't know why they became the flood or how.

We even have official artwork of a Precursor - and the name Precursor is likely not their actual name/species name. It is most likely a moniker they accepted or chose. However, we do not know if this Precursor is of their original form or changed/altered just like the Gravemind in the games, as we learn this Precursor is technically a Gravemind in the last of the Forerunner Trilogy of books. However in what way is never made explicitly clear.

It is very likely we have not seen a true Precursor before and we may never, unless they and The Endless are one and the same.
One of the traits of the Precursors is that they were change shape, how exactly they did that or how long it took is unknown.
The Harbinger doesn´t seem to be an Endless. At some point you get to see her Cylix, and the "cover portrait" is very different from the ones in what Atriox seems to be unleashing at the end.

Also, the Harbinger definitely seems to talk about "The Endless" as "them" not as "we" when she dies at the end.
Nah, she says stuff throughout that makes it clear she is an Endless. I think the only reason the Cylixes at the end don't match hers is simply because they haven't locked in all the designs yet, plus if the Skimmers are a lower form of Endless then we could be looking at a race with many variations, which also works hand in hand with the idea that they are Precursors.

Last edited:

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's kind of "funny" how they set up this Endless race as being unjustly imprisoned by the Forerunners, really making the Forerunners seem like the bad guy, and it's inevitable we'll be shooting up Endless in the next game. Gotta be the Forerunner's galactic police, extend their legacy, you know. I'm sure they'll be spewing the usual comically evil one-liners to justify it but whew.

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know if Roland and Lasky are OK, maybe its because i marathoned the entire game + side content but i dont remember if their fate is ever told in the game.
The audio logs on the FOBs tell Lasky's story. Chief gets him to Hudson Griffin (terrible name) who get him to a life pod. Just when you think he's safe, there's a big explosion sound. So that could go either way

Okay after finishing the game I can't help but feel like this would have been the perfect game to finally "retire" the master chief.
I thought he was going to die based on the multiplayer maps. There's so many wall murals of him in Streets and Bazaar that make more sense to me if he's gone. I think they'd used him as a recruitment tool to get people to sign up for the Spartan IV program, but still. To me, it felt more like the murals you'd see of (major Marvel character) after they died in Endgame.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Halsey was the one behind both Cortana and Spartan programs ? I thought she died on Reach ? did I remember wrong ?

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
The audio logs on the FOBs tell Lasky's story. Chief gets him to Hudson Griffin (terrible name) who get him to a life pod. Just when you think he's safe, there's a big explosion sound. So that could go either way

I'm pretty sure there was a line in another audio log that explicitly said his lifeboat was away, though he could've just as easily been gunned down by a phantom or killed after he got off the ring. I hope he made it but if not, maybe he's off with Narnia girl in the great beyond

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Halsey was the one behind both Cortana and Spartan programs ? I thought she died on Reach ? did I remember wrong ?
She is but didnt die on reach (She was in Halo 4/5 Lol) I believe the sniper June from noble team saved her on reach and they ended up on a shield world at some point, thats why she was MIA through Halo 1-3

Oct 25, 2017
She is behind both of those, and that might have been true at one point but if it was it was retconned. She's been on board the Infinity since the Spartan Ops side content stuff in 4. You see and talk to her in 5's campaign too.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Finished it today, what a fantastic game. Without a doubt the best Halo campaign since Reach and given how fresh it felt there's an argument to be made that it's the best of the lot.

With regards to the story I think it's a real mixed bag. I loved the personal stories between the Chief, The Pilot and The Weapon. I really enjoyed John's tensions with The Weapon knowing what he knows about her and Cortana and how that played out with the trust situation. I loved Chief's clear introspection about his decision-making and how he pulled The Pilot back from the brink to give him a second chance. Halo has never had this level of personal relationship between its characters and it really took the game to another level; I'm actively invested in seeing the trio together again in Halo: The Endless, which they've trademarked - that title makes a ton more sense after playing this game...

About "The Endless", it was one of the biggest issues with the narrative of this game that it's all building towards them as the central mystery but didn't show or tell us virtually anything about them. Was the Harbinger an Endless? We don't know. I thought the species design was really good for The Harbinger so I hope there are similarities, but that they don't give us any meat on them whatsoever is frustrating. They constantly describe The Endless as worse than The Flood but give us no explanation as to why, it just felt like one perpetual tease. Like never-ending foreplay. The whole game felt like a twist was around the corner and it never came, that third act of the Flood or The Endless never materialised and I echo the sentiments that they had one of the most mysterious Halo rings in the expanded lore and gave us very little interesting to find within. It was essentially just empty Forerunner hallways with audio logs scattered around and buttons to interact with.

Beyond that there was too much Reformation nonsense that was difficult to understand and built up to be less interesting than it was made out. Oh they're rebuilding the broken Halo ring? Makes sense. But that's the first big plot-point that the game builds towards and it's just not very interesting. It needed to be quicker and more direct with its central mysteries and what new things we have to learn about the Forerunners, Endless, Precursors and whatever else.

I sound down on the game, I really did enjoy it, but I thought there was some structural and writing issues which unfortunately didn't match the incredible design, art, sound, combat which carried a lot of it to its conclusion. In addition to the great characters I really enjoyed The Banished as enemies and having individual bosses was a welcome addition. I felt like Eschurum was a worthy opponent for once in a Halo game and I enjoyed his tale of chasing Legendary status by facing off against the Master Chief.

Lastly, on the ending, my reading is that the narration is in the past bu Atriox is very much in the present. The Harbinger says a line to Atriox during the final cutscene, which The Weapon calls out is not directed at Chief. It feels like those moments are almost happening co-currently as Atriox brings The Endless back at another part of the ring. Why people believed Atriox to be dead we don't know, but I guess we'll find that out in the next game.

With the structure and tech in place I really hope they can work to get a campaign expansion ready in the next 2 - 3 years. Hopefully there's a lot of stuff already concepted and planned. I also enjoyed the tease of a more arid landscape on the part of the ring Chief ends up. Bring on more of Infinite, a truly wonderful game.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
if this game was supposed to convince me that halo man and blue ai lady don't want to bang it didn't do a very good job at it

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Just like the game itself the story was a stitched together mess. It couldn't possibly have been planned this way. A six month skip and we never find out what happened to all the side characters on the Infinity, even the audio logs are incredibly vague regarding their fate. I assumed they all died when the Reverie got attacked by Escharum's forces but that ended up not being the case. The Harbinger was entirely pointless. She added nothing to the story aside from some exposition that could ironically have been added as an optional audio log.

Especially since she doesn't really seem to be connected to The Endless. She doesn't ever refer to them as "my people" or "us" so I guess she is someone unrelated. Such a weird ass character. Just have Atriox take her place in the story. He ends up being the one who frees them anyway.

That being said, I like where this game ends. A clearn slate. They can do whatever they want and all ties to the old games are severed. The UNSC is basically gone, the Spartan 4s are gone, Cortana and her Created are gone. Nothing to go back to, nothing to wrap up. Explore the ring, find out what happened to the rest of the survivors of the attack on the Infinity.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
e2v4h6zl5v551.png

if this game was supposed to convince me that halo man and blue ai lady don't want to bang it didn't do a very good job at it
I feel like it's more of a riff on sad dad

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
i just beat the game

it was a very well presented bunch of nonsense

I have no idea what the fuck happened for most of this game but enjoyed every second of it

My thoughts as well. Except for enjoying it. I absolutely hated this game, something I never would have expected from a Halo game.

The legendary ending simply being an audio log which expands on the endless backstory would be super lame.

The timestamp only appears on Legendary which is the only difficulty with the narration. That seems to imply the timestamp is only for the narration.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017

I saw someone react to the ending and their version didn't have the narration. The time stamp is only for that, not Atriox. Otherwise why wouldn't the present immediately change?

The Endless don't have the ability to alter time yet, or at least not with precision. That's what the narration says.

"Time is not a construct we can control"
"And we can not allow it to be theirs"

Atriox will wake up the Endless in the present. Maybe he already did by the end of the Harbinger fight and an Endless helped Chief.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
Hunters on legendary kicked my ass, maybe they would have been easier with the stealth upgrade but the point of no return came so soon that I didn't expect it and did not get my armor fully upgraded.

I liked the story, the way it was presented was original and interesting, the best part was how it got rid of the 4 & 5 side characters, in favor of the pilot and not-cortana that which are way better than random spartan IV and lasky. Also master chief being the last spartan again raises the stakes of the story which is great.

Whatever happens next, I just hope 343 stick with whatever they are making and stop changing their minds about what to do with the series for at least a couple of releases.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a time line of the events that happened prior to this game? These flashbacks and cutscenes really confused me.

I wonder how this ties into Halo Wars as well. Really disappointed Spirit of Fire didn't show up as if the Banished managed to get off the Ark, I figured Red Team would have found a way as well. I also assumed that Zeta Halo was the same as the one from Halo Wars 2 and the destruction was a result of the large chunk that Ellen removed in the end.

Also, I can't believe they shelved the Cortana storyline and once again had everything happen off screen. It makes Halo 5 even more worthless. What the fuck. It was such a cool direction too. I absolutely hate how important shit just happens and we have to wait for books and side media to fill in the gaps.

Overall, I did enjoy the story. It was a nice handoff from Cortana to Newtana and sets up the future pretty nicely. Felt like a reset. I'm disappointed how they handled Cortana but now that its all settled and Chief has moved on and got a new blue girlfriend, it's time for new and grander adventures for him.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game, I have so many questions (and disappointments).

Yet another game where Atriox is just there for a few minutes and doesn't really 'do' anything on screen. No signs or hints of the remains of the Infinity, no Halsey, no Sarah Palmer etc etc.

I'm guessing the previous news about them putting out story packs may be true, featuring different parts of the Halo and more characters etc ..

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting destiny type expansion vibes from infinite, especially with these big bosses, weapon variants, and open world story structures. I'll be interested to see where they go from here, but this structure is the shake up halo needed and deserves to have. The gameplay is crazy good, so just having expansions on different parts of the ring with different biomes and to continue to flesh out the lore and main plot points will be a welcome change than just waiting on the next numbered entry every time.