• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
[Full and open spoilers for the entire Halo franchise are permitted in this thread]

Campaign for Halo: Infinite will release extremely soon, and spoiler information for its story are out in the wild already. The game is picking up storylines from several different entries in the series, so this thread will serve as a discussion hub for the entire franchise.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So are Infinite spoilers allowed in here? Because I watched all the cutscenes last night and I have some questions.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
is locke still a character

are the flood in this game

wtf happened with cortana taking over a halo ring at the end of 5

find out on the next episode of dragonball z

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of the game is already up on youtube if people are curious. Haven't watched THAT far myself though.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Currently on the spire mission and holy hell. Loving the harbinger design and voice. Love that 343 semi ditched forerunner enemies by writing em out. Gives us a good reason to have interesting new enemies to fight. I'm already digging the new enemy type. Especially in conjunction with the beserker brutes

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The Spartans dying hitting me more than I expected, you can tell that shit is fucking with the Chief heavy

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
I'm done with the campaign, now the credits are rolling. That wasn't bad. I watched the legendary ending on Youtube: well lore fans will be happy I think, although that just gives us a lot more questions (Offensive Bias? Time Travel? Whaaat?? o.O) . We need a story dlc.

Anyway, it was a really screwed up idea to have a video after the credits in normal mode, Legendary is the same, but with a separate conversation.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Well that was something. The quotes from Halo 1 hit me hard - right in the nostalgia. There's some typical "343" issues with the story, with them just failing to explain things or skipping over others. Some of the audio logs reveal a lot too though. I am glad >HE< isn't dead though.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Well that was something. The quotes from Halo 1 hit me hard - right in the nostalgia. There's some typical "343" issues with the story, with them just failing to explain things or skipping over others. Some of the audio logs reveal a lot too though. I am glad >HE< isn't dead though.
Did you see the legendary ending?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No flood at all. I'm sad. :(

And the Endless are very very likely to be the Precursors.

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely love how the game basically starts with:

Here's the new big bad. His name's Atriox and if there's one thing you need to know about him it's that he's fuckin dead. If there's a second thing to know about him it's that Cortana's dead too. Ok have fun.

And I'm just what-the-fuck-guy.gif

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think the story wasn't too hard to follow IF you listened to the audio logs that are along the main path

The timeline of things was a bit confusing though. I don't fully understand why Cortana was at Zeta and her deal with Atriox. It seemed like she wanted control and blew up his planet for not obeying, but then somehow Atriox beat her or the Humans trapped her on Zeta? Then she sacrificed herself to blow up the ring?

Escharum was cool but sadly a bit wasted as most of his delivery was via holograms. His scenes in the war room were good though. I'm not sure about that one time Escharum said Atriox was his finest recruit though? I thought Atriox was the OG lol

I don't love the way they handled Escharums death how Chief was like he was just a soldier doing what he thought was right. I mean .. yeah sure... But he wiped out your Spartan friends and a lot of humanity. Why are you saying that lol

So is newtana taking the name Cortana now? I would assume so

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
I genuinely love how the game basically starts with:

Here's the new big bad. His name's Atriox and if there's one thing you need to know about him it's that he's fuckin dead. If there's a second thing to know about him it's that Cortana's dead too. Ok have fun.

And I'm just what-the-fuck-guy.gif
Atriox is not dead.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Also if anyone wants to provide context to the legendary ending🤌🤌

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I could swear the game says he's dead a bunch of times and that's why Escargot is the one in the rest of it.

That wasn't autocorrect, I don't actually know the other guy's name

Edit: maybe they say "gone" not dead, but regardless he's not a part of the story anymore
are you in this thread before finishign the game? lol

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also if anyone wants to provide context to the legendary ending🤌🤌
The dialogue sounds like its the Forerunner chief of Zeta Halo back during the Forerunner-Human war talking about activating the Halo Array to kill the Precursors. And looks like Atriox is about to release the Endless/Precursors.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The dialogue sounds like its the Forerunner chief of Zeta Halo back during the Forerunner-Human war talking about activating the Halo Array to kill the Precursors. And looks like Atriox is about to release the Endless/Precursors.
So is it from the lore/books that Zeta halo has the Flood on it AND these Endless/Precusors? Sounds fucked

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Now that this thread is active again, I suppose my questions are; what is left of humanity? What Spartans are still alive? Where the hell does the story go from here?

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hah, found the Flood thing too, nice.

Also, one of the audio logs hints at the real name of the Endless being "Xalanyn". Looked that up for a lark, and there's a Reddit account with that same name... Made a little under a month ago. There's no posts or anything on it... yet. A coincidence, a fellow reviewer having a lark, or omething else?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I also don't fully understand the Harbinger's motivations. Something about being imprisoned or somethin

And the Banished/Atriox and the Harbingers had the same goal... of releasing the endless? But the Harbinger didn't really care for the Brutes, just had an uneasy alliance it seems

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Hah, found the Flood thing too, nice.

Also, one of the audio logs hints at the real name of the Endless being "Xalanyn"

As I understand it, this is not the name, but the species.

"Xalanyn: A species previously uncatalogoued."

By the way, I don't know how good an idea it is to bring time travel into the world of Halo.

Last edited:

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I don't get it. I thought the Flood originated from the last Precursor. I haven't been keeping up with lore. Has this been retconned?
Big Halo Lore Dump below, linking to things in Infinite:

The portion of Precursors left the Galaxy during their war with the Forerunners and declared they would return. But what they returned as was not Precursor it was instead the extra-galactic parasite we know as the Flood. It originally infested ancient human colonies and drove humanity into Forerunner territory which erupted into the Ancient Human vs. Forerunner war... before the Forerunners found the flood that is... then there really was only 1 option left after all the fighting - ignite the rings.

However, any species catalogued or imprisoned within Cylix's would not be eradicated nor would any sentient beings on the Ark. It is unknown if any Forerunners did this to save themselves but we do know Cryptums also protected their inhabitants from the effects of the Halo array firing.

This all said, who/what are The Endless? They could be something totally new - for example we don't really know much about the race that the Skimmers and Harbinger belong to - are they Endless too? The Harbinger seems to be trying to bring them all back and Atriox seems to have found their imprisonment Cylix's on the ring in the post-credits cutscene. Plus, in the Legendary ending we can hear a conversation from eons ago regarding their imprisonment. However... are they some form of the Precursors? Who can say right now. But it is somewhat hinted at/brought up that either the Endless and/or the Skimmers/Harbinger's race are called "Yalanyn/Xalanyn" in an audio log.

The Precursors we've come across so far in the books (well the one, I guess) have been described very very differently to what the Harbinger and Skimmers look like - however the symbol/shape we see on the Cylix's in the post-credits cutscene is much more nebulous and strange and could be the Forerunner symbol for their species... but a Cylix seems to show the outline or a 'best estimation' design of sorts on the front of the catalogued species and the one we see in the Post-Credits scene does not look very humanoid at the very least.

Update:
I feel like I should also expand that the closest thing to a Precursor in the games is The Gravemind. The Flood is a form of Precursor, they're trying to emass enough intelligent life to form a Gravemind which is akin to one Precursor. But that doesn't mean precursors originally looked like The Flood or Gravemind - they were a power sentient species and weren't parasitic in nature until they left the galaxy and returned. We don't know why they became the flood or how.

We even have official artwork of a Precursor - and the name Precursor is likely not their actual name/species name. It is most likely a moniker they accepted or chose. However, we do not know if this Precursor is of their original form or changed/altered just like the Gravemind in the games, as we learn this Precursor is technically a Gravemind in the last of the Forerunner Trilogy of books. However in what way is never made explicitly clear.

It is very likely we have not seen a true Precursor before and we may never, unless they and The Endless are one and the same.

Last edited:

WJD

Nov 4, 2017
I've just put Escharum down so I assume I'm pretty close to the end?

I think the game started pretty strongly, and the open world is actually a really fun playground, but there's a chunk of missions around the middle of the game that feel so repetitive in visuals and design. So much button pressing. So much seed planting.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Btw when was the last time we heard about Offensive Bias? Halo 3 terminals?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Btw when was the last time we heard about Offensive Bias? Halo 3 terminals?
In the games? Technically, yeah it was Halo 3. For whatever reason 343 used it's symbol on a weapon skin in Halo 4 but I don't count that as us hearing about it.

In the books? It's mentioned a bunch in Silentium. The last thing I remember it doing actually is taking Mendicant Bias' core to the Ark actually but its been a while since I read that trilogy - so I may need to revisit them.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
What da heck is Harbinger and the Skimmers
Yeah this is one I have no idea on. Can't tell if they're even related (but it does seem to be the case). Seems like either they are also apart of the Endless OR they're another species catalogued by the Forerunners who had connections with the Endless but weren't locked away/hidden like the Endless are.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What da heck is Harbinger and the Skimmers
Yeah this is one I have no idea on. Can't tell if they're even related (but it does seem to be the case). Seems like either they are also apart of the Endless OR they're another species catalogued by the Forerunners who had connections with the Endless but weren't locked away/hidden like the Endless are.
Skimmers seem to be a new race belonging to the Banished, maybe they were part of the Covenant Fringe before.

Harbinger is an Endless, it seems. The lore seems to indicate they're NOT Precursors, but something different: a species unaffected by the Halo effect. That apparently scared the Forerunners enough that they decided to lock them away inside Zeta Halo. One of the audio logs seems to call them the Xalanyn.
As I understand it, this is not the name, but the species.

"Yalanyn: A species previously uncatalogoued."

By the way, I don't know how good an idea it is to bring time travel into the world of Halo.
That's what I said. The Endless/Xalanyn seem to be synonymous, unless the Endless are some kind of subset of the Xalanyn.

Last edited:

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I was thinking. I don't think the Endless are Precursors. I think they have something to do with Time which is what freaked out the Forerunners.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Skimmers seem to be a new race belonging to the Banished, maybe they were part of the Covenant Fringe before.

Harbinger is an Endless, it seems. The lore seems to indicate they're NOT Precursors, but something different: a species unaffected by the Halo effect. That apparently scared the Forerunners enough that they decided to lock them away inside Zeta Halo. One of the audio logs seems to call them the Xalanyn.

That's what I said. The Endless/Xalanyn seem to be synonymous, unless the Endless are some kind of subset of the Xalanyn.
Yeah this is mostly what I've been thinking. The explanation of what the Skimmers are and such seems to just blow past with no time spent explaining what/who they are. Their armor is very similar the the Harbingers and they even have the same chest symbol & red/grey colouring as the Harbinger too which is confusing. We also don't see them until we're on Zeta Halo which, to me anyway, could suggest they were brought out of multiple Celix devices but again the game doesn't explain where they came from or anything. Hopefully there's so more lore about them soon or hidden in the game somewhere because I do agree that they are likely just a new species in the Banished and not directly related to the Harbinger (although she uses crazy electric magic attacks in her boss fight and they use electric shock weapons).

Either way... if the Harbinger is an Endless - then 343 probably will just forget/not explain why her Celix looked like her and the Endless Celix chamber we see at the end has lots of them with the same ornane weird symbol on them.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that campaign so much. I hope someone puts together a nice tidy timelines video or text post soon that pieces all of the events together. I feel like I'm a LITTLE in the dark still about what happened during those 6 months and before. I missed some audio logs and some of them got interrupted and stuff, so I didn't get a perfect presentation of it all.

From what I understand, the UNSC enacted some plan to use The Weapon to lock Cortana onto Zeta Halo. The Banished attacked and caught them off guard in the middle of the operation, but they still managed to trap Cortana first. So then Atriox came down to destroy Cortana, but she nuked that part of the ring to sacrifice herself and delay them, leaving the echoes and the message in hope that Chief would make it down there. Is that about right? Anything else I missed?

Oh, and what exactly was The Harbinger attempting to do at the end, during the boss fight? I got a little hazy on the reformation and whatnot. I thought we had stopped the reformation already, but I guess not? Also a little unclear on her relationship with the Banished. I know that her overall motivation is to bring back The Endless, but I can't remember how the Banished came into play there.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So at the end of the game, Chief and Cortana* are on the opposite side of the ring (given how they look out and the broken end is all the way out there). They were also in a very dusty, rocky area. That kinda seems like hinting at new biomes in future expansions, no? Just me?

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Wish the Skirmishers actually looked like Skirmishers. They're just a regular Jackals with a red plume added on top.

This is what they should look like. Badass.
Halo_Reach_-_Skirmisher.png

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game

Definitely the best 343 campaign and the best one since Reach.

It's kind of funny how Halo 5 was sort or swept under the bus and addressed at the same time.

It feels like the stuff that happened after Halo 5 and before Infinite could have been its own game.

But I understand the clean break.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
And the Brute is Atriox at the end. (97,368 BCE)
Does the cutscene take place then, or just the VO? Does the timestamp show up on difficulties below Legendary? I didn't see it on Heroic at least, and that doesn't have the VO.

I somehow doubt Atriox jumped back to before the firing of the Array.