• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Hmmm so this guy seems to confirm ray tracing in at least a limited capacity but it's not officially confirmed. Alrighty then.
i dont think he confirmed it. it seems to me that he was just talking about what RT is in general terms. i still expect it though
He directly refer to Ray Tracing in their "next upcoming game", also comparing the fake reflections of Halo 5 to what we can expect instead from Infinite.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm gonna be real, I really hope they don't go into any deep lore stuff for Infinite. Halo 4 really suffered for it, and I say that as someone who was following the books closely enough at the time to understand what was going on. Halo Infinite's story needs to be completely comprehensible to people who've never read a Halo book. Heck, I'd argue that it should probably be comprehensible to people who've never played a Halo game before.

Every significant character they introduce should be fully contextualised within the game, at least to the point where the plot makes sense, and no one's left feeling like they're missing something. No one should come out of it feeling like they have to study up to grasp what just happened.

I don't think the problem with Halo 4 was so much the deep lore stuff, as it was the game doing a piss-poor job of actually contextualizing what the hell was going on in an elegant way.

Virtually all of the major lore exposition comes via a single infodump from the Librarian, and there's all sorts of key context that isn't present unless you've at LEAST watched the terminals up to that point, as well as maybe even a novel or two. Didact referring to humans as "her pets", the careful reseeding of humanity to ensure they would evolve technologically along certain paths, Didact's relationship with the Librarian, what the hell happened to ancient humanity's empire, what is the "Mantle of Responsibility" and why does it even matter, the fundamental nature of what the Composer and Domain are, etc.

All of that stuff is only explained via terminals, but without it the Librarian's monologue just sounds like a bunch of arglebargle that culminates in her anointing Chief as The Special (TM), when it's much more interesting and complicated than that.

Even the game's end cutscene (which I love), with Didact reciting what sounds like his argument against using the Halo Array to the Forerunner Ecumene Council, would be completely lost on people who didn't see the terminals. Why is Didact talking? Who is he talking to? What is going on??

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the problem with Halo 4 was so much the deep lore stuff, as it was the game doing a piss-poor job of actually contextualizing what the hell was going on in an elegant way.

Virtually all of the major lore exposition comes via a single infodump from the Librarian, and there's all sorts of key context that isn't present unless you've at LEAST watched the terminals up to that point, as well as maybe even a novel or two. Didact referring to humans as "her pets", the careful reseeding of humanity to ensure they would evolve technologically along certain paths, Didact's relationship with the Librarian, what the hell happened to ancient humanity's empire, what is the "Mantle of Responsibility" and why does it even matter, the fundamental nature of what the Composer and Domain are, etc.

All of that stuff is only explained via terminals, but without it the Librarian's monologue just sounds like a bunch of arglebargle that culminates in her anointing Chief as The Special (TM), when it's much more interesting and complicated than that.

Even the game's end cutscene (which I love), with Didact reciting what sounds like his argument against using the Halo Array to the Forerunner Ecumene Council, would be completely lost on people who didn't see the terminals. Why is Didact talking? Who is he talking to? What is going on??

Yeah this.

I'm all for deep lore stuff being presented in the games aslong as 343i gives proper explanations/context in-game correctly. In addition they should add an in game codex system like in Mass Effect and Halo Wars 2.

Oct 26, 2017
I heard a rumor there will be emotes in Infinite, is this substantiated in any way? Tbh I wouldn't mind an interaction wheel like Overwatch has.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is the Xbox event in May happening? Does anyone know? I have searched google but couldn't find anything. Is it early May, middle late? Their communication has been so poor.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way the xbox event is next tuesday.

They would have announced it beforehand, especially since they want press/influencers to have a heads up

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

They would have announced it beforehand, especially since they want press/influencers to have a heads up
Very reliable insiders have hinted as such. It won't be an E3 style event but there will be news, potentially Lockheart reveal. Unclear if we'll hear anything about Halo.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Nothing saying they didn't already do that, then ask them to be quiet about it until a certain date.

Assuming it's just another online info dump or something, it's also not really something that would require a ton of advance preparation for the media.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing saying they didn't already do that, then ask them to be quiet about it until a certain date.

Assuming it's just another online info dump or something, it's also not really something that would require a ton of advance preparation for the media.

In fact, that's likely why there is so much buzz in the first place!

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Very reliable insiders have hinted as such. It won't be an E3 style event but there will be news, potentially Lockheart reveal. Unclear if we'll hear anything about Halo.

You don't need weeks notice to announce a stream
I hope you're right.

Actually, in my mind i was imagining an event with people in attendance and completely forgot about the whole COVID-19 aspect.

So yeah, since it's a stream, it might not need so much notice.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

In fact that's exactly what they did for the hardware reveal last month.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
343i is going to have a field day, if people can buy armor, skins, emblems, nameplates, emotes and maybe even HUD's.

After yesterdays Game Pass announcement (10 million subscribers), I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Oct 26, 2017
May 7th is strictly 3rd party stuff. MS is holding a summer event for their first party.
giphy.gif

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Guys search your feelings. Halo infinite is in dev hell. You know it to be true.
This is hardly indicative of that.

They were always planning on waiting till E3 to show the game. The fact that E3 was cancelled doesn't mean 343 would completely change up their plans to show the game earlier.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

They were always planning on waiting till E3 to show the game. The fact that E3 was cancelled doesn't mean 343 would completely change up their plans to show the game earlier.

I mean I understand not showing gameplay. But they have literally given us jack over the past 2 years. Not even the faintest hint of a story snippet or what the enemies and such will be.

Feb 10, 2018
Was playing halo 1 in mcc last night, the remade version is running like ass on the x1x, but the og mode is a good 60fps.

The game was ahead of its time, such a cool sense of mystery and exploration i hope they go this direction with infinite.

Last edited:

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I understand not showing gameplay. But they have literally given us jack over the past 2 years. Not even the faintest hint of a story snippet or what the enemies and such will be.

It is not hard to figure out that they are going to have their first gameplay reveal be for the XSX. You shouldn't have expected anything else until the next gen showcase.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Pain. All I know is pain :/

Hell, I'd take a story snippet of what's going on at this point

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its the lack of content/hype building/flighting/beta news

It's also the troubling departures and other reviews and such

Hope to be proven wrong but I'm worried

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Fuck me i need Halo Infinite info,started playing Halo Reach campaign yesterday that shit holds incredibly well a decade later,Bungie thank you.

And guys lets not forget theres a Halo TV series coming,with a character description that reads "an orphaned human who was raised by the alien Covenant and shares their contempt for humanity".

Oct 26, 2017
I mean every show and movie is on hold now.
Prior to that it wasn't looking good either, it was announced in 2013 and I don't think we got any information until 2019, and last I heard they were having issues finding a director to stick with the project.

And guys lets not forget theres a Halo TV series coming,with a character description that reads "an orphaned human who was raised by the alien Covenant and shares their contempt for humanity".
Oh I didn't know that, yikes

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
how the hell my launch xbox one will handle this?
I would realistically expect Halo Infinite to run really bad on OG Xbox One.

Something like Dynamic Resolution with 900p as max target but with an actual average of 720-800p.
Assets resolution, details and post-processing will also be lower, and obviously zero ray tracing support.

This way framerate will not drop much from 60fps and will still be playable/competitive against Xbox One X, Series X and PC Multiplayer base.

Load times will for sure be a lot more and longer compared to Series X tho.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Yeah from what I understand it was shooting, though I dunno if covid stuff interfered with production.
Still don't like the freedom they took in changing key characters and backstory like Jacob and Miranda Keyes.

It seems the series will drift considerebly from the Halo Canon and only because of TV Production enforced diversity or ethics, or just for the appeal the series would have for a broader audience.

Unfortunately I fear most Halo fans will be disappointed by it, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.