• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want Infinite to be?
OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So it's been a little light on news, but I think we are going to be getting some Infinite news in the coming months and maybe even sooner. Until that point there's not much to talk about, so I'll just lay out this question and it can be as open ended as you want it to be...

What do YOU want Halo Infinite to be?

Oct 27, 2017
I've been missing a consistent multiplayer shooter since I stopped playing overwatch and I think halo can fit that bill. I absolutely adored halo 5's MO and I want that but tons more stuff

boi

Nov 1, 2017
I like that MS/343 keeps quiet. They want to dominate the gaming news cycle at the end of the year prior to the XSX launch.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So it's been a little light on news, but I think we are going to be getting some Infinite news in the coming months and maybe even sooner. Until that point there's not much to talk about, so I'll just lay out this question and it can be as open ended as you want it to be...

The only concrete items on my wishlist:

- Armor designs more reminiscent of the Halo 2 Anniversary/Halo 3 design philosophy (which they appear to be doing awesomely so far)

- A story more in line with Halo 2 through Halo 4 tonally. Halo 4 is my personal favorite story in the franchise with Halo 2 right behind it. Love Chief working with a singular partner for most of a story. Not a big fan of Halo 5's focus on two teams of 4 people each; not enough time to really connect to or care about anyone.

- BIG TEAM BATTLE. The appeal of Halo multiplayer for me has always been large teams, big objective based maps, lots of vehicles. I want bigger than ever before. More players, more vehicles, more objective types.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY

A return to form with a top notch campaign and a full multiplayer suite on day one.

More specifically, I hope it's 343i's take on what Halo: CE could look like in 2020, if that makes sense. Large open campaign maps (or even an open world) that invoke the spirit of what levels like "Halo" or "The Silent Cartographer" were going for, with multiple objectives and large areas to experiment with the sandbox of vehicles and weapons. The return to a more classic Halo art style is a big positive for me already, and along with that I hope they can bring back some of the mystery that came with exploring these alien worlds that I feel has been missing from mainline Halo for a longtime.

I have never had an issue with stuff like sprint or ADS so I don't care which direction they go on those particular decisions, but I do want to see stuff like a proper BTB mode with not just forge maps, forge there properly from day one, a theatre mode, etc. Halo has always set the bar high in terms of content compared to its FPS peers, and Halo 5's launch was hopefully an exception and not the rule.

I guess if I could distill it down to a cliché line, I want to see Halo with the design philosophy of something like Breath of the Wild. I don't mean just copy everything BotW did, I mean more capturing the essence of the earlier titles while bringing something fresh and revitalizing to the series as a whole.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

Big Team Battle - Team Slayer is my jam.

Deleted member 63305

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2020

Honestly, I want a great SP like Halo 4 with great multi. like Halo 5. I think 343's 3rd take on this story will be the best so far.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará

I want a bigger story focus and a 15-20 hour campaign, they also need to nail MP progression, Gears 5 failed miserably at this, you can have the best playing game ever, if you can't get anyone hooked with unlocks and post launch support with reasonable microtransactions, the game falls short on player count.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I want a bigger story focus and a 15-20 hour campaign, they also need to nail MP progression, Gears 5 failed miserably at this, you can have the best playing game ever, if you can't get anyone hooked with unlocks and post launch support with reasonable microtransactions, the game falls short on player count.

I hope not. If the game is semi open world and has side missions then total 15-20 hours is fine but 8-12 hours should be the sweet spot.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

I always felt that Halo's best multiplayer hook was their skill ranking system. I know the weakness of the 1-50 ranks, but I still feel like it somehow worked the best. They'll probably keep the Halo 5 ranking system, though, which is fine with me. If they backtrack on ranking too much I'll be really bummed. Armor skins through xp ranking are nice too, but they're pretty secondary to me.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I always felt that Halo's best multiplayer hook was their skill ranking system. I know the weakness of the 1-50 ranks, but I still feel like it somehow worked the best. They'll probably keep the Halo 5 ranking system, though, which is fine with me. If they backtrack on ranking too much I'll be really bummed. Armor skins through xp ranking are nice too, but they're pretty secondary to me.

The Halo 2 system was simple which is why it was so fun and addictive.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really excited for Infinite, but I'm quite worried that the grand return for split-screen play is going to be ruined by black bars on the side of the screen. Does anyone think this is going to happen with Infinite?

For reference -

fvuZl6u.jpg

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
i miss halo 2 and 3 ranking. was addictive, stressful, and fun. reach wasnt a fan of, not sure what 4 was and 5 was a happy medium

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 ranking was alright. Honestly I just miss the Halo 3 XP system for social ranks. Probably in the minority but that was the only time I actually got "addicted" to ranking up in Halo

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I want the return of the king.

Oct 26, 2017
I "just" want it to be Halo CE all over again, but for a new generation of gaming and gamers.
This.

They really gotta tear Halo down to it's core and expand on the pillars of gameplay and storytelling that made CE so great. The formula has gone stale by now and incorporating the latest trend will not freshen it up. We need something new that still respects the foundation of the franchise.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
i miss halo 2 and 3 ranking. was addictive, stressful, and fun. reach wasnt a fan of, not sure what 4 was and 5 was a happy medium

Maybe it's just because Halo was the first game I played to have a proper skill ranking matchmaking system, but it felt to me like 2-3 did a great job of making really close, tense games. If I was off my game, I'd drop a little, if I was on my game, I would do really well and move up. The ranks matched with the fact that Halo is so good at the "fair kills" where you understood where you went wrong from a death or right with a kill made everything feel justified. 5 had that too, but it didn't feel quite as balanced to me, but like I said, nostalgia could play a part. 5 did make sense with the ranked "seasons", where you sort of start fresh every couple of months but play the initial rank deciding matches with equivalent players to your previous season rank so you don't have to start entirely from the bottom every time.

The thing that always blows my mind is that more games don't have proper skill ranking systems at all. Then you have games like Modern Warfare that have a system working in the background, but there is no actual displayed rank, which is just a terrible idea. It's weird how a little number denoting your skill level can make all the difference in the world.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If it's open world I don't want any damn skill trees

I'll take warthog/weapon upgrades and customization, but please god no skill trees.

If there are more human characters, the Spirit of Fire crew would be really fucking cool to see if they're not occupied waiting for another sequel for 8 years.

Firefight mode in the vein of ODST

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

• SP - a coherent, well paced story in a world full of mysteries and wonder, ala CE
  • if traditional, linear, levels - make them big and wide. expansive. massive. if we're switching to some form of open world it must have a campaign that feels urgent and retain good level design for missions. oh, and an indestructible hog.
  • a campaign that is mostly lone wolfing it with a few battles alongside AI marines. No squad.
  • large scale, epic battles, some featuring multiple factions.

• MP - a toned down, simplified halo 5. i shouldnt need an elite to feel like i can do most of the moves. depending on testing, i think i'd be good with thrust, slide (and thrust +slide!), and clamber returning. no sprint.
  • radar in unranked, proteam/mlg influenced settings for ranked.
  • BTB to return as a focus plus a revamped, "balls to the walls", massive warzone mode.
  • finally, a steady stream of content (skins, voice packs, and especially QUALITY dev maps).

• For both - a return to classic floaty physics and grenade launching

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
If it's open world I don't want any damn skill trees

I'll take warthog/weapon upgrades and customization, but please god no skill trees.

If there are more human characters, the Spirit of Fire crew would be really fucking cool to see if they're not occupied waiting for another sequel for 8 years.

Firefight mode in the vein of ODST
Imagine that Red team and Blue team were re-united in Halo Infinite. Unnnfff.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019

Halo of the Wild or Halo: Destiny

HEAR ME OUT

Halo to me has always thrived in a few major ways relative to other FPS games:
1. Openness and freedom of movement (through vehicles)
2. Ability to play together with friends in both Campaign and Multiplayer

I think Halo could benefit from taking notes from BOTW and Destiny, two games which work well in their respective area.

What would I like Halo specifically to take is:

1. Destiny's raids (Bungie didn't invent raids, but the idea is sound) but NOT Destiny's grinding. I love PvE in general, but wow do I dislike grinding for material possessions as a primary motivation, feels like it takes away from the intrinsic motivation of overcoming the challenges themselves through cooperation and teamwork. 343's already started this with Warzone Firefight, but wave-based encounters can only take you so far.

2. BOTW's freedom to approach encounters in a variety of ways (Halo already does this to some extent, but it tended to get put on the wayside in favor of "Here's all the guns you need for the next fight!"). Having more creative ways of utilizing the tools and weapons at hand and how they interact with the physics system is very appealing to me. Makes me REALLY wish Halo worked in VR. Over time, Halo simultaneously expanded its weapon sandbox but reduced the amount of viable weapons at any given time.

I've played every Halo game, both mainline and offshoots, and ready almost every book (still need to read the last two released recently), and Halo's been a part of my life since I was 6. I know these aren't the criteria most traditional fans are looking for in Infinite, but I think they would be valuable additions to the franchise.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017

Colorful and bright, like Halo 3. Wide and vast areas. Lots of vehicles to explore levels with. Optimistic story amidst challenging odds. Melodic and hopeful music. All of the stuff they've said so far sounds perfect.

I'm a huge lore fan (read all the books and ancillary materials), but I've always found it best when it exists around the edges, for those fans to find and feel like they're discovering this mythical history. The Halo 3 terminals were great examples. In general, even when it was finding my way out of the level perimeters in Halo 2, or solving puzzles in pre-release ARGs; so much of my enjoyment of Halo comes from finding hints at stuff beyond what is there, and imagining and speculating with friends as to the greater meaning to the universe.

I remember back in 2007 going on Halo 3 co-op "lore tours" with folks from Ascendent Justice (Vociferous and Copopjojo who both went on to work on Halo, Voc becoming the lead writer for the franchise team), where we would go around Tsavo Highway, learning little details we'd otherwise missed. The aspect of a community piecing together larger narrative hooks, both together, and independently has always been at the core of what I love about Halo, and I'm optimistic that Infinite will have a whole lot of opportunities for that.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Not much but Gameinfomer teased abit during their Ori stream.

"I know of things that will melt peoples minds" is probably one of the broadest statements that somebody could make.

At least this kinda tells us that 343i is talking to people about the game and that certain people already know something, so thanks for sharing.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
"I know of things that will melt peoples minds" is probably one of the broadest statements that somebody could make.

At least this kinda tells us that 343i is talking to people about the game and that certain people already know something, so thanks for sharing.

I know I shouldn't get excited by such comments, but goddamn I'm hyped anyway.

38:44, the youtube link sends you there directly!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
People will cheat regardless.

People won't cheat to bypass the ranking system if the ranking system works for them.
People didn't understand the ranking system and that it was designed to plateau, it's why later games didn't make that visible. The issue with "new accounts" was far less apparent in reach,4 and 5

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Infinite need to nail the campaign this time & keep it going with DLC.

Get rid of Warzone and concentrate on making Big Team Battle amazing.

Go away from the industrial look of Slayer maps, make better maps and plenty of them.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I hope big +20-30h campaign with a lot of replayability.

343i must exploit the Halo universe in long and wide.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
People won't cheat to bypass the ranking system if the ranking system works for them.
People didn't understand the ranking system and that it was designed to plateau, it's why later games didn't make that visible. The issue with "new accounts" was far less apparent in reach,4 and 5
Mainly because 2 month trials don't exist these days. Still I would take he ranking system along with its cheating and account boosting over anything in the later games because it was much more engaging.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I hope big +20-30h campaign with a lot of replayability.

343i must exploit the Halo universe in long and wide.

You're only gonna get a 30 hour campaign if the game is indeed open-worldesque like people are guessing. What was the last linear FPS with a 30 hour campaign?

Get rid of Warzone and concentrate on making Big Team Battle amazing.

Why would they get rid of Warzone? The mode is a fine idea. They just need to find a way to keep it feeling fresh over time.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Mainly because 2 month trials don't exist these days. Still I would take he ranking system along with its cheating and account boosting over anything in the later games because it was much more engaging.

you don't need a two month trial anymore... you can just make a new account on the same machine as an account with gold. It's even easier and than back in Halo2/3 days

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
You're only gonna get a 30 hour campaign if the game is indeed open-worldesque like people are guessing. What was the last linear FPS with a 30 hour campaign?

Why would they get rid of Warzone? The mode is a fine idea. They just need to find a way to keep it feeling fresh over time.
I feel it took away from BTB and I don't think it was as good, initially there may not be room for both.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Gameinformer got Halo 5 coverage in July, though article was out in June a week or so before E3.

God that was an exciting, but ultimately painfully misleading article. Revealed the Squad commands and made them sound way more promising than they actually were; suggested there multiple routes and ways to tackle objectives in levels (lol); claimed they were launching with over 20 multiplayer maps, when in reality this included forged maps and remixes; 15 maps of free DLC (one of the few things they actually pulled through on), and teased Warzone. Hope 343i is more candid this go around.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Gameinformer got Halo 5 coverage in July, though article was out in June a week or so before E3.

God that was an exciting, but ultimately misleading article. Revealed the Squad commands (made them sound way more promising than they actually were), multiple routes and ways to tackle objectives in levels (lol), launching with over 20 multiplayer maps (when in reality this included forged maps and remixes), 15 maps of free DLC (one of the few things they actually pulled through on), and teased Warzone. Hope 343i is more candid this go around.
Why lol?

The way they described the levels was completely accurate. Halo 5 is filled to the brim with sneaky routes, flanking options and varying vantage points etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.