• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Doubtful Gravemind will see a return when they just killed a proto-Gravemind in Halo Wars 2.
installation 07 could have a Gravemind hiding.

My theory for Infinite is that Cortana is really just the new Mendicant Bias, and is actually controlled by the Flood already.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
i sware to god, as unhappy as i am with halo 5's story, they had better not just wrap up the evil cortana arc like they did didact. the made their bed, time to get as much enjoyment out of it as possible (and i think there are a LOT of interesting places this could go!)

Killing off the Didact at the end of Halo 4 was absurd. You've got an actual, living Forerunner - and a high-ranking one at that - and you just kill him off after never really exploring him as a character? Such a waste, lore-wise. (and yes, I know he technically sorta survived in the comics and got expanded on more there).

There are things I really liked about Halo 4's story, but it never does enough with what it sets up, and then Halo 5 pretty much abandons all of it, in favour of "The Greatest Hunt in Gaming History", as I believe the trailers called it.

As for Cortana - I don't want them to just tie it off as quickly as they can and move on, but I don't see many interesting directions they can go with it. I'd guess either she gets "fixed" by that new AI chip in the trailer, or another fragment of her became's Chief's new AI while the crazy one gets "killed".

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Biggest obstacle to Atriox/Banished in Halo Infinite, is... Halo Wars 2. Would they make the antagonist in their massive new next-gen push for Halo, a villain from their lesser known RTS spin-off games? I'm dubious.

And there's also the expectation that Halo Infinite is going to be focused on concluding the current arc from Halo 4 and 5, since that's an elephant in the room they can't really ignore.

Maybe Atriox could become the new "big bad" after the Evil Cortana junk is tied off - hopefully with her "death"
I think all you need is a reintroduction to the Brutes and have characters hype up the Banished as stronger than the Covenant alone.

I can see them either being a third "screw everyone" faction that will fight everyone for the Halo or they and Cortana form some sort of partnership as a bid to get rid of the eventual Flood return.

I think there can be a 3 way type arc to Infinite if they have 3 enemy leaders. Atriox to represent the new "Covenant", a human Insurrection leader, and Cortana for a revamped Promethean/Created side.

I really want Infinite's story to be like Halo 1 where we are placed into the middle of a war that has been going on and Chief just explores the ring and goes through a bunch of twists and turns.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
I just pray that 343 stops to hide important lore behind Terminals (!) and that these Clips are part of the game and not streamed via Waypoint (!!). IMO those decisions did a great disservice especially to Halo 4.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i sware to god, as unhappy as i am with halo 5's story, they had better not just wrap up the evil cortana arc like they did didact. the made their bed, time to get as much enjoyment out of it as possible (and i think there are a LOT of interesting places this could go!)

Given the trailer had "we lost" I feel like that whole arc is getting skipped big time with Infinite.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Is it pretty much a given that Blue Team won't be featured in Halo Infinite like they were in Halo 5? Such wasted potential, they really didn't develop Blue Team well in their first videogame appearance.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Is it pretty much a given that Blue Team won't be featured in Halo Infinite like they were in Halo 5? Such wasted potential, they really didn't develop Blue Team well in their first videogame appearance.
I mean, it's impossible to tell. Last time we saw them was on Halo: Bad Blood aboard the UNSC Infinity after being rescued from Sangheilios. So they're still around. Probably not protagonists, but I think we'll see them or hear from them at one point during the story. The same goes for Osiris.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Well, to keep discussion going, I will dump some random wish list I've been thinking:
  • I hope we get silencers in the campaign. Halo 5 had a ton, but they were for Warzone only and kind of a gimmick. I want to add a silencer to my assault rifle and be able to stealth a little, if I so choose.
  • I really want my customized Spartan to be present outside of multiplayer as well. Maybe a hub area, or even missions similar to what Spartan Ops offered / firefight.
  • I hope Osiris doesn't get the boot. I really liked them, all of them. Especially Vale and Locke. I want to see them again, even if briefly. They are still stationed at Infinity, so it wouldn't make practical sense to ditch them.
  • I hope they don't abandon the Guardians. They were cool. Could've been better, for sure, but I think that's what Infinite's for. To make things better.
  • Since this is Installation 07 (most likely) I want to visit the Palace of Pain that was described in the Forerunner books.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
- Skill specialties in game that branch out like weapon specialties, movement mechanics and defense bonuses.
- Vehicle specialties and bonuses
- Open world traversal and combat
- Side missions
- Interesting enemies like the Covenant were

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Well, to keep discussion going, I will dump some random wish list I've been thinking:
  • I hope we get silencers in the campaign. Halo 5 had a ton, but they were for Warzone only and kind of a gimmick. I want to add a silencer to my assault rifle and be able to stealth a little, if I so choose.
  • I really want my customized Spartan to be present outside of multiplayer as well. Maybe a hub area, or even missions similar to what Spartan Ops offered / firefight.
  • I hope Osiris doesn't get the boot. I really liked them, all of them. Especially Vale and Locke. I want to see them again, even if briefly. They are still stationed at Infinity, so it wouldn't make practical sense to ditch them.
  • I hope they don't abandon the Guardians. They were cool. Could've been better, for sure, but I think that's what Infinite's for. To make things better.
  • Since this is Installation 07 (most likely) I want to visit the Palace of Pain that was described in the Forerunner books.

How I know you're a cop: brought up Osiris - didn't mention Buck.

JK, you're free to enjoy what you want 😉

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
How I know you're a cop: brought up Osiris - didn't mention Buck.

JK, you're free to enjoy what you want 😉
Hahaha, he was actually my fav, but
In Halo: Bad Blood (post-Halo 5), Buck relinquishes his position at Osiris to work again as leader of his own squad. So unless they revert that, he's technically not in Osiris anymore. He even has a kind of warm-felt conversation with Locke about it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else want less helmet, goggle screen or do you you like that aspect?

th

I would much rather have more or less all of the screen and standard simple UI, hope there is more custom options to remove a lot too. You can still have subtle effects to show you wearing one but not plant a big frame around the screen.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

th

I would much rather have more or less all of the screen and standard simple UI, hope there is more custom options to remove a lot too. You can still have subtle effects to show you wearing one but not plant a big frame around the screen.

must something I was rarely aware of whilst playing. I imagine it will stay, as it suits VRS well

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
We've already seen the HUD for Infinite and it thankfully doesn't feature the black outlines.

hi_e319_twtr_excitedpilot-cd718c1d69d24801963423887f51fbc5.gif

Hope it stays that way. I prefer clarity over "immersion".

I just pray that 343 stops to hide important lore behind Terminals (!) and that these Clips are part of the game and not streamed via Waypoint (!!). IMO those decisions did a great disservice especially to Halo 4.

I agree, but the question is if Infinite will even have Terminals. They might do Halo 5 collectibles again.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017

th

I think it might have been done for performance reasons to literally save on pixels, but I always found the black helmet most egregious. If it was for purely stylistic reasons then holy hell stahp. My tv screen / monitor is already my 'window' into the helmet of my character, adding a second layer feels claustrophobic.

Much like most things about the Discover Hope trailer, the HUD clarity was perfect.

The amount of visual noise in 5 is super jarring after coming from the clarity of earlier Halo games.

Dec 20, 2017

Options always. I think it's kinda cool in single player, but it doesn't add into my experience in multi.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

The games always had lore hidden behind terminals.
343i has acknowledged that the clips being in waypoint were not great for the feel of the game- especially when you couldn't watch them without quitting the game.
I suppose that in the 360 era, disc space was a concern and there is now "unlimited" space , simply via that pack coming in as an optional update pack.
COD modern warfare highlights this well, the game is broken up into various packages which you download , MCC also does this really well by downloading the bits you will need as you are playing

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
The games always had lore hidden behind terminals.

That I know, but in case of Halo 4 it was crucial info that was needed to actually understand what was going on in the Forerunner-Ancient Human war, and what the Didacts deal was. And you can not expect more casual players to be aware of that and going out of their way to actually find those Terminals. I take every bet that Halo 4's Campaign and the overall story would have been better perceived and reviewed if those story bits would have been put right into the center rather than hiding them away so only the more hardcore fans get to experience them

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
What happened with that leak that suggested there would be a grappling hook? Seem like Frank did a not-not confirmation?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Please no.

RPG mechanics suck ass

I'm not talking about attributes, rather having focuses like better accuracy, recoil etc for your favourite weapons. How else would you add progression to the campaign, especially if they want to do this semi open world design. It's going to be dry as hell otherwise.

And RPG mechanics are great when done right. They're practically in every genre now for a reason.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We've already seen the HUD for Infinite and it thankfully doesn't feature the black outlines.

Well, remains to be seen I think. Halo 5 is very clear for a moment after a cut scene then boom, helmet view. However, art style etc. Maybe 343 are going for clarity across the board, fingers crossed.

I think Frankie or someone said the helmet view in Halo 5 isn't a performance thing, makes sense I guess since it's not equal space around the whole image being put behind it but I'm no graphics designer. Field of view is what gets them gains if they need it, that's one area I hope they don't cave on, not the best in Halo 3.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I think Frankie or someone said the helmet view in Halo 5 isn't a performance thing, makes sense I guess since it's not equal space around the whole image being put behind it but I'm no graphics designer. Field of view is what gets them gains if they need it, that's one area I hope they don't cave on, not the best in Halo 3.

hadnt thought about it before reading your post, but i wonder if FOV will be another way 343 stretches their legs with the series x version (or, conversely, squeezes the game on the one x)

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I think all you need is a reintroduction to the Brutes and have characters hype up the Banished as stronger than the Covenant alone.

I can see them either being a third "screw everyone" faction that will fight everyone for the Halo or they and Cortana form some sort of partnership as a bid to get rid of the eventual Flood return.

I think there can be a 3 way type arc to Infinite if they have 3 enemy leaders. Atriox to represent the new "Covenant", a human Insurrection leader, and Cortana for a revamped Promethean/Created side.

I really want Infinite's story to be like Halo 1 where we are placed into the middle of a war that has been going on and Chief just explores the ring and goes through a bunch of twists and turns.
This would be my perfect Halo Infinite

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The resolution scaling will probably do the heavy lifting like before but who knows, would be nice if the series X got a field of view boost.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
All I know is if Mendicant Bias doesn't feature pretty heavily in Halo Infinite at some point, they failed.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i think it was Klobrille that suggested that a large, open(ish) world would need sprint so that players don't get frustrated. but, how would y'all feel about the return of an indestructible warthog, at least for campaign?

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
i think it was Klobrille that suggested that a large, open(ish) world would need sprint so that players don't get frustrated. but, how would y'all feel about the return of an indestructible warthog, at least for campaign?

I think the Pelican guy will be your fast travel system, and you'll have one warthog that you'll have to maintain, can add armour too, carry weapons and gear on. So those RPG lite elements will revolve around your Hog.

At least, I'd like that.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
My dream is still that Halo Infinite is an "open world" with both open-world levels and discrete, linear ones. And the "open world" in this case is just... Zeta Halo.

You can call the pelican flown by Beard Guy, and have him seamlessly pick up and drop you off all along the ring. Different biomes, different wildlife, forests, lakes - all of it. You could maybe have small transitional sections to hide the loads between areas if necessary, kinda like Destiny does. In the first teaser trailer, we saw lakes, and grasslands, and desert so... maybe?

A personal warthog you can store armaments and stuff on would be cool too. Maybe Beard Guy can even be called to drop it off with the Pelican.

Give MC a variety of tools like the grapple hook to navigate tougher terrain, and make the ring worth exploring aside from missions. Zeta Halo is a pretty lore-rich setting, so there's tons of things you could put there.

Of course, then I remember this game comes out on Xbox One too, and my dreams start to dissolve a little.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I think this concept art says more than it doesn't.

1bgvi7jxlxj11.jpg

most concept art does!

we already know that the pelican pilot (does he have a name yet?), and very likely his pelican (duh), will play a large role in infinite. but give me a hog that cant be destroyed ala CE as my main means of exploring at the ground scale

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that the Mongoose was specifically designed for fast transportation. I'm not entirely against sprint (keep it as an option that can be enabled/disabled in multiplayer) but it does make vehicles like the mongoose redundant.

Also, don't make unrealistic predictions from concept art, remember Halo 4's?

halo4conceptart9_2500x1000.jpg

And yet it was heavily linear. The series is 18 years old and Halo 1 still has the overall most playable campaign space.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Not really noteworthy, but here is the latest bi-weekly field recording:

Well, remains to be seen I think. Halo 5 is very clear for a moment after a cut scene then boom, helmet view. However, art style etc. Maybe 343 are going for clarity across the board, fingers crossed.

More visual clarity would be appreciated.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States

I agree, but the question is if Infinite will even have Terminals. They might do Halo 5 collectibles again.

I love how clean Infinite's fidelity and art style looks. A proper blend of original Halo aesthetic with modern level of detail — perfection, in other words.

To your other point, I liked the insane amount (117!) of intel pieces that developed the world of Halo 5. I want more collectibles in Halo Infinite, though. Terminals, skulls, easter eggs, intel, bandit camps, etc. I live for that kind of stuff.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that the Mongoose was specifically designed for fast transportation. I'm not entirely against sprint (keep it as an option that can be enabled/disabled in multiplayer) but it does make vehicles like the mongoose redundant.

And yet it was heavily linear. The series is 18 years old and Halo 1 still has the overall most playable campaign space.

This scene was in Halo 4, though. Granted you couldn't traverse it, but it was absolutely incredible imo.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

that's in level 2

Oct 25, 2017
I mean open world exploring the entire Halo Ring or in this case open-sections sounds mixed in with traditional level design sounds great. However I'm gonna guess it's the former modelling Far Cry as an inspiration especially with the grappling hook leak which I will bet a pretty penny will work exactly like it does in Far Cry 4.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I mean open world exploring the entire Halo Ring or in this case open-sections sounds mixed in with traditional level design sounds great. However I'm gonna guess it's the former modelling Far Cry as an inspiration especially with the grappling hook leak which I will bet a pretty penny will work exactly like it does in Far Cry 4.
That's what I think too. My only hope is that if the game truly is open-ended and progression-based, you can replay levels regardless. GTA V does it like that and I think that's the right approach to open world missions.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any info leaks besides the grapple one? I can't believe it's gonna be 5 years since halo 5. I'm ready for that halo hype.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Has there been any info leaks besides the grapple one? I can't believe it's gonna be 5 years since halo 5. I'm ready for that halo hype.
Nope, nothing as far as I'm aware. It's hard to believe it will be over five years from the last mainline Halo game when Infinite launches. I can remember Halo 5's launch so vividly. Many people disagree but I think it was a great title.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, nothing as far as I'm aware. It's hard to believe it will be over five years from the last mainline Halo game when Infinite launches. I can remember Halo 5's launch so vividly. Many people disagree but I think it was a great title.
Ya same. The campaign was decent but I loved the MP. Just needed more time and better looking maps. The maps were pretty good but I didn't Ike the look of them. BTB should've been ready and polished at launch though

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Ya same. The campaign was decent but I loved the MP. Just needed more time and better looking maps. The maps were pretty good but I didn't Ike the look of them. BTB should've been ready and polished at launch though
I agree with just about everything you said. Come to think of it, Halo 5 currently has the biggest and most varied sandbox of any Halo game. I hope they implement some of the most unique (if not all) of the REQ vehicle/weapon variants into Infinite's campaign. It's an impressive variety.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Halo Channel has been updated since like 2016, I think 343 gave up on doing their own app. People generally like the animated terminals, hopefully if they do them again they are in the game itself and don't have any required info.
The resolution scaling will probably do the heavy lifting like before but who knows, would be nice if the series X got a field of view boost.
For the sake of cross play the Series X will probably have the same FOV.

Status
Not open for further replies.