• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
People already suspect the Halo 5 Mythic arena playlist could be testing the water for Infinite, I love that it also came out in December and ran until January, much like another beta we're comparing.

Didn't nok debunk that? Pretty sure he said it was just settings the forge group came up with, no direction from 343. NOKYARD ?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I think the lack of gameplay shown and any advertising at all really is due to all the criticisms on Halo 5 having "false advertising".

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I think the lack of gameplay shown and any advertising at all really is due to all the criticisms on Halo 5 having "false advertising".
I think the lack of gameplay is almost certainly due to the lack of a full blown reveal for the XSX.

I imagine we'll get lots of gameplay when we start getting more XSX details.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I stand by what I said last E3 in that they won't show anything new for Infinite until they're ready to show off Series X, which will most likely be this upcoming E3. Also, it's more story content that was "falsely" advertised with 5, which I don't think will be an issue this time around because of their lighter approach to the story.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
We are 10 months away. Usually those "beta's happen a month or so before launch.

Halo 5 has closed and private betas 9 or 10 months score launch.

Halo 3 which basically invented/popularised the idea of a multiplayer beta had it's one in May, the game released in late September.
It was announced much earlier as it came included with Crackdown, which released in feb/March

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Everything in Halo Infinite will be transparent including Master Chief himself in order to demonstrate complete transparency to the player at a revolutionary level.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
There have been other statements by local insiders that have pointed towards Halo: Infinite having a rough development cycle.

(Then again, most Halo games have had rough develop cycles).
All I've seen is people saying insiders have said this without seeing the actual comments from said insiders.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite, pubg, apex. Call of duty, battlefield, battlefront, gears of war, siege too I think.

I wouldn't count doom 2016 as a big multiplayer shooter at all.

If you think Halo should have Sprint in it because other games have it, and not for any other compelling design reason, I don't know that you'd actually care how Halo turned out either way. The popularity of games without it means that it's not a requirement for shooters to be successful in 2020. Don't be obtuse.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
New engine, new hardware, likely a new xbox platform, xCloud and more all point to quite a development window for Infinite. I would say expected though.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
If you think Halo should have Sprint in it because other games have it, and not for any other compelling design reason, I don't know that you'd actually care how Halo turned out either way. The popularity of games without it means that it's not a requirement for shooters to be successful in 2020. Don't be obtuse.
Don't start name calling.

it is clear that most players like sprint . Of the 18 multiplayer shooters in the top 50 most played games on Xbox live in the US the only one that doesn't have sprint is overwatch. And even that game has plenty of advanced movement.

Gamers vote with their money and they vote with their time. They consistently vote for games that have sprint.

Halo infinite must either have sprint or advanced movement to be popular. It can not return to halo 1-3 style no sprint and no advanced movement. That style of shooters isn't popular anymore.

That style isn't even popular among halo fans anymore. 343 said in 2017 the most popular game in mcc was halo 4. If halo fans wanted to play no sprint so badly mcc would be charting but it isn't.

I personally couldn't care less if sprint is in the game or not. But I like the sliding/ thruster. Grappling hook is intriguing to me.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
4ui17xhes4e41.jpg

Jason liking this tweet has me worried, but unless he says something directly, I'm not gonna get too worried

Still, all the big departures and whatnot has me wary

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Halo Infinite is having problematic development, I don't think they should rush it out to hit the Fall 2020 XSX launch, even if it has been in development for ages already.

Halo is Microsoft's biggest exclusive IP, and I think a new Halo that misses the mark or is critically lacklustre, could have really negative mind share, branding and marketing ramifications for not just Halo, but Microsoft's move to the next gen and the perception of their potential output in general, especially if the competition is releasing huge critically acclaimed exclusives in the same year.

That said, I'm still fairly confident Halo Infinite could be something quite special. It's been in the cooker for an uncharacteristically long time, had an entirely new engine developed for it, and we've heard it's a re-boot of sorts, hence could be really ambitious. The only negative for me is that it's cross-gen, but that doesn't mean it can't still be really impressive on the XSX, especially if they don't prioritise the Xbox One version much.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Yes, delay it if it needs it.
I want them to make a game that will rejuvinate the series and be special, not another flawed disappointment.

People might think I am some 343 hater but I want them to succeed and I want to love their Halo content.

Don't envy the task at all, and how difficult it seems to know how well a game is coming together.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And yet those fans are consistently playing Halo 5 more than classic fans are playing MCC. So from a business perspective it makes more sense to keep sprint in.
Where are you getting this from?
I think the lack of gameplay is almost certainly due to the lack of a full blown reveal for the XSX.

This is the safe assumption right now, regardless of what the truth actually is.

There's no way they're going to show Infinite gameplay before we've seen jack diddly squat of the Series X. And they're definitely not going to reveal Infinite with the Xbox One version.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Right, and not just that, but if Halo Infinite is essentially going to be a marketing poster child for the XSX of sorts, it can't have a half assed initial gameplay showing, or a showing that demos an unpolished or unfinished segment of the game that could be deemed as unflattering.

Such a showing could diminish or impact the hype for both the game and interest in or perception of the next gen system, so it's not too surprising Microsoft would wait to properly show it not just alongside an XSX news or marketing blowout, but also when it's super polished and looking nearest to how it will in its retail form.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
If Halo Infinite is having problematic development, I don't think they should rush it out to hit the Fall 2020 XSX launch, even if it has been in development for ages already.

Halo is Microsoft's biggest exclusive IP, and I think a new Halo that misses the mark or is critically lacklustre, could have really negative mind share, branding and marketing ramifications for not just Halo, but Microsoft's move to the next gen and the perception of their potential output in general, especially if the competition is releasing huge critically acclaimed exclusives in the same year.

That said, I'm still fairly confident Halo Infinite could be something quite special. It's been in the cooker for an uncharacteristically long time, had an entirely new engine developed for it, and we've heard it's a re-boot of sorts, hence could be really ambitious. The only negative for me is that it's cross-gen, but that doesn't mean it can't still be really impressive on the XSX, especially if they don't prioritise the Xbox One version much.
If there are issues with infinite, that's fine I can live with it. But if I have to hear later that the game got rushed to hit the xsx launch yes I will be pissed.

Feb 23, 2018
I rember an 343 employee heavily hinting at the start of flighting for late 2019 on Twitter.

As others have pointed out: It will be flighting on a very small scale that will kick things off. There will be different stages of expanded flighting until we'll see a 'Beta' on a large scale.

I guess a lot of people hoped that with a 5 year dev cycle there would be at least one year of extensive fine-tuning.
That fits perfectly with 343's own messaging that basically says that they want the community to have an unparalleled impact on development and the future course of the game.

So yeah I am worried. I'm worried because this absolute silence is the antithesis of transparency and community involvement.

Even if I myself wouldn't be able to participate in some kind of Beta for a long time... knowing that at least a small elite flighting is taking place would ease my mind.

For every employee that hinted at "something special' we had rumors of troubled dev (Matt) and personnel turmoil. After such an exhausting long wait that just feels awful.
ANY sign of confidence would help.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope we see flighting start up within the next couple months. 343 has talked a lot about wanting to be agile with response to player feedback, this needs to start now so that the necessary changes or additions can be made before launch. Chris Lee mentioned early flighting in a blog post after E3 2018; it's been nearly two years and I'm thirsty.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
thrust still isn't sprint and Doom Eternal doesn't even have MP. Overwatch has one sprint character out of over 30 who's whole gimmick is being generic CoD guy. I also expect Riot's CSGO clone to not have sprint, at least not on every hero.

Sprint in Halo is a poor solution to a perceived problem in old Halo - That it's slow. This is remedied with good map design, wide FoV, and upping the base movement speed. You don't have to change what makes Halo Halo in order to have the timmies who don't actually know what they want happy.
Fucking amen. Not to mention it nerfs movement and gameplay from the previous non sprint titles.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do hope we see flighting start up within the next couple months. 343 has talked a lot about wanting to be agile with response to player feedback, this needs to start now so that the necessary changes or additions can be made before launch. Chris Lee mentioned early flighting in a blog post after E3 2018; it's been nearly two years and I'm thirsty.

This late in the game I fully expect things like weapon tuning or basic map elements receiving small adjustments. There will be no major mode or map geometry changes etc. It's small iterative stuff this late in the game, nothing akin to players help shaping the development perspective. This is likely a very good thing, just let the developers and designers do their thing first.

After all every single Halo title has catered to the Arena hardcore with Halo 5 receiving the largest resources investment by far. I'd like to see that for the core elements of the game then it literally left out of the conversation for other modes and maps or concepts. The walling off so to speak. Hopefully they alter Halo away from this idea that MLG/esports = Halo, it is but one aspect of it, albeit a large segment that could use less dominance of developer focus and matchmaking allocations.

Apex, Fortnite, Destiny...what do they all have in common? Stepping away from that esports razor focus when they develop the game their way. They all cater to that audience but allow the audience to dictate design or development. I expect the flights/betas to be well down that path of what 343's vision for Halo this time around. I also expect the level of impact from player feedback will be quite minimal at best. Perhaps 3-12 months post launch but overall they're not going to alter entire modes or sandboxes or maps based on flighting. Flights and betas are network testing and sustain planning at best.

I'd be interested in a developer including the audience in the process, sort of like Steam early access some 2 years in advance but with a massive team. Perhaps that is the development hell Star Citizen heralds.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This late in the game I fully expect things like weapon tuning or basic map elements receiving small adjustments. There will be no major mode or map geometry changes etc. It's small iterative stuff this late in the game, nothing akin to players help shaping the development perspective. This is likely a very good thing, just let the developers and designers do their thing first.

After all every single Halo title has catered to the Arena hardcore with Halo 5 receiving the largest resources investment by far. I'd like to see that for the core elements of the game then it literally left out of the conversation for other modes and maps or concepts. The walling off so to speak. Hopefully they alter Halo away from this idea that MLG/esports = Halo, it is but one aspect of it, albeit a large segment that could use less dominance of developer focus and matchmaking allocations.

Apex, Fortnite, Destiny...what do they all have in common? Stepping away from that esports razor focus when they develop the game their way. They all cater to that audience but allow the audience to dictate design or development. I expect the flights/betas to be well down that path of what 343's vision for Halo this time around. I also expect the level of impact from player feedback will be quite minimal at best. Perhaps 3-12 months post launch but overall they're not going to alter entire modes or sandboxes or maps based on flighting. Flights and betas are network testing and sustain planning at best.

I'd be interested in a developer including the audience in the process, sort of like Steam early access some 2 years in advance but with a massive team. Perhaps that is the development hell Star Citizen heralds.

Those are certainly good points. But to be fair, I'm only hoping for what the Studio Head, himself, stated their goal was 2 years ago: "In the future, you will be able to join early flighting programs that will let members of the community play the game with us, and give direct feedback"

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017

Halo 5 was the only game designed around hardcore competitive gameplay. All previous Halo games were geared more to the casual. Just look how different mlg settings were from the core in Halo 2, Halo 3 and Reach.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Soon after E3 passes I bet many many people will be playing infinite

They just won't be able to tell you about it

Not based on past experiences, just a guess

I'm not worried, yet. They want it to be a shining next gen example, having someone beta test it on a garbage can of Xbox one won't be good for optics

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I'd love for them to debut an in engine XSX gameplay/story trailer tonight. My brain says Xbox being there is just going to be some Madden thing I don't give a damn about. My heart hopes for Halo.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those are certainly good points. But to be fair, I'm only hoping for what the Studio Head, himself, stated their goal was 2 years ago: "In the future, you will be able to join early flighting programs that will let members of the community play the game with us, and give direct feedback"

More than a fair expectation mate.

EDIT: I'd also like to see small areas of development be introduced at the conceptual phase completely by the community. Essentially something like imagine a Warzone or Arena map and/mode coming from the community/contest that ends up with the full process of design and development ending with release to the public in matchmaking/campaign/PvE. Why not run a contest for one of each type of content? If mods, Minecraft and similar taught us anything it's that the community have some hella unique ideas and talents/dedication to deliver rare gems. Let the studio curate that in a map or mode while keeping their own design and development basically untouched.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
If you look at everything, all the things they released, it seems fairly likely that we are going to see an open world halo game. Idk how that manifests itself but. It seems like a sure bet

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you look at everything, all the things they released, it seems fairly likely that we are going to see an open world halo game. Idk how that manifests itself but. It seems like a sure bet

Nothing is a sure bet with Halo.

I remember 343i were stating that Halo 4 was going to be inspired by Halo 1 heavily and what we ended up getting was an extremely linear campaign with all the sense of mystery being relied on by external media or being lost midway through the short campaign.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

I remember 343i were stating that Halo 4 was going to be inspired by Halo 1 heavily and what we ended up getting was an extremely linear campaign with all the sense of mystery being relied on by external media or being lost midway through the short campaign.

InChrisLeeWeTrust

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019

That's hard to argue

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the halo beta to launch same day E3, and for it to get announced, with beta available now, June-July for testing

Not sure if you are aware, but 343i's Flighting Program isn't your typical Beta, so it's not just running for a month. They are pretty much testing sessions and they said that they will start small and slowly expand out until release.

You need to sign up for it to get a chance at participating: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/halo-insider

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Infinite lose its original creative director along with with a couple of other key leads in high places? I remember 343 did damage control on the Halo subreddit saying how they're involvement in the game had been completed and reduced to minimal, but the same shit was said when Mass Effect Andromeda lost its leads and that game turned into a shit show. Not to mention a new engine and a primere showcase for the new Xbox with all the bells and whistles while also being on the Xbox One, sounds like immense corporate and technological pressure. Not saying they won't hit the mark, but Halo 5 was a huge buststorywise at least in a series that used to define the first person campaign and this series needs a homerun. Not mention couple that with this Halo having the longest development time since Combat Evolved, I'm a bit worried.

Then again the new God of War had horrific development cycle especially coming off the shoulders of a cancelled new IP they worked on for 3 years, and devs with their backs against the walls can sometimes produce magic. However, I don't expect moon.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Even if I get nothing, the anticipation at least of something halo during the game is pretty nostalgic for me.

I just told my wife a few minutes ago

"Like, I know for a fact we aren't getting one, but if there is a Halo commercial tonight I'm going to cry"

lol. I made a post in our OT about it actually, man Starry Night is the best ever

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't Infinite lose its original creative director along with with a couple of other key leads in high places? I remember 343 did damage control on the Halo subreddit saying how they're involvement in the game had been completed and reduced to minimal, but the same shit was said when Mass Effect Andromeda lost its leads and that game turned into a shit show. Not to mention a new engine and a primere showcase for the new Xbox with all the bells and whistles while also being on the Xbox One, sounds like immense corporate and technological pressure. Not saying they won't hit the mark, but Halo 5 was a huge buststorywise at least in a series that used to define the first person campaign and this series needs a homerun. Not mention couple that with this Halo having the longest development time since Combat Evolved, I'm a bit worried.

Then again the new God of War had horrific development cycle especially coming off the shoulders of a cancelled new IP they worked on for 3 years, and devs with their backs against the walls can sometimes produce magic. However, I don't expect moon.

I would say that 343i has more pedigree that the BioWare team that did ME:A.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
I mean maybe flighting has already started with a selected few and we only haven't heard anything because of NDA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.