• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Whoa, that was incredible. Felt new and nostalgic at the same time, what a perfect blend of themes.

Continuing the tradition of amazing music in Halo games.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone. As I mention in the interview we're exploring both old and new and this is really a tiny indicator of it. Production on the music is ongoing, we are lucky to not have been affected by covid-19 too much as several studios / recording session orchestras including the ones we use have been able to figure out socially distant recording and the engineering required to capture it.

Knowing what's in the pipeline I'm pretty confident that people will be happy with the blend of old/new on the final soundtrack when the game's released. It's tough to capture everything we've done in one interview and one track but it's a lot of music between Curtis, Joel and myself!
Sounds awesome! You guys are killing it!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we'll finally see Marty's brilliant work being faithfully recaptured with this new Halo.

No offense to the Halo4/5 composers, the work was excellent but never felt like Halo. This does.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Thanks everyone. As I mention in the interview we're exploring both old and new and this is really a tiny indicator of it. Production on the music is ongoing, we are lucky to not have been affected by covid-19 too much as several studios / recording session orchestras including the ones we use have been able to figure out socially distant recording and the engineering required to capture it.

Knowing what's in the pipeline I'm pretty confident that people will be happy with the blend of old/new on the final soundtrack when the game's released. It's tough to capture everything we've done in one interview and one track but it's a lot of music between Curtis, Joel and myself!
music to my ears :P

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

Well I can say what we have heard so far has been an excellent blend of old and new.

Your work on Ori was amazing and I think the Halo community has every confidence that you and the other two composers will produce something special for when the game is released.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD

I got goosebumps listening to the track so you are doing something right. I love all of your work that I have listened to.

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
That track was so damn good. I love it! Getting Gareth to work on the music is a godsend. I absolutely love his work on Ori.

I can't wait to hear more.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Ori's music legitimately elevates the game to new heights, the ending of WotW with the music playing made me a little emotional, which isn't an easy feat, lol.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 Amazing keep it up!!

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That was great! Looking forward to hearing the music in-game!

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be a tall order for this new composer, but I look forward to hearing the new material when the game releases.
A tall order compared to what exactly?

The last great Halo OST was ODST, sorry Reach fans, and with Marty leaving with the rest of Bungie after Reach the series has failed to capture its identity musically.

Halo 4 OST has these huge highs, with deep drums and a definite electronica influence, but the duel composer setup created a really unbalanced feel that left more forgettable tracks then memorable, and then how the music was implemented and mixed in game made it all extremely forgettable.

Halo 5 OST is everything about Halo 4 but turned from somewhat memorable to completely forgettable

With Halo Infinite and Coker we are getting one of the best newcomers to game music who has proven he can do both subtle somber melancholic sets and big sweeping epic pieces both hallmarks of a Halo OST

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
As disappointed as I was with the gameplay preview, I will say the sound and music was top notch. This track is absolutely amazing.

tenor.gif

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Every Halo game has a good soundtrack. End of.

My personal Top 5 don't @ me

1. Halo 4 - Green and Blue
2. Halo CE - Halo / Halo 2 - MJOLNIR Mix
3. Halo CE - Under the cover of Night
4. Halo ODST - Deference for Darkness
5. Halo 4 - 117

I'm joking, you can @ me lol

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit those rolling, bassy undertones are sooooooooooooo fucking good. As cringe as that speech was, the music was definitely amazing. Looking forward to hearing more!

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

Thanks for the insight! Your Ori soundtracks are pretty much always in my rotation and I cannot wait to hear all your contributions to Halo, both epic and somber. It truly is a match made in heaven.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

Good stuff, man! The music was definitely a highlight of the entire showing. Were you behind the music for the 'become' trailer as well and any chance that might ever get officially released?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible. From 1:20 onwards it's pure hype that sends chills. At the very least the OST of this game will be awesome.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Not digging it. It's great music, but for me it's way too epic and grand.

-Mind you, my favorite Halo soundtrack is still Halo 1 (especially the ambient tracks) with 2 coming in as close second, so I'm probably not representative for the majority of Halo fans.-

Vico

Jan 3, 2018

Congrats and thank you for your work on Ori! I can't wait to see and hear the rest of the Halo soundtrack!

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't realize this had its own thread, I had commented on it elsewhere.

It's a great sounding track but of course leaning heavily on existing halo motifs. I'm much more interested in the original music the game will have. That's what will make or break the soundtrack. They can reinterpret existing Halo music well, but can they make some entirely fresh melodies that feel like they fit right in alongside these classic sounds? That's the real test, to add to the toybox rather than just playing in it. Hope to hear more soon!

I thought Halo 4 had really good music. While it wasn't going for the same intent as this music (it wasn't trying to fit in with classic Halo) it had some really fresh stuff that I found memorable. Strong style that is really underrated (probably because it was such a departure from stylistic expectations).

Unfortunately I can't really recall Halo 5's music too well. It didn't really stand out to me beyond a track or two, I'm going to need to give it another listen.
Here's a suggestion for somewhere to start:

One of the best tracks in the series.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
While I wasn't blown away by the demo, this music gives me goosebumps.

As a matter of fact, I'm more hyped now because of the music. Weird, but then again the music in Halo always was very prominent and important to me.

I remember, playing CE back in the days, when Truth and Reconcilliation kicked in. First time ever I really realised how much more awesome a game is with a fantastic OST.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Something I've noticed about Marty's Halo soundtracks since going back and relistening is that whilst they sound great in game they're really not a good listen on their own.

A lot of the tracks are just small atmospheric pieces slapped together with fade in/out cuts. Little effort seems to have been made to find tracks which fit together as well. Take Deference for Darkness for example:

youtu.be

Halo 3: ODST Disc 1 OST 04 Deference for Darkness

Halo 3: ODST Disc 1 OST/soundtrack 04 Deference for Darkness.The rest will come in a playlist.I don't own the rights for the music only the video.Stay tuned ...

The first 3 minutes have the absolutely fantastic and iconic ODST sound of the slow jazz piano. From 3 minutes onwards it cuts to this frankly awful bass driven sequence then the final minute is a somewhat creepy atmospheric section.

To Kill a Demon is another example - that has like 4 completely distinct sounding tracks which really don't flow together well at all.

Nov 2, 2017
youtu.be

Halo 3: ODST Disc 1 OST 04 Deference for Darkness

Halo 3: ODST Disc 1 OST/soundtrack 04 Deference for Darkness.The rest will come in a playlist.I don't own the rights for the music only the video.Stay tuned ...

The first 3 minutes have the absolutely fantastic and iconic ODST sound of the slow jazz piano. From 3 minutes onwards it cuts to this frankly awful bass driven sequence then the final minute is a somewhat creepy atmospheric section.

No way!! That's one of my favorite tracks in ODST, the drum and deep bass-y synth beats from Marty are to me the most iconic Halo music cues (even more so than the monks)

Gareth Coker

Composer
Verified
Jun 14, 2018
It's a great sounding track but of course leaning heavily on existing halo motifs. I'm much more interested in the original music the game will have. That's what will make or break the soundtrack. They can reinterpret existing Halo music well, but can they make some entirely fresh melodies that feel like they fit right in alongside these classic sounds? That's the real test, to add to the toybox rather than just playing in it. Hope to hear more soon!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. There'll be some sonic surprises for sure especially with the batch of stuff we just finished recording. As for this, we wanted to lead with something that showed our reinterpretations / extensions, but the journey the score takes you on will obviously become clearer once the game and OST is released. I really wish I could say more but I can't!

Jan 4, 2018
I don't think you'll be disappointed. There'll be some sonic surprises for sure especially with the batch of stuff we just finished recording. As for this, we wanted to lead with something that showed our reinterpretations / extensions, but the journey the score takes you on will obviously become clearer once the game and OST is released. I really wish I could say more but I can't!

Sounds exciting !

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I totally get leading with this for the fans since one of the tonal goals for the entire game overall appears to be a return to classic series feelings. I'll definitely be keeping a close ear on it once the game comes out and will likely be giving the OST a listen in isolation as well. Looking forward to sonic surprises!

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Always surprises me when an epic game dev comes in here and talks amongst us sorry bums lol