• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very good blend between old and new, music is very important in Halo and this seems like a return to the old days. Just hope they do some tweaks to the assault rifle sound.

Jan 4, 2018
It's going to be amazing !
And the last notes reminded me Ori so much.

I loved the Halo iconic theme with the drums we can hear in the 1 minute trailer too.
youtu.be

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Trailer

In Halo Infinite's campaign, the Master Chief returns when humanity's fate hangs in the balance to confront the most ruthless foe he's ever faced – the Banis...

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
This sounds really phenomenal

I'm hoping the demo was just a bad showing. It seems like they're bringing out the big guns elsewhere.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds more like Halo, but the new stuff in this track has a forgettable movie OST quality to it, the same issue 5 had. The only memorable stuff we've heard so far is just Marty's stuff reworked and that worries me a bit.

Jul 4, 2018
I love the Ori games and Gareth, he's going to be a fantastic addition

BUT I want to say:

E3 2019 (I assume scored by the Starbound composer) was quintessential Halo music, dizzying orchestral highs, subtle militaristic notes, it was like a giant Marty tribute.

Very anxious/excited to see how both of them work together.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
An interview with the composer as well:

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Infinite - Gareth Coker Sets A Fire In Your Heart

Meet the latest composer helping bring the world of Halo Infinite to life – Gareth Coker! Join us as Gareth shares insights into his process, working on Halo, creating Escharum's theme, and more! Plus, you don't want to miss this exclusive music track, "Set a Fire in Your Heart."
👏

This does feel closer to older Halo than the last 2 that's for sure.

They're both full of great halo style bangers even if they aim more towards feeling new

The music is honestly the most consistently amazing thing in halo.

Yeah nothing really bad to say about Halo music. Still listen to it sometimes.

Blue team is amazing

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
c65f1775a6c152947a2081ac72c0d885-1-3.gif

the game has hope
I fear for my life.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Nailed what they're going for. Excellent work.

Sidenote: Halo 4 and 5 have excellent soundtracks. I think the problem was I don't recall them in the game too much. Listening to it outside the game...that stuff was amazing.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Can't wait to hear some of the tracks that sound "different" from tradition Halo music. Reach, ODST, 4, and 5 delivered some goodies in that regard.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If there is one thing you can count on in a Halo Game. It's a fucking badass OST. That was always the one thing Bungie and 343i never cheaped out on

Jul 4, 2018

Sidenote: Halo 4 and 5 have excellent soundtracks. I think the problem was I don't recall them in the game too much. Listening to it outside the game...that stuff was amazing.

Jinnouchi was fantastic and I think did his job for that flavour of Halo.

Dont remember liking a single thing Davidge did, love Massive Attack tho!

One thing absolutely essential is that Halo needs those long droning ambience tracks that build tension/wonder, and both of those composers didnt do that. Whether it was down to music supervision or not.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great, but going off that tweet looks like we're gonna get drip fed music previews over the next couple weeks. I need multiplayer. 😩

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't realize this had its own thread, I had commented on it elsewhere.

It's a great sounding track but of course leaning heavily on existing halo motifs. I'm much more interested in the original music the game will have. That's what will make or break the soundtrack. They can reinterpret existing Halo music well, but can they make some entirely fresh melodies that feel like they fit right in alongside these classic sounds? That's the real test, to add to the toybox rather than just playing in it. Hope to hear more soon!

I thought Halo 4 had really good music. While it wasn't going for the same intent as this music (it wasn't trying to fit in with classic Halo) it had some really fresh stuff that I found memorable. Strong style that is really underrated (probably because it was such a departure from stylistic expectations).

Unfortunately I can't really recall Halo 5's music too well. It didn't really stand out to me beyond a track or two, I'm going to need to give it another listen.

Last edited:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Music sounds fine but I wish they'd just get Marty back. None of the composers have made original music that sounds like it belongs in Halo.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
This track is SO GOOD. Not gonna lie, the speech dragged a bit in my first viewing but the track made me come back again and again. Can't get enough of the Brute's rambling either at this point haha, that shit is hype!
The music was perfect during the demo. I have to check out more of this guys work!
Prepare to get your heartstrings pulled! His work on Ori is phenomenal.

Love all Halo OSTs and 4 and 5 are no exceptions. So much good stuff in those games (see some examples posted above). However, the mixing isn't always ideal unfortunately, so some tracks don't really get to shine in-game.

Gareth Coker

Composer
Verified
Jun 14, 2018
Thanks everyone. As I mention in the interview we're exploring both old and new and this is really a tiny indicator of it. Production on the music is ongoing, we are lucky to not have been affected by covid-19 too much as several studios / recording session orchestras including the ones we use have been able to figure out socially distant recording and the engineering required to capture it.

Knowing what's in the pipeline I'm pretty confident that people will be happy with the blend of old/new on the final soundtrack when the game's released. It's tough to capture everything we've done in one interview and one track but it's a lot of music between Curtis, Joel and myself!

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone. As I mention in the interview we're exploring both old and new and this is really a tiny indicator of it. Production on the music is ongoing, we are lucky to not have been affected by covid-19 too much as several studios / recording session orchestras including the ones we use have been able to figure out socially distant recording and the engineering required to capture it.

Knowing what's in the pipeline I'm pretty confident that people will be happy with the blend of old/new on the final soundtrack when the game's released. It's tough to capture everything we've done in one interview and one track but it's a lot of music between Curtis, Joel and myself!
Off to an excellent start. Definitely one of the most beautiful tracks I've heard since Halo 3's final Warthog run, possibly Overture from Reach.

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds great, I'm excited to hear more of the new stuff! So far so good! Thanks for popping in.

Jul 4, 2018

You are the man, saw your name announced for the production and I flipped.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I appreciate that 343 still emphasize the music so much, even if no one has quite recaptured Marty's magic. It's a legacy that should be honored, and H4 and 5 are still a cut above most other shooters.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Huge props, everything is sounding great so far!

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019

Excited to hear what you guys have been putting together. Your Ori stuff is wonderful. Congrats on getting the role.