• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a pretty shitty Halo player and I've never had a problem getting the free Capstone within a week (if I happened to care that week) or finishing the free events without using swaps. I don't see why anyone would care about getting more XP (it seems pointless at the moment). I didn't even know how to use a challenge swap or even know how they worked until like February. But I also genuinely enjoy playing the game.
Do you play outside of doing your weeklies and for cosmetics unlocks? Answer honestly, if so, how much?

Because if most of your play time is doing challenges for unlocks, that's exactly what I dislike about these systems and maybe you're fine with it, but I don't like having challenges for multiple freaking SWAT showing up lol or the many other poorly designed challenges 343 can't seem to move away from.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Do you play outside of doing your weeklies and for cosmetics unlocks? Answer honestly, if so, how much?

Because if most of your play time is doing challenges for unlocks, that's exactly what I dislike about these systems and maybe you're fine with it, but I don't like having challenges for multiple freaking SWAT showing up lol or the many other poorly designed challenges 343 can't seem to move away from.
The point is that you can simply go in and play whatever modes you want and so long as Halo is a game you enjoy playing regularly, you'll trip over the 100 tiers without any thought, effort, or deviation from your normal activities.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The point is that you can simply go in and play whatever modes you want and so long as Halo is a game you enjoy playing regularly, you'll trip over the 100 tiers without any thought, effort, or deviation from your normal activities.
The point is that I wasn't talking about that lol, as I've already stated.

Turn down Auto Defense Mode and read the conversations you jump into.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Weekly and Interference challenges all complete. Managed to get to level 51 (With some level boosts and double XPs). Hopefully that is the last LSS event for the season as I prefer team modes more.

Next Week there's the same LSS Event, so 10 more to do if you like the Weekly Capstone...

...And...

• Alpha Pack will be active July 19 - August 1, 2022.
Both the Interference and Alpha Pack event playlists consist of a single map and mode combination: the new Last Spartan Standing game mode on the new Big Team Battle (BTB) map, Breaker.

So...2.5 months until another 10 LSS Challenges for 2 weeks...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You're right they're not really any different if you have a single item you're interested in or your goal is to just collect everything - but I'd say that's not usually the case. People tend to have multiple things they're interested in or get distracted by new things.

Any system is largely going to consist of some sort of grind (need to keep those players hooked!), however, I think allowing the player a degree of choice in where to focus their grind makes for experience far less mundane than a passive drip feed of content.

My point is that both systems are similar- a time sink between you beginning to play and you acquiring the item(s) you want. The "agency" option typically means your time spent gets you just the items you want. The BP option means you get the items you want + everything else.

In either case, you know exactly what you need to do to get what you want. Not wanting everything you get out of the battle pass its no different, in practice, from grinding to save for what you do want.

Maybe it's because I'm more cynical about the
the industry, maybe it's because I don't really give a shit if people want to waste all their money buying cosmetics - But I honestly don't see the difference. At the end of the day the motives, methods and outcomes are all the same.

The motives are the same, the methods and outcomes are completely different. my Buddy was addicted to madden, he spent $60 and countless hours a year. Then came ultimate team and that $60/year turned into $thousands/year along with those countless hours. Its an immensely different method and outcome designed around the fact that there's comparatively no cap on gambling losses.

I'm sure similar things happened with Warzone players trying to ensure they have the best arsenal to take into battle. These are people with mental illnesses being taken to the cleaners by the stewards of my favorite IP. It doesn't sit well at all.

On a completely separate note - I quite like Catalyst. At first it's a bit… unintuitive, but it seems to be a pretty good CTF map. I like the verticality a lot, nice to see some more of that.

I like it too... some of the areas you can't access via jumping are weird... but it should make for some cool repulsor plays

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Probably 75% of my matches are Fiesta matches because I enjoy the chaos. So yeah, most of my play time is outside of doing weekly challenges. I do play other modes, though, and I like that the challenges steer me towards other modes that I may not play as often.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I really really hope after this next apology wave they get rid of mode challenges. I don't like Last Spartan Standing and I don't like being forced to play it just to progress. I don't like Halo FFA at all.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I really really hope after this next apology wave they get rid of mode challenges. I don't like Last Spartan Standing and I don't like being forced to play it just to progress. I don't like Halo FFA at all.
They're likely not getting rid of it. They use those mode challenges to get people to try things outside of their wheelhouse and incentivize that decision with some skins or banners or whatever. Like how do we get people to play Rumble Pit? Throw a green and gold skin at the end of ten tiers and have it Rumble Pit related. Maybe people like it, maybe they don't. If they can't live without the skin, they'll grind it out.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There were a few posts saying you can just do whatever and finish challenges, and that's rarely the case for me. I have to playlist hop constantly, play fiesta, play tac slayer, play quick play, FFA, etc. If you just want to get on and play a bunch of BTB you are very unlikely to make a dent, same with just playing ranked. It's so rigid that it dictates what you end up playing, even if the challenges individually aren't hard.

You can max the BP now without touching this stuff, but that's min-max in a different way. XP drops off a cliff after 5 matches so you need daily engagement--that's still ok, but keep in mind we are in DRASTICALLY extended seasons. This works for a full 100 tiers in a 6 month season, that is not how the game is meant to be. A normal 3 month season, entirely dictated by challenges, was the intended progression. Challenge swaps are a remnant of what they tried to do and it would have been awful. Them giving out swaps as game pass perks, forgiveness, whatever still shows they have "value" even if the whole thing feels bad to use. I would not readily assume nobody is buying them either since people spend money on all kinds of crap in F2P titles. First match of season 2 and I had a teammate with the brute shoulders already, some person out there really dropped ~$200 to instantly max a 6 month season pass. I do not doubt someone is buying the dumb swaps.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They're likely not getting rid of it. They use those mode challenges to get people to try things outside of their wheelhouse and incentivize that decision with some skins or banners or whatever. Like how do we get people to play Rumble Pit? Throw a green and gold skin at the end of ten tiers and have it Rumble Pit related. Maybe people like it, maybe they don't. If they can't live without the skin, they'll grind it out.
Separate event challenges from normal season challenges then. Point being let me play the game how I want to doing what's fun for me. If a mode is fun without you forcing it people will play it.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
First match of season 2 and I had a teammate with the brute shoulders already, some person out there really dropped ~$200 to instantly max a 6 month season pass. I do not doubt someone is buying the dumb swaps.
There's always a group of people who will spend any amount of money to skip instantly. Back when I was big on Warzone I'd watch streamers and on Day 1 of the Battle Pass they'd always just buy the whole thing outright and get it over with. I speculate that were it possible, I could probably make like $500-1,000 selling my Forza Horizon 5 file. There's always people out there with "fuck it, I don't want to wait or put effort into this" money.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
There were a few posts saying you can just do whatever and finish challenges, and that's rarely the case for me. I have to playlist hop constantly, play fiesta, play tac slayer, play quick play, FFA, etc. If you just want to get on and play a bunch of BTB you are very unlikely to make a dent, same with just playing ranked. It's so rigid that it dictates what you end up playing, even if the challenges individually aren't hard.

You can max the BP now without touching this stuff, but that's min-max in a different way. XP drops off a cliff after 5 matches so you need daily engagement--that's still ok, but keep in mind we are in DRASTICALLY extended seasons. This works for a full 100 tiers in a 6 month season, that is not how the game is meant to be. A normal 3 month season, entirely dictated by challenges, was the intended progression. Challenge swaps are a remnant of what they tried to do and it would have been awful. Them giving out swaps as game pass perks, forgiveness, whatever still shows they have "value" even if the whole thing feels bad to use. I would not readily assume nobody is buying them either since people spend money on all kinds of crap in F2P titles. First match of season 2 and I had a teammate with the brute shoulders already, some person out there really dropped ~$200 to instantly max a 6 month season pass. I do not doubt someone is buying the dumb swaps.
Perfectly said.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
If I'm reading this correctly I must be confused because I thought it was always three challenges and a premium unlock. I can't go back to check because I never paid for the first season but completed it and it won't let me change back
I guess the problem is if you bought s1 and want to finish it you only get 3 instead of 4 like before s2 started. And you need s2 to unlock the 4th even when just working on s1

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably 75% of my matches are Fiesta matches because I enjoy the chaos. So yeah, most of my play time is outside of doing weekly challenges. I do play other modes, though, and I like that the challenges steer me towards other modes that I may not play as often.
I hear ya, and it's nice you have a positive mentality towards it as someone who mostly sticks to one playlist. Probably not the case for most people who tend to stick to one playlist tho, I'd guess.

Personally, I jump between a lot of playlists, but I've hated SWAT since Halo 2 so it would be nice if I could scratch that part of my digital copy and never have to play SWAT again. I largely don't mind Infinite's progression system, but it's farrrrrrrrrr less exciting to me and actively hurts a not insignificant amount of my game time, whether directly through my own challenges or indirectly through others completing their challenges.

That's just not happening with loot boxes. I'm not talking about the monetization of these systems, I'm talking purely from a game design impact they have on actual gameplay. Loot boxes for cosmetic progression don't really change how people play any given match compared to challenge systems.

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
I'm already level 17 after completing the weekly ultimate. I used 3 double xp tokens. I don't think there should be a fear of unable to completing the pass. Even if you play like 5 games a day.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm already level 17 after completing the weekly ultimate. I used 3 double xp tokens. I don't think there should be a fear of unable to completing the pass. Even if you play like 5 games a day.
I feel like people forget its 6 months long lol. There's PLENTY of time especially with them giving everyone 5 2XP boosts rn for the server issues

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised to be saying this, but I kinda dig rumble pit oddball…

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I feel like people forget its 6 months long lol. There's PLENTY of time especially with them giving everyone 5 2XP boosts rn for the server issues
In a month, we'll start seeing the common complaint that now that the Battle Pass is complete, there's "nothing to work towards".

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Yeah, if you play 6 games a day, you get 1,000 XP even without Challenges.

We have like 170+ days, so it's possible even with 2+3 games a day as you'd get 500 Points every 2 games a day.

But it's still a dumb system.

In a month, we'll start seeing the common complaint that now that the Battle Pass is complete, there's "nothing to work towards".

Some like that carrot. 😋

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, miss me with the "Defense Mode" bullshit. I have a ton of criticism of the game myself, which you'd know if you're making presumptuous statements about me.
I don't know, you do a lot of backflips in your defense of 343. That's not an attack on you, just an observation, so I hope you don't take it as such. Just look at our interaction now, I clearly said I wasn't talking about the battle pass in the post before you jumped in, but you just had to defend 343 from that single post without context to the conversation.

No shade man <3

These are good points, especially with the daily xp progression falling off a clip unless you are doing challenges.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Some like that carrot. 😋
For sure, I get that. But once that carrot is gone, people will be freed of their "obligations" and can just play whatever mode brings them happiness and fun.
I don't know, you do a lot of backflips in your defense of 343. That's not an attack on you, just an observation, so I hope you don't take it as such. Just look at our interaction now, I clearly said I wasn't talking about the battle pass in the post before you jumped in, but you just had to defend 343 from that single post without context to the conversation.

No shade man <3
I have no ties to 343 and no personal care for 343. It's a company that made Halo Infinite and I'm critical of a lot of things within their product that I want to see improved. I think that the constant downward drain swirl of complaining about literally anything is exhausting as hell and if I'm a voice of the contrary in that, it's because it's like, damn, can we at least try to be a little different from the Halo community at large?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

The length of time it takes to complete the BP is irrelevant to the issues with the system.

The problem is that the challenges incentivize quitting and doing stupid things during matches, which impacts players who don't even care about progression or weekly capstones.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am not worried about completing the pass it's about having fun doing it and right now it's not fun. It gets in the way of fun for me

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
These are all design flaws of the game. Like you can have a battle pass and a rank progression system too. Call of Duty does it. Hell you could even treat the armor cores like operators if you wanted. This barebones stuff is their fault.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't even bother with the crazy specific challenges unless there's a weekly reward I want at the end (like last week's black visor) or if there's event items I want (which the ones available now are pretty mid imo). I just play about 5 games or so until the EXP bonus drops like a cliff and then I quit for the day. But yeah, I despise any and all SWAT challenges lol those are always immediate swaps for me unless it's something simple like play 2 matches or something.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It often feels like Joe Staten is fighting against the powers at 343 from keeping Halo as some regular, problem-magnetic AAA franchise.

Halo is a franchise where goodwill will exponentially net more $$$$$$. MS/343 have yet to learn that this is not a franchise to mess with its community. It's just not. You don't try shady practices with the Halo community. Maybe you can with franchises like CoD, BF, or any other big names, but you can't with Halo because it's in a league of its own in terms of a dedicated community that feels emotionally invested in the game's identity and design.

CoD and BF often change and fans are fine with it, whereas motherfuckers in Halo just been wanting to play Halo for 20 years lol without the impact of modern game design stinking up the experience, whether through gameplay or surrounding systems like egregious cosmetic progression systems, etc.

Many of 343's mistakes are so. damn. obvious. It's bizarre how out of touch they are with the community.

I think that the constant downward drain swirl of complaining about literally anything
Maybe you should question the emotion behind this statement -- because it's not true at all. You only see the complaints, but there is still a lot of love in the community, especially from the MOUNTAINS of goodwill 343 had going into Infinite.

Why are you ignoring that? It can't be mostly positivity at all times, especially when there is so much wrong or decisions that are in the air where the community feels the need to voice concerns over.

is exhausting as hell
This doesn't sound healthy. Why can't you ignore it or not constantly engage in these discussions? You don't have to be that guy.

and if I'm a voice of the contrary in that, it's because it's like, damn, can we at least try to be a little different from the Halo community at large?
You're just one person, you're not going to change anything, nor should you because the community rightfully has a lot to be frustrated over. You're just giving yourself headaches lol.

I used a Swap...

The result?

Welp...swapping again!

EDIT: 5 melee kills from Behind in LSS...eh...it's slightly better...

Interesting. I think 25 kills in LSS is far easier than 5 melee kills from behind. Any time I walk up on someone they turn around, even with Camo. Shit's cursed lol. Loud footsteps and bad luck, I suppose.

Either way, you'd figure it would be easier without radar, but when there's no radar, people are paying more attention to their surroundings and using audio cues rather than only using their eyeballs to focus on little red dots.

Obligatory #DeleteRadarFromHalo

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Interesting. I think 25 kills in LSS is far easier than 5 melee kills from behind. Any time I walk up on someone they turn around, even with Camo. Shit's cursed lol. Loud footsteps and bad luck, I suppose.

Either way, you'd figure it would be easier without radar, but when there's no radar, people are paying more attention to their surroundings and using audio cues rather than only using their eyeballs to focus on little red dots.

Obligatory #DeleteRadarFromHalo

Oh, it's far easier to get 25 Melee than 5 Backsmacks...but I know I ain't gonna use another swap...so I'll live haha.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand what they were thinking with trick jumps -- not even communicating that those were being considered for the axe
Because some of them are obvious exploits that can give players an advantage. One symuch example even 343i themselves gave gives you quicker access to a powerup than the other team.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand what they were thinking with trick jumps -- not even communicating that those were being considered for the axe

It feels almost like 343 operates with contempt of the community. But in reality, they are probably just grossly out of touch.

I imagine there's a map designer who cringed every time someone used the pizza jump, embarrassed that an area they intended to be inaccessible, was pregnable due to an oversight.

In reality, it was a great place to put a difficult jump that required timed useage of one of the new sandbox items.

In an ideal world, the designers would have recognized this opportunity and intended for this area to have such a jump. A designer humble enough to see that the community found a way to make the map a little bit better than expected would be just as good. Instead we get it removed without warning- a signal that "as intended" is better regardless of what the community thinks.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
PBkmQAP.png

New season didn't bring much people back. CSGO has 45 times more players on right now.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Because some of them are obvious exploits that can give players an advantage. One symuch example even 343i themselves gave gives you quicker access to a powerup than the other team.
The thing is that the example isn't even a good one.

This is a sweeping change which has impacts across the board to fix a single starting strategy - something which could easily be addressed by slightly modifying spawn locations.

There's also the fact that the move they're referring to is a really bad starting strategy - flying into a camo like that is basically guaranteeing that you get melted.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Maybe you should question the emotion behind this statement -- because it's not true at all. You only see the complaints, but there is still a lot of love in the community, especially from the MOUNTAINS of goodwill 343 had going into Infinite.

Why are you ignoring that? It can't be mostly positivity at all times, especially when there is so much wrong or decisions that are in the air where the community feels the need to voice concerns over.

This doesn't sound healthy. Why can't you ignore it or not constantly engage in these discussions? You don't have to be that guy.

You're just one person, you're not going to change anything, nor should you because the community rightfully has a lot to be frustrated over. You're just giving yourself headaches lol.
It's a bottom tier community, to be honest. Evidenced by the subreddit getting shut down and 343 making an announcement today at 5pm on a Friday to lessen instantaneous blowback. And the reason I engage is because I want to discuss the game and I am (perhaps ignorantly) hopeful to see something different on Era than what I see everywhere else. And you're right, it IS exhausting. I'm at the point where I'm just ready to lean into the negative wave and to let it take over. It's probably just easier that way overall, so I think the next time there's significant 343 news I'll source some pros on Twitter, some folks on Reddit, and just throw on a cynical lens and have a better time lol. And I'm not even kidding, either. There's stuff I'm critical of the game, and so that'll be my vibe as it should be easier to not highlight anything positive haha.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bottom tier community, to be honest. Evidenced by the subreddit getting shut down and 343 making an announcement today at 5pm on a Friday to lessen instantaneous blowback. And the reason I engage is because I want to discuss the game and I am (perhaps ignorantly) hopeful to see something different on Era than what I see everywhere else. And you're right, it IS exhausting. I'm at the point where I'm just ready to lean into the negative wave and to let it take over. It's probably just easier that way overall, so I think the next time there's significant 343 news I'll source some pros on Twitter, some folks on Reddit, and just throw on a cynical lens and have a better time lol. And I'm not even kidding, either. There's stuff I'm critical of the game, and so that'll be my vibe as it should be easier to not highlight anything positive haha.
I hear ya man, the Halo community is both bottom and top tier imo; it's quite the dynamic lol.

What are you critical of btw? I'm curious, what changes do you want to see?

And beyond that, at what point will you express frustration in the form of online communication (like Era, Reddit, etc.) when the things you want to be changed, either don't ever change or somehow get worse? What's your breaking point?

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
PBkmQAP.png

New season didn't bring much people back. CSGO has 45 times more players on right now.
To be fair, you can also run CSGO on a potato. Still, they've got a LOT of work to do. I still say make Forge the #1 priority (release before Sep if you can). Get rid of challenges or implement a system where people can progress in whatever mode they want. Give us more maps. They do those things, and the game will be just fine in the short and medium term for the arena side. A true BR without any BS will help the game in the long term.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly if Joeseph Staten wasn't involved I'd have 0% hope that 343 could pull Halo Infinite out of the hell it's currently in

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PBkmQAP.png

Someone said they were gonna keep @ing me when the population kept rising with the new season. Still waiting for that @ KEKW. S2 seems to be have been a dud with everyone so much that most aren't even coming back to play.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Played LSS for the first time tonight and really dug it. I'm not good at the game but it's incredibly quick matches. Or at least they feel quick. I like not having radar for this mode and playing without teammates actually takes a lot of my anxiety out of it. I stayed away from FFA mostly because I'm shit but thinking about trying out more modes like that now because if I suck and die, I suck and die, and I'm not hurting a team. There was so much less stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.