• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So out of the big 3(cod, bf, halo) this year. Halo is the highest scoring

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Not gonna lie, this looks kind of like a dream game to me. Expanding the wide-linear old sections to an even wider space with dips into more linear structures from time to time, with Halo's signature feel of guns and enemy AI sprinkled throughout.
Agreed. It's what I've wanted Halo to evolve into for the longest time. Just would've liked more biome variety too, but feeling pretty confident that'll come in future content updates.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Thanks. My OS is on my 1TB NVME and that's where I would prefer to play my games, on the fast SSD. I know many haven't had issues with GP on PC, but when you read that thread it makes me want to stay far away from it until it's fixed...
I keep my OS on a separate 250GB NVME drive. That's how we install in our labs and how we recommend. Granted, if you don't have that option then do what you must. Maybe partition 250GB to the OS on your current drive.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
DF: "Infinite is a remarkable release and against the odds i feel that 343 has delivered one of the best first person shooters of the last decade. It's a game that far exceeds the previous work on halo 4 and 5."

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Seems fantastic and where I was hoping it would land. Now that they have this blueprint, I think future Halo campaigns could be even more special.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Thought I was gunna wait for co-op. But that is so far away at this point. Fuck it, I'm there Day 1.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
It's interesting that Halo Infinite's metacritic score is only 2-3 points higher than Halo 4 and Halo 5, yet a lot of the reviews make it sound much better and some even outright say that it's a much better game than 4 or 5. I wonder why that doesn't bear out in the score itself.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
The game is not perfect as the scores and reviews suggests. Some could be minor or major depending on the person and if you can overlook them or not. As i said im going off the review by Robin from Hooked because his opinion on the Halo franchise is inline with my expierence of the past games. You are free to agree or disagree and explain why im wrong. But i dont expect a serious respond from someone who uses "yikes" .
Broaden your horizons

read/watch more than 1 review

your original post got 30 people quoting it for a reason

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with the game getting less favorable reviews on the PC side?

It's a difference of about 5%. Xbox has 69 reviews (nice) and PC has 15 reviews.

Doesn't take many lower scores to knock an average down 5% when you only have 15 reviews to make the average from. It's largely got the same scores across both platforms.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Don't really care what the scores are since I was going to play anyway since I loved the feel of the multiplayer, but nice validation nonetheless. I can't wait for the coop to drop. Going to be fun experimenting about

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
How's legendary looking difficulty wise? I always do legendary in halo. Halo 2 was the biggest pain in the ass of my life. So how does this fare?

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
That Giant Bomb review is really funny and interesting to me.

It's like barely a review of the game at all and more just an op-ed of the state of the industry how a big tentpole title is launching into gamepass and whether reviews even matter now because people can just play it for basically nothing and make their own opinion.

When they haven't done a review in over a year, it's probably worth addressing from his end. I agree with him overall. In the traditional sense, I find them a relic of a bygone era. He's spot on in that anyone who clicked on his "review" already knew whether they wanted to give the game a shot.

The funniest part is that the joke paragraph at the bottom of the the review (that contains literally every hackneyed video game review trope and stuff that Jeff has mentioned several times were things they tried to edit out of every review that came through him) is the one paragraph used in the OP.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
If the only example that can be used is a platform-defining game built entirely for high-end hardware then I think it kind of proves the point.
Half-Life: Alyx doesn't even require high-end hardware. It's very well optimized. Everyone is free to develop something similar instead of the 10th samey feeling sequel.

Let's be honest here: there just haven't been that many true amazing FPS recently. Lots of good to great stuff, but nothing extraordinary.
The review scores for Prey are a travesty though. That is an easy 90+ game in my book. Another contender would be Amid Evil, which gets often overlooked. Stellar game with sublime style.
So out of the big 3(cod, bf, halo) this year. Halo is the highest scoring
Doesn't mean much with all of these being GaaS.
Battlefield already made some major improvements since its release.
We will see how things turn out in the long run. I don't see Halo beating CoD in popularity, but it will probably beat Battlefield quite easily.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

review codes were only for xbox consoles iirc
BUT u can simply try out the free multiplayer experience. Basically the same gadets, weapons and movesets. Imo Halo never felt better on PC than in Infinite.

Even for the PC-focused outlets? I think PC Gamer mentioned what PC hardware they used to test.

But yeah, good to hear impressions from the MP are glowing. I'm not much of a multiplayer person myself these days but I know I have that option in my back pocket as well. Thanks!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically the same score as Halo 5, expected

The open world was a bad choice after all, but Halo's gameplay remains king and it manages to hide all other setbacks
I'm sure 343 is devastated to have one of the highest reviewed games of the year. What a big mistake they made.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Great scores. And after Age of Empires and Forza Horizon, a phenomenal hat trick for Microsoft this fall. Congrats to 343

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit that Gene Park review, I'm sold.

I think this is going to mark a major turning point in the industry: This game is essentially the anti Cyberpunk in that it's receiving universal praise because of its delay. Microsoft under Mattrick would've probably forced a broken product out last year but the enormous risk of moving their flagship game back an entire year is paying off.

Mar 8, 2018
When they haven't done a review in over a year, it's probably worth addressing from his end. I agree with him overall. In the traditional sense, I find them a relic of a bygone era. He's spot on in that anyone who clicked on his "review" already knew whether they wanted to give the game a shot.
I agree honestly. I don't read them anymore to figure out if I want to play. For that purpose, I'd rather listen to or watch conversations about the game that aren't bound by the structures and constraints and weirdness of traditional game reviews. And then if I want real analysis, whether of culture or systems or themes, well I can read a smart critique by a smart critic at any time after playing the game myself. I'd much rather spend time with criticism that enriches or complicates my experience with a work, than with the increasingly unnecessary "worth a buy?" style.

Garryk

Oct 26, 2017
*Scrolls past Best Buy banner ad on Giant Bomb*

"You don't need me to sit here and put together my best game picks for "dads and grads" for some suck-ass gift guide."

Bless you Jeff.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaan I love this feeling. I know I shouldn't be this emotional over game reviews, but this just makes me feel a sense of pride like my baby grew up, went out into the world, and achieved something great.

The King has returned :)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I agree honestly. I don't read them anymore to figure out if I want to play. For that purpose, I'd rather listen to or watch conversations about the game that aren't bound by the structures and constraints and weirdness of traditional game reviews. And then if I want real analysis, whether of culture or systems or themes, well I can read a smart critique by a smart critic at any time after playing the game myself. I'd much rather spend time with criticism that enriches or complicates my experience with a work, than with the increasingly unnecessary "worth a buy?" style.
Yep, we'll said. Same.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Really feels like Halo's going through the sort of revival the series has needed for a little while now. I'm glad it looks like the extra time in the oven has really paid off. I don't know when I'm going to be able to get a Series X but I'm really looking forward to the day I do and getting to play.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit that Gene Park review, I'm sold.

I think this is going to mark a major turning point in the industry: This game is essentially the anti Cyberpunk in that it's receiving universal praise because of its delay. Microsoft under Mattrick would've probably forced a broken product out last year but the enormous risk of moving their flagship game back an entire year is paying off.
It isn't a major turning point in the industry though. Nintendo has always held close to Miyamoto's quote about a delayed game only being delayed for a short time, while a bad game is bad forever. Sony has shown a similar view towards their internal projects, including many delays for the last few GT iterations as well as recent delays for Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok.

This is a sign that Microsoft specifically has now moved into that same philosophy for their first party studios, which is a huge shift for them, but not the first party side of the industry. Spencer is clearly aware that first party publishers and third party publishers play by different rules.

Combined with their slate of studio acquisitions over the last 5 years this should mark a significant turning point for Microsoft, but its really them coming into their own as a first party and disposing of the archaic third party paradigms they used to operate under, than an industry-wide shift.

We'll still see third parties continue to push games out too early and Nintendo/Sony will continue with business as usual, but now we can hopefully see MS match the later in quality reliably (exactly what they've done this year) and forget about matching sales of the former in specific holiday windows.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Cool stuff.

I mean, with the really positive previews I was definitely givining it a go regardless.

Coupled with the fun I've had in the multiplayer (dying mostly) I am really looking forward to a god damn Halo game.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Now, first off, understand I'm happy with these scores, and I'm not trying to suggest the game isn't great or in any way undeserving of them. I'm coming from the perspective of someone who actually loved 4 overall, and liked what I played of 5. That said... why are there so many people saying "343 finally made a good Halo game!", "343 redeemed!", " Halo is finally back!", etc. when the scores are basically the same as 4 (also 87 MC) and only slightly higher than 5 (84 MC)? Again, I'm glad it's getting these scores, and is at least as good as it's predecessors which I greatly enjoyed, but I don't really understand some of the sentiments in here when it's actually scoring on par with 4 and 5?

I get a sense that this review will be much more in line with player sentiments, especially since millions of people have already gotten to play the multiplayers

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Which difficutly did you play on? Since halo2 I've always started my first playthrough with heroic and after finishing went to legendary. As a Halo "Veteran" who played through every game multiple times and on legendary, is there value in starting on normal or should I just go directly to heroic as always?
Heroic for me. (Side note - upgrade your equipment, to your benefit!)