• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Just uninstalled the HD textures, will try tonight to see if it changes much. THanks for the tips guys

nath999

May 7, 2018
It says there is an update available on Xbox app but nothing happens when I click update.

fluidz

Nov 11, 2021
If your game is stuttering really badly, check to see if there's only one instance running.

Its possible to launch multiple instances of the gamepass version of Halo Infinite (not sure about Steam version). I realised this when I turned on my speakers, there was an echo doubling effect.

To check : Hover your mouse cursor over the Halo icon in the taskbar.

8 instances! (just for giggles) :

kMBKLfS.gif

Last edited:

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on an old ass GTX 1070 and i5 4670K. Uninstalling the textures was a HUGE help. It's not stopping all of the frame drops, but if it does drop it feels less stuttery and way more bearable than before.

im also on a 1070. Uninstalled HD textures as I've got everything set to high except shadows/lighting/reflections for like almost 60fps

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
If your game is stuttering really badly, check to see if there's only one instance running.

Its possible to launch multiple instances of the gamepass version of Halo Infinite (not sure about Steam version). I realised this when I turned on my speakers, there was an echo doubling effect.

kMBKLfS.gif

Yeah, my game was running notably worse than last night. I also wondered why there was constantly music playing in the background, but no biggie. My volume was very low anyway. After a while I quit the game. The "press start" menu is still there.... What the fuck?

I had two instances running.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018

kMBKLfS.gif

For some reason this happens to me from time to time. Really weird.

Also noticed the first time due to the dual audio.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Uninstalling the HD texture pack gave me a significant boost in the open world as well, even though I was already only using textures on High. Bizarre.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

kMBKLfS.gif

I've done this multiple times lol.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
The pre-open world stuff is pretty universally fine for everyone. It's when you hit the open world that everything falls to shit :(
The fact that things are so solid until then makes it all the more heartbreaking when it happens.
Here's hoping they fix it promptly, but I don't have high hopes given the year delay they've already taken to get things in proper shape.

so i got to the open world and i wouldn't say it's fallen to shit but it's definitely worse than before. whereas before i was getting ~100fps now i'm getting 60-90 fps, averaging 75-80. definitely not as smooth as the opening parts of the game

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
5700xt has the most aweful bug imaginable - it shuts down my whole PC.
And before anyone says anything - it's not a PSU issue, not a driver issue, not an overheating issue... I monitor such things really well.
It crashes (simply shuts off) specifically in menus and when an audio log menu pops us.
Googled it and found that it affects specifically the people with the 5700 gpus. This sucks so bad. Waiting for a patch...

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a drop in texture quality or just caching?

FWIW since I was playing on High rather than Ultra textures I can't say for sure, but there's been no real perceivable quality drop for me. Whatever it might lack in texture detail has been more than made up by the game not dipping in resolution constantly to make my minimum framerate; I'm actually getting a crisp picture in the open world now

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Game defaulted to medium so i turned textures to high and AF to high and tried it like that. Afterburner and Geforce Experience wouldnt give me a FR counter but i got CPU and GPU utilization. On those settings in the open world my GPU was about tapped out. Constant in the low to high 90s but surprisingly CPU was never really over 30. But damn does my external SSD take forever to load in this game. Game ran pretty smooth at these settings tho and only had a hitch here or there.

2060 at 1080p and an i7 8700

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
The pre-open world stuff is pretty universally fine for everyone. It's when you hit the open world that everything falls to shit :(
The fact that things are so solid until then makes it all the more heartbreaking when it happens.
Here's hoping they fix it promptly, but I don't have high hopes given the year delay they've already taken to get things in proper shape.

I hope they fixed it as well, because I was really enjoying the game. I started to see bad signs at the start of the second level, and yup, as soon as those doors opened, my fps went to hell. Even lowering everything to minimum didn't help.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Any news or even a note from 343 that they are working to improve PC performance??? I just want good frametimes and gsync to work 😔

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Game crashed to desktop today so I'm bagging the PC version and staying on Series X. Don't know how common it is and don't want to find out again mid battle.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
FWIW since I was playing on High rather than Ultra textures I can't say for sure, but there's been no real perceivable quality drop for me. Whatever it might lack in texture detail has been more than made up by the game not dipping in resolution constantly to make my minimum framerate; I'm actually getting a crisp picture in the open world now
That sounds great will check it out.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I'm getting around 50fps during combat in the open world. Guess I'll just wait to play this.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So trying to launch Halo Infinite in the game pass app just launches a "gaming services" page in the Microsoft store instead?

Edit: Now the start menu and taskbar are gone? I swear to fuck, I hate Windows.

Edit 2: Reinstalled the Xbox app, now it's saying I have to re-install the game but clicking install doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So trying to launch Halo Infinite in the game pass app just launches a "gaming services" page in the Microsoft store instead?
That happened to me (and many others) and the fix that worked for me was to uninstall and reinstall the HD texture pack. Before you do that, though, there's a quicker solution involving command lines but I didn't see anyone post the specifics of this solution in this thread. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That happened to me (and many others) and the fix that worked for me was to uninstall and reinstall the HD texture pack. Before you do that, though, there's a quicker solution involving command lines but I didn't see anyone post the specifics of this solution in this thread. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
The other solution is to go to Settings>Apps>Halo Infinite>Right click, Advanced Options> Reset

The game will disappear, so find it on the xbox app, it will prompt to install. After your fear that you mightve uninstalled the game is gone, Press install and it will repair itself and appear after a short while.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

Edit: Now the start menu and taskbar are gone? I swear to fuck, I hate Windows.

Edit 2: Reinstalled the Xbox app, now it's saying I have to re-install the game but clicking install doesn't do anything.

I reset Halo infinite in apps and programs and it was fine. Didn't have to reinstall and didn't lose my save.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting around 50fps during combat in the open world. Guess I'll just wait to play this.

Try uninstalling the HD texture pack.

It gives you like 15 more fps and removes stuttering. And the visual difference is almost unnoticeable

There's something wrong with the HD texture pack. It seems to use it even if you set in game textures to low

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Uninstalling the HD texture pack to fix stuttering issues should be included in the OP

It has been in the OP since yesterday. I added "for those with a <10GB GPU" because thus far the only people who've said it improved things are those with an <8GB GPU, and we now have one person saying it didn't make a difference on their 3080 system. (Edit: Removed in light of cat's post below.)

Last edited:

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
So to uninstall the texture pack in gamepass PC do you click on manage app on halo and then deselect the texture pack and apply changes. Is that it? That doesn't seem to uninstall it though.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So to uninstall the texture pack in gamepass PC do you click on manage app on halo and then deselect the texture pack and apply changes. Is that it? That doesn't seem to uninstall it though.

I just tried it out. When you click apply changes, watch the "play" button as it changes for a couple of seconds to "downloading" and then goes back to "play".

It works!

It gives you like 15 more fps and removes stuttering. And the visual difference is almost unnoticeable

There's something wrong with the HD texture pack. It seems to use it even if you set in game textures to low

THANK YOU!! This works!!!!! It actually plays normally!!! no longer a stuttering mess in the open world. Wow. You saved my weekend :) Can get back to the campaign, yes!!!!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
It has been in the OP since yesterday. I added "for those with a <10GB GPU" because thus far the only people who've said it improved things are those with an <8GB GPU, and we now have one person saying it didn't make a difference on their 3080 system.

it made a huge difference on my 10GB 3080. Count me in as a data point where even with 10GB it helps immensely. This is locked to 60 FPS btw

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

I got a noticeable boost in performance but I'm also noticing more texture streaming. "Ultra" is still selectable in the menu is this texture pack supposed to improve on Ultra setting?

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I just tried it out. When you click apply changes, watch the "play" button as it changes for a couple of seconds to "downloading" and then goes back to "play".

It works!

THANK YOU!! This works!!!!! It actually plays normally!!! no longer a stuttering mess in the open world. Wow. You saved my weekend :) Can get back to the campaign, yes!!!!

Thanks, it did this but it changed nothing for me. :(

I have dropped some settings to low, resolution 1080p and capped the FR to 30 and at least it seems to not be stuttering as much. I can't believe the open world would be so drastically different from the first two levels and multiplayer, still feel like something is wrong.

My card and CPU isn't great, a 580 AMD but I can play most games at 1080p 60 or 1440 and still have great frame rate.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017

Thanks, I think this helped a lot! I just thought my 6700k was the problem.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Weird game so far, technically. The game really doesn't seem to like running below a framerate cap, even though VRR/G-Sync should smooth that out. I get wild CPU usage if I run totally unlocked, which then suddenly becomes reasonable if I impose any max framerate. And if it's running below whatever cap I impose, the game doesn't feel smooth, even though the framerate is decent and the frametime graph looks OK. (And G-Sync is definitely active through all this.)

Currently I've capped it at 60hz (62 on the in-game limiter, 60 through RTSS) and it feels pretty good, since it's able to hold that framerate.

I also got a few crashes during the first two levels. I'd enabled async compute from the start, and disabled it after the second crash, having had issues with that on Nvidia cards in the past. Not sure if that helped, since it still crashed at least once afterward.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
removing the high resolution textures has improved performance A LOT and like others have said i can't tell any difference (i'm playing at 1440p though). there's still some stuttering in cutscenes but i can deal with that. gameplay out in the world is a million times smoother. combat feels more satisfying now and aiming is an absolute delight.

i went into the nvidia control panel and forced a 60fps limit and vsync. turning on vsync in game is disaster so turned it off and set max 60fps with minimum 48. i'm playing on a gsync monitor.

all my settings are at high and fov is 100. getting rock solid 60fps in open areas. would love to be able to see a graph of unlocked frames to get an idea of how much headroom i have. there's still some settings i can turn up.

no crashes yet either.

my pc is 9900k, 32GB RAM, 2080 8GB (latest driver). windows 10. 1440p 144hz monitor

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
Antone else experiencing animation lag or jitter?

Sometimes it looks like the game is dropping fps, but the actual fps counter is still locked at 144 (for me at least), but the animations look like they slow down substantially during some fights and becomes a jittery and unresponsive mess.

I've noticed it a lot when climbing ledges and high impact scenes.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Antone else experiencing animation lag or jitter?

Sometimes it looks like the game is dropping fps, but the actual fps counter is still locked at 144 (for me at least), but the animations look like they slow down substantially during some fights and becomes a jittery and unresponsive mess.

I've noticed it a lot when climbing ledges and high impact scenes.
Chief's animations like climbing and reloading are locked to 30 i believe. Seems like it.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
As with others I had a smooth experience for the first 2 missions, then performance dropped massively when I hit the open world.

I switched from uncapped to 60 fps both maximum and minimum frame-rate and its been smooth as butter ever since. Little or no stutter when traversing, driving a Mongoose etc.

5950x / NVME4 / 2080Ti / 4K Gsync