• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Team BR's + radar = easily the worst Infinite has to offer
Theyve been advertising like crazy on social media, twitter, facebook, etc...wonder if they are being picky about who they are hiring or if they just aren't getting qualified candidates (or both or neither). Probably won't see the fruits of labor for another year or so...maybe during S3.
I wonder what that interview process is like.

343: "How important is it for you to have Halo on your resume?"
My response: "I don't give a shit about that. I'm here to save Halo. First, we're removing radar. Second, we're deleting Team BR's and SWAT. Let them cry. Third, you'll find out on day one. I'm hired. See you tomorrow, remotely."

Easiest path to a better Halo.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
So I saw a familiar avatar on my timeline this morning (the tweet was retweeted by HaloDotAPI):

Translated very poorly by Google, the tweet reads: "
Halo Infinite's Battle Royal mode is likely to upset your habits...

Unpublished information, discover in episode 3 of our Podcast how a game of Tatanka goes!

A vehicle adored by players should also be making a comeback...
"
Juan is this your tweet?

Yeah, Zeny and I are close friends since a young age, and there's an habit of having Halo related informations ahead of time. I don't know if you remember the Defiant Map Pack which was leaked for Halo Reach once Bungie left the game, but it was us, with our previous website dedicated to Halo, called HaloDestiny.

Yep, this is my tweet. Bathrobe Spartan is our new Halo dedicated media, mostly oriented to the French community, and this is the latest episode from our Podcast.

This one was dedicated to Tatanka. We, and others, were recently able to get our hands on several files from the mode, which we decompiled and were able to gain access to many more informations.

Note that we didn't play this new mode. But, we read all the files once decompiled, there was a ton, and reading the code, we were able to relate different elements to understand how a typical game of Tatanka would play. This is mostly a work a relating elements to each other thanks to the many comments left in the code, and how functions were related and ordered.

I won't translate the hour long episode as it would be quite a little bit long, but I can try to summarize the main points and guide you through what would be a typical Tatanka game, from start to finish.

Note that this is not the final version of the mode and they're still working on it, so what we said is, once again, detective work and how we were able to relate informations between them. I'll use a lot of conditional like in our Podcast. Informations aren't all new, but this helps us going deeper into the mode at this point:

How many people are working on Tatanka from Certain Affinity

There seems to be 5 to 6 people working on the mode, at least that's the number of people we found mentioned in the different files. We're not going to publicly share the names we found, but we checked to be sure the names we found were working at Certain Affinity and they are.

Note that the file are commented by Lead Programmers and Designers, but maybe some other hands updated the files without writing comments about what their code is doing.

Modes available for Tatanka
  1. FFA
  2. Duo
  3. Trio
  4. Squad
Those modes, while available, probably won't launch all together, but they are available as separated playlists/selections for 343 Industries to use whenever they would want to.

Where does a Tatanka game take place

In our Bathrobe Spartan Podcast, we discussed that there's a dedicated map for this mode. It's taking place on the Ring (probably one part of the Zeta Halo), and so far, there's only one map available.

How many people can play in a Tatanka game

It's currently up to 60 players. Previous leaks shared this could be up to 100 players, but it was mostly for stress testing the map, with several bots roaming around it. This part is still available in the code, but it is for testing purpose and the final decision at this stage of the file were updated was to cap the number of players to 60, like Apex Legends.

How does a Tatanka game play

You begin the game in a lobby so the several assets can load, similar to what you would have in PUBG or Fortnite, roaming around with other Spartans.

Once the game is ready, you're teleported/transitioned to a Ship, from which you're able to Drop on the map. Drop Pods, the one used in ODST, are mentioned as the way to drop on the map.

It seems that the game would allow for the option to drop in a place selected directly without you having to control the Drop Pod itself, and while we guess we will also be able to control the Drop Pod, we can't say if it would be from a 1st or 3rd person perspective.

Once landed, you only have a weapon, apparently a very basic one so you can progress. Could be the Sidekick or the Disruptor, it wasn't mentioned, but it's not a high tier weapon apparently.

There doesn't seem to have loot on the ground, or at least, not high tier loot. You will find ammo cache on the ground, like you could during the campaign, to refill your ammo.

There're several Point of Interest on the map, and those aren't just locations like in other BR games, but Objective to reach and achieve so you can gain point and unlock new tiers, really similar to what was done in Halo 5's Warzone, where you had to capture base and kill AI bosses to get points and unlock new tiers.

In the code, we found several type of objective, some are similars to contract from CoD Warzone, such as:

• Capture & Control a base/zone
  • Oddball (keep an objective with yourself for a certain amont of time)
  • Supply Run (bring an element to a point Alpha then Bravo so you can unlock loot)
While you're doing one of these objectives, players around the Area are notified of these, probably to incentive players to meet and fight against each other in central locations before the Tempest begins to close.

Completing these objectives (and eliminating other players we guess) will grant your points that you'll then be able to spent in stations you select the weapons, and vehicles, you want to use, against, similar to how you were doing that in Halo 5's Warzone.

Completing these objectives will also grant you a Special Key (Containment Key we think is the name), and you will need 4 of them to access very high tier loot cache.

We think it's made so you don't camp in the zone you captured, and so it push you to get against other players to get their key and have all the chances to unlock brutally destructive loot.

How to move around the map

As said, once you get points, you'll be able to order vehicles, similar to the way you were doing in from the FOB during the campaign. Of course, you can do that on foot, but a vehicle is always nice I guess?

Vehicles we found were mostly co-operative vehicles, such as the Warthog, Mongoose or the Razorback, and it also included several mention to a long time gone vehicle we all loved: the Falcon

We don't know if it was a placeholder or something left from an earlier version of the mode, but, since the Falcon wasn't in Halo 4 and Halo 5, we doubt it was a leftover and therefor, it was probably intentional they mentioned it in the code.

We didn't find any mention of the Banshee, and the Ghost wasn't explicitly mentioned as well.

Respawn System

There were several mentions of different respawn system.

One is based around your Spartan being downed, similar to what you can have in the mode Attrition, where you have to stand close to it to get your friends back on their feet. We don't know if they will use the rounded ball like in Attrition or downed animation like in Halo 5.

The second one is a real respawn system if you happened to be eliminated. You would have to go to certain locations to respawn your friends, and they will drop, either from a Ship like in Apex Legends or thanks to a Drop Pod.

How does a Tatanka game end

Like other BR games, the Circle/Tempest (that's how it is called) will be closing more and more, forcing groups to reunite. Once you win the game, you have a Stance system, similar to the one you have after each PvP game at the moment.

Other elements we found
  • The Tactical map from the campaign should be back for Tatanka, showing you a 3D representation of the map with elevation
  • You'll be able to put a Waypoint on the map which will be visible to all your mates
  • Ping system could be improved, but we didn't found much
  • Random events can happen on the map, and those Event will be displayed to all players so they can go to them
  • It could be Loot Crate or other things
  • DMR was also mentioned as a weapon, but we don't know if they were talking about the real DMR or if it was a codename for the Commando
  • Variations of weapon found in the campaign should be available from the very high tier loot I mentioned, possibly unlocked once you get the several Keys needed
  • You could be able to upgrade your weapons, but we don't know how, it was just mentioned
  • You select the weapon you want with your points, it's not a linear path like in Last Spartan Standing
  • A Backpack is mentioned, but we don't know if it's a inventory system or something else
  • Radar / Combat Sensor is nowhere to be found in this mode, exactly like in Last Spartan Standing, FUNKNOWN iXi should be happy

To summarize

All the things we found made us believe that Certain Affinity and 343 Industries are creating a different kind of BR game. While it's still about doing a Top 1, you seem to have much more control about the loot and how you'll get it.

Basically, you're playing classic gametypes (Control a zone, Bring an objective to a point, etc...) of Halo within a giant map. It's not only about eliminating players to get their loot, it's about playing objectives to increase your loot and the control you have over it.

It seems to be done this way so you rely less on RNG and luck to get your loadout, but more on tactical decisions and strategy.

In the end, they're bringing Halo classic gameplay to a BR, rather than just injecting BR within Halo, with a very straight forward FPS gameplay without too much worries about the ressource management and such.

All those things are making us quite interested honestly, and while things could still change (we don't think it will be available before 2023), if Tatanka ends up being the way we connected the dot, it will be something a little bit different from the current BR games.

Shall it be good can only be found once played.

I noticed Juan's "I should be able to talk more in two weeks" post falls on the Xbox extended thingy... Hmmm

We know that there should be 2 announcements during the showcase which are Halo related. One is 100% sure, but this one is not related to Halo Infinite, and it's not something big, it's just Halo related and I wouldn't be too excited unless you like flying.

The second one is... Well, we're not sure they're going to reveal this one during the showcase as it doesn't seem to be 100% ready, and we won't spoil it because we think it's better for them to share the surprise, but if they don't announce it during the showcase, we will probably share what we were told later one.

About that two weeks thing, it's not related to the Xbox Extended (at least not directly), we just were able to get our hands on something else related to Halo Infinite's PvP, and we will share more details about this during our next Podcast episode, which will be recored and published in... two weeks haha.

But as you guessed from my previous messages, it's related to Maps.

------------

Well, that's a long read, hopefully it can be fully posted in ResetERA without character limitation!

Please note that nothing said above is 100% confirmed. We got access to certain code, we decompiled them and studied them, and we connected the dots as much as we could to get an idea of how we will play a Tatanka mode once available. Things could still be up for a change from Certain Affinity and 343 Industries.

------------

If we have some French here, our Podcast is available on Spotify, SoundCloud, Deezer and Apple Podcast. We don't plan to do it in English, but feel free to use Google Audio Translated haha.

And we also have our website for the Podcast and all the Halo News in Fench: https://bathrobespartan.news/

And if you have Twitter, well, we're also on it and we have weekly giveaway for the OPI Skin: https://twitter.com/bathrobespartan

PS: Give us 5 Stars and a good rating on those Podcast platform, follow us, so on and so on you know the music (time to dance)/Youtuber thing, so we can keep sharing cool stuff, even if you don't listen to us on a bi-weekly basis, we will love your appreciation. Thank you all! 🙏

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022
Team BR's + radar = easily the worst Infinite has to offer

I wonder what that interview process is like.

343: "How important is it for you to have Halo on your resume?"
My response: "I don't give a shit about that. I'm here to save Halo. First, we're removing radar. Second, we're deleting Team BR's and SWAT. Let them cry. Third, you'll find out on day one. I'm hired. See you tomorrow, remotely."

Easiest path to a better Halo.
Wow, that is crazy. My favorite social mode is Team BR's and I also quite enjoy SWAT

Jan 6, 2022
The guy behind HaloDotAPI and I are very close friends since a very young age, and we have an habit of having Halo related informations ahead of time. I don't know if you remember the Defiant Map Pack which was leaked for Halo Reach once Bungie left the game, but it was us, with our previous website dedicated to Halo, called HaloDestiny.

Yep, this is my tweet. Bathrobe Spartan is our new Halo dedicated media, mostly oriented to the French community, and this is the latest episode from our Podcast.

This one was dedicated to Tatanka. We, and others, were recently able to get our hands on several files from the mode, which we decompiled and were able to gain access to many more informations.

Note that we didn't play this new mode. But, we read all the files once decompiled, there was a ton, and reading the code, we were able to relate different elements to understand how a typical game of Tatanka would play. This is mostly a work a relating elements to each other thanks to the many comments left in the code, and how functions were related and ordered.

I won't translate the hour long episode as it would be quite a little bit long, but I can try to summarize the main points and guide you through what would be a typical Tatanka game, from start to finish.

Note that this is not the final version of the mode and they're still working on it, so what we said is, once again, detective work and how we were able to relate informations between them. I'll use a lot of conditional like in our Podcast. Informations aren't all new, but this helps us going deeper into the mode at this point:

There seems to be 5 to 6 people working on the mode, at least that's the number of people we found mentioned in the different files. We're not going to publicly share the names we found, but we checked to be sure the names we found were working at Certain Affinity and they are.

Note that the file are commented by Lead Programmers and Designers, but maybe some other hands updated the files without writing comments about what their code is doing.

1. FFA
  2. Duo
  3. Trio
  4. Squad
Those modes, while available, probably won't launch all together, but they are available as separated playlists/selections for 343 Industries to use whenever they would want to.

In our Bathrobe Spartan Podcast, we discussed that there's a dedicated map for this mode. It's taking place on the Ring (probably one part of the Zeta Halo), and so far, there's only one map available.

It's currently up to 60 players. Previous leaks shared this could be up to 100 players, but it was mostly for stress testing the map, with several bots roaming around it. This part is still available in the code, but it is for testing purpose and the final decision at this stage of the file were updated was to cap the number of players to 60, like Apex Legends.

You begin the game in a lobby so the several assets can load, similar to what you would have in PUBG or Fortnite, roaming around with other Spartans.

Once the game is ready, you're teleported/transitioned to a Ship, from which you're able to Drop on the map. Drop Pods, the one used in ODST, are mentioned as the way to drop on the map.

It seems that the game would allow for the option to drop in a place selected directly without you having to control the Drop Pod itself, and while we guess we will also be able to control the Drop Pod, we can't say if it would be from a 1st or 3rd person perspective.

Once landed, you only have a weapon, apparently a very basic one so you can progress. Could be the Sidekick or the Disruptor, it wasn't mentioned, but it's not a high tier weapon apparently.

There doesn't seem to have loot on the ground, or at least, not high tier loot. You will find ammo cache on the ground, like you could during the campaign, to refill your ammo.

There're several Point of Interest on the map, and those aren't just locations like in other BR games, but Objective to reach and achieve so you can gain point and unlock new tiers, really similar to what was done in Halo 5's Warzone, where you had to capture base and kill AI bosses to get points and unlock new tiers.

In the code, we found several type of objective, some are similars to contract from CoD Warzone, such as:

• Supply Run (bring an element to a point Alpha then Bravo so you can unlock loot)
While you're doing one of these objectives, players around the Area are notified of these, probably to incentive players to meet and fight against each other in central locations before the Tempest begins to close.

Completing these objectives (and eliminating other players we guess) will grant your points that you'll then be able to spent in stations you select the weapons, and vehicles, you want to use, against, similar to how you were doing that in Halo 5's Warzone.

Completing these objectives will also grant you a Special Key (Containment Key we think is the name), and you will need 4 of them to access very high tier loot cache.

We think it's made so you don't camp in the zone you captured, and so it push you to get against other players to get their key and have all the chances to unlock brutally destructive loot.

As said, once you get points, you'll be able to order vehicles, similar to the way you were doing in from the FOB during the campaign. Of course, you can do that on foot, but a vehicle is always nice I guess?

Vehicles we found were mostly co-operative vehicles, such as the Warthog, Mongoose or the Razorback, and it also included several mention to a long time gone vehicle we all loved: the Falcon

We don't know if it was a placeholder or something left from an earlier version of the mode, but, since the Falcon wasn't in Halo 4 and Halo 5, we doubt it was a leftover and therefor, it was probably intentional they mentioned it in the code.

We didn't find any mention of the Banshee, and the Ghost wasn't explicitly mentioned as well.

Respawn System

One is based around your Spartan being downed, similar to what you can have in the mode Attrition, where you have to stand close to it to get your friends back on their feet. We don't know if they will use the rounded ball like in Attrition or downed animation like in Halo 5.

The second one is a real respawn system if you happened to be eliminated. You would have to go to certain locations to respawn your friends, and they will drop, either from a Ship like in Apex Legends or thanks to a Drop Pod.

Like other BR games, the Circle/Tempest (that's how it is called) will be closing more and more, forcing groups to reunite. Once you win the game, you have a Stance system, similar to the one you have after each PvP game at the moment.

Other elements we found
  • The Tactical map from the campaign should be back for Tatanka, showing you a 3D representation of the map with elevation
  • You'll be able to put a Waypoint on the map which will be visible to all your mates
  • Random events can happen on the map, and those Event will be displayed to all players so they can go to them
  • DMR was also mentioned as a weapon, but we don't know if they were talking about the real DMR or if it was a codename for the Commando
  • Variations of weapon found in the campaign should be available from the very high tier loot I mentioned, possibly unlocked once you get the several Keys needed
  • You could be able to upgrade your weapons, but we don't know how, it was just mentioned
  • You select the weapon you want with your points, it's not a linear path like in Last Spartan Standing
  • A Backpack is mentioned, but we don't know if it's a inventory system or something else
  • Radar / Combat Sensor is nowhere to be found in this mode, exactly like in Last Spartan Standing, FUNKNOWN iXi should be happy

To summarize

All the things we found made us believe that Certain Affinity and 343 Industries are creating a different kind of BR game. While it's still about doing a Top 1, you seem to have much more control about the loot and how you'll get it.

Basically, you're playing classic gametypes (Control a zone, Bring an objective to a point, etc...) of Halo within a giant map. It's not only about eliminating players to get their loot, it's about playing objectives to increase your loot and the control you have over it.

It seems to be done this way so you rely less on RNG and luck to get your loadout, but more on tactical decisions and strategy.

In the end, they're bringing Halo classic gameplay to a BR, rather than just injecting BR within Halo, with a very straight forward FPS gameplay without too much worries about the ressource management and such.

All those things are making us quite interested honestly, and while things could still change (we don't think it will be available before 2023), if Tatanka ends up being the way we connected the dot, it will be something a little bit different from the current BR games.

We know that there should be 2 announcements during the showcase which are Halo related. One is 100% sure, but this one is not related to Halo Infinite, and it's not something big, it's just Halo related and I wouldn't be too excited unless you like flying.

The second one is... Well, we're not sure they're going to reveal this one during the showcase as it doesn't seem to be 100% ready, and we won't spoil it because we think it's better for them to share the surprise, but if they don't announce it during the showcase, we will probably share what we were told later one.

About that two weeks thing, it's not related to the Xbox Extended (at least not directly), we just were able to get our hands on something else related to Halo Infinite's PvP, and we will share more details about this during our next Podcast episode, which will be recored and published in... two weeks haha.

------------

Well, that's a long read, hopefully it can be fully posted in ResetERA without character limitation!

Please note that nothing said above is 100% confirmed. We got access to certain code, we decompiled them and studied them, and we connected the dots as much as we could to get an idea of how we will play a Tatanka mode once available. Things could still be up for a change from Certain Affinity and 343 Industries.

------------

If we have some French here, our Podcast is available on Spotify, SoundCloud, Deezer and Apple Podcast. We don't plan to do it in English, but feel free to use Google Audio Translated haha.

And we also have our website for the Podcast and all the Halo News in Fench: https://bathrobespartan.news/

And if you have Twitter, well, we're also on it and we have weekly giveaway for the OPI Skin: https://twitter.com/bathrobespartan

PS: Give us 5 Stars and a good rating on those Podcast platform, follow us, so on and so on you know the music (time to dance)/Youtuber thing, so we can keep sharing cool stuff, even if you don't listen to us on a bi-weekly basis, we will love your appreciation. Thank you all! 🙏

Wow, this is an amazing post. Thank you so much for taking the time to summarize all of this, this was an absolutely amazing post. So much good info in here. I'm excited to see what CA is cooking up and I'm excited to see some of those new maps!

Once again, thanks for the amazing post and adding to the community

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The guy behind HaloDotAPI and I are very close friends since a very young age, and we have an habit of having Halo related informations ahead of time. I don't know if you remember the Defiant Map Pack which was leaked for Halo Reach once Bungie left the game, but it was us, with our previous website dedicated to Halo, called HaloDestiny.

1. FFA
  2. Duo
  3. Trio
  4. Squad

Respawn System

Other elements we found

To summarize

------------

------------

That sounds dope.

Some of the things I'd always thought would improve H5 warzone seem to have made it into this mode.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately for you, I love the BR in Halo:Infinite. I think the only change I would make is a slightly slower projectile speed? But that's about it
Moved to the pro team where you'll be talking into the void then.
That sounds dope.

Some of the things I'd always thought would improve H5 warzone seem to have made it into this mode.
Same, but I'm trying not to imagine fully what it plays like until I see it. Don't want to let myself run wild with cool ideas only for it to suddenly have radar, ya feel me lol.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Man that's bogus. First time I got hit with the challenges not registering bug. Needed 15 kills for my final weekly before the ultimate, got those 15 kills, and then got absolutely no challenge progress after the game, including XP for completing the game. Bogus shit.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Moved to the pro team where you'll be talking into the void then.

Same, but I'm trying not to imagine fully what it plays like until I see it. Don't want to let myself run wild with cool ideas only for it to suddenly have radar, ya feel me lol.

Lol yeah best to keep hopes in check.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Players 2-4 should be multiplayer Spartans for co-op. Don't @ me.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Only got the Weekly Ultimate left, which is Complete 3 Fiesta Matches.

Another easy List for me this week, with the worst bring "Win 4 Team Slayer Matches"...which I swapped for "Kill 50 Spartans".

That went well with my:

- Kill 50 Spartans (Duplicate)
- Get 20 Kills or Assists in Land Grab
- Control Zones for 60 Seconds in Land Grab.

Level 74 just through Weekly Challenges and 6 Matches a day to get 1,000 a day.

I'll be done in 3 weeks and only have to do Weeklies as and when they come.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
I didnt bother for the weekly this week, like usual.

Its like I just burnout for a few weeks whenever I finish a weekly lol.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Name Halo's greatest enemy in the modern era -
  • Its engine
  • Its fanbase
  • Its decision makers
  • Radar
  • The BR
  • Progression system
  • Most anti social Halo to date
  • Etc.
Only got the Weekly Ultimate left, which is Complete 3 Fiesta Matches.

Another easy List for me this week, with the worst bring "Win 4 Team Slayer Matches"...which I swapped for "Kill 50 Spartans".

That went well with my:

- Kill 50 Spartans (Duplicate)
- Get 20 Kills or Assists in Land Grab
- Control Zones for 60 Seconds in Land Grab.

Level 74 just through Weekly Challenges and 6 Matches a day to get 1,000 a day.

I'll be done in 3 weeks and only have to do Weeklies as and when they come.
As long as I have a healthy supply of challenge swaps, they way they designed them now have largely been easy to progress through imo.

Hopefully it only gets better.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  • Its engine
  • Its fanbase
  • Its decision makers
  • Radar
  • The BR
  • Progression system
  • Etc.

As long as I have a healthy supply of challenge swaps, they way they designed them now have largely been easy to progress through imo.

Radar. Delete it from every mp playlist.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Oh, for sure! I'm still sitting on 90+!

I just didn't want to win 4 Team Slayer Matches when I easily could have over the week.

Loving the ease of them lately though.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
  • Its engine
  • Its fanbase
  • Its decision makers
  • Radar
  • The BR
  • Progression system
  • Etc.

The toxic fanbase obviously.

If fans weren't vocally complaining, most players would not even realize the games' shortcomings.

/s

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Radar. Delete it from every mp playlist.
If by decision makers, you mean 343, then that's the option I pick. They're always apologizing for something that isn't game bugs.
It's either of these. It's not like Destiny's motion tracker is much better, but at the very least it doesn't give you the exact position of enemies relative to you. IMO, if it were to stick around, I feel it should be simplified to a 4-way directional alert, and only show allies otherwise.

As for development, I don't feel it's unreasonable to expect more from a studio owned by Microsoft. But now that I say it out loud, maybe it is unreasonable.

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
King of the hill should definitely be a seperate playlist, most fun mode imo

Also, rockets and maybe sword shouldn't be in fiesta, that mode should be all about trying different gunplay and styles etc, them 2 are just op

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Razorback Pass Tense coating is this month's Game Pass Ultimate perk.

rgrDxuf.png

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
  • Its engine
  • Its fanbase
  • Its decision makers
  • Radar
  • The BR
  • Progression system
  • Etc.

Decision makers. They developed the progression system. The walked back on the combat sensor in 2 hours of alpha tests due to whimpering fans' cries (most probably never even tried it). They need to make a playlist/task that make players play with the combat sensor to earn some cosemtics. Then all the players will learn how much better it is and how much more fun the game is.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I am CONVINCED that when you have a weapon challenge the game goes out if it's way to make sure you don't get that weapon. I'm on my 9th fiesta match and I have to get ONE gravity hammer kill and I haven't spawned with the gravity hammer once. They aren't even spawning in my games. Not seeing people with them, just swords. Fiesta is my favorite mode and I've NEVER experienced this. WTF.

Jan 6, 2022
  • Its engine
  • Its fanbase
  • Its decision makers
  • Radar
  • The BR
  • Progression system
  • Etc.

I think the only answer I could choose is the decision makers. A combination of a changing market, Halo Reach and Halo 4 really did a number on the franchise, imo. I have not enjoyed a 343 product until this game, which I very much love. I'm hopeful that the shifts at the top of 343, starting with daddy Staten, will have positive impacts.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm Plat 4 and I'm getting matched against an Onyx 1517 and two Diamond 4, with only one Diamond in my team, what the f*** is wrong with their SBMM seriously.

Will they ever look at this ffs, damn, I can't enjoy a simple Ranked match.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm Plat 4 and I'm getting matched against an Onyx 1517 and two Diamond 4, with only one Diamond in my team, what the f*** is wrong with their SBMM seriously.

Will they ever look at this ffs, damn, I can't enjoy a simple Ranked match.
I got grouped against 3 onyx earlier. That was thrilling. :eye roll:

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
  • Its engine
  • Its fanbase
  • Its decision makers
  • Radar
  • The BR
  • Progression system
  • Etc.

As much as any of those can present issues, I am going to go with the fan base.

No matter what what they do there will always be some segment of fans that see it in a negative light, and because the internet latches on to negativity far more easily than positivity, it creates a downward spiral that always leads to "halo is dad." They could put out a game as content complete as halo 3 and reach combined with state of the art graphics and some obscure segment of the halo Fandom would be like, "but why didn't/did they include [game feature] from halo x, it is so obvious that so much of the fan base wants/doesn't it," not realizing that game development requires finite resources and that there are actual people with lives of their own that are involved with the creation of these games.

I still have my problems with infinite but the way some people speak about it it is as if 343 personally attacked them. I know every fandom has a negative component but with halo it is inescapable, all consuming, and will never be satisfied.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
As much as any of those can present issues, I am going to go with the fan base.

No matter what what they do there will always be some segment of fans that see it in a negative light, and because the internet latches on to negativity far more easily than positivity, it creates a downward spiral that always leads to "halo is dad." They could put out a game as content complete as halo 3 and reach combined with state of the art graphics and some obscure segment of the halo Fandom would be like, "but why didn't/did they include [game feature] from halo x, it is so obvious that so much of the fan base wants/doesn't it," not realizing that game development requires finite resources and that there are actual people with lives of their own that are involved with the creation of these games.

I still have my problems with infinite but the way some people speak about it it is as if 343 personally attacked them. I know every fandom has a negative component but with halo it is inescapable, all consuming, and will never be satisfied.

We'll test this theory when 343 releases something that's more good than bad

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I mean, if 343 had any faith in their vision, they would stay the course and not apologize every time the community threw a fit. Tell the community to go fuck itself. Don't like the challenge system? Go fuck yourself. Don't like us removing the tank gun glitch? Go fuck yourself. Don't like us putting the pulse rifle in team snipers? Go fuck yourself.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I put "Its fanbase" it goes to both ends btw, whether fully negative or toxic positivity.

Toxic positivity stifles critical discussion that ultimately leads to a better Halo just as much as fully negative stubborn people do. Blinders are worn on both ends of the spectrum.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Unnecessary hostility
Can't find games with one friend but if I search solo I'll get a team of 3 on my side with only 10, 25 and 119 matches played while the enemies have 1278, 810, 367, 2150 matches. I have to carry but I still end up losing so what's the point in playing if the game is always against me?

Braindead matchmaking. Hope the people responsible for this garbage were actually fired.

No one can defend this system. It's either the people responsible are straight up assholes or incompetent.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I just fundamentally disagree that the playerbase cannot be satisfied. Arguments like that are just meant to hand wave the reality that 343s output is unsatisfying in many ways.

You guys remember when this trailer dropped? Hype for this game was absolutely through the roof. Read the comments!!! At this point in time, I hadn't seen this much positivity around Halo in over a decade. It was proof that it was actually possible to evolve Halo without sacrificing the classic look and feel. It was proof that previous 343 criticism wasn't just because people wanted to play rehash of Halo 3 - the go to strawman argument of the "toxic positive". They just wanted halo-ass-Halo

But when that trailer came out, who would have imagined that BTB would be broken for over a month at launch, or forge and co-op would be MIA, or that we'd get just 2 maps within the 1st year of launch, or that the progression and customization systems would be so abysmal, or that gamemodes would be few and slow to release, or that the MM and Ranking system would be so poor, or that desync would be such a huge problem, or that 343 would ship an update that causes guns to jam, or that the PC build would be woefully unstable, that custom games would crash all the time, Or that the UI would be so problematic and the playlist options would be such a regression.

Most people aren't being negative for the sake of being negative. These items warrant negative criticism. The idea that the people who voice displeasure with these sorts of things simply can "never be satisfied" ignores the reality that there are plenty of legitimate reasons for people to be unsatisfied with the quality of the output.

Last edited:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I realize you're frustrated but that's a disgusting comment.
You're right, I'm sorry to the unpaid interns who were still learning on the job. /Toxicity

Developing matchmaking systems is clearly not the right role for them.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was Josh Menke who was the major guy behind the system. He left a while ago and now we are stuck with this shit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
They should probably rework most if not all of the playlist for season 3. Remove all variants of tactical slayer and put swat as a ranked mode with sidekick starts every so often, Give an option of an objective type playlist, nuke team snipers and put only snipers, shotty snipes (if they ever give us the good shotgun) and shock rifle starts as the 3rd playlist, and introduce a ranked ffa or give ffa players a playlist that isn't goofy shit 90 percent of the time.

I don't know if 343 is still committed to making infinite last as long as they want but it probably wouldn't hurt to rework behemoth and launch site to help the game. Launch site would better work if modes were built around it like territories and 1 flag, 1 bomb but it's still a clumsy map outside of those possible modes. Behemoth is just too open and could benefit heavily from being condensed.

Still not a fan of the koth changes and hate we can't get anything from older halos without an attempt at trying to reinvent it. If we were going to get a guardian remake it should of be introduced with koth or maybe still fix it and give us different versions of koth with guardian.

Status
Not open for further replies.