• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbright

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm guessing May's "Drop Pod" was delayed? Last we heard news was coming "soon" when they dropped the jamming bug fix update, which was clarified not to be "the drop pod".

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

I guess I may be misremembering, no month was mentioned in his tweet. But when they said "monthly" I just assumed we'd get one each month, May included. Maybe early June is more likely.

it was more "when they're ready" at an about monthly cadence. May got its monthly update, it just wasn't labeled as a "drop pod"

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can 343 please explain the ranking system. I am going to use number approximations for the bar.

We 5-0 a CTF match when enemy was down a player. Bar moves 4 points.
We narrowly win a slayer match. Bar moves like 1/4 of a point if at all.
We lose a CTF match 2-3 and my bar goes down like 20 points. My friend loses barely a sliver.
We win a stongholds match, bar moves maybe 2 points.
Won a slayer match, went 15-9, moved maybe 2 points. Other team had mid-high diamonds. I am diamond 2.

Do we have rank locks in infinite? The game wants to keep in in Diamond 2

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Just get rid of this shitty SBMM already holy fuck

I'm searching solo and wasting my time
No the SBMM is actually genius in that it's way of constantly putting somebody that sandbags your teams so you have to play even better than you've ever played if you want to win consistently. /s

I cannot count the amount of times that average mmr per team has been used to put a vastly lower rank on my team while the entire enemy team have the same rank as the highest rank on my team. Would kill to see a game where everybody is only 1 rank higher or lower than me. Using the logic of average mmr in halo just allows matches to be over before they started because at least 1 person is out of their depth.

It's just not fun to play ranked in its current state but seems like some overhaul is coming season 3.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yeah, this is easily the worst ranked experience I've ever had the displeasure of playing in a game.

It sucks we have to wait 5 months for S3 before we get any overhaul for this dogshit.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Just knocked out all of the Fracture challenges for this week ahead of the week ending in a bit. Even though I only have two weekly challenges left I'm not gonna bother for the Ultimate. I don't care for either of the options for the two new armor cores or anything in the BP, so I'm not sure why I was so insistent on getting the Fracture stuff done. FOMO I guess.

Both of the new cores and the options for them remind me of the armor from the Dead Space series, what were those called? Rigs maybe? Well I think they're all ugly anyway. Really glad I played during S1 because I'd be super-bummed to come along now and not have any of the Tenrai items.

I don't love Land Grab a ton or anything but I liked it well-enough. I'm gonna miss it for the new few weeks. Unless the playlist is staying and only the Fracture stuff will go away until the next week it comes back?

Jan 6, 2022
I really like the shop this week, some good value and some good options in there, imo. Love the options stacking up for my Mark VII.

I also love that they stealth added the snipers playlist. Season 2 has done some great things for the playlist variety, imo. The last two things that this game needs to make more people happy content-wise is maps and casual modes, imo. I desperately need to play griffball in Infinite

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In April, Jez Corden suspected that Certain Affinity's Battle Royale mode would be showcased at the E3 showcase. I am hoping to see some of that! I'd love to see some footage of maps created in the new Forge mode.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
In April, Jez Corden suspected that Certain Affinity's Battle Royale mode would be showcased at the E3 showcase. I am hoping to see some of that! I'd love to see some footage of maps created in the new Forge mode.
Yeah it should be one of the safer bets. Hope they show season 3 stuff like that Avalanche remake/successor too.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
PvP is fun when everything is working right, but the desync and bloom is so maddening that I want , more than anything, Campaign co-op and pve.

Like I just want to chill and goof off in this sand box, because playing to win just isn't as rewarding as it should be thanks to all the little things they got wrong.

Laboring to carry a silver 2 player to victory, watching an enemy emerge from a explosion unscathed, headshot kills not counting because the Bullet bloomed or desync… you put up with all that nonsense and still manage to deal 6k damage and the game has the nerve to give you +2CSR and 50xp. Bruh, just let me kill the Covenant with my friends.

Last edited:

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Laboring to carry a silver 2 player to victory

I think this is my top 1 issue with the game. I could shrug for the desyncs and all, because I'm used to deal with bad connection in games, but having a sand bag in my team is the more infuriating issue I have since I can see it anytime I die and check the scoreboard. 😂

How come 343 can really think this is fair, balanced and fun? I mean, it's not fun for the one carrying the less skilled played, as you have to double-down on your own play, and for them, it must be atrocious to be killed from everywhere at such a high pace against way better play.

I know, that's how I felt for the last 3 Rumble Pit games I played where I was against Diamond and Onyx players, I couldn't do anything.

Less skilled players need to be with other kind of players like them, so they can make mistakes, play in low paced game and learn how to play correctly at their own pace.

I need snow and beach maps.

Yeah, we need diversity in the environment, and large scale environment as well. Hopefully, we should have snow later this season with the Avalanche remake, as well as a night-themed map with fir trees.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Stalker Rifle in Team Snipers and not shock rifle????????????????????????????

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate how predictable 343 is with new Halo releases.

So many of us were worried about the lack of biome diversity going into Infinite. They could literally have made us walk from a desert to a snow environment on a Halo ring without fans being confused, but here we are lol.

Jan 6, 2022
I think this is my top 1 issue with the game. I could shrug for the desyncs and all, because I'm used to deal with bad connection in games, but having a sand bag in my team is the more infuriating issue I have since I can see it anytime I die and check the scoreboard. 😂

How come 343 can really think this is fair, balanced and fun? I mean, it's not fun for the one carrying the less skilled played, as you have to double-down on your own play, and for them, it must be atrocious to be killed from everywhere at such a high pace against way better play.

I know, that's how I felt for the last 3 Rumble Pit games I played where I was against Diamond and Onyx players, I couldn't do anything.

Less skilled players need to be with other kind of players like them, so they can make mistakes, play in low paced game and learn how to play correctly at their own pace.

Yeah, we need diversity in the environment, and large scale environment as well. Hopefully, we should have snow later this season with the Avalanche remake, as well as a night-themed map with fir trees.
Whoa whoa whoa, I haven't seen anything about this night-themed map, do you have a link I can follow? This sounds sick

Jan 6, 2022
PvP is fun when everything is working right, but the desync and bloom is so maddening that I want , more than anything, Campaign co-op and pve.

Like I just want to chill and goof off in this sand box, because playing to win just isn't as rewarding as it should be thanks to all the little things they got wrong.

Laboring to carry a silver 2 player to victory, watching an enemy emerge from a explosion unscathed, headshot kills not counting because the Bullet bloomed or desync… you put up with all that nonsense and still manage to deal 6k damage and the game has the nerve to give you +2CSR and 50xp. Bruh, just let me kill the Covenant with my friends.
While I disagree with you about the overall enjoyment of PvP (the last shooter I enjoyed this much in PvP was Destiny 1 in 2014), I do agree that PvE opportunities would shine in this game. Literally just drop me off in the island from the Pelican Down mission and let me play some Firefight

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
While I disagree with you about the overall enjoyment of PvP (the last shooter I enjoyed this much in PvP was Destiny 1 in 2014), I do agree that PvE opportunities would shine in this game. Literally just drop me off in the island from the Pelican Down mission and let me play some Firefight

I mean, I enjoy the PvP immensely. But it's valleys and peaks… when I'm on and landing shots, the suddenly I empty a whole BR into a guy and get blanks, then tea-bagged, it's rage inducing.

I usually have fun getting outplayed. I'll laugh and be like man, that was a great play. But now I'm like… "he ninjad me by phasing through my backsmack 🥴"

Bloom sucks and always will. AR meta is literally worse than it was in H5. The BR is a poor man's starting weapon. And the poor ranking and progression system combine to make all of the above more annoying.

That's what happens when you work with metrics that are inherently biased. Like on paper, I'd say the matchmaking system is perfectly fair and balanced. I bet they have the data to say that even when there's a large standard deviation between player skill in a match, each team has a reasonable chance of winning. But if that's how you define fun, then you're bound to get results the audience doesn't agree with.

The match that I carried a Silver 2 to victory, we had to fight back from a 3-0 deficit, to win 4-3 in overtime. Was it thrilling? Sure. Was it fun? I wanted to throw my controller at the wall. Imagine getting a triple kill, carrying the flag to the goal line, and not scoring because when you drop the flag to slay the one guy left (who made a desperate flag pull) your teammate takes the flag to the complete opposite side of the map. I turned the game off after that win.

Jan 6, 2022

I found this article from The Washington Post interesting, regarding SBMM

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I want some news publication or just 343 themselves to do a deep dive on how maps are created from start to finish. Is it less work, even minimally, to do remakes?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Good article.

I would say that people used the term SBMM as a catch all, but the problem isn't that SBMM exists- it's what the devs do with the data they have about a player performance.

In the case of Halo, I think they need to look at the playlist and gametype and determine how tight a standard deviation between players and teams is acceptable. 4v4 ranked should have as little deviation as possible. Fiesta, go wild.

I honestly feel like the more social a gametype is intended to be, they should have rubber band mechanics ala Mario kart. Like, if someone is really stinking up the place, increase the chance of an OS or camo drop pod landing nearby.

They also need more gametypes that are truly social in nature- rather than have quickplay be "Ranked with worse settings". Like, where's team vampireball, ninja slayer, Juggernaut/VIP/Regicide, multi team etc. like, carrying a team of noobs is a lot less frustrating (and frankly fun) when playing well actually enhances the power fantasy.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to play social with friends and not wait 10+ minutes. Until that is fixed, this current SBMM is objectively trash.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Whoa whoa whoa, I haven't seen anything about this night-themed map, do you have a link I can follow? This sounds sick

It's one of the maps which were already leaked, but iirc, the only picture showed doesn't have light and is still grey boxes. Like many times before, I was showed a more advanced version of this map and it's how it was presented to me, but I didn't know if this detail was known or not.

Note that it's actually a forged map, and it will be a good showcase to present what the Forge is capable of before it being openly available.

Quite an interesting read, thanks!

As Trup1aya , SBMM isn't the issue (imo), as in the end, it's just a way to collect data, it is then how you use them.

What I really dislike with 343's way of doing online party is that they will look for the global MMR of each team, but if you happen to have 4 competent players against a team of 2 averages, 1 very competent and one very low skilled, the system will still think the game is fair, while it really isn't since you have only 3 players in your team in the end.

I wouldn't mind if the game actually was giving you a similar MMR for each team, but will relatively similar team, such as 2 competent players and 2 less skilled, but globally the same for the two groups on the two team. That way, competent players would have the ability to have decent matches against players of their level, while still having the ability to "stomp" on some players, while the less skilled players would at least have 2 opposing players of their level they could have a fair match against.

343 has this mentality since Halo 5, they even gave a GDC talk about it, and it's infuriating they are keeping it. Maybe the datas are telling them it's working for engagement, and maybe I'm wrong, as I kept playing tonight even after having lost 10 games in a row and having a very bad KDA (while I'm usually okay)...

I don't know, I just know this is the only game I've ever felt the need to stop for my health and sanity because the quick and responsive gameplay coupled with such a sweaty matchmaking is just killing me at this point.

If this game wasn't called Halo, it would have been deleted from my Xbox for a long time now. And I can't really on the MCC either since they implemented a very similar SBMM system...

They also need more gametypes that are truly social in nature- rather than have quickplay be "Ranked with worse settings". Like, where's team vampireball, ninja slayer, Juggernaut/VIP/Regicide, multi team etc. like, carrying a team of noobs is a lot less frustrating (and frankly fun) when playing well actually enhances the power fantasy.

Definitely this. I wouldn't mind losing or wining in a fantasy base game where the concept is purely social. Hopefully this will be available at some point...

You'll be happy to know a VIP gametype is coming at some point.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
If this game wasn't called Halo, it would have been deleted from my Xbox for a long time now. And I can't really on the MCC either since they implemented a very similar SBMM system...
MCC's system is not as strict as H5's or Infinite's though.

I usually search with one other friend and I'd say most of the time we are just steamrolling the enemy team. There are times that it's "343 even" but the consistent thing is that we can find games near instantly. Even if we search as a full team.

Infinite struggles to get me social games with just one friend :)))))))

Jan 6, 2022
Good article.

I would say that people used the term SBMM as a catch all, but the problem isn't that SBMM exists- it's what the devs do with the data they have about a player performance.

In the case of Halo, I think they need to look at the playlist and gametype and determine how tight a standard deviation between players and teams is acceptable. 4v4 ranked should have as little deviation as possible. Fiesta, go wild.

I honestly feel like the more social a gametype is intended to be, they should have rubber band mechanics ala Mario kart. Like, if someone is really stinking up the place, increase the chance of an OS or camo drop pod landing nearby.

I totally agree with you, I want to see quick play get wayyyy more social. I definitely want to see those whacky modes get into quick play, and then grifball and infection playlists to get even less sweaty.

Should this the first game since H3 to have the casual/competitive/MLG split? Put current quick play into "competitive" and current ranked into "MLG"?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Found 3 relatively quick snipers matches but we beat Falcated on the third match. Now I can't find games :D

Time to do the MMR trick. Having a functioning matchmaking system is too much to ask for apparently.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022
It's one of the maps which were already leaked, but iirc, the only picture showed doesn't have light and is still grey boxes. Like many times before, I was showed a more advanced version of this map and it's how it was presented to me, but I didn't know if this detail was known or not.

Note that it's actually a forged map, and it will be a good showcase to present what the Forge is capable of before it being openly available.

Quite an interesting read, thanks!

As Trup1aya , SBMM isn't the issue (imo), as in the end, it's just a way to collect data, it is then how you use them.

What I really dislike with 343's way of doing online party is that they will look for the global MMR of each team, but if you happen to have 4 competent players against a team of 2 averages, 1 very competent and one very low skilled, the system will still think the game is fair, while it really isn't since you have only 3 players in your team in the end.

I wouldn't mind if the game actually was giving you a similar MMR for each team, but will relatively similar team, such as 2 competent players and 2 less skilled, but globally the same for the two groups on the two team. That way, competent players would have the ability to have decent matches against players of their level, while still having the ability to "stomp" on some players, while the less skilled players would at least have 2 opposing players of their level they could have a fair match against.

343 has this mentality since Halo 5, they even gave a GDC talk about it, and it's infuriating they are keeping it. Maybe the datas are telling them it's working for engagement, and maybe I'm wrong, as I kept playing tonight even after having lost 10 games in a row and having a very bad KDA (while I'm usually okay)...

I don't know, I just know this is the only game I've ever felt the need to stop for my health and sanity because the quick and responsive gameplay coupled with such a sweaty matchmaking is just killing me at this point.

Definitely this. I wouldn't mind losing or wining in a fantasy base game where the concept is purely social. Hopefully this will be available at some point...

You'll be happy to know a VIP gametype is coming at some point.
Hearing that it's a forged map makes sense, I believe I even speculated in this thread that Forge will release with a few maps to juice up the release. The way you're talking about Avalanche and this map, they will launch in Season 2. Is that something I should be expecting?

Once again, always appreciate your contribution in this thread

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Id like ranked to be more forgiving given all the issues.

Uneven starts.
Crashes.
No join back in.
We just played a game where our game chat stopped working

Its so fucking frustrating

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good challenge for all skill levels without sacrificing match quality, and Land Grab is its own playlist -

22ca7840da6412a32fa2de4d3d6da248.png

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree with you, I want to see quick play get wayyyy more social. I definitely want to see those whacky modes get into quick play, and then grifball and infection playlists to get even less sweaty.

Should this the first game since H3 to have the casual/competitive/MLG split? Put current quick play into "competitive" and current ranked into "MLG"?

I'd be cool with:

Ranked- no radar, tight standard deviation between player MMR and Team MMR, restrictions on skill disparity within a party

Unranked- combat tracker, wider standard deviation allowed between player MMR and team MMR , no restrictions on skill disparity within a party

Social- full radar, huge deviation between player MMR and Team MMR allowed in modes with rubberbanding and/or power boosts for top players, no restrictions on skill disparity within a group.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I made this gif ages ago, should've posted it during Flight 1's Combat Sensor lol --

VlamLyl.gif

Felt blessed, only to feel cursed shortly after.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched mint's video about the sniper playlist not having snipers! why?
  • UNSC Sniper + Bulldog
  • Stalker Rifle + Pulse Carbine
  • Skewer + Mangler
I think those are the gametypes in the Sniper playlist, fyi. Whole lotta non Snipers in the Snipers playlist lol. I personally don't care because Team Snipers, much like SWAT, is one of the most boring playlists Halo, but it is funny to see.

A notoriously popular mode has a majority of non Sniper weapons lol. Good ol' 343.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
That's going to create smaller pools of players. How long are you willing to wait for a match?

I think what creates a small pool of players is a matchmaking system that is unsatisfying. I can say without certainty than I'd rather wait than have to be forced to carry silver 2s. And I don't think silver 2s like getting dominated by diamonds.

At this point in the game, I could see something like this creating long wait times for higher skilled players, but we're it like this from the start more people might have found ranked to be enjoyable.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
  • UNSC Sniper + Bulldog
  • Stalker Rifle + Pulse Carbine
  • Skewer + Mangler
I think those are the gametypes in the Sniper playlist, fyi. Whole lotta non Snipers in the Snipers playlist lol. I personally don't care because Team Snipers, much like SWAT, is one of the most boring playlists Halo, but it is funny to see.

A notoriously popular mode has a majority of non Sniper weapons lol. Good ol' 343.

Weird that shock is missing. And apparently the playlist is full of quit or manglers depending on load out.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I think what creates a small pool of players is a matchmaking system that is unsatisfying. I can say without certainty than I'd rather wait than have to be forced to carry silver 2s. And I don't think silver 2s like getting dominated by diamonds.

At this point in the game, I could see something like this creating long wait times for higher skilled players, but we're it like this from the start more people might have found ranked to be enjoyable.

So, 10 minutes? I've seen people complain in this very thread about needing to wait 10 minutes or more when they have more than one person in their party. It's hard to satisfy everyone's needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.