• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
They updated the backend for that your challenges progress even if you leave a LSS game early, but, they didn't adjust that so you also get progress on the XP given for each game each day...

Like, how is it possible for a big studio to do so many beginner mistakes? How can they not think about this kind of thing is beyond me.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking up. Listening. I don't play Battle Royale games or modes without a headset, and I can pinpoint where people are when they're moving around.
EQI2EI0UEAAXsIU.jpg

Delete radar from Halo.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm only playing LSS for the score based and play X amount of games challenges. Otherwise I won't be touching this mode.
And once I unlock the sniper skin, I won't ever touch the mode again.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Infinite Install is seemingly corrupted and I have no idea how to fix. Its showing up a 0mb on the xbox app with a failed install due to space error.

wtf

I didnt press anything

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Okay, I am officially done trying to get this razorback party bus achievement with randoms.

Just started a match after waiting hours for a map with a razorback spawn, hopped in the drivers seat with 2 people getting in right away, I hold down the button to honk and without moving a third person jumps in and this fucking achievement still doesn't pop for me.

I dunno how else to do this, I feel like it's actually bugged for me or something.

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to turn off crossplay? I am bad at this game and being matched witch PC players doesn't help.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I hate this mode. I have three challenges for back smacks and I can't get back smacks on anyone. I hate FFA modes in general. I like team based stuff. This fucking SUCKS. If I wanted to play CoD war zone I'd go play CoD war zone. I want to play halo. This fucking SUCKS. And I can't get my weekly done because of these stupid challenges.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I hate this mode. I have three challenges for back smacks and I can't get back smacks on anyone. I hate FFA modes in general. I like team based stuff. This fucking SUCKS. If I wanted to play CoD war zone I'd go play CoD war zone. I want to play halo. This fucking SUCKS. And I can't get my weekly done because of these stupid challenges.
Are you grabbing active camo? It's backsmack city in that mode. Also just play the other modes if you're this pissed off. Weekly challenges and FOMO and skinz and all that, I get it, but if it's making you this angry just don't play it. I understand your annoyance with the dilemma you're in, but is this much pain worth it for a skin?

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I am officially done trying to get this razorback party bus achievement with randoms.

Just started a match after waiting hours for a map with a razorback spawn, hopped in the drivers seat with 2 people getting in right away, I hold down the button to honk and without moving a third person jumps in and this fucking achievement still doesn't pop for me.

I dunno how else to do this, I feel like it's actually bugged for me or something.
I read that you have to honk before anybody gets in. But I finally managed to get three people in after that the other day and it didn't unlock for me either.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Getting shot round corners on low ping servers, then put into high ping games, challenges still not working right after their fixes. All so familiar 😑

I'm looking forward to trying the actual BR mode, LSS is alright but I don't like solo gamemodes. Would be better with overshield and camo drops reduced/removed imo.

Edit: Challenges eventually worked, wahey. I had to get 10 kills and complete 4 LSS games as my challenges. The 4 completed games tracked fine but the 10 kill one lagged behind for some reason. Even though I got 10 kills in the 3rd match itself 🤷

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm sort of not feeling Last Spartan Standing? I don't really like the level up aspect of it because if you arent one of the first people to get a kill you're basically behind the 8ball the rest of the match. I wish weapon spawns were handled via the drop pods.

Like, how is it possible for a big studio to do so many beginner mistakes? How can they not think about this kind of thing is beyond me.
Management

Almost all of the issues with 343 seem to trace back to issues that should have been filtered out by a compotent management team, which doesn't seem to exist at 343. Their entire mid/upper level management team needs to be tossed out entirely and need to start over. But unfortuantely that probably wont happen since the head of 343 is basically untouchable.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Played MP on a Series X for the first time and it's such a huge difference from playing on PC... just perfectly smooth (at 120 fps) whereas on PC its just a really uneven mess of a game. That matched up with what I had heard but actually experiencing it firsthand I'm both really impressed with the Xbox version and also more disappointed with the PC version.

Now to figure out if I want to learn how to play with a controller or hook up a keyboard and mouse to the Xbox.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Played MP on a Series X for the first time and it's such a huge difference from playing on PC... just perfectly smooth (at 120 fps) whereas on PC its just a really uneven mess of a game. That matched up with what I had heard but actually experiencing it firsthand I'm both really impressed with the Xbox version and also more disappointed with the PC version.

Now to figure out if I want to learn how to play with a controller or hook up a keyboard and mouse to the Xbox.
mouse is a detriment in this game on PC or console, stick with the controller

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
so 343 said there wouldnt be FOMO, and the weekly capstones are just literally FOMObait.

So you don't want there to be any weekly bonus items?

You might be in the minority, here.

I thought they just said there wouldn't be any season pass FOMO. And there's not, unlike most other games, since there's no time limit on the season pass.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Are you grabbing active camo? It's backsmack city in that mode. Also just play the other modes if you're this pissed off. Weekly challenges and FOMO and skinz and all that, I get it, but if it's making you this angry just don't play it. I understand your annoyance with the dilemma you're in, but is this much pain worth it for a skin?
Where does active camo spawn? I can't find it any where on the map.

I fucking hate FFA in general. I hate that I can't complete my god damned weekly without doing this stupid mode. I hate that level up shit.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Where does active camo spawn? I can't find it any where on the map.

I fucking hate FFA in general. I hate that I can't complete my god damned weekly without doing this stupid mode. I hate that level up shit.
The show up in drop pods. You can use the little scan thing to find them as well.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what the button is on PC, but if you press down on the d-pad, a scan will go out and highlight items near you. It was a feature in the campaign as well.
I checked and on my PC it's P. I don't know if I inadvertently changed something, but that's a really unergonomic binding... Unless you're a pterodactyl or something.

Edit: but personally I don't use the scanner. I find drop pods by listening where the landing sound came from and then I just look for the green light.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I read that you have to honk before anybody gets in. But I finally managed to get three people in after that the other day and it didn't unlock for me either.

Who knows, someone told me you can get it as long as you stop and honk so the indicator shows up and if a third person jumps in you get it, but clearly that's not the case for me. It's a huge pain in the ass.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Watching HiddenXperia's reviews on season 2 and he complains about no motion tracker in Last Spartan Standing:
shut-up-shut-the-fuck-up.gif

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Management

Almost all of the issues with 343 seem to trace back to issues that should have been filtered out by a compotent management team, which doesn't seem to exist at 343.

At some point, employees also share responsibilities. Management may be an issue, but management doesn't go into this kind of details such a the one I mentioned. All employees have a certain degree of agency where they can take their own decisions, check their own perimeter to ensure things are working well.

It's either they really don't have enough people to do the amount of work necessary for this kind of thing, or that at some point, employees themselves aren't implicated enough to check this kind of thing by themselves without having to be ordered to do by the upper management.

For instance, I did worked at Microsoft France as Designer, and even if Management hasn't been Microsoft's most brillant asset, we had enough freedom to take responsibilities for our own perimeters and do our own check without being interrupted or followed by the upper management. They trusted us to do what was required for the Product we worked on to be top notch and appropriate for our users.

While Management at 343 is probably a big issue, seeing all those kind of errors and little details failing there and there make me question the employees's implication as well.

----------

On another note, I recently checked Cylix to see what was coming for Season 2 in term of Event and elements to unlock, and I created several visuals for my website regarding the different Event Passes we're going to have during this season.

It's in French, but there's not much text, so feel free to use them if needed, or even just to have a look at the rewards the free pass will give you 😄

1651886226-event-pass-interference.jpg

1651886294-event-pass-alpha-pack.jpg

1651886599-fracture-entrenched.jpg

1651886749-event-pass-the-yappening.jpg

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
One of my challenges is scoring 10,000 in last man standing. I'm not doing that shit. Anyone know what that will swap out to? I hate this fucking mode and I'm not playing like 50 matches to get 10000 score. 343 has lost their minds.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
One of my challenges is scoring 10,000 in last man standing. I'm not doing that shit. Anyone know what that will swap out to? I hate this fucking mode and I'm not playing like 50 matches to get 10000 score. 343 has lost their minds.
The challenges for this event are crazy. My second challenge was get an assassination. Third is get 10 melee kills. 5th challenge is get 5 assassinations. The final one being get 50 kills. This is a complete 180 on challenge difficulty from what I had last week. I'm proabl gonna get two more challenges I have for the event and just not even try for the rest considering next week the event continues and each challenge complete will get you two rank unlocks.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember all of the event challenges that give you 300 XP, but the last one I had to do was to kill 25 spartans with melee in LSS. There was no way in hell I was going to do that, so I swapped it and got a challenge that asked me to play 6 LSS matches (which is definitely fewer matches than it would take me to get 25 melee kills).

And... yeah... once I had completed that last challenge and saw that the weekly was to play 3 LSS matches, I groaned. Loudly.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember all of the event challenges that give you 300 XP, but the last one I had to do was to kill 25 spartans with melee in LSS. There was no way in hell I was going to do that, so I swapped it and got a challenge that asked me to play 6 LSS matches (which is definitely fewer matches than it would take me to get 25 melee kills).

And... yeah... once I had completed that last challenge and saw that the weekly was to play 3 LSS matches, I groaned. Loudly.
It just shows that 343 is fucking inept when it comes to these challenges. And I hate using that language but there's no better word for it. They've had nothing but negative feedback across the board since launch for the challenge system and we get a new mode and they load it up with absolute dog shit challenges that are much worse than any challenges they've had before for other events.

I also don't think they're going to fix the challenge system itself because there's a monetization scheme tied to it and the challenges themselves like what we're seeing with LSS are absolute shit and they want people to pay for swaps. There simply no other reason to keep this horrid system in place.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay in high level ranked just feels so un-Halo. Then they pair me up with teammates who don't team shoot at all.

This is by far the worst shooter experience I have ever had.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It just shows that 343 is fucking inept when it comes to these challenges. And I hate using that language but there's no better word for it. They've had nothing but negative feedback across the board since launch for the challenge system and we get a new mode and they load it up with absolute dog shit challenges that are much worse than any challenges they've had before for other events.

I also don't think they're going to fix the challenge system itself because there's a monetization scheme tied to it and the challenges themselves like what we're seeing with LSS are absolute shit and they want people to pay for swaps. There simply no other reason to keep this horrid system in place.

Their monetization scheme is having the opposite of the desired impact- the people they want to spend money on swaps are instead Just not playing the game, and this aren't spending money.

They'll have to fix it if they have any hope of turning this game into something popular.

Oct 26, 2017

Maybe they're actually unwilling to fix it quickly because season 2 lasts 6 months. I mean, I'm already at level 15. That's 15% of the battlepass in less than 5% of the time!

If their ability to put out content outpaced the average player's ability to unlock it (without making it a slog), they'd probably be able to sell swaps without it feeling like some sort of scam. If the challenges were objectively fun but just time consuming, you could imagine a swap system to "downgrade" a challenge (since most types of challenges have different requirements depending on their tier --> 100XP, 200XP, 300XP). For instance you could use a "swap" on a 300XP challenge to downgrade its completion requirements to match its 200XP-tier counterpart (e.g., get 300XP for killing 10 spartans instead of 25). Using a "swap" on a 100XP challenge would complete it.

So yeah... I don't think that improving challenges would preclude them from offering consumables. Halo Infinite is the first F2P I've ever been invested in so I'm not really sure how other games successfully nickle-and-dime their progression system.

I mean, I think it's fair to assume that people's willingness to spend money depends on how much they're enjoying the game. The current system is unrewarding and just breeds frustration. Frustration leads to player disengagement and thus less spending. If they're keeping the current system just to earn some money as quickly as they can... it's a really shortsighted approach that'll only lead to less revenue over the lifespan of their product.

I want to believe that 343i aren't that stupid and that the reason the current system is still in place is to slow down progression (to make the lack of content less apparent) and lack of agility because of technical debt.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The battlepass is to get people to grind ur game. I dont see how they are making a ton of money off swaps (boosts or level skips, sure). The marketplace is where you make the real money.

They need a real xp system and a background challenge system like other games, where shit just kind of happens…like fortnite where you destroy objects and get a challenge done. Something that most people will be able to do throughout the season.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're actually unwilling to fix it quickly because season 2 lasts 6 months. I mean, I'm already at level 15. That's 15% of the battlepass in less than 5% of the time!

If their ability to put out content outpaced the average player's ability to unlock it (without making it a slog), they'd probably be able to sell swaps without it feeling like some sort of scam. If the challenges were objectively fun but just time consuming, you could imagine a swap system to "downgrade" a challenge (since most types of challenges have different requirements depending on their tier --> 100XP, 200XP, 300XP). For instance you could use a "swap" on a 300XP challenge to downgrade its completion requirements to match its 200XP-tier counterpart (e.g., get 300XP for killing 10 spartans instead of 25). Using a "swap" on a 100XP challenge would complete it.

So yeah... I don't think that improving challenges would preclude them from offering consumables. Halo Infinite is the first F2P I've ever been invested in so I'm not really sure how other games successfully nickle-and-dime their progression system.

I mean, I think it's fair to assume that people's willingness to spend money depends on how much they're enjoying the game. The current system is unrewarding and just breeds frustration. Frustration leads to player disengagement and thus less spending. If they're keeping the current system just to earn some money as quickly as they can... it's a really shortsighted approach that'll only lead to less revenue over the lifespan of their product.

I want to believe that 343i aren't that stupid and that the reason the current system is still in place is to slow down progression (to make the lack of content less apparent) and lack of agility because of technical debt.

People need to stop conflating the issues with the progression system with the time it takes to complete the battle pass.

There's no reason to believe that they couldn't implement a better

I mean, they are that inept. There's nothing stopping them from pacing progression, while also having a system that isn't so frustrating.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Got booted from a game by self-destructing to farm Grapple hookshot medals for a challnge. Whoops

Edit: and I got banned for 20 minutes. Nice

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the bases in Catalyst get too much traffic in games. There's so many struts, walkways and whatnot in them and people turtle. If they were simplified a bit I think people would go in the middle and sides more.

Status
Not open for further replies.