• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was just talking with some friends about this next reward, joking how we're excited to play for another week's reward again. They don't play as often as I do, so it's nice to have them back for a bit.

Then it hit us....... We are excited for a black visor. A simple black visor, and 6 months after launch, at that lol. What the hell is gaming these days.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I honestly can't with the crashing on PC at this point.

Every night I crash at least 2-3 times. I tried updating my graphics driver and that didn't do shit.

Really hoping S2 does something about this. The game's stability is just atrocious.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't with the crashing on PC at this point.

Every night I crash at least 2-3 times. I tried updating my graphics driver and that didn't do shit.

Really hoping S2 does something about this. The game's stability is just atrocious.
PC fixes is something they seem to be touting pretty heavily. So you are in luck.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
The visor does look pretty slick. I was worried that it was going to be the final Remember Reach emblem to close the season on, but I guess I miscounted.

w1uTjfV.jpg
ifm7F6C.jpg

I was also worried about the win condition, but Shock Rifle headshots count as Perfects, so that should be doable without having to linger in modes I don't like.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Can tell you there's a change coming to the player's outlines, that will be affected by the team colors for your spartan coating, and that outlines shall only be visible when you're directly aiming at the player.

Not sure when this change will be available, and if it's in its final stage, but what I've been shown is really a good deal between having the outlines for accessibility and bringing back team's colors.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
That explains a lot and makes total sense. I really wonder what scared 343 so much in Halo as it was before they inherited it that they wanted to completely change it.

I mean, wasn't it a studio make to continue Halo the way is was? Why would you inherit a Franchise if you don't really like it in the first place? What did they see in Halo they were so scared of they wanted to totally overall it?

Questions we will probably never have answers for, unless the Heads at 343 one day leave their job and openly talk about that I guess.
Russel is a bit of a different case, and 343 did have many ex Bungie people working for them during Halo 4. Paul Russel is basically one of the fathers of Halo, and having someone that old school who had a vision for his game could easily come into conflict with the people who were trying to modernize it.

You don't ask your ex husband to help you with your new baby, so to speak.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
343 did have many ex Bungie people working for them during Halo 4

Well, not much honestly, iirc, it was no more than 10 employees who left Bungie for 343, and not all of them were designers, artists or programmers, only Vic Deleon joined as an artist to work on Halo 4, Shishka wasn't really a designer at that time and mostly a QA tester, others were from the publishing team.

You don't ask your ex husband to help you with your new baby, so to speak.

But you would ask your baby's father to help having guidance for them to growth for a transition phase, wouldn't you?

I know you appreciate Halo 4 as well as 343's art direction which you actually mixed well with Bungie's in SPV, which isn't really my case, so I'm by no mean trying to change your mind, but that's something we won't really find an agreement here. I thought The Coalition for example was a much more appropriate approach to handling an existing licence and having it do a slow and progressive transition.

GalaxyPixel

Jun 21, 2021
I tried so hard to like this game but at the end of the day I just couldn't. The shooting feels so antiquated and lack luster compared to the more popular shooters like Apex or even Warzone. I just couldn't rid myself of the feeling that Halo will just never be what it was when I was a kid. Its shooting and feel has not changed for 20 years.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Well, not much honestly, iirc, it was no more than 10 employees who left Bungie for 343, and not all of them were designers, artists or programmers, only Vic Deleon joined as an artist to work on Halo 4, Shishka wasn't really a designer at that time and mostly a QA tester, others were from the publishing team.

But you would ask your baby's father to help having guidance for them to growth for a transition phase, wouldn't you?

I know you appreciate Halo 4 as well as 343's art direction which you actually mixed well with Bungie's in SPV, which isn't really my case, so I'm by no mean trying to change your mind, but that's something we won't really find an agreement here. I thought The Coalition for example was a much more appropriate approach to handling an existing licence and having it do a slow and progressive transition.
At this stage, I am not confident in how many people went there but I was under the impression it was a lot more than 10. That said I do agree with you that some more guidance may have been needed. But it's also hard to remember that at the time, Halo 3 had lost ground to COD, ODST, Wars and Reach weren't really exciting people outside the general fanbase. The games of the time were going more realistic, darker, more focused on many of the things that 4 did. They had tried more of the same with Halo 3, and then tried mixing it up with Reach where the reception was sort of lukewarm as well and numbers. So a change in the direction and vision did seem necessary at the time. I am sure from many of their perspectives, someone wanting to reign them in was the last thing they wanted or thought the franchise needed.

I do like H4, but it also came out and was more mature than the games that preceded it which these days is a negative and clearly rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. For me I liked it since I always liked the more mature Halo stuff to start and never liked how it got more Star Warsy with Halo 2. On top of it all, they were time and resource constrained by the 360 and it had to also be designed so the assets would usable for next gen systems and live action, which seriously hurt them. And the cut missions made the story flaws worse plus the last minute changes to move the terminals off the disc.

Jan 6, 2022
Can tell you there's a change coming to the player's outlines, that will be affected by the team colors for your spartan coating, and that outlines shall only be visible when you're directly aiming at the player.

Not sure when this change will be available, and if it's in its final stage, but what I've been shown is really a good deal between having the outlines for accessibility and bringing back team's colors.
Interesting, thanks for sharing! It sounds like you're a fan of the implementation?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Played for the first time in close to 3 weeks and yeah, this game is bad. Its incredible that 343i has done nothing to fix the networking. What a disappointment this game is after 5.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
At this stage, I am not confident in how many people went there but I was under the impression it was a lot more than 10.

I wasn't totally sure so I did some research, and it seems it was maybe less than 10 actually:

1651062642-image-2022-04-27-143037.jpg

Seems like it was in fact 4 employees, if you include Frank O'Connor, as Shishka left for 343, as well as Vic Delon and Seth Gibson. Maybe what is blurring the lines is that many 343 employees joined Bungie during Halo Reach so they could help produce the game and learn how to do a Halo game, then they came back to 343.

Sorry the picture is in French, it's from a book called "Halo: Bungie's space opera", which I'm not sure has been translated in english yet. It's by Third Editions and it's a really great book about Halo whole history, focusing more on the design and production aspect of the game, since its inception at Bungie and to the day it left for 343 Industries: https://www.thirdeditions.com/sagas/212-halo-le-space-opera-selon-bungie-9782377840700.html

The games of the time were going more realistic, darker, more focused on many of the things that 4 did. They had tried more of the same with Halo 3, and then tried mixing it up with Reach where the reception was sort of lukewarm as well and numbers. So a change in the direction and vision did seem necessary at the time. I am sure from many of their perspectives, someone wanting to reign them in was the last thing they wanted or thought the franchise needed.

True, you're definitely right here and I didn't really see things under that light. 343's changes for Halo 4 may have been a consequence of Reach being less popular than Halo 3, thinking the formula wasn't what players wanted anymore and tho, the need to modernize it.

It's an interesting take, one I can totally understand, and I agree. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting, thanks for sharing! It sounds like you're a fan of the implementation?

I am. As a designer with an almost blind father, I'm all for accessibility and that's why I think outlines is actually a good idea, it's just the actual implementation which seems to hurt the game design and needed some tweak to favor both disable and not disable players.

Main complains I had with the current outline implementation were:

- Being active all the time and from all distances, it creates way too much noise on screen, making it difficult for the player to focus on what's happening in from of them without being distracted by other point of interest on their screen
- It hurts the ability for player to sneak around the map like we could do in other games, as even being bushes, the outlines will be visible and you can be spotted from anywhere on the map, from close to long to long rang.
- On a purely aesthetic PoV, it prevented me from fully immerse myself into the game and enjoy the overall art and visual tone of the game (but this one is purely personal ofc)

The new implementation seems to be a good balance between allowing players needing outlines to still have them and get a sense of needed help, while not hurting the game design (at least not too much). Sure, you could still get spotted from far, but the player will at least need to search around and aim at you to see where you are, rather than seeing you in their peripheral vision and knowing exactly where you are without doing any effort.

Also, I just love the ease of use of Red vs Blue haha.

Tho, we're not really sure if it will be a default implementation for the outlines or a setting available in the game modes directly. You could have full outlines in BTB and have this setting enable for Infection only for example.

So far, it seems to be the later, but finger crossed it will be the default implementation with the ability to go back to the full outlines settings in the game mode rather than the opposite.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't totally sure so I did some research, and it seems it was maybe less than 10 actually:

Seems like it was in fact 4 employees, if you include Frank O'Connor, as Shishka left for 343, as well as Vic Delon and Seth Gibson. Maybe what is blurring the lines is that many 343 employees joined Bungie during Halo Reach so they could help produce the game and learn how to do a Halo game, then they came back to 343.

Sorry the picture is in French, it's from a book called "Halo: Bungie's space opera", which I'm not sure has been translated in english yet. It's by Third Editions and it's a really great book about Halo whole history, focusing more on the design and production aspect of the game, since its inception at Bungie and to the day it left for 343 Industries: https://www.thirdeditions.com/sagas/212-halo-le-space-opera-selon-bungie-9782377840700.html

True, you're definitely right here and I didn't really see things under that light. 343's changes for Halo 4 may have been a consequence of Reach being less popular than Halo 3, thinking the formula wasn't what players wanted anymore and tho, the need to modernize it.

It's an interesting take, one I can totally understand, and I agree. Thanks for sharing!

I am. As a designer with an almost blind father, I'm all for accessibility and that's why I think outlines is actually a good idea, it's just the actual implementation which seems to hurt the game design and needed some tweak to favor both disable and not disable players.

- Being active all the time and from all distances, it creates way too much noise on screen, making it difficult for the player to focus on what's happening in from of them without being distracted by other point of interest on their screen
- It hurts the ability for player to sneak around the map like we could do in other games, as even being bushes, the outlines will be visible and you can be spotted from anywhere on the map, from close to long to long rang.
- On a purely aesthetic PoV, it prevented me from fully immerse myself into the game and enjoy the overall art and visual tone of the game (but this one is purely personal ofc)

The new implementation seems to be a good balance between allowing players needing outlines to still have them and get a sense of needed help, while not hurting the game design (at least not too much). Sure, you could still get spotted from far, but the player will at least need to search around and aim at you to see where you are, rather than seeing you in their peripheral vision and knowing exactly where you are without doing any effort.

Tho, we're not really sure if it will be a default implementation for the outlines or a setting available in the game modes directly. You could have full outlines in BTB and have this setting enable for Infection only for example.

So far, it seems to be the later, but finger crossed it will be the default implementation with the ability to go back to the full outlines settings in the game mode rather than the opposite.
I'm going to have to check this book out, and hopefully be able to run it through a translator. Do you know if it's available in epub anywhere? I think I may have spoken to the author a while back actually as I remember he was European and had interesting insight that Halo was doing more poorly in the EU partially due to how heavily 343 was pushing the marketing in a way that seemed very similar to military recruitment ads.

Jan 6, 2022

Thanks for elaborating. I thought the outline option would eventually be bound on a player-by-player basis, so some people can use outlines and some can use the classic RvB. Are you saying that you think it may be bound to modes?

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember it as only a handful of Bungie employees went to 343, definitely not over 10. Could be mistaken, but I recall that being an peculiar point of discussion back then.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why service tags are in the game. Feels like they're only there because they were in older games, but they existed in those games to be able to identify teammates at a glance -- this game doesn't do that, opting instead to show their full gamertag at all times. So they kind of do nothing.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
At this stage, I am not confident in how many people went there but I was under the impression it was a lot more than 10. That said I do agree with you that some more guidance may have been needed. But it's also hard to remember that at the time, Halo 3 had lost ground to COD, ODST, Wars and Reach weren't really exciting people outside the general fanbase. The games of the time were going more realistic, darker, more focused on many of the things that 4 did. They had tried more of the same with Halo 3, and then tried mixing it up with Reach where the reception was sort of lukewarm as well and numbers. So a change in the direction and vision did seem necessary at the time. I am sure from many of their perspectives, someone wanting to reign them in was the last thing they wanted or thought the franchise needed.

I do like H4, but it also came out and was more mature than the games that preceded it which these days is a negative and clearly rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. For me I liked it since I always liked the more mature Halo stuff to start and never liked how it got more Star Warsy with Halo 2. On top of it all, they were time and resource constrained by the 360 and it had to also be designed so the assets would usable for next gen systems and live action, which seriously hurt them. And the cut missions made the story flaws worse plus the last minute changes to move the terminals off the disc.

I'd just like to point out that Halo 3 was the top Xbox live game every year until Reach came out.

The change in direction that was Reach contributed to the series' inability to standout amongst titles like COD. CODs strategy of doubling down on what they were good at is the superior strategy for long running franchises.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I havent gotten banned for leaving social games ever and i quit a ton of games a few weeks ago to do a stockpile challenge. Like over 25 probably.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Back when I was playing I would get banned anytime I did it, even in social. Meanwhile friends I'd be playing with who were doing the same wouldn't. Seemed really inconsistent.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'd just like to point out that Halo 3 was the top Xbox live game every year until Reach came out.

The change in direction that was Reach contributed to the series' inability to standout amongst titles like COD. CODs strategy of doubling down on what they were good at is the superior strategy for long running franchises.
3 would trade spots month to month with COD, but because there were multiple COD games occupying top spots it's a fair assessment that there were overall more COD players than Halo players, despite 3 being high up there. You also had games like mass effect nipping at the heels of the people who wanted cool space/sci-fi stories then, gears on the PVE survival mode fronts as well. Not that 3 wasn't popular, but other franchises were all chewing away at its base and each was starting to do things better than halo in their respective areas.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
3 would trade spots month to month with COD, but because there were multiple COD games occupying top spots it's a fair assessment that there were overall more COD players than Halo players, despite 3 being high up there. You also had games like mass effect nipping at the heels of the people who wanted cool space/sci-fi stories then, gears on the PVE survival mode fronts as well. Not that 3 wasn't popular, but other franchises were all chewing away at its base and each was starting to do things better than halo in their respective areas.
It would trade months, but it was always top dog annually.

With all the things nipping at Halo's heals, it never stopped being unique enough to remain top dog.

If anything, the presence of multiple call of duty titles on the list cannibalizing CODs position would be an indication that becoming yet another COD title isn't the path to maintaining Halo's position.

What needed to happen is Halo becomes better at being a Halo game. Double down on what made Halo desirable in the first place. Mass Effect should have been a push to tell a better self contained story… instead H4 was tough to consume w/o additional reading. Gears and COD zombies should have been a push to get better with PvE. Spartan Ops was a regression. Minecraft should have been a push to do better on UGC. Forge stagnated and discovery was never improved upon. And lastly they should have doubled down on Halo's signature gameplay rather than moving away from it.

343s answer to other games doing what Halo historically did well was to move away from what Halo historically well, while poorly copying what other games did well.

It's was a bad strategy that never made sense. Especially not when looking at the rest of the market.

Last edited:

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to have to check this book out, and hopefully be able to run it through a translator. Do you know if it's available in epub anywhere? I think I may have spoken to the author a while back actually as I remember he was European and had interesting insight that Halo was doing more poorly in the EU partially due to how heavily 343 was pushing the marketing in a way that seemed very similar to military recruitment ads.

You're asking at the right time! They (the Publisher) recently run a Kickstarter operation to translate the book in English, and they reached their goal, so it will be translated and shall be available by November according to their timeline.

It's a big book, more than 500 pages, not illustrations, only text, and it's very well documented, learning so many details from the production since Halo CE and all the things, bad and good, which happened at Bungie during those times. It's also deeply linked to the history of Xbox, both the brand and console, and it goes to what happened at Microsoft at that very same time.

I can't recommend it enough.

I thought the outline option would eventually be bound on a player-by-player basis, so some people can use outlines and some can use the classic RvB. Are you saying that you think it may be bound to modes?

For now, it seems to be bound to modes, and it wasn't an option we could switch on and off, it was just how the mode used launched and was built. My guess is that players will have the ability to customize the outlines from the settings, aka tickness, opacity and such, but the modes coming along the way could affect those settings individually, or force them.

Interesting thing is that 343 is using what they call an "Engine" (not Engine as Splitspace) which allow them to deeply root gameplay mechanic within the mode. For example, the mod we used had the switching grenade UI from the campaign, even if it was a multiplayer mode.

It means that for Infection for example, they could very well disable outlines, force a coating/color for a given team, so on and on.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
God I hope so, the "armor core" idea always seemed so goofy to me.

With the recent leaks on how this was originally supposed to be an Overwatch clone they make more sense. Each armor core was going to be a different "Spartan hero" we could choose that had different looks and abilities, so once the hero shooter concept was dead they probably had to keep the armor cores intact at the beginning to meet the release deadline and just figured over time they can loosen the restrictions.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Season 2 Community Livestream is starting now - https://www.twitch.tv/halo

Edit: They showed a clip of the new outline stuff, you can disable outlines completely by turning slider down to 0.

They're gonna be talking about feedback and discussing S2. Joseph Staten is coming in soon to talk about S2 narrative events and Jerry Hook is gonna talk about S2 battle pass.

Last edited:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Guess who kept doing that and still didn't get a CTF or stronghold match

YD7yZGu.png

This guuuy
Once you find the match, press select to bring up the roster so you can see what map and game type you got. If you don't like it then just close out of the game before the match fully loads.

Also you can do those challenges in the bot playlist unless it states pvp

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Stick a fork in me, I'm done with Season 1!

halotracker.com

MouldyK's Profile Overview

A quick glance of MouldyK's Halo Infinite statistics.

Play Time on Stat Page: 212 Hours

Play Time on Xbox: 13 Days, 10 Hours...or 322 Hours

Kills and Deaths
  • Kills: 12,866
  • Deaths: 13,568
  • K/D Ratio: 0.95
Matches:
  • Matches: 1,359
  • Matches Won: 599
  • Matches Lost: 682
  • Matches DNF: 63
  • Win%: 44.1%

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Only 5-6K viewers watching the S2 breakdown is a little disheartening but it was also streamed during the day in the middle of the work week.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting absolutley shit on by challenges.

Get 5 mangler kills. 3 of them didn't count.
Play 5 FFA matches
Get a warthog gunner kill
Headshot an enemy while zoomed in on the sniper rifle
10 Stalker Rifle Kills
Play a CTF match

etc

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Oh shit, what's the ban limit?? I've yet to be banned and I feel like I've done it often.

There must be a refresh timer on bans lol.
I've got banned multiple times for doing that. Usually the ban timer is like 15-30 minutes. But yeah I can go over 20 tries not finding the game mode I need. Feels almost like the game is actively against you getting the games you need to complete a challenge to use a challenge swap.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting absolutley shit on by challenges.

Get 5 mangler kills. 3 of them didn't count. --> Aside from it not counting, easy
Play 5 FFA matches --> Easy
Get a warthog gunner kill --> Easy, just drive in a Hog then switch to the Gunner for the kill
Headshot an enemy while zoomed in on the sniper rifle --> Easy, though more skill-based
10 Stalker Rifle Kills --> Easy
Play a CTF match --> Using the matchmaking trick, easy

etc
I'd love these challenges over stuff like "Kill the flag carrier 3 times" when no one holds the flag in my matches lol; everyone's juggling. The "win X amount of (BTB mode)" and "Kill enemies capturing your zone" etc. are bad too.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love these challenges over stuff like "Kill the flag carrier 3 times" when no one holds the flag in my matches lol; everyone's juggling. The "win X amount of (BTB mode)" and "Kill enemies capturing your zone" etc. are bad too.

Whats the matchmaking trick?

I just hate these for making me play shit I dont want. Ive had 4 tactical slayer challenges. Fuck that mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.