• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
You can't be serious. Demonizing 343 for this is a bit much. They're just trying to get people to tune in.

I'm 100% serious. I'm not blaming them for wanting to push the viewership of their Event and awarding cool stuff for the ones watching them, but I honestly think they're playing the devil by asking for so much time compared to the 1 hour of previous event (which was still a lot since you needed to unlock each item individually).

If you don't have the backdrop, you'll need 9 hours in total to get everything. Not that you need to watch them directly, there're many possibilities to avoid doing that like putting the stream at 140p and launching it in background, but it doesn't stop the energy waste.

Is hosting tournaments at all irresponsible then because of the people who watch all day?

If you go this way, I would say even us typing message here is irresponsable and wasting energy haha. I don't know if that translates well in English, but in French, it's called reasoning by the absurd.

In all seriousness, I think we can all make the difference between the event itself, and the amount of time they ask people to watch it to unlock stuff. I'm mostly targeting this because a lot of people will stream the event with the settings I mentioned above, just to unlock the stuff, and actually don't give a damn about the event itself.

That's not a rant against the people who will be willingly watching the HCS Kansas City because they enjoy it. :)

I'm not blaming or judging anyone here if you're okay with this, that's a personal opinion I'm sharing since I feel like they are asking way too much commitment, and doing something which goes against the wasteless politic Microsoft and Xbox are heading to.

Halo isn't the only series in games doing this, and many bigger games are doing this kind of thing at a far larger level for way longer.

Mostly targeting Halo here, and 343, because it goes against the recent action from their parent company (and because it's a Halo thread). Doesn't mean it's more ethic for other companies to do so, but at least, those companies didn't make a statement about going carbon 0 and energy wasteless.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Instead of forcing people to watch 7 hours out of FOMO on cosmetics they could work on actually making a compelling broadcast for people to watch simply because they want to.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
It does trigger that fomo set of neurons in some of us. It's effective.
From a business intention perspective, it's a mechanic to get people to watch.
It's a less harmful example of what the challenge + event / weekly system also is.

So while not as passionate as Juan's take, I do ultimately agree.
It fits into that gatcha-esc set of mechanics around manipulating user behaviour.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Y'all… just have it on a separate tab or playing in the background on your phone muted. You're hardly putting in any effort and don't need to do it. I don't understand the fomo nonsense lol

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all… just have it on a separate tab or playing in the background on your phone muted. You're hardly putting in any effort and don't need to do it. I don't understand the fomo nonsense lol

Yea, seriously. I just put it on another monitor or iPad while I work or do chores around the house. Pretty easy to get for the most part.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, seriously. I just put it on another monitor or iPad while I work or do chores around the house. Pretty easy to get for the most part.
For real. I was just wondering why they were requiring so much time for the unlock but it's no reason to get mad about. For every unlock I have gotten so far I have just put it on my phone on silent and just let it play while I do other things. It's really not that big of a deal.

I'm old school and actually watch the matches, I guess.
If you can get into it they can be a blast to watch. I used to watch MLG back in the day and enjoyed it a lot. But it's not my thing anymore so I don't really care for the HCS stuff.

Jan 6, 2022

The two tweets here are just confirmation of things that Jez has said verbally prior, but I thought it might be helpful nonetheless. Ramping the hiring is a good thing, and Certain Affinity is also trying to hire a shitton of people

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
That's a fantastic parody post, Juan. Going in the hall of fame for sure.

If you're able to one day use my message as a template in a different context, you will at least achieve to entertain me. 😄

Y'all… just have it on a separate tab or playing in the background on your phone muted.

For every unlock I have gotten so far I have just put it on my phone on silent and just let it play while I do other things.

That is not an attack against neither of you, but your messages are proving my point regarding the waste of energy given the attention equal to zero you're giving to the actual show for some questionable rewards.

That the environmental cost of such practice isn't a concern to all of us is a personal thing, and I'm not blaming anyone who's not really caring about this kind of issue (even if I think we all should at some point in our life, on different level), as my point was mostly regarding the direction Microsoft and Xbox are heading in this field, and so should the companies they own.

And on another level, I as well agree with Zeouter points regarding the predatory aspect of such things. That it is easy to do isn't really the point (I think), it's more a reflection of the practices that are actually plaguing Halo Infinite in regard to the challenges and progression system and manipulating user behaviors.

I'm honestly surprised this kind of thing seems globally accepted, but again, that was not to individually point anyone of you.

Ramping the hiring is a good thing, and Certain Affinity is also trying to hire a shitton of people

This kind of thing is really confirming my opinion that Halo Infinite was never expected to ship as a F2P and GaaS service from the get-go, and it was a decision taken during the year the game reported.

Clearly, neither the staff nor their tech were ready for the demanding aspect of a GaaS, but if true regarding Microsoft, it's a good thing they are okay to staff up 343 Industries to help Infinite achieve is GaaS potential rather than saying the current state is a failure and so abandoning the game.

As always, I do have faith the game we will have by 2023 will be a very different beast, and an enjoyable one I think, the only thing I'll always be worried about is 343 mentality, especially given their recent blogpost explaining us how things are working as intended, no matter if the community is enjoying them or not, and that they don't plan to change what they think is good for the game, when it doesn't seem to.

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
Juan

I agree with what you're saying. To be fair I think it works both ways as the stream gets numbers, and the viewer gets game content - seems fair to me.

For me personally I'm not sure how much time I can dedicate to the broadcast to make it my "main focus" as I've become older now compared to the Halo 2/3 days. If I can support the stream, and also get content for me in Halo - I look it as a win for everyone involved.

At the end of the day its just video games and additional content for fans. I don't think anyone is getting hurt by it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
If you're able to one day use my message as a template in a different context, you will at least achieve to entertain me. 😄

That is not an attack against neither of you, but your messages are proving my point regarding the waste of energy given the attention equal to zero you're giving to the actual show for some questionable rewards.

That the environmental cost of such practice isn't a concern to all of us is a personal thing, and I'm not blaming anyone who's not really caring about this kind of issue (even if I think we all should at some point in our life, on different level), as my point was mostly regarding the direction Microsoft and Xbox are heading in this field, and so should the companies they own.

And on another level, I as well agree with Zeouter points regarding the predatory aspect of such things. That it is easy to do isn't really the point (I think), it's more a reflection of the practices that are actually plaguing Halo Infinite in regard to the challenges and progression system and manipulating user behaviors.

I'm honestly surprised this kind of thing seems globally accepted, but again, that was not to individually point anyone of you.

This kind of thing is really confirming my opinion that Halo Infinite was never expected to ship as a F2P and GaaS service from the get-go, and it was a decision taken during the year the game reported.

Clearly, neither the staff nor their tech were ready for the demanding aspect of a GaaS, but if true regarding Microsoft, it's a good thing they are okay to staff up 343 Industries to help Infinite achieve is GaaS potential rather than saying the current state is a failure and so abandoning the game.

As always, I do have faith the game we will have by 2023 will be a very different beast, and an enjoyable one I think, the only thing I'll always be worried about is 343 mentality, especially given their recent blogpost explaining us how things are working as intended, no matter if the community is enjoying them or not, and that they don't plan to change what they think is good for the game, when it doesn't seem to.
I feel like you're overestimating how much energy is used by an audio stream playing in the background on a phone (especially when the phone is muted).

You can do that while you use your phone normally or your computer normally, which many are likely to be doing while this event goes on. Thus no energy is really being wasted. If you're running a bunch of hardware solely to idle the stream You're probably a very small percentage

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the vE part doesnt make me sleep. (Jez did say he wasnt sure about the pvE part)

Infinite back on top of MCC on steam. Didnt even need S2 to dethrone bungie 💅

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the sentiment but I have a thousand tabs open on Firefox any given moment, having another one open isn't going to kill the planet.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

New Playlist Rotations: Rumble Pit (Day 1), Social Skirmish, Social Slayer, Team Snipers, Team Doubles and more (Social only, not ranked)

New modes (some being LTM): Ninja Slayer (grapples and swords), Vampireball (Oddball where smacking with skull is a 1 hit kill and gives you shields), Rocket Repulsors, in addition to the already known Land Grab, KOTH, and LSS.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

New Playlist Rotations: Rumble Pit (Day 1), Social Skirmish, Social Slayer, Team Snipers, Team Doubles and more (Social only, not ranked)

New modes (some being LTM): Ninja Slayer (grapples and swords), Vampireball (Oddball where smacking with skull is a 1 hit kill and gives you shields), Rocket Repulsors, in addition to the already known Land Grab, KOTH, and LSS.

The linked blog page is really chock full of information and includes motivations. Hopefully everyone reads it. Very impressed with the level of communication.

www.halowaypoint.com

Season 2: Modes Preview

<p>Let’s take a deep dive into the new modes and variants coming in Season 2 of Halo Infinite – King of the Hill, Land Grab, Last Spartan Standing, and more!</p>

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
having another one open isn't going to kill the planet.

Definitely not, I agree; but you know, it's the little things, added on top of each others, which make a difference, being positive or negative. On an individual level, it's not much, but add that to thousands of people doing it, for multiple events, and this kind of wasting philosophy is what is harming us all in the grand scheme of thing.

And again, it was mostly because I'm quite surprised they do that since Microsoft and Xbox committed to a wasteless and carbon 0 footprint politic.

Bungie killed Halo in 2004.
343 killed Earth in 2022.

And you killed what is probably one of your best joke by removing that little "OP" on your avatar. :p

The linked blog page is really chock full of information and includes motivations. Hopefully everyone reads it. Very impressed with the level of communication.

www.halowaypoint.com

Season 2: Modes Preview

<p>Let’s take a deep dive into the new modes and variants coming in Season 2 of Halo Infinite – King of the Hill, Land Grab, Last Spartan Standing, and more!</p>

It's cool and welcomed, but I can't shake my mind that 343 Industries is relaying a bit too much on "Capture the zones" variants. It's pretty much all of the same with slight variations there and there, with a different name and a dedicated game mode.

It's okay, but I don't know, I don't really feel like it brings much creativity and novelty to the game.

That said, I can't wait to play on those modes and have something new to enjoy Halo Infinite's gameplay! One thing I'm not sure I totally got is about the Last Spartan Standing: do you happen to select your weapon's upgrade like the somehow kill-streak we had with Halo 4, selecting what you wanted with the D-Pad and having an ordnance drop in front of you, or not at all?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's cool and welcomed, but I can't shake my mind that 343 Industries is relaying a bit too much on "Capture the zones" variants. It's pretty much all of the same with slight variations there and there, with a different name and a dedicated game mode.

It's okay, but I don't know, I don't really feel like it brings much creativity and novelty to the game.

Yeah, I kinda agree with this. KotH is a staple and a welcome addition but Land Grab just seems like a KotH/Strongholds mix and not that exciting. Luckily, this is offset by Last Spartan Standing which is gonna be a dope new mode plus a bunch of old favorites like Rumble Pit, Team Snipers, Team Doubles, and some much needed fun, casual game modes throughout the season like Ninja Slayer and Rocket Repulsors, too.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I hope 343 shared some insight on Campaign Co-op just to placate the doubters that it's coming. Like just a little clip of co-op functioning / how it handles transitions and saves and leashing and all that.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Prinz Eugn, do you and any of the old GAF squad that we used to run games with back in H5 play Infinite or not really? I don't see many people on from my friend's list that I still have added. FATstronaut is probably the one I see most active but I don't think he posts here, same with ExWife.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Prinz Eugn, do you and any of the old GAF squad that we used to run games with back in H5 play Infinite or not really? I don't see many people on from my friend's list that I still have added. FATstronaut is probably the one I see most active but I don't think he posts here, same with ExWife.

Yeah, I play with ExWife, daedalius, and TCKaos (BasedRegalia) most weekends, generally Friday evenings. Play with Fat occasionally, too. But it's definitely not as much as I used to.

Last weekend we switched to MCC though to take a break from Infinite. I don't hate infinite, but Big Team especially gets frustrating fast.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yeah, I play with ExWife, daedalius, and TCKaos (BasedRegalia) most weekends, generally Friday evenings. Play with Fat occasionally, too. But it's definitely not as much as I used to.

Last weekend we switched to MCC though to take a break from Infinite. I don't hate infinite, but Big Team especially gets frustrating fast.

Oh yeah, I remember daedalius and Kaos, too. I'll have to see if I can join you guys next time you play.

The H5 days were fun, but I can see how Infinite can get boring currently playing the same 3 BTB maps over and over. Forge + CA's mode should spice things back up though and hopefully gets people to play more frequently again.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Those new modes sound great, especially the Ninja mode and Rocket Repulsors!!
Any idea what would happen to a save with scorpion equipped after patch?

Not sure when I want to try the laso run. But I don't think I'd do it without the cannon.
I'm wondering the same. I just cleared the first level and it was surprisingly fun (but also frustrating in parts). My hope is that I'll be able to breeze through it once I'm done with level 2 and get a hold of the Scorpion gun.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those new modes sound great, especially the Ninja mode and Rocket Repulsors!!

I'm wondering the same. I just cleared the first level and it was surprisingly fun (but also frustrating in parts). My hope is that I'll be able to breeze through it once I'm done with level 2 and get a hold of the Scorpion gun.

Once you get the scorpion gun it becomes a joke, especially with the level skips. It took me like 5 hours to complete my SLASO run.

I can see why 343 wants to remove it, tho it would be cool if they put it elsewhere in the game

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty slick, I'm gonna nab it

69l999W.png

Ohhhhh this is actually nice, I might try to get this one. Best weekly reward in awhile.

Oct 25, 2017
ya know, i was completely in for 3 to 3 months seasons after the really weak season 1, but this is just a complete disaster. i'll still be playing, but, uh, yeah, i don't think Infinite will recover at all.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Before committing to a ten year plan you should probably try to do one right.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
You know how Activision had, like, all their studios working on COD? Microsoft needs a studio or two dedicated to just making MP maps for Infinite. This is borderline outrageous.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
They will indeed definitely need those Twitch Drops to keep Halo having some viewership...

Honestly, this is quite ridiculous, this game was really not ready to ship, and needed another year to be in a normal state. I don't have any words to add, I don't really know what to say.

1 year. 2 new maps. 3 modes.

What a live service.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol live service game
In their first entire year they will have released brand new content… once. Equating to two new maps and monetization items.
GG

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh. I can only laugh to keep from crying.

This studios legacy is fumbling the bag...

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I think the biggest takeaway from this is their "priority zero" approach to their studio. Lots of people have left and many positions are still open and need to be filled, so I do think they are understaffed to properly handle the scope of this game currently and what is expected of them with having to juggle their tremendous tech debt while also providing new content on a continual basis.

They are "aggressively looking at ways to accelerate" aka going on a hiring spree to more evenly distribute the workload and crank things out faster. As of now, they either continue "priority zero" making sure their employees are physically and mentally healthy or drag them into hell and work 15 hour days, 6 days a week. In a perfect world, they could have the "priority zero" approach and also crank out content as fast as Fortnite, but that's just unrealistic.

Having them just go completely open beta with Forge is also a telling sign. They know their content output is dire, so they want the community to have the Forge toolset as quickly as possible so we can begin to make our own content while we wait for the official stuff. Basically, I expect Forge to start rather basic with lots of bugs and over time have to evolve through the open beta with updates along the way. A crazy contrast to where we originally thought a fully functioning Forge would be present around August/September. Even Season 3 has Forge listed as an open beta still, meaning it won't fully be launched until sometime in 2023.

Another huge issue I see is nowhere saying they are looking into and fixing the desync issues that continue to plague this game. I just have to assume they label that as a Quality of Life improvement, however desync is such a huge issue you would think they would label that as an entirely separate category letting us know some sort of fix is on the way. Their monthly "Drop Pods" is not terrible and is at least better than their update/patch cadence in Season 1.

I'm also hoping that even though Season 2 begins with only two new maps that over the course of the season we might see an additional map or two and other game modes, or just other things that can be brought in when ready and it's just not officially announced yet. We just have to hope Certain Affinity's mode is still on target for this Fall which would greatly alleviate content issues, however who knows if that is now also delayed until sometime in 2023.

Regardless, this is just wholly disappointing news, no other way to slice it.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
The lack of content is indeed frustrating, but not nearly as frustrating as the netcode being completely jank and 5 months into this game's life its still not fixed.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
They saw my post about the Avalanche successor having more gray rocks and they rightfully delayed season 3 to add in glaciers. You will all thank me later.

Oct 31, 2017
The lack of content is indeed frustrating, but not nearly as frustrating as the netcode being completely jank and 5 months into this game's life its still not fixed.
The two together is what makes it all so frustrating for me, like a critical death blow for my interest. That together, the dearth of content AND the wonkiness of the backend, screams "this product wasn't ready". If the game's internals were actually incredibly consistent and satisfying, then I would be way more tolerant of the lack of content and things to keep me invested. But that's just it, the game's internals are incredibly inconsistent and unsatisfying on top of lacking in content.

And it's extra annoying because there IS a good game in here, it's just mired by a ton of issues small and large.

As someone who went out and bought a Series X pretty much exclusively for this game, just like I did with the last gen Xbox nd H5, I'm just so fucking disappointed.

I feel like a fucking sucker for buying a Series X last Fall for Infinite considering how it's been for me and how it looks to be for the next year. I know some people have said that they are glad we got the game we got when we did, cause they've enjoyed themselves, and that's great for them. I've had some fun with this game too. But if I would have known this was how the game was going to be for what's seeming like a year after initial launch, then I could have very easily waited and I WOULD have waited. It would have saved me $500+ dollars, and maybe by the point the game is in a state that I actually truly enjoy, I could have nabbed a Series X more easily and potentially at a cheaper price. No wonder MS wanted it out the door if it meant that there were a non-insignificant amount of people like me where Infinite drove XSX sales last Fall.

It also really sucks because I've been waiting for this game for years too, since I quit H5 in 2018-19 or whenever I finally tapered off. That Halo is one of the extremely few multiplayer games that I even give the time of day to, yet with how it is right now and with how things are going, I have basically no desire to play it. And that sucks. I want to love this game. I want to play it everyday and feel excited and satisfied, but I just don't.

Guess I'm just going to keep waiting an indeterminate length until they really get the things that bother me about it figured out.

Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.