• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished all Tactical Slayer weekly challenges, now I don't have to play it anymore!

200w.gif

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Fair, though I'd say your example is also my clearest cut version of why the current system is unusable. Trying to switch between threat sensor and grapple hook in the middle of that fight was the worst feeling moment in that whole game, as it felt like a failure of control design, rather than an issue with my skills.

Yeah I definitely struggled with the equipment controls for a while too, and the UI indicators in the HUD are so tiny that they're not any help. With the grenades I just kinda gave up, because even if you do remember, you have no idea which grenades you have on hand.

It's admittedly the most clunky part of the campaign, I'm not just not convinced a wheel would be much better. In order for that to be efficient you'd still be memorizing the placement on the wheel (up/down/left/right), which is kinda the same thing as now imo.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Why does it feel like almost every match I get I get at least one person on my team who just... Can't play? I had a match of team slayer and by the end 3 of us had 10+ kills, but then we had a guy who got 1 kill the entire match, and it was the same thing on the enemy team too, they won with 3 of them having 10+ kills, and then one guy with 3 kills by the end. It happens a lot, I don't really get it. I get that not everybody is gonna be amazing at the game, but I just find it odd that it very consistently throws one really not good player in on each team composed of generally good/competent players, at least ime.

My bad - you're probably matching with me on my first two games of the day. Finally got warmed up mid-FFA today, started 0-7, creeped back to tie with a Hail Mary grenade with 0:01 on the clock, then annoyed someone massively with the win, lmao. I hate letting teammates down and knowing I'm better than this : (

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only game where I've had to utilize training. There are times when I can just slay with the BR, and then there are games where I have trouble landing that final shot. Then I pop into training and just force myself to get perfects in a row on a spartan level bot lol.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I'm really bummed about the whole 343 store thing right now, and there's zero excitement to be had from that battlepass I bought Day 1... but the gameplay is ace.

And they truly, and I mean truly nailed the campaign. Even made me not hate Guardians retroactively. Guardians are now as legitimate as any entry and I won't feel bad replaying it in the future. Infinite is awesome.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

I hate how you fire a rocket, get killed while it's in-flight, and it just disappears before impact.
These two things together explain a lot. I knew something was off with the rocket launcher and would notice the quadshot or whatever it replaced the brute shot having shots that would just "disappear" when I died. Now I know why.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Playing on heroic and the fight near the end with Escharum is
absolutely kicking my arse. Managed to get to the final phase (grav hammer) and found a nice way to avoid him by swinging across the ceiling but .... then I ran out of ammo on both my guns and going to get another just results in my death as I get squished by his hammer. Argh.

Any advice ? Am probably going to drop it to normal

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Playing on heroic and the fight near the end with Escharum is
absolutely kicking my arse. Managed to get to the final phase (grav hammer) and found a nice way to avoid him by swinging across the ceiling but .... then I ran out of ammo on both my guns and going to get another just results in my death as I get squished by his hammer. Argh.

Any advice ? Am probably going to drop it to normal

There's an ammo crate. So fill up, and then find a small ledge on the roof that you can perch on. Shoot him with an entire gun worth of ammo and he goes down. I used the BR. He threw a grenade once but I jumped off the ledge and then back up again. It's just a small pipe a few inches long that I hid on.
I did this on Legendary.

HungryYellow

Alt account
Banned
Nov 11, 2021
Fun game. Whole match was 60ms ping and every kill was super delayed. Cindershots not registering, melees not working, etc.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What

Pls take a look at this dude that kills me at the end of the clip. The clip is kinda old but the issue is still happening to this day. As you can see: the dude doesnt die after 1 Mangler shot + 1 melee, and his Shields and Life points seem to be at 0 in the kill cam -this has happened to me as well, being alive when i dont have shields nor life bar left and i should have died- but also, notice that the guy looks like he has full shields: his shield doesnt have the no-shields effect.

EDIT: They also die in like, 1 milisecond as soon as someone shoots at them with a Commando, the game clearly believes 0 = 1 because this dude has zero life and should be dead but he isn't lol.

Yesterday it happened again, its too common when using the mangler and it sucks. Also the Shield glow system needs a rework, its too inconsistent and doesnt offer good info, it was better in the first beta when you could see where you were shooting and the shields only glowed fully when the enemy was ready to be meleed.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up on the dpad, and use the right stick to select from a wheel. Once you know what direction everything is, it would be a split second thing, compared to the multiple dpad direction presses required now. Throw a slow-down on it for good measure in campaign.
That's really not going to be any faster than what we've got.

When you know the dpad presses you can basically switch instantly.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
So I finally started Infinite after finishing the entire back Halo catalog including Halo Wars 1/2. I have to say Halo Wars 2 was pretty enjoyable and had some really great cinematics. Anyway, so far a few hours into Infinite, I've captured a few FOBS in the open world and it's really enjoyable. They made one hell of a sandbox but man do I wish they had more of a varied ecosystem. It really bogs me down knowing I'm going to just be playing in the one biome this entire game even though I know I'm going to put a TON of hours into it playing through Normal, then Heroic, then Legendary. Hopefully the next Halo goes full open world and goes all in with the Breath of the Wild imitation.

One story note (very beginning spoiler).
I really hope Atriox isn't really dead. I mean they do a great job setting him up as the big baddie in Halo Wars 2 and they make him a somewhat complex bad guy and then they go and just kill him off screen like that? Really? I hope he isn't really dead. We'll see.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

Halo Infinite: What is RRR (Red Reticle Range)?

Here's everything you need to know about the red reticle range in Halo Infinite.

Reminder: 343i disables this when playing on PC. For reasons. People need to poke them harder on this.

Poor Analogy: It's like taking Z-Targeting out of PC Ocarina of Time.
The reason being that it's easy to make triggerbots with it. Automatically have the game shoot when it changes colour.

I get their reasoning, but it's terrible reasoning, especially in a game that is already suffering from blatant cheats. I could not give less of a shit about triggerbots in a game where aim-assist is the way it currently is, Halo isn't a game where that makes as strong an impact outside of Tactical Slayer. Since there's been no hard testing on it, I have the feeling that the aim-assist wonkiness people claim on the PC version is actually due to the lack of red crosshair feedback reinforcing proper ranges.

It's stupid. I'm with you, it needs stronger pushback, especially if they're not going to do the same for console.

malus

Oct 30, 2017

Pls take a look at this dude that kills me at the end of the clip. The clip is kinda old but the issue is still happening to this day. As you can see: the dude doesnt die after 1 Mangler shot + 1 melee, and his Shields and Life points seem to be at 0 in the kill cam -this has happened to me as well, being alive when i dont have shields nor life bar left and i should have died- but also, notice that the guy looks like he has full shields: his shield doesnt have the no-shields effect.

EDIT: They also die in like, 1 milisecond as soon as someone shoots at them with a Commando, the game clearly believes 0 = 1 because this dude has zero life and should be dead but he isn't lol.

Yesterday it happened again, its too common when using the mangler and it sucks. Also the Shield glow system needs a rework, its too inconsistent and doesnt offer good info, it was better in the first beta when you could see where you were shooting and the shields only glowed fully when the enemy was ready to be meleed.

I think that's intentional. If both players melee at the same time and one player has significantly less health, only that player will die while the other is left alive with like 1 health.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think that's intentional. If both players melee at the same time and one player has significantly less health, only that player will die while the other is left alive with like 1 health.

I don't think that's right. I pretty commonly get both players dying from melee (Me and them) and it'll be different weapons setups and more all the time.
Unless I'm just really lucky about health ALWAYS being the exact same when we both melee.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's right. I pretty commonly get both players dying from melee (Me and them) and it'll be different weapons setups and more all the time.
Unless I'm just really lucky about health ALWAYS being the exact same when we both melee.
I'm not sure about the one health thing, but there definitely is some math going on during these beatdown fights.

I'm 99.99% sure that even though if your beatdown should count for a kill trade at least the other guy will be able to walk away if he has significantly more health. Probably to nerf beatdowns to some extend and reduce 'unfair' kill trades.

I think it makes sense. But it makes for some annoying situations as you really gotta be sure about the health differences before committing to that beatdown.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Feels like the Halo 3 Rockets at times lol.

I'm used to that Halo 2 Rocket launcher. As long as a foot even grazes the splash they're dead lol.

I'm not sure about the one health thing, but there definitely is some math going on during these beatdown fights.

I'm 99.99% sure that even though if your beatdown should count for a kill trade at least the other guy will be able to walk away if he has significantly more health. Probably to nerf beatdowns to some extend and reduce 'unfair' kill trades.

I think it makes sense. But it makes for some annoying situations as you really gotta be sure about the health differences before committing to that beatdown.

Ah, that would make more sense. Probably is a certain amount where it just goes "Players can trade". Since typically if I'm going for a melee we're both on last legs and i'd rather take a 1 for 1 than nothing at all.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Don't get the praise on the campaign. Halo has never felt so small to me. Pacing with the filler OW content is all over the place, there are some truly awful LD in the linear missions (like when you only have boring sentinels to fight for 15-20 minutes in a row), and the storytelling is really cheap.

The story itself works (as a course correction from Halo 5), with cool emotional story beats for longtime fans, but it's lacking stakes. The gameplay is absolutely fantastic though.

Really disappointed overall, without even taking into account the lack of basic Halo features for now.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Man BTB is basically unplayable right now. If you manage to get into a game you probably end up with a time that is multiple people short.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I'm absolutely not going to buy that Fire & Frost bundle, because… well, it's $20. Obviously I'm not going to buy $20 recolor skins. I'm definitely bummed though because the Vermillion Flame skin for the Yoroi armor is the best coating they have for the armor so far. Besides the HCS Winter skin, all of the other skins are too dark. I'm not saying I prefer gaudy and flashy colors or anything but having the option of something brighter and not as grungy would be nice. And that gold on the Vermillion Flame just 'pops.'
What a shame…

malus

Oct 30, 2017
That would be very silly, unconsistent and overall a bad decision. I doubt that is the case TBH.
It does balance melee a little imo. If I've put you no-shields and half-health and you put me to quarter-shields and we both go for the beatdown it would feel a bit unsatisfying for me if it ended in a trade.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
With regards to melee I wouldn't be against getting rid of bleedthrough again.

If a melee only actually killed when the other player is no shields then it would be completely consistent and it would quite significantly reduce the power of melee which would be a great thing.

Geeker

May 11, 2019
Don't get the praise on the campaign. Halo has never felt so small to me. Pacing with the filler OW content is all over the place, there are some truly awful LD in the linear missions (like when you only have boring sentinels to fight for 15-20 minutes in a row), and the storytelling is really cheap.

The story itself works (as a course correction from Halo 5), with cool emotional story beats for longtime fans, but it's lacking stakes. The gameplay is absolutely fantastic though.

Really disappointed overall, without even taking into account the lack of basic Halo features for now.

i agree with you. I just wonder how much resources were poured into the open world and how those resources could have been used to make more interesting levels instead. In particular since half the missions are linear levels in any case. I also started just skipping the open world content because of limited rewards and the grindy stale feeling it had

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Challenges really need to track during a match and not just at match-end. I was in a Strongholds BTB match just now that was going swimmingly and had a hard-crash that sent me back to the dashboard (annoying enough as it is). No progress on challenges increased as a result, so that's time off my Double XP wasted. So long as any "Play 'X' Game Type" challenge is actually a "Complete 'X' Game Type" challenge, it shouldn't lead to people joining, getting the type they need, and then quitting. But if I get kills during the match or kill someone attacking a friendly zone or whatever, those should absolutely track.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
i agree with you. I just wonder how much resources were poured into the open world and how those resources could have been used to make more interesting levels instead. In particular since half the missions are linear levels in any case. I also started just skipping the open world content because of limited rewards and the grindy stale feeling it had

While playing I was like wow this is awesome, grapple-shoting my way over mountains like in Skyrim however upon reflection, the story was kinda meh and the lack of those awesome classic Halo levels is kinda rubbish. This game didn't really have any memorable missions, with the awesome music behind them.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Holding up on the dpad then making a selection sounds awful mid combat which is absolutely necessary on legendary, but sure, give them the choice I suppose.

Learning the 4 equipment slots was honestly second nature by the end of the game for me, never bothered to learn the nades, wasn't really necessary.

you shouldn't have to hold a button- it just just be a hot wheel….like mass effect, or dooms weapon wheel.

tap a button - time slows, and your options appears. Tap another button or move your stick to select ability. Would make ability selections mid-combat much less awful and would allow for more abilities to be included in the game.

A wheel would still be the same amount of button presses though and then adding slowdown + taking over the right stick (no camera movement while switching equipment) feels like it'd interrupt the flow of combat too much imo.

The Jega invisible elite boss fight for example wouldn't have the same atmosphere if all of his dialogue was constantly interrupted with slowdowns as you keep switching between threat sensor + grapple on a wheel.

if your quick with the wheel, then there's no notable interruption. If you're not quick with the wheel, then the slowing of time minimizes the need to move the camera during combat.

Quick switching weapons in doom (with weapon wheel delay turned all the way down) is much more fluid than changing abilities in Halo Infinite. The things you do mid-fight on a controller are insane by comparison.

Last edited:

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's an ammo crate. So fill up, and then find a small ledge on the roof that you can perch on. Shoot him with an entire gun worth of ammo and he goes down. I used the BR. He threw a grenade once but I jumped off the ledge and then back up again. It's just a small pipe a few inches long that I hid on.
I did this on Legendary.
I've seen that strategy mentioned for Bassus not Escharum. Will see if I can find it .

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Big frustration I have is you can't pause and spend your cores. I've started a boss fight where upgraded thrusters would be super useful but don't have time to upgrade them without getting stomped.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done with the campaign and...it kinda sucks? The open world is cookie cutter as hell, the missions are predictable and boring and the level-design is just mediocre all the way through. Its saving grace is the combat, which is really fucking nice feeling (except switching gear on controller; who the hell thought that was a good idea?), but just about everything else around it is a 5/10 for me. I'm really not seeing what's so supposedly good about this, unless people just play it for the mp, which is very possible.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
My bad - you're probably matching with me on my first two games of the day. Finally got warmed up mid-FFA today, started 0-7, creeped back to tie with a Hail Mary grenade with 0:01 on the clock, then annoyed someone massively with the win, lmao. I hate letting teammates down and knowing I'm better than this : (
I know how that feels. Sometimes I'm the one guy who does poorly and it always feels crappy when you end up contributing so little to a match.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Almost done with the campaign and...it kinda sucks? The open world is cookie cutter as hell, the missions are predictable and boring and the level-design is just mediocre all the way through. Its saving grace is the combat, which is really fucking nice feeling (except switching gear on controller; who the hell thought that was a good idea?), but just about everything else around it is a 5/10 for me. I'm really not seeing what's so supposedly good about this, unless people just play it for the mp, which is very possible.
Lots of people liked the single player. It was one of the more fun open world games I've played in awhile. The encounters for the various open world side content didn't bloat the map like say a Far Cry game, and the encounters between each one felt varied enough that it didn't get old for me. I enjoyed the missions, but they definitely didn't grab me nearly as much as the Bungie titles, very few fun big set pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.