• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Finished the campaign on Heroic yesterday. Final bosses were a highlight throughout the campaign and I didn't expect this on a Halo game. They just felt very polished and challenging, though the final boss was a bit too much and it must be terrible on legendary.

I felt this was a game with very repetitive scenarios, mediocre technical presentation and with a yet another "we wrote ourselves into a corner in the previous game so we decided to pivot" premise. Narrative presentation in general has flaws.

But the PVE gameplay is the best I've ever played in a game, the music was beautiful and I really like MC, The Weapon, The Pilot and Escharum and the motivations behind The Banished. Getting lost in Zeta Halo was quite immersive.

I am so, SO excited for more single player content. I feel a bit like with Halo 1: amazing base and fun gameplay, to be refined to greatness in future iterations with more variety and more plot. It's flawed shake to the Formula that the saga needed, and the best Halo has felt when shooting aliens.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you are playing on pc using a controller? i had this exact issue and never managed to fix it. I started playing on my Series S because of it but i read on twitter that you can prevent it from hapening if you press start on your controller instead of enter on the keyboard while you are in the main menu after launching it.
Thanks a lot! Could definitely happened that way. Will pay attention next time.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
I think the routes on bazaar would help with the flow. Hate having to either climb up near the OS, or funneling through the double doors. But I think those hallways will make that map much faster paced.

I don't think Behemoth or Streets (especially) need them.
Agreed. The bazaar one is the only one I like. That OS spawn area is a death trap tbh. Behemoth just needs to get rid of the 400 rocks you can hide behind.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just two more challenges to do before this week's ultimate.

- win a ranked Slayer match (fine)
- melee enemies from behind in PvP (fine, done 2/5 already)

What's the final challenge this week?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Simply remove the "Leave Game" option. Make people hard quit the game and have to relaunch the whole game if they wanna bail on a match. I have zero sympathy for anyone quitting a match. Just play the video game, and stop causing other people to have a worse time just because you're picky.
Sometimes I'll get a party invite a minute or two into a match. I'm not going to make my friends stick with nothing to do while I finish up a match. And it's not like they can go into a match themselves, because when mine wraps up, they'll have to make me wait. Quitting isn't always a bad thing.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Closing in on finishing the campaign, working through the last series of story missions after knocking out all the open world content other than finding all audio logs (and probably missed some transmission towers). Have had a blast with it! Haven't been playing MP the past couple of days as I've been sucked into the campaign so I'm looking forward to jumping back into that after finishing it up at least.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't feeling the game yesterday. its probably because i just got off from finishing HZD. played one game of BTB and just quit

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
finally got to try the campaign and it's not really grabbing me. I've only done the first few missions, wandered around the halo for awhile and took out some incredibly boring fuel canister base mission thing. Might give it another try where I just pick a direction and wander, but I dunno. MP is plenty for me, like with most past Halos.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree.

Oddball matches are already really drawn out with the current "drop the ball the nanosecond you sense danger" meta since the ball carrier is pretty defenseless in the current state of the game.

I have to disagree.

Some matches can get out of hand very quickly and a second round allows for a spawn swap and reset.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
its been a while since this happened but anyone has experienced that youre holding rt shooting at someone and then your spartan just stops for a second even tho theres still ammo and you have to press it again?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quitters in ranked have been a problem since Halo 5 and Im surprised 343i did nothing to address it, it was basically the reason I stopped playing Halo 5.

Lots of games have different but effective ways of dealing with this, it's not difficult:
Just implement 5 minute ban for quitters when quiting a ranked mode + don't punish the rest of the team if someone quits.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quitters in ranked have been a problem since Halo 5 and Im surprised 343i did nothing to address it, it was basically the reason I stopped playing Halo 5.

Lots of games have different but effective ways of dealing with this, it's not difficult:
Just implement 5 minute ban for quitters when quiting a ranked mode + don't punish the rest of the team if someone quits.
It's been a thing since 2004. Still no mercy rule or anything like that.

Quitters plague this franchise.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Man the sniper is so hard to use in this. I'll take the shock rifle over it any day
I very rarely see people go on tears with the sniper like older Halos either (in Diamond)
Thing used to be such a beast with everyone fighting over it. Now it's not rare to have your team just ignore picking it up

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Man the sniper is so hard to use in this. I'll take the shock rifle over it any day
I very rarely see people go on tears with the sniper like older Halos either (in Diamond)
Thing used to be such a beast with everyone fighting over it. Now it's not rare to have your team just ignore picking it up
See people regularly delete with it in diamond personally... it feels so easy to use, it feels like free kills. Never seen it ignored either, always a made rush to grab. Only time it is easy to grab is on BTB in my experience.

If you're having hit reg issues it could be rough, though.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
See people regularly delete with it in diamond personally... it feels so easy to use, it feels like free kills. Never seen it ignored either, always a made rush to grab. Only time it is easy to grab is on BTB in my experience.

If you're having hit reg issues it could be rough, though.
I was good with it in other games! It feels so finicky and especially no scopes are just not happening

Oct 27, 2017
I was good with it in other games! It feels so finicky and especially no scopes are just not happening
It's the one gun on controller that feels like it has 0 aim assist, which I don't mind. Don't need COD quick scoping nonsense in Halo. It does make it weird sometimes when you are so used to how all the other guns operate. Then, all of a sudden, having to adjust to mouse aim on sticks.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the campaign today and I must say it is likely my favorite Halo ever. I love that most of the focus is on big sandbox fights and the grapple hook is a amazing. There are little things they can improve, but my god 343 pulled it off!

As an aside, due to health issues this is the first game I've been able to play in a while. It feels good to be back!

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Did 343 change the aiming overnight? I found my groove with certain settings and it suddenly feels like someone went in and changed everything. It's feeling very slow out of nowhere.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No scopes are definitely a bit more finicky, but they do happen. The trick with them is to try not to flick shot I think, you need to place for a very brief moment then shoot. When I do that they land more often than not.

Like this:

gM6R4b.gif

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
No scopes are definitely a bit more finicky, but they do happen. The trick with them is to try not to flick shot I think, you need to place for a very brief moment then shoot. When I do that they land more often than not.

Like this:

gM6R4b.gif
Beautiful! These moments are very few and far between with the sniper for me. Meanwhile with the shock rifle I can go on a perfect noscope tear -- although some of that is thanks to the map design and my positioning in recharge. Idk, I just choke with the regular sniper lol
Someone shooting me with BR and I have shock rifle - fine
someone shooting me with BR and I have sniper - i lose my fucking mind and can't hit shit

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful! These moments are very few and far between with the sniper for me. Meanwhile with the shock rifle I can go on a perfect noscope tear -- although some of that is thanks to the map design and my positioning in recharge. Idk, I just choke with the regular sniper lol
someone shooting me with BR and I have sniper - i lose my fucking mind and can't hit shit
The trick really is to try to remain calm and place your shots steadily and not try to flick them, your TTK is faster than the BR by miles and if you are in no scope range you have plenty of time to do that.

It's a mindset thing I had to really force myself to do, in that clip I knew if I hit them I'd win (even though they started hitting me first) so I just ignored the fact I was getting hit and concentrated 100% on careful placement.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Finished Halo Infinite on Legendary, great game. Story is so-so mostly because so much of it has already happened off screen in the time that Chief was drifting in space and I guess that made it easy for them to wrap the events of 5 and focus on the mystery aspect in Halo Infinite more. However, the characterizations are strong in terms of exploring the humanity of Master Chief but also the dynamic between him, the regular pilot and the new A.I was all interesting. It definitely ended in a way that made me say "I want more", which is a good sign. I do not know if I fully like the idea of the bosses, on lower difficulties perhaps yeah but man on Legendary you're just locked in a cage match where most attacks one-two hit kill you and thus the fight becomes a race to find out ways to cheese the bastard.

The gameplay is sublime and I cannot speak highly enough of the wonderful soundtrack or the sound design, both are like top 3 of what I heard this year when it comes to video games. In short, after all the shit we heard going on behind the scenes when it came to this game it's kind of a miracle that we got what we got. Kudos to 343 for making a superb shooter. Even its open world aspects are not tiring because it's well curated, focused and always within your vicinity. You are not forced to grind or travel long distances. Everything you do adds to your gameplay in meaningful ways which is why it's fun.

The stand out mission is definitely Pelican Down where the marriage of open world, Halo and even the bosses all culminate in a beautiful and extremely focused song and dance in a way that the other missions did not, it's up there with the best Halo levels ever made.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Did 343 change the aiming overnight? I found my groove with certain settings and it suddenly feels like someone went in and changed everything. It's feeling very slow out of nowhere.

This happens randomly all the time. It's either a bug or aiming input is some how tied to latency or something. It's really baffling how different it can feel from session to session.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Halo Infinite on Legendary, great game. Story is so-so mostly because so much of it has already happened off screen in the time that Chief was drifting in space and I guess that made it easy for them to wrap the events of 5 and focus on the mystery aspect in Halo Infinite more. However, the characterizations are strong in terms of exploring the humanity of Master Chief but also the dynamic between him, the regular pilot and the new A.I was all interesting. It definitely ended in a way that made me say "I want more", which is a good sign. I do not know if I fully like the idea of the bosses, on lower difficulties perhaps yeah but man on Legendary you're just locked in a cage match where most attacks one-two hit kill you and thus the fight becomes a race to find out ways to cheese the bastard.

The gameplay is sublime and I cannot speak highly enough of the wonderful soundtrack or the sound design, both are like top 3 of what I heard this year when it comes to video games. In short, after all the shit we heard going on behind the scenes when it came to this game it's kind of a miracle that we got what we got. Kudos to 343 for making a superb shooter. Even its open world aspects are not tiring because it's well curated, focused and always within your vicinity. You are not forced to grind or travel long distances. Everything you do adds to your gameplay in meaningful ways which is why it's fun.

The stand out mission is definitely Pelican Down where the marriage of open world, Halo and even the bosses all culminate in a beautiful and extremely focused song and dance in a way that the other missions did not, it's up there with the best Halo levels ever made.
Pelican Down was great, I loved how it took place on its own little area of the map.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm halfway through the campaign on Heroic and the moment to moment gameplay is absolutely sublime, but I'm growing a little bored of the open world setting.

There is a TREMENDOUS foundation here for future expansions with varied scenarios and biomes. Can't wait.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So far, only the Sidekick coating is live and you can earn progress towards it now. The Victory Shout Pose also says "Dec 19, 11pm GMT +1".

Are we sure it's not just showing the Pistol, but unlocks them all? As they would show the other weapons if they were for the Future, such as showing the Shout one for the Future.

As the Co-Streamer one only shows one Armor, but is described as "HCS Launch Armor Coatings" with a Plural, assuming all.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
So, I know that there are missiles skulls, but they're universal across save files, so I'm collecting them in a second play of the campaign.

Are the audiologs universal across save files as well?
I feel like they are.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
So, I know that there are missiles skulls, but they're universal across save files, so I'm collecting them in a second play of the campaign.

Are the audiologs universal across save files as well?
I feel like they are.
They are saved across playthroughs, yeah.

Only thing that doesn't save across playthroughs are the Propaganda towers, Spartan Cores, and for some reason, the Armor Lockers.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure it's not just showing the Pistol, but unlocks them all? As they would show the other weapons if they were for the Future, such as showing the Shout one for the Future.

As the Co-Streamer one only shows one Armor, but is described as "HCS Launch Armor Coatings" with a Plural, assuming all.

Good point. I'm at 71% and will report back when it's done.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if you know this or not, but when no scoping with the sniper the bullets don't exactly follow the cursor…they are slightly offset.

the further away you are, the more you have to account for it when going for headshots.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Happy really played a Halo game since Halo 3 on Xbox 360, which I didn't like in the end, but I'm enjoying this so far. Only played a little PvP and I find the matchmaking to be really good, Rocket League esque, where my mates and I start with good balance, then we win a few matches in a row, and then we get absolutely trounced in 2 or 3 matches, and then we go to bed broken and beaten and frustrated, to start again and begin the whole thing over. "It's the beer!" "Matt won't listen and stick together!" Nah. It's the matchmaking :D

But overall I'm good with that.

For the campaign, I'm *mostly* enjoying it and just got to the HAlo Zeta. Generally so far, there's too much action for me and not enough downtime, and the battles are a little too obvious. Like, walk into an area and there's 3 or 4 guns laying about" oh, Im going to have to kill some guys," but I know it's a Halo game and that's what I should expect. I think the bosses are pretty cool, not something that I expected and so while I have a sense of dread when a new boss comes, I do really like it when I beat them.

Soo... I read that bosses drop unique weapons. How does that work, because like, in my limited understanding of Halo, you really only have a gun until it runs out of ammo? *Are* there unique guns in the game and do you get to keep them in an inventory somehow? Like while exploring the first secured outpost, I found some plasma pistol that had kinda unique ammo, like it seemed like it shot 3 or 4 bullets in a burst at once. I picked it up, as well as a sniper rifle, while exploring. Is that a unique gun that I get to "keep" somehow, or is it expected that when you go into battle you'll basically end up dropping wahtever gun you have for whatever is laying around once you run out of ammo?

I'm generally "new" / lapsed from Halo. Played Halo 1/CE back on Xbox ~20 years go, but never did the campaigns till Halo 3, and I didn't love Halo 3 and don't remember it that fondly (actually HATED the end of Halo 3 and it's why I didn't get the subsequent Halo games). So tips there?

Status
Not open for further replies.