• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
True. But on Legendary they get literally one shotted by half the enemies in the game. And they take years to kill an enemy. Enemy vehicles also need a rebalance as a banshee can take an entire battle rifle worth of ammo (as in all 100+ bullets) and keep going.
That reminded me of the banshee fight in the last level of Halo 2. It's a nightmare to play on legendary, wasted me so much time

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
That reminded me of the banshee fight in the last level of Halo 2. It's a nightmare to play on legendary, wasted me so much time

Yeah, I'm replaying the MCC now and opted for Heroic over Legendary. Halo 2 and 4 are too frustrating from memory. Heroic is a cakewalk compared to what I just did on Infinite though. I can lose my shields and still survive.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm sure it's been mentioned many times, but the way this game saves is so archaic.

I never know when the last time it saved (at least show me "saved 10 minutes ago" when I quit). I get the saving checkpoint and saving progress, but miss them half the time when they show up in the lower left.

Just let me save whenever I want...

Edit: just found that I can save by fast traveling to a fob base...which works I suppose.
Not sure if your on PC, but on Xbox I've just been using quick resume. Works like a charm. Always pick up immediately where I leave off even if I totally power cycle the console.

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
Any consensus by first time halo players here? This will be my first halo campaign since halo ce came out on windows lol. Somehow managed to not pick up a single halo game during the 360 era, my loss I guess. Any hype words of encouragement??

Don't know if these are hype words per se, but I'm happy to share my view/experience as someone who is very much an outsider to the franchise.

I was in college when Halo 2 came one. My dorm floor would have regular LAN parties for PVP and beyond that, Halo wasn't something that's been a part of my gaming diet.

I've spent about 6 hours with the campaign on Normal. At the moment, it feels like it's fulfilling the promise of Destiny 1's "see that mountain over there?" line.

I'm really enjoying just exploring the world and using the grappleshot to traverse. Truly, that piece of equipment feels great, and I'm going to be bummed when the next open world game I play doesn't have it.

I enjoy the freedom I have in choosing how to engage in different combat scenarios, and I greatly appreciate being able to continue using the weapons I favor thanks to frequent ammo caches.

I usually enjoy games that allow me to interact with the world in more ways than simply "shoot" or "kill." But the campaign was the only game I played this weekend, and even now at 2300 hrs, I'm still thinking about exploring the world and counting down the hours until I'll be able to return to it.

As a longtime Destiny vet, the lack of loot to grind/chase feels a bit weird. I guess I'm missing the feeing that an in-game weapon can be unique or "mine." But it's also refreshing to be "freed" from the chase.

Again, I'm less than 10 hours in. Everything could completely go off the cliff, so to speak. But I'm anxiously awaiting co op so I can tackle legendary with my kid. And I'm definitely excited to see how the game evolves over the next decade.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I forgot, but luckily somehow got the 20 minute aa gun achievement. I know I took longer, but maybe that was thankfully not game time.
Yea me too. I was sure I had taken far longer.. but.. it unlocked! So.. who knows lol.

Also that sidekick variant you unlock that basically becomes a halo ce pistol…. Such bliss when landing headshots
I really liked that gun! Not quite as amazing as some of the other variant weapons per se, but tons of fun to use. Accurate, powerful, and with a slight bit more ammo too. Made fights engaging, especially when you're landing quick headshots in succession or even powering down a strong enemy super quickly.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
haven't gotten a single achievement all day lol

didn't get the scorpion one or the various achievements for beating the game on legendary

fun fun fun

edit: oh, guess I did. They just didn't pop.

StewboaT

Mar 6, 2018
Man, this game is just so damn fun. My first Halo game and I'm extremely impressed so far. Simply can't wait for co-op to drop.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Just finished Campaign on Legendary. The difficulty wasn't too bad outside of bosses and later missions where the difficulty ramped up. I leaned on the Sentinel beam pretty heavy for late game, it seems a bit OP to me actually, it staggers and melts almost every enemy type.

HungryYellow

Alt account
Banned
Nov 11, 2021
Just finished Campaign on Legendary. The difficulty wasn't too bad outside of bosses and later missions where the difficulty ramped up. I leaned on the Sentinel beam pretty heavy for late game, it seems a bit OP to me actually, it staggers and melts almost every enemy type.
Yep. It's so powerful I didn't even know the Harbinger has an attack lol it took them down so quickly each phase

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent about 6 hours with the campaign on Normal. At the moment, it feels like it's fulfilling the promise of Destiny 1's "see that mountain over there?" line.

Same here. Which by the way, hadn't since been fulfilled by any game of this ilk for me since their early Tiger teases of D1. Glad I'm not alone in that. There's still some desire there given the tech they decided to work with, but given it is an Xbox One game, it's pretty much (crazy Bungie ass art styles and skyboxes aside - which granted are often on point in this, too). It's just working that itch with the Halo sandbox I want big time. Spoiler for later half of open world: getting the flying vehicles really drove that home for me. There's just hardly ANY soft kill zones or out of bounds in this. They understand traversal and open-ness that few open worlds "get" at the fundamental core gameplay loop-level. BOTW obviously nailed this, too. But in the end I too felt myself missing certain Destiny Patrol area elements. Game could certainly use a Patrol mode of sorts especially when co-op is out.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The hunters in this game seem crazy, it feels like they over compensated for you having the grapple as I'm finding it nearly impossible to get behind to their weak point now as they just turn along with me, and the melee feels random/not used much by them.

I thought the thrust would be the key but that cloak thing barely seems to do anything. Enemies stare right at and turn along with me, lol.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Nexlander's 1hour-ish preview. And I have to say, pro tip for newbies:

You can look around while mid-grapple to adjust your direction arc. And you can move forward or backward mid-grapple to change the speed. Found myself often looking wayyyy up from where I've grappled to launch myself a bit higher. Same dealio for left and right and down, too. You can also cancel midway through grapple, to dodge for example (once you get it).

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
finished campaign on heroic. meh.

was getting really tilted at the 'lock you in a room with a boss with lotsa healthbar' design near the end especially when they serve up like 3 in a row. go in with the wrong setup and you're just going to get ganked over and over again. At least the final boss was a bit better about it.

Also - Hunters are way too fast and agile now imho. They're not much fun to fight... compared to my memories, which admittedly could be bad, but yeah - they barely expose their backs very much and they track you like woah. Actually, basically everybody tracks you like crazy, which can be infuriating.

Jul 10, 2018
Not too far into the campaign yet but I'm already really excited for the next Halo.

The foundation is there already and its so strong. For the next one they need to vary the biomes and find a way to balance the open world with linear missions that have the big set pieces that Halo is know for.

I'd also love to see them expand in the Fob's maybe take a page out of MGSV and have marine management where each one is named and they level up and have stats and stuff. That will make marines actual soldiers that you have to care for instead of being expendable.

Thrusters and Grapple shot need to be abilities that are mapped to their own button instead of being equipment. Can you imagine being able to use thrusters and grapple around at the same time? That's doom eternal levels of mobility.

I do hope they scale down the bases and collectibles though, never been a fan of the open world checklist template and this one feels like a far cry light, other than that I'd say 343 is finally in a good place with Halo.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017

was getting really tilted at the 'lock you in a room with a boss with lotsa healthbar' design near the end especially when they serve up like 3 in a row. go in with the wrong setup and you're just going to get ganked over and over again. At least the final boss was a bit better about it.

Also - Hunters are way too fast and agile now imho. They're not much fun to fight... compared to my memories, which admittedly could be bad, but yeah - they barely expose their backs very much and they track you like woah. Actually, basically everybody tracks you like crazy, which can be infuriating.
Yeah, WTF happened with the Hunters.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Thrusters and Grapple shot need to be abilities that are mapped to their own button instead of being equipment. Can you imagine being able to use thrusters and grapple around at the same time? That's doom eternal levels of mobility.

I actually did do this a lot during my Heroic playthrough once I upgraded everything. Though I admit, it's the first Halo game to make me claw on the left side lol. Could be better for sure. But it does work. Right-Right for grapple and Right-Up for Thruster was being done constantly by my left thumb, while movement was on index finger lol

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
My god I almost fell asleep on the first mission on my way to zeta. It felt like a 20 year old game with nicer graphics.

really? I wish FPS shooters had grappling hooks 20 years ago. I spent the first mission running around like a Batman out of hell. Way to much action to fall asleep.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
You need full shields and pray you get one. Try taking some areas slow, no jumping or grappling.

There were times where I got sent back multiple minutes in the overworld and multiple rooms in the linear levels and then some times I would get random checkpoints in the middle of combat.

one checkpoint for me was right when I accidentally yeeted myself with a chopper off the map. The game reloads and I am back in the air, already falling. Thank god for the grapple hook

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the final mission now, and though I've been loving the campaign I find it really annoying that the game basically locks you into the main story missions during the last few. I don't know if I missed it but there really wasn't any sort of warning beforehand. I wanted to do some side missions and mess around the open world in between. I know I can do explore still after completing the story, but I wanted to take my time getting to the final mission.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

Yeah I prefer "classic no boss fights Halo" where the difficulty is basically the complete fight, not some bullet sponge boss. I guess Souls game have fucked it up for the FPS purists :S

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Don't use grenades at the final boss, you can fall through the floor and be forced to restart the fight entirely.

Just lost like an hour of my life from this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the final mission now, and though I've been loving the campaign I find it really annoying that the game basically locks you into the main story missions during the last few. I don't know if I missed it but there really wasn't any sort of warning beforehand. I wanted to do some side missions and mess around the open world in between. I know I can do explore still after completing the story, but I wanted to take my time getting to the final mission.

I hear you. I think some of this might be something of a side-effect of the way in which campaign is going to grow; like the pacing of main missions-to-open-world activities may average out to be more reasonable with the addition of a few more activities / missions etc if they actually release campaign DLC. They should absolutely add a warning, though. I think their feeling on it probably was that by the time people got to that mission they probably are either nearing completion of all world activities, or may even have completed everything. Either way, there probably should have been an additional FOB / associated activities in between two of the final missions.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Yeah I prefer "classic no boss fights Halo" where the difficulty is basically the complete fight, not some bullet sponge boss. I guess Souls game have fucked it up for the FPS purists :S

It reminded me of the end of Halo 2, when we were struggling with Tartarus on Legendary at the beginning (Before the Johnson Glitch). Good old memories. :D

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you. I think some of this might be something of a side-effect of the way in which campaign is going to grow; like the pacing of main missions-to-open-world activities may average out to be more reasonable with the addition of a few more activities / missions etc if they actually release campaign DLC. They should absolutely add a warning, though. I think their feeling on it probably was that by the time people got to that mission they probably are either nearing completion of all world activities, or may even have completed everything. Either way, there probably should have been an additional FOB / associated activities in between two of the final missions.
Yeah definitely. Especially because I'd also like to find some spartan cores and upgrade before I press on but can't do that now haha.

PeaceSeeker

Chicken Chaser
Apr 17, 2018
I hope 343i can update equipment usage key as something like

tap equipment => grappleshot
hold equipment => drop wall
double tap crouch => thruster
doupb tap/hold AI scan => sensor

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think overall I give the campaign a 9/10. It was excellent, took a little while to get going but I really loved the traversal with grapplehook and open world elements.

The story was better, The Weapon is such a treasure. The messages from propaganda towers were hilarious!

Only things I didn't like were:
The big bad and his "Rar rar come fight me, rar" energy, it came across a bit cheesy at times.
The stupid way in which audio log collection is recorded, a pain for anyone trying to get the 100% achievement (which I eventually got).
Didn't get to see the big threat who are worse than the flood
Would have liked to known more about the final boss
Esparaza was really annoying in the earlier missions
There really should have been a fast travel point somwhere near the south-west region of the map

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it on Heroic, which was really not that bad. Enjoyed it, except for the fact that all the interiors are so similar. I would've liked to see a bit more variety in that regard.

Looking forward to what is next!

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
Yeah it's crazy to me how fast some people are falling off. Even if there's some repetitive environments, the gameplay is just so solid that I couldn't stop. I beat the game in a single sitting, much to the dismay of my ass.
Yea for real. That halo gameplay hook is just too good, and I would argue it's never been better than it is here. Plus the whole production values just really won me over.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I haven't even touched the campaign yet outside the first mission because the multiplayer is so fun. I'm glad the challenges are getting rebalanced because I don't think I can compete the four I have left. Getting 15 ravager kills is too much. It's also annoyingly difficult to to find a Control match and have the team thus lose it preventing me from getting rid of an easy challenge. No more "win..." challenges please 343. Just do "play x amount of matches" and we're good.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

Glad I'm not the only one who struggled more with Hunters in this. A bunch of em I just took the very long path and killed them by shooting in the front because I couldn't get to their backs.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
the way I was on that dpad switching between grapple to thrusters to threat sensor fighting those red hunters you'd have thought I was in an evo grand finals match playing on pad

they catch you lacking for even one moment they're making you a grease spot, and it's hard to cheese them.

the only boss I thought had too much health was the second to last one. The rest were fine to me.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Glad I'm not the only one who struggled more with Hunters in this. A bunch of em I just took the very long path and killed them by shooting in the front because I couldn't get to their backs.

ahi tees on Legendary are worse than the actual bosses. You just can't get to their backs. They also teleport like Dark Souls 2 if you even come close to getting behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.