• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
besides performance issues, i'm warming up to the campaign more now
The framework is very standard open-world, but the combat and level design with the grappling hook elevate it a lot

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Dodging pulse carbine shots in multiplayer. And in story mode on legendary difficulty. Yeah, shit is bad.

But as soon as the brute is wielding a mangler he lands every shot.
It actually feels decent to use on Legendary though, as the enemies don't dodge like sweaty MPers. I hope they tune this for MP as it could be a really fun weapon.

I'm actually kinda scared they will over tune it and it becomes too much of a beast...

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Is this Halo harder? I'm dying a lot more than previous Halo games and I'm playing on normal. Also, this might be the best Halo for me. I think 343i nailed it.

jimbosimbo

Nov 9, 2020
I don't know whether there's server issues or something, but I was a good 4-5 hours into the campaign, now when i go to play there's a save with the correct timestamp ... but says I've only played 9 minutes.

When i try and load it nothing happens. Wont let me in.
Save is also called
"excavation site"
so it knows exactly where I was ... can you restore old saves with Xbox?

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Sadly because work is extra busy right now I won't have time to touch this game till Friday but sounds like everyone is having a pretty damn great time with it.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I had my doubts even after playing the MP, but the campaign is fucking awesome. Feels like they Doom Eternaled Halo.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Does the HDR seem washed out to anyone on the Series X? haven't noticed this in any other game before. But on the opening cutscene, the letterbox bars were a bright gray and not the OLED black I would expect from my OLED TV. Maybe it was by design. I went and turned off DV for gaming, that didn't make a difference and then recalibrated the HDR within the system settings.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Is this Halo harder? I'm dying a lot more than previous Halo games and I'm playing on normal. Also, this might be the best Halo for me. I think 343i nailed it.

I'm playing on Heroic and if anything I've felt it's been pretty easy as of the first two linear levels.

I remember struggling a lot more in Halo 4 and 5's opening missions… especially 5 with its focus on those Promethean bastards who aren't fun to fight.

Anyway, only time I died in Infinite so far was once to the first boss.

Can't speak to Legendary though.

Are you picking up and tossing the plasma barrels whenever you see them?

Does the HDR seem washed out to anyone on the Series X? haven't noticed this in any other game before. But on the opening cutscene, the letterbox bars were a bright gray and not the OLED black I would expect from my OLED TV. Maybe it was by design. I went and turned off DV for gaming, that didn't make a difference and then recalibrated the HDR within the system settings.

100% yes!
I thought it was just me and my TV. It's eye piercingly bright and washed out. The actual campaign looks fine but the cutscene is just wrong.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It feels about the same to me on Legendary. The open environments definitely give enemies more opportunities though, which means I really need to use them to my advantage to make it through encounters in one go.

Also I love shit like this, throwing a nade one side then using a box to bounce the enemy into it. Never. Gets. old.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Feels to me that Heroic is easier than campaigns past. That is, until you come up against a boss. Chak 'Lok and Bassus slapped me around quite a bit.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I can only give my opinion on legendary but I think they toned down a lot of the 'bullshit deaths' I swore I was getting in the trilogy. Maybe it's because of the open world and new traversal mechanics, but I feel like I'm surviving more. I'm still dying a lot tho. Just not nearly as much as I remember from the trilogy.

Just thinking about it I'm starting to get some horrible flashbacks to those damn flying locust drones (that wield plasma pistols). From Halo 2…now that was bullshit.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on Heroic and if anything I've felt it's been pretty easy as of the first two linear levels.

I remember struggling a lot more in Halo 4 and 5's opening missions… especially 5 with its focus on those Promethean bastards who aren't fun to fight.

Anyway, only time I died in Infinite so far was once to the first boss.

Can't speak to Legendary though.

Are you picking up and tossing the plasma barrels whenever you see them?

100% yes!
I thought it was just me and my TV. It's eye piercingly bright and washed out. The actual campaign looks fine but the cutscene is just wrong.
Good, glad I'm not alone.. yeah once you're dropped into the game it looks great. Especially the latter part of the opening section.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Get the Arcane Sentinel Beam ASAP and one Skewer. Shit turns Legendary into Easy. They even killed a Jackal upside down at the end!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You know what i love? That i now played the first part if the game and saw alot of the stuff already that was shown in trailers and previews.
They really used only the first part alot for trailers. Rest is a mystery wich i like.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
So are we for sure getting single player DLCs??
This is what Staten said in a recent interview:
In terms of Halo Infinite being a live service game, we've all seen the "campaigns" plural hint. Do you plan to expand the story with meaningful DLC in some way? How will it actually work? Is more of the ring going to be made available? I'd love to know what the vision is.

Joseph Staten:
Well, today unfortunately I can say absolutely nothing about any of that! But I will say that Zeta Halo, this new ring that you find yourself on, it's known in the Halo universe to be the most mysterious of all the Halo rings. It has millions of years of secrets. It's certainly a really rich place to set new stories. And we're eager to explore those in the future. But I can't say anything about that today.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Every death I've had in this game has felt weird, cause it's always been getting shot in the back by an enemy I didn't know was there and by a quick sniper shot or something. Maybe it's the open world nature of the fights, but keep having situations where I'm doing find and suddenly DEAD. Not even badly damaged or anything, but suddenly Im down by something shooting me in the back

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I know campaign missions aren't repeatable, but are all the skulls and collectibles available through the whole game? Or are they missable?

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
Oh man there are some REALLY good uses of the Halo leitmotif in the soundtrack here. Brilliant OST so far.

Hot take, a couple more missions in: the open world stuff is way better than the "linear" missions proper.

Take the Tower: Amazing, dynamic approach with a wonderful combat scenario to unlock it. Then you enter the level proper and it's a dime-a-dozen level.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Every death I've had in this game has felt weird, cause it's always been getting shot in the back by an enemy I didn't know was there and by a quick sniper shot or something. Maybe it's the open world nature of the fights, but keep having situations where I'm doing find and suddenly DEAD. Not even badly damaged or anything, but suddenly Im down by something shooting me in the back
Happens a lot on heroic and above, even in older games. Some stuff can just one hit you. Shield is the first thing I will upgrade in this one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick PSA to those who haven't yet explored the options

These will help greatly in MP but also PvP.

FOV SETTINGS

Firstly, if you are new to FoV settings or never use them, this is the first one to try. The default is very low, very zoomed in. If a player has it set higher than you, they have a strong advantage as you can see in the screens below:

65 FoV
gSvKm3.png

95 FoV
gSvpu0.png

120 FoV
gSvO8D.png

As you can see, the higher you take it the more peripheral vision you get. If you were using default, which is 65 on PC, in the position above you cannot see the stairway to your left which could mean an enemy could be sneaking there and you'd miss them. Turn it up to just 95, and you would clearly see them.

Turning it up has an added effect of making the game feel faster, it can also add a slight fish eye feel to the camera at max. Both of these things might throw you at first, but I personally believe the added benefit of extra horizontal vision is really worth it.

This is also good for campaign, as enemies sneak and flank very often especially on higher difficulties.

WEAPON OFFSET

You can offset your weapon to a more central position so it doesn't take up as much space on the screen. This is especially helpful for larger weapons.

Go to:
Settings -> UI -> Scroll all the way to the bottom until you find Weapon Offsets.

Moving the sliders al the way to the left will move the weapon down and centre. You need to do it for all 4 weapon types: Melee, Rifle, Pistol, Heavy.

Here's Heavy default:

gcSsFk.png

And here's max left offset:

You gain a bit more space to see things with, it definitely helps imo.

Here's a Rifle shot too:

Default Offset:
gce2yM.png

Max Offset:
gcShnA.png

SHIELD COLOUR

You might have seen videos of players with different colour shields in MP, this is a setting you can find in UI and accessibility. As the game uses a holographic shield design, it can be hard to distinguish enemies even if you don't suffer from any kind of colour blindness or visual issue. I changed mine to yellow and purple, but you can switch it to whatever you want.

Look for the Outlines & Colours options in the UI menu, or Visual in the Accessibility menu.

RETICLE OUTLINE

This one is situationally helpful for me. It gives the white reticle a black outline, so if you hover over a bright background area you can still clearly see it. you can change the thickness of the outline and the opacity to suit.

This is found under the Visual header in the Accessibility menu.

-

There are more options you might like, it's worth exploring them for both MP and SP, but these are the standout ones that really helped me.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm not even done with the campaign but I'm hopeful for some new biomes being added. Maybe going to a different part of the ring will be a desert biome, or a snow biome.

This semi open world stuff is such a tease (which is fine)…but I wanna traverse the whole ring seamlessly, seeing the biomes change as I make my way around.

Let me dream. Lol.

Think we will get a desert biome at some point. I don't think Behemoth isn't intended to be reused.

1600px-HINF_DesertChopperConcept.jpg

1600px-HINF_BehemothConcept.png

And The Ark mission in Halo 3 was so good that I can't wait to have similar vibes.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Its still way to early for me to make any grand claims about the game but holy shit did they just absolutely nail the aesthetic here.

My friend asked me how it was and my response was "It feels like I'm back in 2003".
Unlike Halo 4/5, It truly feels like I'm playing a modern version of Halo 2 from the interior design/layout of the banished ship to the forerunner structures where the weapon was hidden and the sentinels flying by to the open world with its incredible looking skybox and forerunner structures littered about.
Plus the music, oh my god the music, it just hits absolutely all the right notes and feels at all the right times.

I just cant imagine this game hitting the same for someone who didn't grow up on these games..

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Most people complain that it is too strict and puts you against similar skill too much haha.

How much have you played, have you placed in ranked yet?

I don't enjoy the 'feeling' in the ranked games but yes i have. I get absolutely dominated in like 9 out of 10 quick play games where i get placed in the scrub team and against players who play like they just pub stomp.

Opponents go like 15 - 2 and we 5 - 12 etc. I just go end up leaving a bunch of games or go afk since i just end up having no fun in many games.

halotracker.com

Bertil44's Profile Overview

A quick glance of Bertil44's Halo Infinite statistics.

Have played 18 hours , 1.16 KD etc.

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Just a quick PSA to those who haven't yet explored the options

These will help greatly in MP but also PvP.

FOV SETTINGS

Firstly, if you are new to FoV settings or never use them, this is the first one to try. The default is very low, very zoomed in. If a player has it set higher than you, they have a strong advantage as you can see in the screens below:

65 FoV
gSvKm3.png

95 FoV
gSvpu0.png

120 FoV
gSvO8D.png

As you can see, the higher you take it the more peripheral vision you get. If you were using default, which is 65 on PC, in the position above you cannot see the stairway to your left which could mean an enemy could be sneaking there and you'd miss them. Turn it up to just 95, and you would clearly see them.

Turning it up has an added effect of making the game feel faster, it can also add a slight fish eye feel to the camera at max. Both of these things might throw you at first, but I personally believe the added benefit of extra horizontal vision is really worth it.

This is also good for campaign, as enemies sneak and flank very often especially on higher difficulties.

WEAPON OFFSET

You can offset your weapon to a more central position so it doesn't take up as much space on the screen. This is especially helpful for larger weapons.

Go to:
Settings -> UI -> Scroll all the way to the bottom until you find Weapon Offsets.

Moving the sliders al the way to the left will move the weapon down and centre. You need to do it for all 4 weapon types: Melee, Rifle, Pistol, Heavy.

Here's Heavy default:

gcSsFk.png

And here's max left offset:

You gain a bit more space to see things with, it definitely helps imo.

Here's a Rifle shot too:

Default Offset:
gce2yM.png

Max Offset:
gcShnA.png

SHIELD COLOUR

You might have seen videos of players with different colour shields in MP, this is a setting you can find in UI and accessibility. As the game uses a holographic shield design, it can be hard to distinguish enemies even if you don't suffer from any kind of colour blindness or visual issue. I changed mine to yellow and purple, but you can switch it to whatever you want.

Look for the Outlines & Colours options in the UI menu, or Visual in the Accessibility menu.

RETICLE OUTLINE

This one is situationally helpful for me. It gives the white reticle a black outline, so if you hover over a bright background area you can still clearly see it. you can change the thickness of the outline and the opacity to suit.

This is found under the Visual header in the Accessibility menu.

-

There are more options you might like, it's worth exploring them for both MP and SP, but these are the standout ones that really helped me.
Mind blown at the weapon offset, had no idea that setting existed. Thanks for this

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
Early on and they absolutely killed it with the grunts voice lines and voice acting over all. So good.

"I hope the human afterlife sucks!" and "Don't be afraid...spartan." are two standout lines so far.

"This was the dream of my life!" (MC killed by a lucky Grunt)

This game is so damn good. Playing normal was fine indoor but, in the openworld lvl, it is so easy (atm). Am I the only one with this difference between indoor vs outdoor?

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I think they spent a good part of their extra time beefing up the combat dialogue lol. Some good stuff in there.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The weapons hit so different in campaign.

The mauler is super fun.
It's basically like a stronger pistol with bullet drop, It takes some skill to use but because of that its super satisfying to one shot dudes in the head with it.
It may actually be useful in multiplayer now that I know how to use it.

Also the pulse carbine, I think the bullets magnetize to the enemies more in campaign making it more useful (or they are just more static making them easier to hit) but it kind of wrecks.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't enjoy the 'feeling' in the ranked games but yes i have. I get absolutely dominated in like 9 out of 10 quick play games where i get placed in the scrub team and against players who play like they just pub stomp.

Opponents go like 15 - 2 and we 5 - 12 etc.
Ah, so you are finding it is putting you against opponents that are much too dominant, that definitely doesn't sound fun.

I think the most complaints I have seen are from higher ranked players who complain their QP matches are just as sweaty as ranked. I am finding similar, the better I do overall the harder my QP is.

Have you checked your stats at all? You can do that here: https://halotracker.com/

Once you sign in, you can see all your previous matches in the Matches menu on the too left. You can them click on individual players and see their stats and rank.

It might be worth checking just to see if you're being out against players of much higher rank/stats... and also checking your team balance to see if they're balanced fairly.

Not sure if it will help much, but it might give you some insight into what is happening.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The weapons hit so different in campaign.

The mauler is super fun.
It's basically like a stronger pistol with bullet drop, It takes some skill to use but because of that its super satisfying to one shot dudes in the head with it.
It may actually be useful in multiplayer now that I know how to use it.

Also the pulse carbine, I think the bullets magnetize to the enemies more in campaign making it more useful (or they are just more static making them easier to hit) but it kind of wrecks.
Yeah Mauler was super fun to use. Energy weapons in general are great against shield enemies. I still prefer the classic pulse rifle over the burst fire thingy.

Status
Not open for further replies.