• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Holy shit. The campaign is so fucking good. Omg. Just had my longest campaign session in years. Can't put it down. The moment to moment gameplay might be…the best an FPS has ever felt. Sandbox is incredible. 10/10 for that part at least. 😭😱🎉
This is about where I'm at after about 3 hours. It's shaping up to be the best Halo ever.

Low key loving the Jackel voice lines. "Shield gone. Run away now!"

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
what happens between this and
and this halo being blown up and us being defeated by that brute from halo wars 2 ??

Halo: Shadows of Reach novel happened.

I've just started reading it, and it's supposed to cover the period between Halo 5/Halo Wars 2 and Halo Infinite. (But I'm still very much at the beginning.)

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
Standard frags are nice and bouncy and will explode a short period after their first bounce.

Plasma grenades are slightly less bouncy and will stick to enemies.

Spike grenades will stick to the first surface it touches.

Dynamo grenades are more rolly and bouncy and have an extended electric area denial effect.
Plasma grenades stick, regular grenades roll and bounce before exploding, electric grenades roll and bounce and shock enemies in a decent radius instead of exploding and spike grenades stick and explode with projectiles that ricochet (good for indoors).
It's fairly simple: energy is generally more effective vs shields, kinetic vs armour.

The game wants you to experiment and try all the weapons out, that's a big reason why the game has only two slots and pushes you toward picking stuff up from the battle field as you need to.
Okay, thanks all!

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anything can top the environments from the second mission retrieving the Weapon. Best realization of Forerunner environments so far.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
It's awesome that we have a polished, competent Halo game that is only going to get better over time.

Started the campaign last night and finished the first mission with a huge grin. It looks great, plays even better and has amazing atmosphere so far.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Main gripe so far is grenade and equip switching. I can fix it using paddles and face buttons but it's just on the wrong side of 'yanking me out the flow for a second' at times.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even done with the campaign but I'm hopeful for some new biomes being added. Maybe going to a different part of the ring will be a desert biome, or a snow biome.

This semi open world stuff is such a tease (which is fine)…but I wanna traverse the whole ring seamlessly, seeing the biomes change as I make my way around.

Let me dream. Lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Main gripe so far is grenade and equip switching. I can fix it using paddles and face buttons but it's just on the wrong side of 'yanking me out the flow for a second' at times.
Is there any way they could avoid this on controller do you think, some kind of weapon wheel maybe? I've not played the campaign on pad yet, I probably won't either, just curious.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Loaded a razorback full of marines who I had given the special Skewer that explodes on contact… holy shit that is hilarious fun. Just roamed around causing chaos for a while.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Is there any way they could avoid this on controller do you think, some kind of weapon wheel maybe? I've not played the campaign on pad yet, I probably won't either, just curious.

A wheel a la Doom could work, but is a bit overkill for only 4 options - and with grenades, half the time you aren't carrying all 4 types.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
A wheel a la Doom could work, but is a bit overkill for only 4 options - and with grenades, half the time you aren't carrying all 4 types.
Yeh I was thinking the same thing, I guess they could simplify a wheel and just have the slots appear if you're carrying. That would definitely feel better than reaching for the d-pad.

I play with pad in MP half the time, no paddles, and reaching for the d-pad to mark definitely does break the flow a bit sometimes. I wonder if this is something they're looking at.

Mar 19, 2021
Am I the only one that barely ever finds any of the collectibles? Especially in linear levels I tend to just not find them, always been an issue in Halo for me

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that barely ever finds any of the collectibles? Especially in linear levels I tend to just not find them, always been an issue in Halo for me
You can use the scan to find everything, even skulls appear on it.

I'd recommend going to a point of interest like an outpost or FOB and just exploring the outskirts of that area, you will often find cool little details like an old sniper perch with a loaded sniper rifle, or a cave with a forerunner installation and an energy power weapon inside. It's pretty cool how much stuff there is lying around.

Mar 19, 2021
You can use the scan to find everything, even skulls appear on it.

I'd recommend going to a point of interest like an outpost or FOB and just exploring the outskirts of that area, you will often find cool little details like an old sniper perch with a loaded sniper rifle, or a cave with a forerunner installation and an energy power weapon inside. It's pretty cool how much stuff there is lying around.

I'll try and use scan more then thanks! I've only just gotten to the outside world but definitely planning to explore as much as possible

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The Razorback is the best addition to campaign I feel. Currently driving with a full squad decked out with hard light weapons and they are wrecking everything. I just did a drive-by while rescuing a marine squad.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try and use scan more then thanks! I've only just gotten to the outside world but definitely planning to explore as much as possible
They did a really good job of making exploring surprise me with little bits to find. I think it is a good thing they scaled things down from a full open world as there isn't much traditional loot to find, they have filled it with just enough surprise encounters and gear that it feels rewarding imo.

That first outpost in the open world has some cool little bits surrounding it, have fun exploring!

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of the best-playing games I think I've ever played. It just feels so damn good to play. The shooting is incredible as well. I am having such a good time with it.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad I didn't burn myself out on Ubisoft open worlds recently (last one I finished was Origins)
While the activities unlocked on the map are pretty by-the-book, in the context of Halo mechanics and AI interactions, it's pretty good! I've been scouring the entire first(2nd?) map. Don't know how I feel about being already at Tier 4 grapple upgrades though.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Playing on Heroic and dying quite a bit is actually completely OK because the lines from the grunts when you die are amazing and there seems to be loads of them.

"I did it. I did it. I DID IT! I DID IT!"

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Petition to remove the low jpg ass loading screen.

Not really an issue but 343 has talented artists how did they come up with this loading screen

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Enjoy it now imo, maybe cap it to 30 just so it is stable (I think there are ways to help make 30fps feel better on PC, too), and then think about a replay in future on better hardware when they have inevitably added more content and features.

The game's full glory is yet to come, so you won't be cheating yourself.

Like what?

What can I do to make 30fps as good as possible?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally not getting "Ubisoft open world" from this at all.

I don't know why, maybe it's the fact combat in a decent open world is actually good for the first time ever for me...

Mar 8, 2018
Rolling around with your squad of marines is so entertaining that it really makes me pine for co-op even more. Wildlands and Breakpoint aren't good games, but if there's one thing they do well it's the experience of rolling out with your buds to get into shenanigans. Halo's sandbox is so much more impressive, that the level of co-op chaos could be even better here. I always played these games with my brother (and later also my brother in law) and damn this would be SO GOOD with a squad.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

I don't know why, maybe it's the fact combat in a decent open world is actually good for the first time ever for me...

Yeah it doesn't feel like that to me. The world is smaller, the focus is utterly on combat, exploration and story (no cities, towns, 'side quests' that are perpendicular to the main story, etc), and the combat is infinitely better than most OW games, other than HZD for the 3rd person OW genre (although that had Ubi-itus more than this did).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Like what?

What can I do to make 30fps as good as possible?
I've never really looked into it too much, but what I remember people saying:

- Use rivatuner to cap frame rate to 30
- Turn off Vsync
- use a gamepad
- try motion blur if you have it off
- maybe try lowering your Hz if you have a high Hz monitor, something divisible by 30 (so, 60hz if possible)
The bosses seem pretty bad on legendary. Everything else is fun though!
I think they're so much fun on Legendary, personally. Really brutal and force you to play smart and efficiently.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Razorback is the best addition to campaign I feel. Currently driving with a full squad decked out with hard light weapons and they are wrecking everything. I just did a drive-by while rescuing a marine squad.
Grapplehook is my favourite, I love the traversal with it. Razorback is easily my second choice, so good and as you say, you can roll up on most places and clear Banished out.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Also did they just make chief Doom guy?

Chief doesn't feel that different (so far at least), in a good way. And if the player picks up on him knowing more than he's letting on (esp. re: the threat of the Banished firing the ring), it all makes sense. If anything, I think some of the whatever-I-got-things-to-kill DNA that we associate with modern Doom guy was borrowed from the way the Chief acts during the Halo game stories.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
This campaign is an unbelievable comeback after H5. 343 has gone from delivering my least favorite campaign in the series to what may damn well be the best.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah I think people just saw the map occupied by side stuff and assumed the worst. But in reality the map isn't oversaturated with 50 different types of side content like far cry, and unlike far cry theres enough variance between each base clearing side things that each one feels fairly unique, having objectives to complete them helps too, as opposed to "kill all the bad guys". Hell, just going for Spartan Cores, some of them require you to go through some pretty fun combat encounters to get to them.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
3 hours in, and this is definitely the best the campaign has felt since Halo 3. The emergent gameplay hasn't quite yet equaled the best levels of early Halo for me (Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room), but it's early on yet. Also really enjoying the variety of enemy dialogue.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
The stuttering during the cutscenes are so jarring. Anyone else get these? Also the lip syncing looks off putting too.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been brought up, but every time I quit the game and restart it, some of my changed settings get reverted back even though the change shows.

eg I turn the sprint lines off. Quit the game, (like all the way to the dash) and restart. After restarting, the sprint lines show but the option is still toggled off in the options.

I have to turn it on and off again for it to take effect.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So we are supposed to have played Halo Wars 2 and read a book to kinda know all of what happened after part 5 and the start of this?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
So we are supposed to have played Halo Wars 2 and read a book to kinda know all of what happened after part 5 and the start of this?

My sense of the story is that it wants us to be largely in the dark about what really transpired - it just wants us to know that humanity lost and is on the brink of extinction.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Does the game ever explain what war was apparently happening before this game started that humanity lost? I just got to the 'open world' portion.

EDIT: lol answered I guess right above me?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
After dealing with some annoying crashes and weird PC display handshake issues (my monitor would start flickering and straight up not showing a display during the opening cutscenes), I got to play an hour or so last night.

This is by far my favorite 343 campaign. I'm not quite sure how it stacks up to the original series but I'm loving it so far. I enjoyed Halo 4's writing and Halo 5's gameplay, but Infinite manages to successfully marry both this time around and it's fantastic. I love softie, talkative chief. Putting his relationship with Cortana at the center of the story was the best idea 343's had with the franchise, and it pays off here. It's crazy how well Steve Downes manages to convey genuine emotion through a dude that's been a killing machine for the last 20 years. Jen Taylor is a gem, and I have no idea how she's pulled off voicing so many distinct characters. On top of that, the art direction is wonderful, and I love the Banished chatter.

My only complaint is how much of a hard reset this feels like. I'm not that far in but this game makes 4 and 5 feel basically non-existent - this feels like a hard reboot set a long time after H3, not any sort of continuation of the setup we saw in the last two entries.

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Just unlocked the wasp, this fucking game somehow managed to get even better, like a whole new way of seeing the open world and tackling objectives. Fucking incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.