• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
My ONLY complaints with the campaign so far is the lack of "revert to last checkpoint" option and when you quit and then continue, the game forgets the checkpoint and puts you somewhere near the area.

Oh actually a third complaint. Why is it so slow to change grenades and equipment? I got to tap left or right THEN some other direction? Just let me keep clicking left to change grenades and right for equipment.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I'm seen glimpses of people making recommendations to turn off VRR if you are playing on an LG CX. I'll be playing later. Do I need to do that?

My gamma flickers like crazy with the gamma on and the first two levels are dark so you'll notice it. But man, this is the roughest framerate I've ever experienced since getting my Series X. I know VRR has probably smoothed out a bunch of games that technically performance worse, but with VRR being broken in Infinite and half the animations like the ledge clamber running at 30FPS, it's really feeling rough.

EDIT:

As I finished typing this my TV actually promoted me to turn VRR back in. I did and it's now much smoother and in the open world the flicker isn't as big an issue. So leave it on in the open world.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying it so far, some of the music reminds me of BotW with the piano arrangements of familiar themes.

Really weird you can't replay missions without starting a whole new save.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
People questioning if 343 can ever make Prometheans fun to fight and they're like "fuck it, let's dump those losers and fix the Brutes instead".

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
So far only a couple of little nitpicks really

1, not being able to knock down trees with the Scorpion tank kind of makes it useless
2, so far a lot of the game is shoot glowing power line to blow it up, so why make them take so many bullets to actually blow up?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My ONLY complaints with the campaign so far is the lack of "revert to last checkpoint" option and when you quit and then continue, the game forgets the checkpoint and puts you somewhere near the area.

Oh actually a third complaint. Why is it so slow to change grenades and equipment? I got to tap left or right THEN some other direction? Just let me keep clicking left to change grenades and right for equipment.

This so much.

I did it like this at the beginning and wondered why i couldn't change my grenades. Then i saw the tiny indicators (up, right, down).

Not ideal at all.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It turns out that jumping onto the slow carousel in level 2 is a mistake. Especially when you get a checkpoint away from the main platform.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda felt the opposite - the MC acting like "cool guy above it all" to him right away was… off-putting?

I see MC as ultimately compassionate and caring towards human grunts. Here - at least in the first good hour or so - he treats the pilot as an afterthought. It was jarring.
They had next to.no time to escape and overwhelming odds, he didn't have time to make sure the soldier was feeling okay.

Personally, that was the best part of the story so far.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
After 13 hours, I say that the FOB/Outpost system is completely useless in the game :(

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I've mostly come around on the grenade switch. I just have to remember which direction it is. And now I don't need to look at it at all to know what grenade I want to be equipping. If I'm out of a grenade, then I have to look where I'm starting before I cycle (or watch it the whole way through). Knowing that up is always plasma and down is always spike is ok. Still make mistakes and have to look, but if I took a few minutes to drill it, I'd be fine I'm sure. (Helps me to remember that the grenade I use the least - or is the most different, the dynamo, is left right - aka the hardest the access quickly.)

For equip, it's less vital, since I'm not doing fast switches that often. But knowing that right right is always grapple, the most commonly used item. Means that if the wrong thing comes out, I can just mash on right in a panic and it'll work lol.

After 13 hours, I say that the FOB/Outpost system is completely useless in the game :(
How so? It's certainly not required to play the game (by design). But, if you want a specific weapon or you want to load up some marines to go on an expedition, it can be fun. But yea, it's certainly not necessary to change your loadout at a base if you don't want to.

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Played for 1+ hour, opening intro is amazing and first mission awesome.

Soundtrack + ambient sounds top tier.

Hope the open world aspect is good and detailed like the first mission. Will wait though for a patch to fix some minor issues with cutscenes and janky animations before
playing.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
It makes very little sense for marines to auto leave vehicles if I exit. Sometimes I just want to park them somewhere so they can use the turret, now they just get out.. even in a fight.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Holy shit. The campaign is so fucking good. Omg. Just had my longest campaign session in years. Can't put it down. The moment to moment gameplay might be…the best an FPS has ever felt. Sandbox is incredible. 10/10 for that part at least. 😭😱🎉

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me what happened in Halo 5? I cannot play that game for more than 5 minutes to know what happened to Blue Team, Cortana, Buck and the rest

Cortana didn't really die at the end of Halo 4. Instead she found some ancient tech that showed her to 'cure her rampancy', but the with the Infinite processing power she obtained, she convinced herself that the best way to keep the universe safe is by violently forcing all the space faring societies to submit to her.

She secretly convinced most AIs to help her with this cause. And also found giant forerunner EMP machines , "Guardians"hidden deep under the surface of inhabited planets. She massacred millions in the process of bringing these "Guardians" out of storage.

Cortana's plot didn't really come to light until the end. Most of the game is spent doing marginally related stuff. Team Osiris is hunting Chief because he's AWOL. At one point Team Osiris is tasked with hitching a ride to Chief and Cortana's location via one of the Guardians. Coincidentally it's located on the Elite homeworld, and emerges in the midst of the final battle of a civil war. So Buck and Co help Arbiter and Co win the war before they ride the giant EMP machine to get to Chief.

Blue Team begins the game on a mission to scuttle an abandoned, clandestine UNCS research facility before a covenant faction can get their paws on the secrets. This thread ends up going nowhere because Chief has a vision about Cortana when he gets knocked out by a Hunter. Instead of reporting back to the UNSC he and Blue Team go AWOL to find the source of Chiefs vision.

Blue Team spends the rest of the runtime on a artificial Forerunner planet, fighting Cortana's ancient Forerunner robotic loyalist, the Warden Eternal. Eventually Cortana deletes her partner to save Chief. It's unclear why Cortana allowed her partner to repeatedly try to kill chief in the first place considering she wanted Chief alive, and she lead him to this place with hope he'd join her on quest to save the galaxy from itself. Chief declines, so Cortana plans to imprison him and Blue Team for a few thousand years so that when they wake up they'll see the logic in her plan.

Team Osiris arrives in time to save Chief from Cortana. The good guys reunite with the rest of the UNSC on the Infinity. They try to hide from Cortana in slipspace, but she finds them and the game ends.

Last edited:

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
The sounds in this game are top notch and I'm blown away with just how great the game is.

Battlefield disappointed me beyond belief but Halo saved 2021

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I wish I could spawn marines at will along with ODST's and Spartan 4's. Imagine loading a Razorback with 5 decked out Spartans raiding the Banished.

Or having silenced weapons and loading ODST's and going at night to a Banished camp.

Stuff for future expansions.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Ive used it a bunch of times to load up the transport with marines and go roaming. That and for easy fast travel. Its not like its some game changing thing. It just does what it does.
I use them for fast travel alone, nothing else. Marine companions are not worth much I have noticed, they die from a few shots (Even if I put SPNKR in their hands they don't live long)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I know 'the x platform's BOTW' is played out and almost parody at this point but...

Grappling hooking your way up mountains and stumbling across stuff is giving me total BOTW vibes.

Oct 25, 2017
Lore question for lore nerds (not directly related to infinite)

so the flood are the precursors right, after their defence mechanism dust thing to survive but became corrupt, but are they still sentient or are they now just mindless parasites or are they actively seeking revenge for being betrayed by the forerunners?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I like all the ways you can find power weapons scattered around, like the sniper perch under the very first outpost, and the forerunner room with the Heatwave toward the back of it. Makes it feel like the world is being used, or was used.

I'm also super glad they went with semi-open in the end, even if it was because they failed at their ambition. I think a full on open world might have been too much to transition to right away from older Halo games, maybe in future it could work. This just feels the exact right size for this game.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
The all gameplay loop of planning a attack literally work on me.

Take Razorback
Save marines & go loot variant weapons
Explore thing don't indicate in the map
Discover

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So that 30 hour estimate for completion is going to be 60 hours for me. It scratches my exploration fetish so well, I'm grappling everywhere I can and exploring the heck out of the ring.

15% after 5 hours on Legendary.

Think first two Levels took my 2 hours.

I'm exploring all there is to see lol, even if there isn't much.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Man, I'm torn. I'm adoring this game but I've reached the open world part and my performance tanked. Even of low I'm having 30~40fps with big stutters. It still playable, but I want to experience this in its full glory. I don't know what to do.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Do saved marines hang out at (on of) your bases or do they just follow you for a while?

I have done most stuff solo, but want to get the marines involved now :)

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Campaign froze, so had to alt+f4 and now it's doing the Xbox Gaming Services glitch from the Xbox App; big ouff. PC restart doesn't do anything.

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
I wish the ammo types and grenades were explained better. It seems that plasma weapons are better against shields? And what's the difference between the grenades? The stick grenades seem to, well, stick, I believe?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm torn. I'm adoring this game but I've reached the open world part and my performance tanked. Even of low I'm having 30~40fps with big stutters. It still playable, but I want to experience this in its full glory. I don't know what to do.
Enjoy it now imo, maybe cap it to 30 just so it is stable (I think there are ways to help make 30fps feel better on PC, too), and then think about a replay in future on better hardware when they have inevitably added more content and features.

The game's full glory is yet to come, so you won't be cheating yourself.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the ammo types and grenades were explained better. It seems that plasma weapons are better against shields? And what's the difference between the grenades? The stick grenades seem to, well, stick, I believe?
Standard frags are nice and bouncy and will explode a short period after their first bounce.

Plasma grenades are slightly less bouncy and will stick to enemies.

Spike grenades will stick to the first surface it touches.

Dynamo grenades are more rolly and bouncy and have an extended electric area denial effect.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Plasma grenades stick, regular grenades roll and bounce before exploding, electric grenades roll and bounce and shock enemies in a decent radius instead of exploding and spike grenades stick and explode with projectiles that ricochet (good for indoors).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's fairly simple: energy is generally more effective vs shields, kinetic vs armour.

The game wants you to experiment and try all the weapons out, that's a big reason why the game has only two slots and pushes you toward picking stuff up from the battle field as you need to.

NightMystic

Oct 27, 2017
This may be a silly question, but how do you leave Outpost Tremonious to tackle the FOBs on that side of the ring?

I jumped on to the ship with the Pilot to go to the second section, but when I fast travel back I can't figure out how to get out of the base.

Also, anyone know what's up with that Halo Infinite arcade cabinet near the first base?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This may be a silly question, but how do you leave Outpost Tremonious to tackle the FOBs on that side of the ring?

I jumped on to the ship with the Pilot to go to the second section, but when I fast travel back I can't figure out how to get out of the base.
I tried this last night, went back there and grabbed a warthog, filled it up with marines... and couldn't figure a way out. Unless you need to go back through the main building you came from.... it must unlock later or something.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
After FH5 PG and Turn10 logos only showing the first time you boot the game, always showing the Xbox game studios and 343 logos everytime you boot the game feels weird.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People questioning if 343 can ever make Prometheans fun to fight and they're like "fuck it, let's dump those losers and fix the Brutes instead".
Brutes have never been this much fun, i've actually never liked fighting them compared to Elites/grunts/jackals. The way their armour breaks apart is so satisfying.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Human status 'dead'. Me status 'alive'.

The grunts always steal the VA spotlight with their dialogue.

is there anything stopping you from having all the SPNKRs and marines you want?
This sounds wicked busted and fun

At one point I've seen close to 6-7 just wandering near me. I feel like you can recruit more tho. And there's nothing I've seen restricting you from crafting weapons at the fobs. You also find power weapons laying around the map somewhat often, allowing you to arm the marines with better gear.

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
Brutes have never been this much fun, i've actually never liked fighting them compared to Elites/grunts/jackals. The way their armour breaks apart is so satisfying.
I thought they were ok in 3, maybe they feel marginally better here so far. So are Prometheans really dumped altogether? That's a bit of a bummer.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Cortana didn't really die at the end of Halo 4. Instead she found some ancient tech that showed her to 'cure her rampancy', but the with the Infinite processing power she obtained, she convinced herself that the best way to keep the universe safe is by violently forcing all the space faring societies to submit to her.

She secretly convinced most AIs to help her with this cause. And also found giant forerunner EMP machines , "Guardians"hidden deep under the surface of inhabited planets. She massacred millions in the process of bringing these "Guardians" out of storage.

Cortana's plot didn't really come to light until the end. Most of the game is spent doing marginally related stuff. Team Osiris is hunting Chief because he's AWOL. At one point Team Osiris is tasked with hitching a ride to Chief and Cortana's location via one of the Guardians. Coincidentally it's located on the Elite homeworld, and emerges in the midst of the final battle of a civil war. So Buck and Co help Arbiter and Co win the war before they ride the giant EMP machine to get to Chief.

Blue Team begins the game on a mission to scuttle an abandoned, clandestine UNCS research facility before a covenant faction can get their paws on the secrets. This thread ends up going nowhere because Chief has a vision about Cortana when he gets knocked out by a Hunter. Instead of reporting back to the UNSC he and Blue Team go AWOL to find the source of Chiefs vision.

Blue Team spends the rest of the runtime on a artificial Forerunner planet, fighting Cortana's ancient Forerunner robotic loyalist, the Warden Eternal. Eventually Cortana deletes her partner to save Chief. It's unclear why Cortana allowed her partner to repeatedly try to kill chief in the first place considering she wanted Chief alive, and she lead him to this place with hope he'd join her on quest to save the galaxy from itself. Chief declines, so Cortana plans to imprison him and Blue Team for a few thousand years so that when they wake up they'll see the logic in her plan.

Team Osiris arrives in time to save Chief from Cortana. The good guys reunite with the rest of the UNSC on the Infinity. They try to hide from Cortana in slipspace, but she finds them and the game ends.
what happens between this and
and this halo being blown up and us being defeated by that brute from halo wars 2 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.