• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YaoGuia

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
There's just something off with the lighting, even in these smaller multiplayer maps, it looks washed out and like 360-era lighting.

And it looked really frame-pacy/frame-droppy for something that's supposed to be 120fps.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Sigh, really disappointed that it seems like it's much slower paced/less movement oriented than Halo 5. If anything Master Chief Collection showed definitively that Halo doesn't work with M&K due to the ease of tracking targets. The thrusters and "advanced mobility" added a new skill ceiling and moving around the map felt so much fun with all the tools constantly at your disposal.

I'm sure it'll still be more fun than Halo 1-Reach and I'll still get it and most likely enjoy it a lot, but the core gameplay seems like a step back from Halo 5.

Part of me feels like this...especially with the removal of thruster. But then part of me says this looks a ton like Halo 3, and Halo 3 is peak Halo. So I'm actually pretty stoked, even though there's nothing here that feels "new".

The outdoor lighting does look iffy though.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can see the outlines that replaces the full on RvB in this screenshot

vIgkpNw.png

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What they showed of campaign, Chief going through the debris soup and new cortana, was messy and all over the shop a bit. The overview of campaign level looknice at first glance, will need to watch again.

The multiplayer looked very much distilled Halo with the addition of the grapple hook. It definitely isn't trying to be anything grander or reimagined, it's Halo to the core.

Very disappointed they didn't show campaign encounters or something more.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The gameplay and environments look so damn great. And they've absolutely nailed the art style and music from what I can tell. I'm saving my reservations about the campaign for the next substantial demo. I think that no matter what, the gameplay is going to redeem it.

The devs seem really tuned in to what makes Halo so fun. I have a good feeling about the sandbox and all the iterative design improvements to old systems and weapons.

I don't really give a damn about multiplayer, but any multiplayer footage gives clues about the gameplay stuff I know I'm going to enjoy.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
They really don't look that out of the world considering Halo 3 had a lot of the same or stuff in the same vein (Hayabusa). It looks patently Halo.
My problem is less about it looking like it belongs in the universe and more that it's just not very cohesive looking. It's certainly not a new thing with Halo. The last couple of entries were full of tacky looking armor. I guess it's to be expected since they're going the f2p route.

I play Halo 3 regularly and that game looks so clean in terms of aesthetic. When you're playing a multiplayer game I feel like visual legibility is an important thing. You lose some of that with wonky rainbow armor.

Oct 29, 2017
So uh, that looked pretty bad. Have you guys booted up Halo 5 recently in 4K? As someone who has played a ton of Halo 5 (and doesn't really like it that much compared to the Bungie games), it really doesn't look like a massive improvement. Lots of warehouse looking levels. I also really do not understand the gimmick of the grappling hook. I feel like Microsoft/343 is really misunderstanding/mismanaging what made Halo 1-3 great, and constantly trying to reinvent the wheel with new mobility stuff while missing on the core gameplay, fun game types, and level design.

I know gamers are by and large captivated and will post hyperbolically about the next shiny thing, but as someone who played a ton of CE in high school this doesn't look great. If this is what you all want though... I guess I'm just getting old and it might be time to just stop caring about Halo.

And yes, the lack of any campaign footage is very concerning. Also you bring Joseph Staten out there and you don't run an in-game demo of the campaign or multiplayer? Tremendous misfire. Like I know these studios have been impacted by Covid pretty significantly, but what the hell is going on at 343?

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It was amazing I need it now…that being said we are still expecting a bigger mode than the BTB described right?…I hope

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a long-time Halo fan, this did surprisingly little for me to be honest. It looks alright. But honestly nothing special or exciting. Also felt like we just watched a bunch of uninspired Valhalla and Foundry maps.

I'll definitely check it out and hope to be blown away. But it's just too hard to get excited about Halo these days.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, that looked pretty bad. Have you guys booted up Halo 5 recently in 4K? As someone who has played a ton of Halo 5 (and doesn't really like it that much compared to the Bungie games), it really doesn't look like a massive improvement. Lots of warehouse looking levels. I also really do not understand the gimmick of the grappling hook. I feel like Microsoft/343 is really misunderstanding/mismanaging what made Halo 1-3 great, and constantly trying to reinvent the wheel with new mobility stuff while missing on the core gameplay, fun game types, and level design.

I know gamers are by and large captivated and will post hyperbolically about the next shiny thing, but as someone who played a ton of CE in high school this doesn't look great. If this is what you all want though... I guess I'm just getting old and it might be time to just stop caring about Halo.

And yes, the lack of any campaign footage is very concerning. Also you bring Joseph Staten out there and you don't run an in-game demo of the campaign or multiplayer? Tremendous misfire. Like I know these studios have been impacted by Covid pretty significantly, but what the hell is going on at 343?
Exactly. The problem is that 343 is not Bungie and don't have that magic.

And the numerous warehouse-like maps get old very fast.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No campaign gameplay is a big concern for me, MP looked fun at least.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
Gameplay looks fun. Not a fan of the exaggerated tracers and shield flares though. Hope there's also options to turn hit markers/sound effects off for a more classic Halo feel.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Looks really interesting and glad they are returning to equipment based buffs.

Of course for me Halo lives and dies on its map, so I really hope we have unique and interesting maps this time as opposed to juts shit tons of remakes and 3 lane maps

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is worrisome that even Starfield and Forza had a release date

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I'm seeing so many people still trying to knock this game's visuals. The MP trailer looks FANTASTIC. Am I crazy or...?

I thought it looked solid visually, but not fantastic. Both visuals and gameplay it looks like Halo 3 but busier, and the lighting seems a little off. I'm for it overall though.

It sounds great though...that BR, whew!

Edit: Ragdoll physics seem...toned down? When that one dude gets hit with the skull he flies, but the sticky grenade doesn't do much. Hope I'm wrong here, I wanna see Spartans flying.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Looks fantastic, huge props to the devs over at 343 that must've been a cathartic feeling seeing the reaction to this year's presentation after all the shit they got last year

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
As someone who was quite disappointed and critical of the visuals last year, I'm honestly pleasantly surprised by this year - both campaign and multiplayer are looking great and I'm re-hyped by what was shown. Gotta give credit to the team at 343, it looks great to me.

Oct 31, 2017
Sigh, really disappointed that it seems like it's much slower paced/less movement oriented than Halo 5. If anything Master Chief Collection showed definitively that Halo doesn't work with M&K due to the ease of tracking targets. The thrusters and "advanced mobility" added a new skill ceiling and moving around the map felt so much fun with all the tools constantly at your disposal.

I'm sure it'll still be more fun than Halo 1-Reach and I'll still get it and most likely enjoy it a lot, but the core gameplay seems like a step back from Halo 5.
Slowing the game down is probably the best for the game's health/popularity, but I agree that it's (right now) a bit disappointing as someone who also really enjoys the pace and skill needed to do well in Halo 5.

It looks fun at least, which is what I was mostly hoping for.

With regard to M&K and Halo, yeah. Halo being a controller focused FPS means it has always had a specific pace, one that a M&KB can outright break (snipers, melee fights, etc. etc.). For most people, cross play is nothing but a boon for them. But as a controller player who plays Halo because it's been the cream of the crop for FPS controller multiplayer, I'm definitely really hesitant about cross play and the embrace of m&kb for Halo in general. It has the potential to seriously impact my personal enjoyment of the game, especially if trying to reign in control and platform options results in a dysfunctional matchmaking. Hopefully this won't be a big deal for me.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was really surprised to see no release date. I'm assuming second half November or December then?

Honestly I thought it had a disappointing showing. Not what I was hoping for at all. Was really surprised to see IGN so pleased with it. "Exceeded our expectations and blew our minds". Huh?

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
That trailer looked great honestly. I mean visually it looks fine for a multiplayer game where the gameplay loop and framerate are key. Hopefully it is well optimized for PC and works better than Halo MCC. Not that it was terrible or anything but it could have used some more work. Also nice to see they are doing away with RVB so you can keep your armor customizations in game. That is pretty great. Sounds like you can customize what colors enemies will look when playing. All for that.

Cant wait for more gameplay tomorrow.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, that looked a lot better than I expected. I'm on board

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Looked fucking fun as hell, I'm very excited for 24-player BTB in particular and I really hope they'll knock this one out of the park.

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly. The problem is that 343 is not Bungie and don't have that magic.

And the numerous warehouse-like maps get old very fast.

I just don't understand who Microsoft is soliciting feedback from when they are developing these games. Like the fact that they prominently showed that Samurai-looking armor (that I know has a name, and I honestly don't care what it is called) tells me exactly who they are focus testing their gameplay concepts with, and honestly that is very concerning. Those are the people from the Halo community that Microsoft should be ignoring, not building their games around. Call that a hyperbolic statement or whatever, but if you've played any amount of recent Halo games you definitely know the type when it comes to that armor set.

On a fundamental level, showing that armor set does nothing for me as a long-term Halo fan. I want them to show something like Blood Gulch, or Zanzibar. I want to see cool symmetrical and asymmetrical maps and gameplay types, not people flying around warehouses shooting grappling hooks all over the place.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

Yeah this was always my main concern about infinite . Even before we saw the first gameplay it sounded like they were gonna slow down the pace a lot

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand who Microsoft is soliciting feedback from when they are developing these games. Like the fact that they prominently showed that Samurai-looking armor (that I know has a name, and I honestly don't care what it is called) tells me exactly who they are focus testing their gameplay concepts with, and honestly that is very concerning. Those are the people from the Halo community that Microsoft should be ignoring, not building their games around. Call that a hyperbolic statement or whatever, but if you've played any amount of recent Halo games you definitely know the type when it comes to that armor set.

On a fundamental level, showing that armor set does nothing for me as a long-term Halo fan. I want them to show something like Blood Gulch, or Zanzibar. I want to see cool symmetrical and asymmetrical maps and gameplay types, not people flying around warehouses shooting grappling hooks all over the place.

Yeah exactly - I was extremely disappointed. And I've given 343 a chance every time.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Yup, you seem to fall squarely in that 'vocal minority' that thankfully 343 is ignoring.

no, it doesn't look 'bad'. It looks great in fact. And no, it's weird to dismiss the grappling hook when you haven't even tried it out to see how it changes gameplay.

They aren't going to remake CE again. The franchise has to move forward. I'm glad they're working in that direction.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why this game attracts the worst of trolls.
I don't even know why I come to this forum any more.