• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I don't have a source, but this was talked about a lot by 343i in their post-launch retrospectives.

...which is also why they decided to upgrade their engine.
But you yorself said that they could have fixed it, no? There is abig difference between something being impossible and something not making financial sense because the playerbase isnt big enough to be worth it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
But you yorself said that they could have fixed it, no? There is abig difference between something being impossible and something not making financial sense because the playerbase isnt big enough to be worth it.
Eh, it sounded like the problem was significant enough that it required a pretty substantial engine change to alleviate. I'm no engineer or coder, but with how they spoke of the challenges and limitations, it seemed to be an issue that required not just some light plumbing to resolve, but some serious outright gutting of the foundations. H5 (especially it's post-launch GAAS component) was supposedly a project held together by tape and glue.

I might be misremembering, but one example I can recall is the Forge team talking about having to exploit bugs and flaws in the engine, just so that they could push new features and changes; rather than designing efficient and elegant solutions, they basically had to trick the game into supporting what they wanted, which was much to their chagrin and still with major limitations (e.g. when they introduced object textures they were only able to provide ~7 varieties, when ideally they wanted to offer hundreds).

Regardless, whilst Moose is being cynical with a ~3 year projection, eventually there'll inevitably come a time where 343i wants to do something that demands more than just a simple engine update. And that's when they'll move on and iterate. Hopefully this go around 343i have made more future-proof tools.

Last edited:

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm gonna be so bummed if I don't get into the flights

I work form home and need some new entertainment in this place now

Nov 14, 2017
Obviously companies always talk up their new engines but from what we've seen of Infinite it's almost certain that there's been a significant change in how assets are handled compared to earlier titles. Halo 5's mammoth install size and sluggish menus were consequences of those systems. Beyond just taking them at their word, Infinite being open world-ish and having much more extensive armour customisation alone are indicative.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I have a feeling 343 is going to nail the Forge aspect of Halo Infinite with the extra power of the next consoles and PC (even though it's on Xbox One as well, I wonder if they will increase limits to build scope and limit to next gen for certain budgets of maps).

The "creator economy" is a big focus from Microsoft as can be seen in their recent business statements and in Minecraft Bedrock edition. I think Forge fits in that mold a bit, even if it can't be monetized. Maybe they open skins and effects and sprays up to community creations like the Minecraft marketplace is.

All in all, I think they recognize the importance of the creative mode ala Fortnite and Roblox and Minecraft and will want to implement something similar with Forge in Halo Infinite, even if they've been pretty quiet on the mode lately.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
They are REALLY pushing the flights

We might be getting an announcement for the flight soon.
image0.png

I doubt they'd shadow drop it like this image suggest, but I could totally see them announcing a mid-late July date for the flight soon.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
We might be getting an announcement for the flight soon.
image0.png

I doubt they'd shadow drop it like this image suggest, but I could totally see them announcing a mid-late July date for the flight soon.

Agreed.

This was also from the most recent canon fodder:
For now, that will do it for us this time around. Don't wander off too far though… we do have a bit of a special milestone coming up next issue it seems like.

Until next time… Live well, play Halo, and it's Spartan Agryna [ah-GREEN-yuh]. Laurette is her first name.

We seem to get a mid month and a late month can fodder story. 🤞

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
One thing they should test the most is the login in servers lol. Better have a login queue implemented for launch. Otherwise RIP people getting in games and logging in day one

Ark

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The hype is very, very real. I've been playing a lot of MCC online lately to tide me over. Playing halo on PC with kb/m and 240hz is an absolute dream.

Hopefully I'll get into one of the flights! I did for the MCC entries, though I'm aware that means nothing :D

Addy Edwin

Aug 7, 2018
No new insight from this?

Don't think so. Got so annoyed with the interview format with ppl talking over each other, that I dropped out. They start talking about Halo infinite about 40 min in, and the questions were all pretty much what the 12-min MP overview had :/

I'll wait for someone to summarize if there was anything else interesting

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm sure the flights will go live the minute my vacation starts. lol

Of course I shouldn't moan about a vacation, but the timing is about right for my sort of luck.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I have most of July off and no real plans, I'd love to get to play Halo then. I'm just gonna stick with pessimism, though. It happens when it happens.

Oct 25, 2017
No new insight from this?
It was mostly the hosts talking amongst themselves, not actually that many halo questions for their guest. No big insights, just talking about what was already revealed.
Although there was one particular moment that got me a lil spooked. I'm probably just nervous after 4 & 5. At one point a host gave a vague example about everyone having their favorite iconic weapons/spots on classic maps and asked if they'd be bringing back that distinct feeling in the new maps.

Patrick started answering by talking about how the sandbox team is trying to give every weapons and equipment a distinct place. He then went on to say what sounded like:
"Every time you see a weapon on a weapon rack, depending on where you are, it's like, okay what choice am I gonna make? Is this what I want to pick up? Or you know, am I gonna go buy... like, ythink...yknow in uhh....In the overview trailer there's a really great shot of the tower on Live Fire, and I think that's gonna, yknow some people are gonna love that spot with their favorite sniper-type weapon, other people won't. I think there will definitely be that feeling when people are playing."

Patrick doesn't complete his sentence there. Did he mention buying a weapon and trail off then switch gears to a different thought about the Live Fire map?
Could have been "by" instead of "buy."

Just some simple stammering? Probably. Seems far-fetched to me that they might include something like that considering they seem to want to avoid that sort of drama this time around, but it's what came to mind when I heard that little bit trailing off...
maybe it was "by" and I'm just too nervous after killstreaks and req packs
ive been hurt before

(You can watch that moment here about 1hr1m in: https://youtu.be/NvXqz6okSzw?t=3694)

Last edited:

ultimaotaku

Oct 25, 2017
It was mostly the hosts talking amongst themselves, not actually that many halo questions for their guest.

Although there was one particular moment that stuck out to me which I thought was interesting. At one point a host gave a vague example about everyone having their favorite iconic weapons/spots on classic maps and asked if they'd be bringing back that distinct feeling in the new maps.

Patrick started answering by talking about how the sandbox team is trying to give every weapons and equipment a distinct place. He then went on to say:
"Every time you see a weapon on a weapon rack, depending on where you are, it's like, okay what choice am I gonna make? Is this what I want to pick up? Or you know, am I gonna go buy... like, ythink...yknow in uhh....In the overview trailer there's a really great shot of the tower on Live Fire, and I think that's gonna, yknow some people are gonna love that spot with their favorite sniper-type weapon, other people won't. I think there will definitely be that feeling when people are playing."

Patrick doesn't complete his sentence there. He seems to mention buying a weapon during multiplayer and then suddenly trails off, stammers a bit, then switches gears to a different thought about the Live Fire map.
Of course where he was going with that is up for debate. He never finished that sentence, can't say for sure what he was talking about. It could have been "by" instead of "buy" (although I think that would make less sense in the structure of his sentence).

Just some simple stammering? Or a slip of an unrevealed gameplay component? Who can say!
Could it be possible that multiplayer will include something inspired by Warzone's req stations, where some form of point/currency system will allow players to buy weapons or choose what the weapon racks are supplied with? Or is there perhaps more to Infinite's new requisition drops than simple respawning?
Seems far-fetched to me considering they seem to want to avoid that sort of drama this time around, but it's what came to mind when I heard that little bit trailing off...
maybe it was just "by"

You can watch that moment here about 1hr1m in: https://youtu.be/NvXqz6okSzw?t=3694
Listening to it it sounds like he means "go by" not "go buy" :)

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
I made a compilation video editing all the current material of the multiplayer and leaving only the gameplay sections with the first person, third person, etc perspectives, the video starts the 1:35 minutes mark it's at 1080p 60FPS enjoy!:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Ark

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I made a compilation video editing all the current material of the multiplayer and leaving only the gameplay sections with the first person, third person, etc perspectives, the video starts the 1:35 minutes mark it's at 1080p 60FPS enjoy!:

Thanks for this video, this is great!

I'm actually addicted to watching Halo Infinite videos like this and BF2042 videos. I'm so outrageously hyped for both games it's not even funny.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
If by august you mean december then yes thats when the halo 5 beta was.. we are very late already
I am a QA tester, we started the closed beta at the end of August. Since then we have got the Insider program, so presumably the first test flight will come at the end of the summer instead of QA testing.

I know what you mean by the way, it's just that the normal test for Halo 5 started much earlier, but we did a special test at the end of the summer before the launch.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I am a QA tester, we started the closed beta at the end of August. Since then we have got the Insider program, so presumably the first test flight will come at the end of the summer instead of QA testing.

I know what you mean by the way, it's just that the normal test for Halo 5 started much earlier, but we did a special test at the end of the summer before the launch.
My point is that its late for a beta already, especially when compared to halo 5

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
My point is that its late for a beta already, especially when compared to halo 5

Infinite has been in flighting for a number of months now. Still later into development than 5 but Covid, delays and all that. 343 are slowly allowing in larger rings of players over time. Hopefully most if not all insiders should be invited over the next couple of months.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Infinite has been in flighting for a number of months now. Still later into development than 5 but Covid, delays and all that. 343 are slowly allowing in larger rings of players over time. Hopefully most if not all insiders should be invited over the next couple of months.
Im sure halo had lots of playtesting too before we the players tested the beta almost a year before release.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this video, this is great!

I'm actually addicted to watching Halo Infinite videos like this and BF2042 videos. I'm so outrageously hyped for both games it's not even funny.

You are welcome yeah I'm very HYPED for both Halo Infinite and Battlefield 2042 can't wait to play the two!