• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
Atm i want to stop playing...but its so much fun. Nahhhhhhhh i will keep going until they shut down the servers.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Last night some guy finished me with a melee me at an awkward angle from above as I jumped up towards him and the game interpreted it as a ninja and announced it to the whole server in big yellow letters on the killfeed. Didn't need to be done dirty like that. 😪

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
accidentally took a BR that a teammate was waiting for, looked at them, dropped it at their feet and then we both humped the ground in celebration. great addition

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
accidentally took a BR that a teammate was waiting for, looked at them, dropped it at their feet and then we both humped the ground in celebration. great addition
It's definitely a cool addition. At the risk of making it too complicated, could be interesting if holding the Drop button brought up a radial where you can drop whatever is in your inventory: either weapon, equipment, grenades.

I don't like the idea of slowing down the pace but if you can drop weapons, why not other stuff too?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

Good spot to stop playing. Really wished I could've gotten to 20 kills, but oh well.

Can't really run around aimlessly against the spartan bots, but they're far from difficult still. The difference between the first bots and these feels kind of minimal to me, to be honest. PvP will of course be the main thing in the final release, but I do hope they'll continue working on these bots.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Can't go back to bots after PvP last night lol... think its time to finally return the xbox I stole for this 😞

Have any of you Halo vets checked out Splitgate? Wondering if that might scratch the itch for the next few months

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you Halo vets checked out Splitgate? Wondering if that might scratch the itch for the next few months

Sort of, it's got a bit faster time to kill I think. But it's enjoyable.

The annoying thing is that it's hard to play ATM with the queue times. So MCC is probably the best thing to scratch the itch until Splitgate adds more server capacity.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Has there been any coverage about the bot AI? Be interested to know if they're using anything like Drivatar for them.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Can't go back to bots after PvP last night lol... think its time to finally return the xbox I stole for this 😞

No because the queue to play is always over an hour since they're capped at 65k concurrent players.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, to me the radar now rewards true careful gameplay but doesn't reward camping.

If you're not careful by sprinting or firing needlessly then you'll make yourself vulnerable.
Yeah, it effectively lessens camping. It takes away a vital piece of information, the argument that it makes camping more effective is not really true.
I thought the motion tracker change was great until I entered PvP. Felt a bit useless. Definitely gonna take some used to.

I'm not entirely against the change but eh. Part of me is like… just keep it the same and disable it in competitive like they're inevitably going to do anyway. Let us casuals have our fun
Thing is, it's better for casual play too. When you're going up against competent (note I said competent, not necessarily competitive) Halo players in casual play, do you really want them to know your every move when approaching a battle? Did you really enjoy crouch walking around slowly just so you won't appear on a radar? Because when you spawn with an AR/Pistol and the enemy team has BR's and range weapons, that's what you'll have to do to approach.

The reality is that's nearly anyone who's played a Halo game before and doesn't just play it like CoD (run straight to action, fight/die, repeat).

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it effectively lessens camping. It takes away a vital piece of information, the argument that it makes camping more effective is not really true.
I actually hadn't considered this. I really like that not sprinting means your not visible on radar unless you shoot or you're spotted/marked but the idea that it will actually help alleviate some camping since you can't just stare at the radar the whole time which is great.

Last edited:

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
How do I make sure I get the nameplate reward or whatever it was? Do you have to do something special?

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do I make sure I get the nameplate reward or whatever it was? Do you have to do something special?

The Nameplate is just a way to highlight community members who do something special, it's something that can still bee earned post Tech Preview but it's not earnable by any and everyone

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Jumped back in for the final few minutes, played two games, but couldn't get in for a third even with 15 minutes technically left. M

INEEDIT

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a casual standpoint I think the following should be fixed with radar.

1. Footsteps being louder. I don't need radar in Apex because you can generally tell where someone is. Listening to footsteps has been seen as a tryhard thing in the CoD days but games like Apex have shown it can be a consciously designed and mixed very well. I like that the mixing prioritizes people shooting at you but you shouldn't mute all other sounds because of that.

2. Increase the range. The radar is nerfed already. Make it classic Halo range.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
got in one final game after work which was nice. Not sure if its working any more or if im just struggling locally but either way I had a lot of fun with it.

ill happily leave the beta on my machine if I can go listen to that amazing music whenever I want.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Was able to sneak in a match at 12:58PM EST

That was a fun ass flight and I am so pumped to play more

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my final few matches in.

Absolutely fantastic, 343 have done an incredible job. This weekend has made me giddy with excitement for the full game, I think they've absolutely nailed it.

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with halo infinite so far. I really hope this test is a small slice and not some destiny beta thing where what we are seeing is a good chunk of the game.

my only gripe about the game is the way incoming bullets look. Idk if it was pistol shots or what but they looked like pellets or something. I could be crazy but something always looked strange to me.

I still hope we get the halo shotgun everybody knows. The bulldog is great but not nearly as satisfying. Bulldog seems like a low tier power weapon.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
folks wrap it up, there's no banana physics. this game is doomed at launch. cancelling my preorder smh why would you do this to me 343

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Had a great time with the Flight, especially when they opened up player v player. Looking forward to the next one and will look out for a survey.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I managed to get few more games in before the end. It was so much fun even with a very limited slice of content.

I look forward to PVP flights and seeing how the game keeps evolving.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Haven't played yet but the stuff about the radar is very encouraging. Anxiously checking the motion tracker during PvP was always my least favorite aspect. Too often my eyes left the environment to fixate on that tiny blue circle.

Paper Wario

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see the flight gone, but I'm very excited to see the post-flight report from 343 to get their perspective on what worked and what they need to change/improve for the next flight and for final release.

Wolffen

Oct 27, 2017
East coast
This thread has flown by, so I'm sure I missed it, but is there anywhere to give direct feedback to 343i on the flight? I know we've got a survey coming in soon, but didn't know if there was an email, discord, etc. forums for dropping thoughts and such into. (This was my first flight).

Outside of Spartan Ops, this is my first real foray into Halo PVP in a looong time (Reach, to be precise). Halo 4 MP and Halo 5 MP never appealed to me; after playing through the series since CE (and a crap-ton of games in H2, H3, and Reach) they just didn't scratch that itch (and I'm mostly moved over to co-op/PVE focused games as I've gotten older and can't hang with the skills of those 20 years my junior). I have to say, I really enjoyed this. I know 343i has struggled making something that feels both referential to the past Halos but also new and modern, and I think they have definitely struck gold here. It feels different from BF, CoD, Destiny, etc., and even different than previous Halos, but in a good way. I never thought I'd be ok with sprint in Halo PVP, but it felt like it worked here. Sure, some weapons could use some tweaks, but for a first pass on an unoptimized build, I'm impressed.

While I've mostly moved on to Destiny, I'll always have a soft spot in my heard for the Halo franchise, and this flight has given me hope that the next game will be great and that the future of Halo will be solid.