• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I'm interested to see this as well. my guess is most people will feel inclined to drop the AR, then realize it's easier to win 1v1s with the AR than the sidekick , thanks to all the aim assist.

I don't feel like there's much aim assist on any of the weapons. Especially for a modern FPS.

I've let a few people who are more into modern shooters take a go on my console and half of them can't hit anything. I even noticed it coming back from games like Destiny to this. It's night and day.

Snip3down is a professional Apex player, Halo world champion and he's saying it's got less aim assist then any other FPS he's ever played.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Don't think I can stay up for the bot level up and pvp.

Played some more games, the movement in this game is perfect.

Run, slide, jump, grapple and swing.
Could can just sail around and then unload a clip and lunge in with a melee. Feels so good.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
do rainbow six seige, call of duty, battlefield and counter strike all "hope it works"? or does it just work?
it's not like only marking teammates is some wild new idea that remains to be tested. it's been around for decades.
the only real stand out of those 4 is cod. Battlefield, siege and counter strike both have very specific looks for each team (2042 will be the only exception to this). Siege can only have specific operators on each team with their own looks, counter strike has specific looks for each team as does battlefield (again, 2042 going to be the only real exception). Even in cod I run into players who shoot me thinking im an enemy (not super common but it happens). Given Halo in general also comes with friendly fire (we will see how the launch functions in ranked), its prob best just to have both to reduce that friction some players will have.

We need to not just view things from our own perspective though either. I am not color blind but I am all for color options for teams. I am not blind, but am all for visual enhancements (outlines) for those that need it. I am not cognitively disabled, but I am all for easy recognition for those who react slower etc. All because other games lack an enemy outline does not mean Halo needs to lack it when it adds more than it detracts.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
So is the only way to level up the battle pass by completing challenges? Do we know if it will be like that in the final game? I dont really like that, i much prefer just getting XP for playing normally.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
anyone else having a problem with the game crashing everytime you change custom controls (PC)

Edit: seems to specifically be the grenade switcher button.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
So is the only way to level up the battle pass by completing challenges? Do we know if it will be like that in the final game? I dont really like that, i much prefer just getting XP for playing normally.
currently Jerry Hook stated its the only way in this build as they wanted to test challenge roll outs and functionality as well as the swap system. No idea if there will be more xp per match though I find it most likely as they will prob have a ranking system as well. Who knows though. I made sure to make that request (as did many others) on the forums

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'll really miss getting these Bot Overkills.

PrKT26g.gif

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
They have to map the ping button to RB in the button layout pre settings. It completely changed how I play and I feel it instantly improved the teamwork of the whole group. With Ping on RB it's in the muscle memory of your finger after one game and you can do it without interrupting any of your normal gameplay. It's insane.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The physics are poor when you really get into it. Grenade jumps are dead and the rag dolls seem random.

Hopefully this is just beta stuff.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing the same, by reflex, but later on, as soon as I see dropped AR I pick it up. AR TTK is better than the Sidekick even mid-range, at long range, the pistol is basically not that effective almost useless, too many hits needed to kill even an enemy with a broken shield, so I really think that meta will change with this halo, or practically stays the same as in Halo 5 high tier ranks.

They changed it since Halo 5, where you could use a pistol across the whole map with almost the same effectiveness.

yup , this is my experience as well.

You can kill a fully shielded Spartan in 1s with the AR, whilst making almost no aim adjustments… just fire at their chest- you'll still be hitting them regardless of how they strafe. Then the aim assist will give you a headshot.

At longer ranges, it's easier to get the final headshot with the AR than it is with the sidekick, just by getting the reticle near the head and feathering the trigger. With the sidekick, you have to put in work to aim precisely for the head.

I think the meta will be just like it was at the start of Halo 5… low level players using the AR based on instinct because it's a rifle. Mid level players mixing it up. And high level players begrudgingly using the AR because they know it's OP.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
while fun, I do hope the final game swaps up the predictability of bot pathing -- maybe using our matches with them to help build new behaviors

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
They should put in an option to have the 'drop weapon' feature set to a short held input instead of a single tap.

I'm dropping my weapon all too often when I mark an area.

callback to brute chieftain in HW 1 where he could spawn a grave ball that sucked in enemies. Im for it. I am all for more al fire experementation

Not to mention Tartarus was able to pull and keep 2401 stuck to his Hammer. There's precedent for sure.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like there's much aim assist on any of the weapons. Especially for a modern FPS.

I've let a few people who are more into modern shooters take a go on my console and half of them can't hit anything. I even noticed it coming back from games like Destiny to this. It's night and day.

Snip3down is a professional Apex player, Halo world champion and he's saying it's got less aim assist then any other FPS he's ever played.

it has less aim assist than any other Halo that's for sure… but aim assists still exist and they vary for each weapon.

compare how easy it is to land shots with the unscoped BR vs the sidekick. It's a night/day difference.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So if it's anything like the MCC, then challenges will be the only way to progress. But I think they should award a small amount of xp for game completion as well.
I agree. I understand that in the full release passes will never expire and you'll be able to complete them at your leisure but still, it just feels bad that every match once you finish your weekly challenges is meaningless towards your battle pass progress.

Oct 25, 2017
PSA: The Tangelo enemy outline option retains the red outline while also having a pleasant yellow/orange shield pop
It's great and should be default

WEo9RDN.png

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
So if it's anything like the MCC, then challenges will be the only way to progress. But I think they should award a small amount of xp for game completion as well.
So the real question is if there will be ranking separate from the battle pass that use XP while the pass uses tokens like in MCC. If so then playing still has a point so long as each level earns a battle pass token.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
As an OG halo fan it's so nice to see the AR in its current state. I loved the BR when it was first shown but I've always had the soft spot for the AR.

Hell, the sidekick is one of the best pistols I've used but damn that AR is so good now, I can't put it down.

I've also always had a soft spot for the AR! This is music to my ears. Can't wait to try it out. Love AR starts.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, do Spartan bots seem easier then ODST to anyone else?

I wonder if the AI actually got upped or if they made a mistake, just got a steak and the bots were just as easy.

I do question 343's barometer though, the fact that they all seemed scared to do the Academy speaks volumes lol, I wonder if the bot difficulty is kind of difficult for the average player (or dev's who are paid to make but not necessarily play the game at a pro level) but not someone who has played a bunch of Halo?

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Spartan Bots are not that good after all, and yes, we broke the server by taking two rocket launchers again on the first match with Spartan Bots on Bazaar lol.

Gonna upload it a bit later.

EDIT: Would like to know if this happened to anyone else, because literally we broke it like a minute ago, maybe less :D

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
first round of Spartan slayer - 50-16 with a running riot lol

Biggest thing i notice is they jump strafe and use equipment more.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
There's a 4th map in the beta files called Launch Site
I know but I wouldn't expect it to be put into rotation.

first round of Spartan slayer - 50-16 with a running riot lol

Biggest thing i notice is they jump strafe and use equipment more.
Yea first game for me was 50-17, they at least didn't group up at the grappleshot spawn on Bazaar at the beginning of the match so there's some improvement!

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the AI actually got upped or if they made a mistake, just got a steak and the bots were just as easy.

I do question 343's barometer though, the fact that they all seemed scared to do the Academy speaks volumes lol, I wonder if the bot difficulty is kind of difficult for the average player (or dev's who are paid to make but not necessarily play the game at a pro level) but not someone who has played a bunch of Halo?
343i have a super competent pro team thou.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
50 to 15.

Nah, these bots aren't any better, but I noticed something different about them, which shows me how f'n weak 343s bot game is. 😂

The First Bots: Easy, nothing special
ODST Bots: Easy but with 95% aimbot on your head with pistols
Spartan Bots: Easy but with grenade aggression and grenade aimbot

Literally, try to compare them, they just traded the heavy use of pistols with grenades and that's it.

Weak.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
50-8, almost perfection with the first game. Hopefully having 100% of the population focusing on the bots can give some good data for tuning them, since yeah, would like them to push back a bit more!

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Are the Spartan bots any better? Just steaked them easily, lol

The only thing they always seem to be pros at is throwing remarkably frustrating grenades

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah a bit bummed about Spartan difficulty. First match went 17K-10A-4D for me. Was hoping Spartan difficulty would be a level I'd aspire to improve to. Maybe they are tougher on console with a controller.

Amazing game otherwise, IMO. Looking forward to PvP.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
343i have a super competent pro team thou.

Yeah but they are tuning the bots against what they think is the average player, not a team of pro MLG players. I think they underbaked it though. I guess thats tough to measure when you only have access to a few hundred people and not the hundreds of thousands this technical test gives them.

Hire KyleJ Juices to really help fine tune bots against the average long term Halo fan.

All jokes aside, if there are any jobs going for people to come and playtest Halo, I am an average player who you can tune the bots too, hire me 343!

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Man, they really oversold the bots, lmao. There's practically no difference between Marine and Spartan.