• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why some will say this. Its long wind up and lack of 360 AOE make you feel like its bad. Realistically though, it was changed to be a cone aoe in front of the player with damage fall off. Its basically a hammer thats good between the space of close and mid range. Given if you hit right on someone and they go to your right (aka off your screen), you are gonna miss. If you keep them in front of you at say arms length, your gonna kill and damage those behind them given the cone.

I would not say its bad, just different. My only critique is I want its swing to effect the user more so maybe I could grav hammer jump
Yep. I hate how every hammer after 3 is a shadow of its former self.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having problems with audio dropout? (Series X)

Sometimes it lasts for like a single a round, then back to normal.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I hate how every hammer after 3 is a shadow of its former self.
Most physics based interactions are still catching up to Halo 3. Game was so far ahead of its time it still blows me away.

The hammer is decent, and feels more outright powerful than past hammers due to the range, but it will be hard to tell until we get into PVP.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Most physics based interactions are still catching up to Halo 3. Game was so far ahead of its time it still blows me away.

The hammer is decent, and feels more outright powerful than past hammers due to the range, but it will be hard to tell until we get into PVP.
The gravity hammer needs more, well, "gravity" though. Super disappointing to hit a dude with it for them to only fall over from like a heart attack rather than being launched into orbit

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I can see why some will say this. Its long wind up and lack of 360 AOE make you feel like its bad. Realistically though, it was changed to be a cone aoe in front of the player with damage fall off. Its basically a hammer thats good between the space of close and mid range. Given if you hit right on someone and they go to your right (aka off your screen), you are gonna miss. If you keep them in front of you at say arms length, your gonna kill and damage those behind them given the cone.

I would not say its bad, just different. My only critique is I want its swing to effect the user more so maybe I could grav hammer jump

Actually blows my mind that it doesn't do damage around us at 360° and that it hits farther han before.

It's funny, I'm so used to a weapon that I expect it to work a certain way, and when it doesn't I don't even take time to understand what has changed. It's more clear now, and I get what they did. It's going to take some time to get used to it but I'm ok with it.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
They need to contact Jon Graham, creator of Arby n the Chief and make a Mastur Ch33f personal AI with the MS Sam voice. Maybe for a future season pass. They can justify it by calling it "Bootleg Master Chief AI". Would genuinely love to see it.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
BOT in my team. o.O

IuKRjsU.png

Jun 10, 2018
That was weird. I was playing on PC and decided to get off to play on Xbox Series X. When I went to boot it up it gave me the message that I can only play in one place at once. So I had to end my previous session despite already having exited the game a few moments ago.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

my take with the infinite hammer is it's take out time and length to smash doesn't make it a viable back pocket gun. Has probably less 1 hit kill range than the sword.

it's so slow that I'd you get the enemy to one shot in the first swing, all they need to do is put a couple bullets into you and melee. In a higher level pvp area I just don't see it worth picking up

Apr 30, 2019
70% of the feeling of movement is visual. Once you start sliding from a walk, the game starts to look wonky and that fluid compliment disappears

Then they should get rid of slide altogether and make the crouch boost off of ramps like it was in Halo 3.

Grappling the weapon to you is far more cruel. Did that to a guy then immediately threw the weapon at him as I felt so bad haha.

lol that's what I meant. I grappled the rockets right out of his fingertips.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The bots have like 98% head accuracy with certain weapons, especially the pistol, so much to "our bots are like real and don't cheat" haha, sure.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Bazaar reminds me of another multiplayer map from the past. Cant remember from where though. Is it COD? I get the CS comparison with the big doors.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with the outlines tbh… I just think they need to improve the "popped shield" effect. Really make it look like the suit is malfunctioning - an explosion of colored light, followed by the colored sparks conspicuously floating around.

overall, I'm happy with how readable the HUD is.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
The gravity hammer needs more, well, "gravity" though. Super disappointing to hit a dude with it for them to only fall over from like a heart attack rather than being launched into orbit

I 100% agree with you. BUT, to 343 credit, it seems it's a matter of how you hit them.
For example, on this video you can clearly see the second spartan just flying away.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed the rocket launcher for the first time, my god does it sound amazing... whoever is on the audio team did some amazing stuff here. Skewer as well, though I really hope they make that thing pin bodies to walls.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
I can see most of the people are dropping AR when equipping other weapons.

I really want to see if that is going to be the case in PvP.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Are you guys having intermittent sound issues too on PC? I'll tab into the game after a match loads up, and 90% of the sounds are just not happening.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England

As an OG halo fan it's so nice to see the AR in its current state. I loved the BR when it was first shown but I've always had the soft spot for the AR.

Hell, the sidekick is one of the best pistols I've used but damn that AR is so good now, I can't put it down.

Oct 25, 2017
or its more for accessibility. Not everyone will auto know which is which so giving more options to apply to team and enemies is the safest route then merely hoping it works.
do rainbow six seige, call of duty, battlefield and counter strike all "hope it works"? or does it just work?
it's not like only marking teammates is some wild new idea that remains to be tested. it's been around for decades.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

I'm interested to see this as well. my guess is most people will feel inclined to drop the AR, then realize it's easier to win 1v1s with the AR than the sidekick , thanks to all the aim assist.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
It's absolutely incredible to me that sprint has been so toned down and perfected and people are still not happy. Getting rid of sprint would be stupid especially since the way radar has been reworked. 343 nailed it

Outside of one or two people here I haven't seen anyone unhappy with the implementation?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely incredible to me that sprint has been so toned down and perfected and people are still not happy. Getting rid of sprint would be stupid especially since the way radar has been reworked. 343 nailed it
By toning it down, All 343 did is further prove how pointless it is and always has been.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I mean. Gravity goes down, so I think they got that right :p. There's still orbital launches every once in a while, but often just from normal melees haha. Probably an angle thing - that's the curse of ragdoll is it not? Sometimes, it works exactly as it should, which is often boring :p

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
As an OG halo fan it's so nice to see the AR in its current state. I loved the BR when it was first shown but I've always had the soft spot for the AR.

Hell, the sidekick is one of the best pistols I've used but damn that AR is so good now, I can't put it down.

I'm interested to see this as well. my guess is most people will feel inclined to drop the AR, then realize it's easier to win 1v1s than the sidekick , thanks to all the aim assist.

I'm doing the same, by reflex, but later on, as soon as I see dropped AR I pick it up. AR TTK is better than the Sidekick even mid-range, at long range, the pistol is basically not that effective almost useless, too many hits needed to kill even an enemy with a broken shield, so I really think that meta will change with this halo, or practically stays the same as in Halo 5 high tier ranks.

They changed it since Halo 5, where you could use a pistol across the whole map with almost the same effectiveness.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just noticed that people wearing active camo leave footprints behind so you can track them. The fucking details in this game, y'all…

HgS

Dec 13, 2019

This is as close to consensus as it's ever going to get. Not a single Halo has ever launched and just had the entire community go "Yup, that's Halo as I interpret it and everything is right in the world."

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
It's just further proof that many of the criticisms aimed at Halo have been about theory/principal rather than the actual gameplay.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Managed to get home in time to play and boy do I love it. As a huge fan of Halo 5 MP this seems like an almost perfect marriage of that and Halo 3.

I still need to get the hang of it, but my first four matches were a blast.

The sound design in particular is a standout. HOLY SHIT does this game sound incredible.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Actually blows my mind that it doesn't do damage around us at 360° and that it hits farther han before.

It's funny, I'm so used to a weapon that I expect it to work a certain way, and when it doesn't I don't even take time to understand what has changed. It's more clear now, and I get what they did. It's going to take some time to get used to it but I'm ok with it.
ya, i think a lot of players are like that. It actually plays a lot like one of the hammer variants in h5 (sent out shock waves much like this one though was a bit stronger). I think they saw how much people enjoyed that functionality and iterated on it so that it was more viable as an arena-based version.