• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be a delay when shooting which kinda throws me off, is that intentional/also on console? Feels weird on PC

noticed this too, at least on PC. not sure what the point of the long delay, not like it feels like an OP weapon or anything. Especially with the big bullet drop.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France

They really recycled the aim system from Halo 5 wholesale, with all its problems.

And just like in Halo 5, the problem isn't the lack of aim assist or the lack of bullet magnetism.

I will gladly take zero aim assist and bullet magnetism, if the 0 deadzone setting actually meant 0 deadzone, and if the acceleration curve didn't have this aggressive aim smoothing.

Everything else is amazing though! Good job 343.
Shit, to this day it's my only grip with Halo 5

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I can't put my finger on it but something about the IQ of the game feels off to me. There's some sort of post FX happening, almost like chromatic abberation but not?

Does anyone know what I mean and if so how to make things crisper visually?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
you ignore just about everything I said in the latter half. A lot of the feeling of movement comes from visuals. You are completely right about button pressing in relation to mechanical functions. However, a player seeing someone walk and then go into a slide is not fluid to the eye. Mechanically it works, but not from a feeling standpoint.

I also never said that sprint in itself increased the movement skill gap. I said sprint gives access to slide which is where the main skill gap lies in relation to the inherent player movement (slides boosts as a very simple example). When you combine the needs for a visually fluid movement system and the want to also give players access to some form of movement skill through the usage of slide and slide jumps, you then need sprint to bridge that gap.

I'd say you didn't read my post actually.

I said there's no reason the running animation can't be triggered by simply moving forward. It doesn't have to be a button press.

the system we know as sprint - press a button, move a little faster, but lose the ability to shoot - only exists because 343 believes the audience demands it.

a system where moving forward at full-tilt automatically enters a running animation, would ensure players are fluidly transitioning into slides.

Last edited:

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Might be a dumb question but are the bullets hitscan or projectiles in this game? Which weapons are which?

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say you didn't read my post actually.

I said there's no reason the running animation can't be triggered by simply moving forward. It doesn't have to be a button press.

the system we know as sprint - press a button, move a little faster, but lose the ability to shoot - only exists because 343 believes the audience demands it.

a system where moving forward at full-tilt automatically enters a running animation, would ensure players are fluidly transitioning into slides.

how would this work on PC with keyboard? You would always move at full tilt, and lose ability to fire?
Also most people use a thumb stick at full tilt 99% of the time. It actually takes a good deal of concentration and precision control to not use a thumb stick at full tilt.

cluk

May 22, 2018
how would this work on PC with keyboard? You would always move at full tilt, and lose ability to fire?
Also most people use a thumb stick at full tilt 99% of the time. It actually takes a good deal of concentration and precision control to not use a thumb stick at full tilt.
Agreed, I wouldn't like this system. I don't see it working in an FPS

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I can't put my finger on it but something about the IQ of the game feels off to me. There's some sort of post FX happening, almost like chromatic abberation but not?

Does anyone know what I mean and if so how to make things crisper visually?
Probably dynamic resolution kicking in. If I set my minimum frame rate to 144 it looks terrible in the way you are describing, but if I set it to 90 the game looks fine.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

you would always move at full tilt and never lose the ability to fire… 1) Halo infinite already allows you to instantly fire out of sprint anyway. 2) base movement speed is damn close to sprint speed anyway. People keep the stick at full tilt all the time because they generally want to move as quickly as possible.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Anyone know any tricks to Get past that initial loading screen that eventually just says your unauthorized. My internet is trash right now so deleting and redownloading is my last last option.

Nollemaster

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know any tricks to Get past that initial loading screen that eventually just says your unauthorized. My internet is trash right now so deleting and redownloading is my last last option.

I'm currently experiencing the same. People online are saying power cycle your xbox or restart the game, but both won't work for me. Also my flight invite on Waypoint seems to be broken even though it shows up on my profile.

EDIT: It finally worked for me after restarting and power cycling for what seems to be a dozen times. Maybe it's a server side issue for them as well.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
you would always move at full tilt and never lose the ability to fire… 1) Halo infinite already allows you to instantly fire out of sprint anyway. 2) base movement speed is damn close to sprint speed anyway. People keep the stick at full tilt all the time because they generally want to move as quickly as possible.

I mean I was only reiterating the point you brought up in the orginal post I quoted of yours.

the system we know as sprint - press a button, move a little faster, but lose the ability to shoot - only exists because 343 believes the audience demands .

is that point an issue or not to you?
And I can definitely feel the speed change when running, maybe as I have my FOV up, but I am sure most people do too.
sounds like all you really want is a single button to slide. Maybe it should be something like, can only choose 1.

1.tap button to crouch, hold to slide(when moving)
2. tap button to crouch, (slide only when sprinting)
3. hold button to crouch (slide only when sprinting)

would be interesting to see how that option one would work in practice.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The new map has some great physics, you can walk through tables and chairs to break them apart, which seems fitting for a Spartan. It's honestly hard to break myself away from the game, the core gameplay loop is so incredibly satisfying.

BarryBurton

Jul 1, 2020
Couple of gripes from the flight:

1. The in-game scoreboard is impossible to read with the current level of opacity and font colours.
2. Why are the enemy AI Spartans blue? The red outline is just too subtle at times. Was that a deliberate choice to test the outlines in a "worst case scenario"? Either, way, I don't like it. I get that they have to have the outline so people can customise their Spartans, but surely they can make it more noticeable? Most of my deaths were due to enemy/friendly confusion.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Couple of gripes from the flight:

1. The in-game scoreboard is impossible to read with the current level of opacity and font colours.
2. Why are the enemy AI Spartans blue? The red outline is just too subtle at times. Was that a deliberate choice to test the outlines in a "worst case scenario"? Either, way, I don't like it. I get that they have to have the outline so people can customise their Spartans, but surely they can make it more noticeable? Most of my deaths were due to enemy/friendly confusion.
You can change the opacity.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I'm currently experiencing the same. People online are saying power cycle your xbox or restart the game, but both won't work for me. Also my flight invite on Waypoint seems to be broken even though it shows up on my profile.

EDIT: It finally worked for me after restarting and power cycling for what seems to be a dozen times. Maybe it's a server side issue for them as well.
Yeah the few times I did get in I probably turned my Xbox off an on like 30 times. Guess it's just a luck thing, thanks for the info though.

hard booting seems to make a difference

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I've set that and motion blur to 0 but still a bit of smeary vaseline on screen vibes in parts. Definitely improved though.

I don't know exactly what you mean, but the backgrounds looking lower res than the res the game is running in has nothing to do with motion blur. That's their way of maintaining the framerate I guess, no idea what the right name for that technique is.

ecc7ee59-76d4-4e2e-a652-63452d42f689.png

Also, the really vaseline looking screen when zooming with the pistol is also not because of motion blur.

That just looks bad and I think this only came with the last patch.

The general per pixel motion blur in this game looks beautiful and smears nothing.

The only thing I would call vaseline looking is how the daylight looks (specially in HDR), on the third map and partly on the second the natural light from above really makes the screen like looking through milk glass a little bit. Not a fan. But also, has nothing to do with motion blur.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, the smoothness and the feel of the gameplay is just so good. Can't believe I've already put over 6 hours into a multiplayer shooter with no progress, 1 to 3 maps and just easy bots to play against.

Got to play a couple rounds on Bazaar and I really like it. It could be just a bit smaller for 4v4, though. Same goes for the second map whose name I can't remember - a bit too big. Not a huge fan of that one.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
The gunolay in this game feels so good to me. The only thing that is off is just trying to get used to the extremely low aim assist for controller use. I'm seriously considering playing the game with kb/m on my Series X.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Not having any issues with aiming other than the sniper where it seems like 20 years of Halo experience has gone down the drain when I pick that up.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Not having any issues with aiming other than the sniper where it seems like 20 years of Halo experience has gone down the drain when I pick that up.
Sniper is absolutely fucked. It's borderline useless in its current form. Needs a huge amount of balance work.

I'd say the aiming (deadzone) and sniper balance are two of the big issues for 343 to address.

Otherwise the game is fantastic

Lpwnsome

Oct 30, 2017
Sniper is still the one weapon I can't really get the hang of. I got two headshots in a row one game, 3 total, and that felt like an achievement in itself. It just feels clunky right now and not that satisfying.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Sniper is absolutely fucked. It's borderline useless in its current form. Needs a huge amount of balance work.

I'd say the aiming (deadzone) and sniper balance are two of the big issues for 343 to address.

personally disagree. The sniper is just way harder to use than past iterations, especially compared to h5. There is something off I would address though and that is the fire rate. There seems to be a large delay between shots which makes players feel like they are fighting it. If you are not hitting your shot though, its 100% cause your just missing given the very low bullet mag on this version of the snipe. If you are having deadzone issues and then pair that with the high accuracy needed, your gonna suck with it

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017

If you mean that in the sense that it's not the only weapon that every Godforsaken Halo highlight video ever is made with due to it being completely OP once you get good with it then it can stay absolutely that way.
I haven't used it much in this game but it's about seems to work as good as a sniper rifle in any other game.
This is the fist Halo in like what seems like forever that doesn't feel like a big portion of the weapons aren't useless.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
personally disagree. The sniper is just way harder to use than past iterations, especially compared to h5. There is something off I would address though and that is the fire rate. There seems to be a large delay between shots which makes players feel like they are fighting it. If you are not hitting your shot though, its 100% cause your just missing given the very low bullet mag on this version of the snipe. If you are having deadzone issues and then pair that with the high accuracy needed, your gonna suck with it
It's definitely harder to use, which is a combination of a number of factors. The fire rate, the aggressive de-scoping combined with super-accurate bots, the dead zone and bullet magnetism and more. It means that right now it doesn't really satisfy the barrier of entry for an on-map power weapon. I've not seen any player control a map with it after hours and hours of play. Right now I honestly think players would be more likely to keep their assault rifle than pick it up, and ultimately that's a failure of balance as power weapons should be powerful, that's the literal point of them. They're meant to funnel players into the same places to contest them, but right now it's a shit-show.

There should be depth to the gun, but it should be useable for a good number of players in the standard controller setup. Right now it just isn't.

If you mean that in the sense that it's not the only weapon that every Godforsaken Halo highlight video ever is made with due to it being completely OP once you get good with it then it can stay absolutely that way.
I haven't used it much in this game but it's about seems to work as good as a sniper rifle in any other game.
This is the fist Halo in like what seems like forever that doesn't feel like a big portion of the weapons aren't useless.
I'm not sure it was ever over-powered, but it's a power weapon so it's inherently more powerful than your starting weapons.

I'm not really sure why you'd benchmark a sniper rifle in Halo to "any other game"? If you mean Halo games, it's by far the most under-powered sniper rifle in any Halo game thus far, in its current form.

Your last line about overall balance is true. But having an appropriately balanced power weapon which spawns once per rotation in the middle of the map is not going to completely throw the rest of the weapon balance out of whack. That's just not how it works.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I think the bots are better with the pistol then everyone else lol. They seem to 3 shot everyone in the head.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I kind of agree. We won't get a true feel until we get some PvP in but I like the sniper feels harder to use as of now. I feel like traditional Halo once snipers were in place it was game over I feel like you will be able to actually move on the maps now even when snipers are in position . Maybe my excitement has me chugging the 343 kool aid right now I just want more

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Re: button mapping

Someone mentioned it already, but I'd like to see button combos being used for certain functions. R1 + L1 (RB + LB) would be perfect for using equipment

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States

They really recycled the aim system from Halo 5 wholesale, with all its problems.

And just like in Halo 5, the problem isn't the lack of aim assist or the lack of bullet magnetism.

I will gladly take zero aim assist and bullet magnetism, if the 0 deadzone setting actually meant 0 deadzone, and if the acceleration curve didn't have this aggressive aim smoothing.

Everything else is amazing though! Good job 343.

No wonder it feels off compared to other games. Seems like most of the playerbase doesn't care so I doubt they'll do any major tweaks to adjust it.