• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThankeeSai

Oct 25, 2017
Update has just added "X/S" to the game tile on my Series X.

Not sure what's changed though.

I'm REALLY going to miss this game when this flight is done!

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
I've never really done much PVP, especially FPSs, and I'm pretty terrible but this has been a lot of fun and I could see myself playing it at launch.

Do they take into account skill level when doing matchmaking? Or am I just going to get my ass handed to me over and over? I do get some kills but I probably die more times than I kill someone LOL. That's one of the reasons I've never played these games.
they take it into account. Social modes may be less strict with it, but generally, if you are say bronze (just an example) you won't be playing against diamiands or champs.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Bots stronger on this new map. I like it though. Game feels great and is fun as hell to play. Need more precision weapon spawns!

Spartan117-TR

Feb 26, 2019
Movement wise, it doesnt feel like COD but ttk is codified imo. Most weopans are way too strong and i can see that you will have zero chance in a 1 v 2 situation against real people. In Halo 3-Reach , you have a chance to outplay in 1v2 situation but in this game, it will be way less frequent because of the fact that almost all guns are way too powerfull.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
I've never really done much PVP, especially FPSs, and I'm pretty terrible but this has been a lot of fun and I could see myself playing it at launch.

Do they take into account skill level when doing matchmaking? Or am I just going to get my ass handed to me over and over? I do get some kills but I probably die more times than I kill someone LOL. That's one of the reasons I've never played these games.

Everything is going into the account of your skill in SBM in Halo. Your accuracy, damage dealt, assists made, wins, losses, deaths, kills, streaks, I think that they tweaked Halo 5 afterwards (around 2018) that even performance of your positioning in the match goes into the account.

So it's not if you just win you get those invisible skill points. You can win with shit play and you will get basically +0 skill points and you will remain at the same player pool. It's most visible in ranked, but of course, it works like that in socials too, just not that strict. The Player pool is going wider, during the matchmaking.

The Halo 5 system was good in the end and I believe they will transfer it in the future, and one of the rarest examples of how Skills should be distributed during and after the match.

That means, even if you're carried over with good teammates, you probably won't advance, or will until your skill matches your rank and that's it, you will be soft blocked until you git gud.

EDIT: There was a heated discussion on the Waypoint forum a couple of years back on why people can not advance further than diamonds while playing with their teammates. A lot of people raged about that, but when you check their stats, you can see why is it.

For example, I was always on the edge of D/O and I could not get a secured position in Onyx only because I was not playing as frequent and could not maintain my playstyle. The system was dropping me to D5-6 all the time because of being inconsistent. I raged but after going through I think a couple of hundreds of pages of discussion, I realised that it means that the system is working.

Last edited:

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Movement wise, it doesnt feel like COD but ttk is codified imo. Most weopans are way too strong and i can see that you will have zero chance in a 1 v 2 situation against real people. In Halo 3-Reach , you have a chance to outplay in 1v2 situation but in this game, it will be way less frequent because of the fact that almost all guns are way too powerfull.
TTK are actually pretty standard for the series unless you compare it to H3 or Reach, which were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow, specially Reach (i actually think 3 is a good compromise).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
answer truthfully, how often do you pick up the weapons at these locations on Live Fire:
  • needler spawn to right of Eagle spawn
  • weapon mount to the right below the Active Camo/Overshield pickup location
  • plasma pistol under overhang by bots spawn
I didn't even realize the weapon under the power item pickup location until like my 20th game.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe I wasn't invited to this. No chance I get a last minute invite, right :(

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
The system wasn't that good I still found myself but it was certainly better than some games where it just seems to plug 4 solo players with a team of 4 who are all better than every one of the single players.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
answer truthfully, how often do you pick up the weapons at these locations on Live Fire:
I didn't even realize the weapon under the power item pickup location until like my 20th game.

The needler all the time. That fucker kills.

Lpwnsome

Oct 30, 2017
The grapple is really really fun. I think three uses is a good amount too. Once you get the hang of it it is insanely powerful traversal tool. Especially on the more vertical map.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Patch notes released..

Nothing other than "this is to test our update system".

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
There's 3 maps total, right? They'll add the one that looks like a street market? I can't wait to try that one, it looks awesome.

Also increasingly loving this preview, it's just such a blast.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
damn you got owned 🤣

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also glad to see that sprint seems like such a marginal increase compared to 5, where you were zooming around the map like Sonic.

But also, what benefits does sprint bring if your normal speed is slightly slower? Can you only slide from the sprint animation?

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
"This flight does not support Nvidia GTX 900 series GPUs. Please do not expect 900 series GPUs to be functional in this flight."

I mean, that explains why the game keeps crashing, but why invite me to the flight at all when you know I have a GPU that won't work? Weird.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Experiencing some stuttering on PC after the patch too. Only played one game so far so it could be shader related.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
I always go for the needler.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
"This flight does not support Nvidia GTX 900 series GPUs. Please do not expect 900 series GPUs to be functional in this flight."

I mean, that explains why the game keeps crashing, but why invite me to the flight at all when you know I have a GPU that won't work? Weird.

Yeah, I don't believe that they knew 900 series cards wouldn't work beforehand.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Also glad to see that sprint seems like such a marginal increase compared to 5, where you were zooming around the map like Sonic.

But also, what benefits does sprint bring if your normal speed is slightly slower? Can you only slide from the sprint animation?
The main benefit of Sprint definitely seems to be giving the player access to the slide (and jumping a bit farther I guess). Obviously you'll still get around slightly quicker, but the marginal increase in speed might not always be worth it considering how it exposes you on the radar + makes more noise.

It really feels like they only kept it in to appease people who are adamant that Halo won't have any appeal without a sprint button or whatever.