• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If it's going to spawn it's in house elbow or nest.

It's commical watching the bots try to jump to turbine for a powerup. Like, it takes them 3 or 4 tries before they are successful and you'll often see 2 or 3 of them at atime trying 😂
I got a grenade overkill last night because all 4 of them were jumping in a circle trying to figure out how to grab the Overshield that had just spawned. I was dying.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The carbine... it sucks, right? Like the bots seem to beast with it, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I suppose its to shred shields then you switch to something else for clean up?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What halo does this feel most like to people? I am enjoying my time with bots and maybe it's the game mode but it feels like halo 3 to me. Quite a long ttk and a fun small sandbox with random stuff going on and a fight over power weapon.

I tried halo 5 big team modes but all the stuff with req cards put me off.

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely think people mean "unpolished" rather than feels F2P, given F2P is a business model and not an indicator of quality :P

But yeah, I basically agree with what you said previously. I think the gameplay of this feels polished to a significant degree already. I have some minor balancing qualms with some of the weapons but I obviously lack context of the full game. Point being- the game is in a good state, gameplay-wise, for something that's 3-4 months from release. The stuff around the gameplay though? Yeah, it's about in the state I would expect it to be in, which is absolutely not ready for release. A very normal thing.

I guess I just ultimately do not understand what this game is offering besides its business model. Aspects of this feel like a worse version of Halo 5, and aspects of it feel like the Russian Halo Online game. I think there are some threads of good ideas in underlying mechanics, but this game does not feel anywhere close to going gold.

Respectfully, to the folks who keep saying the Halo community is actually critical. I just fundamentally disagree. People made so many excuses at the launch of the Master Chief Collection and for the Halo 5 campaign on the old pre-ResetEra board, and those voices were shouted down until they became the dominant view months and years later. I don't think this is unique to Halo, but there is something about fan culture in general refuses to acknowledge elephants in the room. Again, for a piece of software that was originally intended to release over a year ago, I just do not understand why this is so bad. And it really makes me scared for the state of the single player campaign.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
What halo does this feel most like to people? I am enjoying my time with bots and maybe it's the game mode but it feels like halo 3 to me. Quite a long ttk and a fun small sandbox with random stuff going on and a fight over power weapon.

it feels like 3 to me, which is a good thing.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'm a few dozen games in and I'm pretty chuffed now, having a lot of fun. My initial impression this morning was that aiming felt a bit off (and I was missing a ton of shots), but I needed to keep in mind I'm coming in with all the muscle memory that comes with playing Halo 5 almost every night for nearly six years. Once I got acclimated, I am just having a blast.

Can't play a single game - incredible lag. Anyone from the UK able to play this without issues?

At most, I've just had matchmaking fail a handful of times, but every game I've been in has felt really good. No other issues here.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I'm a few dozen games in and I'm pretty chuffed now, having a lot of fun. My initial impression this morning was that aiming felt a bit off (and I was missing a ton of shots), but I needed to keep in mind I'm coming in with all the muscle memory that comes with playing Halo 5 almost every night for nearly six years. Once I got acclimated, I am just having a blast.
Yayeee sounds good

Green

Oct 27, 2017
The carbine... it sucks, right? Like the bots seem to beast with it, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I suppose its to shred shields then you switch to something else for clean up?

4 shots bursts with a bit of tracking, but they are slow. 2 full bursts to the face and they're dead. I think it's good. More of a Plasma Rifle BR than a BR Carbine. Try the training with it.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017

It is capable of killing in two bursts based on the firing range test I did. It seems extremely hard to use effectively in game compared to the other weapons though.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

It's like a perfect marriage of Halo 3 and Halo 5. I think Live Fire was a bit of a poor choice to showcase the game as it's a really small and simple map but I think once the other maps get added to the test, people are really going to come around and realize that this is essentially the Halo 3 sequel people have been clamoring for for over a decade.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

it feels like halo 5 without abilities. Or maybe a halo2+halo5 offspring.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

Literally feels like a perfect marriage of h3 and h5. Still not 100% on the sandbox, but BR starts would convince me :)

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played onw round and now im trapped on usnc logo. Have never been a _huge_ fan of halo mp but it seems solid. Default deadzone ans sensitivity controls are awful, wish i could turn it all up without having to tweak 50 settinfs

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to get bored of these bots. They never apply any pressure and I've yet to see them score more than 15, lol.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really enjoying this so far, but I need to know how I feel after getting crushed by other players

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
JUN!!!

eUb46uy.jpg

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to get bored of these bots. They never apply any pressure and I've yet to see them score more than 15, lol.

Yeah I'm waiting for the bots to get their difficult upped - got back to back perfections and had games where I think the bots got 3 kills lol

I find it amusing there are posts saying how impressed they are by the bots haha

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Man I am so not used to how Halo plays I am even in the last or second to last place against bots. The game just feels alien compared to basically any other modern shooter.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Literally feels like a perfect marriage of h3 and h5.

Yep. Haven't played 5 in a long while though so maybe more like a mariage of 3 and how I remember 5 lol. I think it plays really well right now. The guns are fun to use, the AR is not a stupid pea shooter and the Sidekick feels great. I wish the performances were better on PC though.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I think the multiplayer has screwed up magnetism or something, because the carbine shreds in the firing range but blows chunks when fighting the bots.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
There's something just altogether off about the aiming, sensitivity, sensitivity curve and aim assist. It's one thing against bots that scarcely fight back and that stop when they see something to attack, but I can't help but feel it's going to be a major issue for pad users against humans.

ThankeeSai

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a BR on the map? I have no idea where people are finding it, and I haven't seen it in my games

Weapons rotate randomly, so you'll either have 2 BR's or 2 Commando's spawned in the wall sections on the map.

If you're playing on controller, press down on the d-pad and this will send a pulse out which briefly highlights all weapon pads and wall sections on the map.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I've tried all framerate options I could but I can only do 40fps on my 5900x/2080 combo on any setting. I must have set up something wrong or have some program interfering with the game. CPU and GPU temps are super low too, so they are definitely not flexing their muscle.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
There's something just altogether off about the aiming, sensitivity, sensitivity curve and aim assist. It's one thing against bots that scarcely fight back and that stop when they see something to attack, but I can't help but feel it's going to be a major issue for pad users against humans.

I'm routinely 60-70%+ in accuracy after each game. Using default controls and sensitivities. Only changes I made I think was Bumper Jumper, Vertical Inversion, and Toggle Crouch off. Everything else default. Feels almost perfect to me. *shrug*

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
There is a lot of rose tinted glasses takes in this thread. IMO this game feels a bit off at the moment. There are definitely aspects of it that I like, but I can't help but feel like everything is a little less crisp and smooth than what I would expect from a Halo game. Every aspect, the UI, the map design, and the implementation of the bots just feels a bit janky at the moment. I think there are maybe some core design decisions in this game that I do like, but right now it feels like a cross between Halo 5 and that Russian version of Halo 3 with a ton of jank.

I get that it's fun to be a playing a new Halo game, but it all feels a bit off at the moment. In a very concerning way.
off for you. All because some don't have that experience does not mean they are blinded. Initially sure, but it's been some time, and the pain issues people are running into are performance, some balancing issues, and the sniper feeling a bit heavy. Then of course there are opinions on general gameplay (lack of descope of ar and pistol for example).

The overall consensus outside of reset era also appears to be that the gameplay feels good and crisp. Again, that ignores performance issues

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I just ultimately do not understand what this game is offering besides its business model. Aspects of this feel like a worse version of Halo 5, and aspects of it feel like the Russian Halo Online game. I think there are some threads of good ideas in underlying mechanics, but this game does not feel anywhere close to going gold.

Respectfully, to the folks who keep saying the Halo community is actually critical. I just fundamentally disagree. People made so many excuses at the launch of the Master Chief Collection and for the Halo 5 campaign on the old pre-ResetEra board, and those voices were shouted down until they became the dominant view months and years later. I don't think this is unique to Halo, but there is something about fan culture in general refuses to acknowledge elephants in the room. Again, for a piece of software that was originally intended to release over a year ago, I just do not understand why this is so bad. And it really makes me scared for the state of the single player campaign.

Genuine question- do you have any experience getting exposure to pre-release games outside of public betas and the like? There's nothing about this tech preview that's any worse than I would personally expect out of a game that's this far out, unless it was a public highly polished demo.

I say this with no hylerbole: games routinely make gargantuan improvements in polish in the last month leading to release. If anything, this game feels like it's more stable and my more performant than I would expect at this stage. I'm sure those 2 aspects were polished up before releasing this, given it's still "public".

Jun 10, 2018
I switched my FOV from 100 to 120 on Series X. And wow, it looks good. Your sense of speed feels even greater, and best of all, it doesn't have that fish eye effect.

Jun 8, 2018
Ditto.

Does it breathe new life into the franchise or is it more of the same?
Long time halo bet, here. H3 is my favorite game of all time, 4 is my least favorite and 5 had some moments.
I can wholeheartedly say that the gameplay is a return to form while feeling modern. I love it so much! The new additions like AI and bringing equipment back really give this its own flavor that feels classic and modern.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Love seeing all these positive reactions from longtime players. It's been a WHILE since I've seen this kind of energy from the Halo fanbase (MCC aside).

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
My biggest complaint with descope in this game is if you have the zoom set to 'hold', are holding the button to zoom while getting shot at, you descope for a few frames and snap straight back into zoom; combine that with getting shot multiple times and It becomes disorienting. It should descope you till you pull the trigger again (even if you were still holding it).
completely fair critique. Id be sure to go to their flight forums and provide that

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Completed the weekly challenges and the platinum warrior capstone challenge only to find the coating it awards you doesn't apply to the helmet so you have this stone green armour and bright white helmet 😂

Still wearing it mind you, I earned that!

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
it can 2 shot but you need to hit all shots in each burst to do so. Its a plasma-based rifle so in general its gonna melt shields. I would view it as a slightly more well-rounded plasma pistol given it actually has a higher kill time against no shields. Its def not a long-range weapon though