• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing this and it kinda confuses me, because the only thing in the game that feels like Halo 3 to me (beyond an art style that's a little closer to it, but imo doesn't hold a candle to it if I'm honest), is the return of equipment. That's a significant thing for sure, mind you... but am I missing something else? I say this as someone who holds Halo 3 near and dear to his heart. And I think this game is very fun, but it feels closer to Halo 5 than 3 to me by a significant margin, gameplay-wise.

I felt like you did when I initially played. But now that I have about 6-8 hours on the game, I'm feeling more old Halo vibes than Halo 5 vibes.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I think the Xbox Series X version is also locked to 59/60fps as well even when 120hz is selected in the system settings and Performance Mode is selected in the game's settings. The Sony x900H does not like games running at 60hz while the display is getting a 120hz signal. Any camera movement is very jittery. This is apparently true on PC as well with the Sony x900H as other people have reported the same behavior.

So that tells me the current flight does not support 120hz on Series X.

Nope. It is 120.

Jun 10, 2018
I posted previously in this thread that maybe there was a bug. It definitely was not running at 120fps for me. The Sony x900H lets me know, the game was very jittery with every single camera movement. Just like any other game running at 60hz with a 120hz signal on the Sony x900H. I'll try it again right now to see if it does it again.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I am playing on Xbox One X in performance mode, and the performance just feels way worse than Halo 5. There's also just some really janky visual language in this game. Not sure that I agree with the decision to throw away red vs. blue. Also, is anyone talking about the bad pop-in and stuttering?
Apparently all Xbox One consoles are running at 30 FPS with intermittent performance issues.

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently all Xbox One consoles are running at 30 FPS with intermittent performance issues.

Ah okay thank makes sense. I've been playing Halo 5 a bit recently and this just runs like ass compared to Halo 5 on my One X. Honestly my biggest issue with the game is it just feels like a F2P game. Something is off, but per usual the fans will shout down everyone until 6 months after the game is out and everyone acknowledges the problems.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Scoping in now with anything but the BR is pretty disorienting for me in this. Granted it is a small map, but the zoom on the spike rifle, commando and even sniper rifle are difficult to quickly scope in and stay on target. Getting the aim punch unscope furthers this issue. I'm not sure I'm a fan. A slightly larger map may prove otherwise.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay thank makes sense. I've been playing Halo 5 a bit recently and this just runs like ass compared to Halo 5 on my One X. Honestly my biggest issue with the game is it just feels like a F2P game. Something is off, but per usual the fans will shout down everyone until 6 months after the game is out and everyone acknowledges the problems.
The gameplay makes it feels like a F2P game?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Coming from the game with the card and loot box system, lmao.

bigbusiness

Lead Editor @ The Punished Backlog
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
United States
the best way I can put it is that Infinite feels like a love letter to Halo 3. I think 343 has a winner on their hands and they finally managed to develop a Halo game that feels like it could've come from Bungie.

The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a combination of H2A's tight gunplay mixed with Halo 5's speed but at 75%

Like H3 has a tendency to be too slow for me while H5 is borderline CoD. This feels like a beautiful mixture of the two. It just feels really good to play.

New weapons like Heatwave and Bulldog are effective. Heatwave is awesome because it's projectiles can deflect off surfaces so if you can get good at it, you can more easily chase down players running away. Bulldog is a fun shotty with surprisingly good range.. BR is ace as always; feels like they just reskinned H2A's BR which I love. If you have specific questions just ask!

It's Halo 3NextGeneration. The true sequel everyone was waiting for since 2007.
Woah, some high praise so far! I'm a Halo 3 fan, through and through, so glad to hear 343's striking a nice balance!

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You need to explain yourself better. What makes it feel like a f2p game?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Woah, some high praise so far! I'm a Halo 3 fan, through and through, so glad to hear 343's striking a nice balance!

I also loved Reach back then but 3 always had a permanent place in my heart as one of the most played MP games ever for me. 4 lost me and I couldn't get into 5 at all, with several tries over years, but like 2 matches and I was so turned off it wasn't my Halo anymore.

This here feels like back in the day, 2007 and I'm really happy about it.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017

Feels like a F2P game? What does that even mean? It is a F2P game. It's a janky tech preview of one. When you say F2P game, do you mean a F2P game like Apex which has best-in-class movement or a F2P game like Warzone which has best-in-class gunfeel? It's also apparently running at 30 fps on Xbox One platforms, compared to Halo 5 which cut every possible corner to get to 60 fps.

There's been plenty of criticism in this thread already of various things. Halo is a franchise where the fans are the biggest critics. The whole "per usual fans will shout everyone down" is such a weird thing to complain about when this game is under such intense scrutiny from fans, newcomers, and people who won't ever touch the game because it's an MS exclusive.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit weird to accuse it of feeling like an F2P game because...

1) It is a F2P game
2) Some of the biggest/best multiplayer games are F2P games
3) Practically no existing major multiplayer game in 2021 isn't monetised to hell and back

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm sure part of it is the jank coming from 5, but yes this feels incredibly unpolished compared to the Halo 5 Beta.

I agree that this is buggier and certainly not as polished, but we're in a different era now and this isn't exactly a "public beta" in the way marketing has used the term in the past. As someone who's had plenty of exposure to games that are truly in development and unfinished in a way that they aren't meant to be public facing- this absolutely feels like a branched off build for a game coming out in November. Halo 5's beta was more polished because it was a public facing product in an era where flighting wasn't quite as commonplace. 343 is just being transparent here.

It's a bit weird to accuse it of feeling like an F2P game because...

1) It is a F2P game
2) Some of the biggest/best multiplayer games are F2P games
3) Practically no existing major multiplayer game in 2021 isn't monetised to hell and back

What people really mean is that it feels unfinished, which it is. The Halo 3 and 5 betas were 100% not the same, they were highly polished slices of the final experience, and this really isn't. There's plenty of warts that are common to games until 1-2 weeks before they ship- that's just how it goes.

Oct 29, 2017
You need to explain yourself better. What makes it feel like a f2p game?

What makes it feel like a F2P game is the weird UX built around battle pass. What makes it feel like a F2P game is just some of the weird decision changes where it feels like an off brand version of Halo 3. I've been playing Halo for 20 years and it's the same old shit, anyone who criticizes the game gets shit on for the first 6 months until people realize the game's flaws. Honestly, even for a Beta this game feels pretty bad in the current state. There's something deeply off with the gameplay in this, even if I fundamentally agree that slowing it down was a smart idea. The best way to describe the game right now is it feels like the mobile version of COD at all levels.

Oct 29, 2017
I agree that this is buggier and certainly not as polished, but we're in a different era now and this isn't exactly a "public beta" in the way marketing has used the term in the past. As someone who's had plenty of exposure to games that are truly in development and unfinished in a way that they aren't meant to be public facing- this absolutely feels like a branched off build for a game coming out in November. Halo 5's beta was more polished because it was a public facing product in an era where flighting wasn't quite as commonplace. 343 is just being transparent here.

What people really mean is that it feels unfinished, which it is. The Halo 3 and 5 betas were 100% not the same, they were highly polished slices of the final experience, and this really isn't. There's plenty of warts that are common to games until 1-2 weeks before they ship- that's just how it goes.

THANK YOU. The Halo 5 beta wasn't perfect, especially compared to 3. But both of those are significantly better than whatever this is in its current state. Again, not trying to be hyperbolic, but it runs and feels like a mobile game on my xbox one x.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
... but per usual the fans will shout down everyone until 6 months after the game is out and everyone acknowledges the problems.

I have no idea where this idea comes from. I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase as negative and critical as Halo's. I always feel like I'm the only one who is still having fun and loving the series when reading Halo threads around here.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
THANK YOU. The Halo 5 beta wasn't perfect, especially compared to 3. But both of those are significantly better than whatever this is in its current state. Again, not trying to be hyperbolic, but it runs and feels like a mobile game on my xbox one x.

A mobile game? Now I'm sorry that is ridiculous to say.

Also, Halo 5 released on Xbox One only, Infinite is doing all One consoles, series consoles and PC from day 1. That plus working in the middle of a pandemic? Come on now, be serious.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
It's really strange that some people are telling that aim assist is too heavy but the other ones, including me, can't fucking figure out how to turn it on Xbox....

There is no aim assist for me, I tested it multiple times.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how F2P can make the gameplay of this feel weird. The rest arround it maybe. But i have no feeling oh this is gameplay moment just happened just now is because its F2P.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017

I think you may have missed my point though- that this is normal. I'm not playing on One X so I can't speak to that experience, but the game as it is on Series X a the moment is almost assuredly in the same state Halo 5 itself was in this long before release. Other "public betas" of the past were actually highly polished slices of their respective game. This is more like a genuine build of the game with cut content. Or at the very least, this is in line with the kind of level of polish I would expect from a build of a game that's 3-4 months away from release- people just aren't used to seeing those publicly.

Jun 10, 2018
I posted previously in this thread that maybe there was a bug. It definitely was not running at 120fps for me. The Sony x900H lets me know, the game was very jittery with every single camera movement. Just like any other game running at 60hz with a 120hz signal on the Sony x900H. I'll try it again right now to see if it does it again.
Okay, tried 120hz again with my FOV at 100 like before and then tried it again at the default of 70 to see if that had any effect. But nope, it does not seem to be wanting to run at 120fps for me on Series X. The game is just constantly jittery when moving the camera around on the Sony x900H. Somehow managed a 20-0 game last game like that.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I can't start anpther matchmaking search on my xbox anymore? The menu is just stuck on permanent loading?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how F2P can make the gameplay of this feel weird. The rest arround it maybe. But i have no feeling oh this is gameplay moment just happened just now is because its F2P.

I definitely think people mean "unpolished" rather than feels F2P, given F2P is a business model and not an indicator of quality :P

But yeah, I basically agree with what you said previously. I think the gameplay of this feels polished to a significant degree already. I have some minor balancing qualms with some of the weapons but I obviously lack context of the full game. Point being- the game is in a good state, gameplay-wise, for something that's 3-4 months from release. The stuff around the gameplay though? Yeah, it's about in the state I would expect it to be in, which is absolutely not ready for release. A very normal thing.

Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, never mind what I said before. I just took a look at the Performance Analysis video. Now I see why it looks very jittery. The effect of frame rate being all over the place looked very similar to the issue on the Sony x900H of running a game at 60hz while displaying a 120hz signal. And the Sony x900H still doesn't have VRR. Looks like I will be sticking to 60hz then.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
You can even reload while sprinting.

I swear just cut slide and sprint and the game doesn't change at all.

But whatever.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest complaint with descope in this game is if you have the zoom set to 'hold', are holding the button to zoom while getting shot at, you descope for a few frames and snap straight back into zoom; combine that with getting shot multiple times and It becomes disorienting. It should descope you till you pull the trigger again (even if you were still holding it).

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's called Halo Infinite but these loading times are ridiculous!
(seriously though, is it loading infinitely for anyone else on PC?)

It's a known issue.

PC

• Players on low graphics settings who have set a high FOV may see additional graphics pop-in.
  • On Steam, with some users and some hardware configurations, the game crashes shortly after reaching the title screen.
  • On Steam, with some users and some hardware configurations, the game crashes when launching a multiplayer match.
  • Invitations from other players are not visible in the Xbox app.
  • The game crashes when joining a fireteam with other players on PC.
  • The game consistently takes a long time to reach the main menu.
  • Players on low graphics settings who have set a high FOV may see additional graphics pop-in.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a BR on the map? I have no idea where people are finding it, and I haven't seen it in my games

If it's going to spawn it's in house elbow or nest.

It's commical watching the bots try to jump to turbine for a powerup. Like, it takes them 3 or 4 tries before they are successful and you'll often see 2 or 3 of them at atime trying 😂

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
My biggest complaint with descope in this game is if you have the zoom set to 'hold', are holding the button while zooming while getting shot at, you descope for a few frames and snap straight back into zoom; combine that with getting shot multiple times and It becomes disorienting. It should descope you till you pull the trigger again (even if you were still holding it).
Edit - nvm, somehow I brushed over your first sentence.

Addy Edwin

Aug 7, 2018
My biggest complaint with descope in this game is if you have the zoom set to 'hold', are holding the button while zooming while getting shot at, you descope for a few frames and snap straight back into zoom; combine that with getting shot multiple times and It becomes disorienting. It should descope you till you pull the trigger again (even if you were still holding it).
Yep agreed. Should be standard behaviour. Hope you add your feedback officially so that they keep this in mind before launch