• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you want animated cover on the dashboard of next-gen consoles ?

• Yes

Votes: 131 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 17.6%

• Total voters

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Microsoft just revealed the official Halo Infinite Key Art and on Twitter you can see an animated version.

I now officially want animated cover art on the dashboard of next-gen consoles. Nothing too fancy, but subtle animations like the Halo one.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
That does sound pretty cool but someone will ruin it and make a "Xbox Animated Icons |OT|" to complain about the bad ones.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Steam has this now and it is pretty cool!
Yup!

BowedHandsomeGoosefish-size_restricted.gif

AnchoredValidGoa-size_restricted.gif

But I guess what OP wants is cover art for physical box?

Oct 25, 2017
I think animated cover art for all games would look a bit too busy on the dashboard to my liking but animated background is very cool.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
love the idea, let's do it. hope devs make their art clean though. i could see it getting too busy fast.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Microsoft just revealed the official Halo Infinite Key Art and on Twitter you can see an animated version.

I now officially want animated cover art on the dashboard of next-gen consoles. Nothing too fancy, but subtle animations like the Halo one.

Brute in the visor? Grappling hook?

EdiHDrKXoAEwpek

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If it's subtle & toggleable on a game-by-game basis, absolutely

Oct 25, 2017
you just pick whatever image you want for whatever game you want on the grid view

if you pick an animated PNG then it's basically a gif (it's not but you know what I mean)

there are databases where people share them and most of them look really good and impressive
ohhhhhhhhhh shit, that's awesome. I assume developers can also make their offical ones animated if they so desire?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
While cool, when you have 20+ games all flashing and moving it's really distracting. I'd be cool with it when you hover over it with your cursor or it's the "prominent" game on your screen, though.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
While cool, when you have 20+ games all flashing and moving it's really distracting. I'd be cool with it when you hover over it with your cursor or it's the "prominent" game on your screen, though.
I think you would only animate what the controller is currently selecting. A bit like on Netflix when it starts a trailer for the current show/movie.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
i dont think so. unless it would have no noticeable difference on speed of GUI loading and no lag etc.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think animated cover art for all games would look a bit too busy on the dashboard to my liking but animated background is very cool.

Yeah me too. But maybe if it only animated when you hovered the cursor over it? So it just animates the one that is selected. Could be cool.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think it would look dope on some Xbox Game Pass UI with every cover. Maybe only animate the game being focused by the controller tho.
Can you turn it off? I think I'd kinda hate it if all thumbnails were animated like this at all times. The idea of only running the animation for the game that's currently selected sounds good to me.
Yeah, sadly it's always animated on Steam, since it's just replacing the original art with an animated gif. Animation based on selection would be dope. Actually, Steam has such a feature too for game trailers, they call it micro trailers. But it's a different topic.

steam-labs-micro-trailer_ybeg.gif

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yer. It needs to be "anchored" in some way. The background can shift somewhat or whatever, but the entire thing should still be recognizable at a glance. If the whole scene is shifting constantly, no thank you. Here, it looks good cuz Chief stays right in place.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, sadly it's always animated on Steam, since it's just replacing the original art with an animated gif. Animation based on selection would be dope. Actually, Steam has such a feature too for game trailers, they call it micro trailers. But it's a different topic.

steam-labs-micro-trailer_ybeg.gif

Yeah this would be cool, to animate the cover art when you hover the mouse over/select the game.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I really hope someone makes an animated wallpaper out of that. Looks absolutely gorgeous.

Oct 24, 2019
No thanks. That would give me a headache when I'm looking at my library and there's dozens of thumbnails squirming around lol

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
It would be too much for the whole library at once imo, but if whatever game / tile you had selected then became animated, that would be cool.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I'm all for the grappling hook as it's a neet way of opening up traversal options in game. However logistically, I can help but scratch my head at how that little thing is supposed to lift 1,000 pounds (450 kg) Spartan, not including any gear being carried at the time.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm all for the grappling hook as it's a neet way of opening up traversal options in game. However logistically, I can help but scratch my head at how that little thing is supposed to lift 1,000 pounds (450 kg) Spartan, not including any gear being carried at the time.

If it's hooked into the suit, it stands to reason it may be powered by the suit, not a self-contained little thing.

At any rate, it's a universe where ships travel by slipping between dimensions essentially. My suspension of disbelief can handle a grapple hook, haha.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a universe where orbital tethers exist. It's completely plausible in that context.