• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
THANK YOU MS.

Finally you are learning. In the past, they would rush things and release games unfinished. I'm so glad they're taking their time to release a better version of the game. We can wait a year.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad," Miyamoto

Glad they give 343I more time to polish the game... they should make it next-gen only if they feel the need to

Nov 13, 2017
We are talking about launch though. What games outside of Driveclub were shown for PS4 launch and got delayed? Fact is they didn't show alot of games for launch that got delayed. ANd that was because they didn't have a lot of them in a state to show.

This delay which was kind of forseen at the state of halo infinite's showing, was one of many projects that were shown super early or not in a good state. Most of MS'S show in July was CGI trailers, some without even a year attached to them. Like Forza is probably late 2021 even 2022.

They are now going into November without a big game, they are heavily going to talk up Gamepass and their XBox sereis s console.

Watch Dogs was literally on the box of the launch system.

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
QmqxwoY.gif

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Now we can have proper beta testing for the multiplayer as well. And you damn well know the graphics will be fixed now.

What on earth is this console going to launch with
Everything else that it was already gonna launch with? All this talk of delaying finished hardware is funny. People act like only Halo can boot on this machine. I for one am okay with the fact that I do not have to split my gaming hours between Cyberpunk and Halo in November. I don't mind seeing the upside in things like this. Delay Halo a full year if it will turn it into a once-in-a-gen type game as far as I'm concerned.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Better to delay it and polish it more then to release a shitty game and it utterly ruin the Xbox Series X Launch with bad press...

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
I'm surprised that they actually had the balls to do it.
But given what was revealed in the gameplay demo it's obviously for the best.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018

I feel for the team, crunching thru Covid and now the holidays is going to destroy morale.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
They said we'd see more of the game including multiplayer this year, I assume most if not all of their marketing plans have now moved deep into 2021 too. I actually expect the next time they show this game to be single player again to show us the changes made since this years reveal and then a multiplayer reveal to follow shortly after... basically what they had planned this year but done again.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Seems he should be applauding this move considering his reporting on crunch and the difficulties of game development.

But gotta fan those fan war flames I guess
I guarantee you there will still be a lot of crunch. You generally don't delay console launch games (or any games) to give developers more personal time. The game was not going to be the quality they want if they launch this year.

I feel for the team, crunching thru Covid and now the holidays is going to destroy morale.

This exactly. Same thing with Cyberpunk... I bet you those devs are crunching even with the delays.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What timing because I literally just walked out the store with a case of Infinite branded Monster Energy so I can start hoarding double XP codes...

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the heaviest blow MS could have been dealt for release of XSX putting them in an even less desirable position.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
I know a lot of people might be disappointed by this, but I do think this was the right decision, and I have to commend Microsoft and Phil Spencer for having the will to delay something so critical.

I don't think old Xbox would've allowed this. Old Xbox would've crunched 343 and multiple other studios collaborating to get this on time just to sell a box in a very crowded launch window.

Halo Infinite's showing was disappointing to me compared to the previous 2 E3s. While I don't know if I can expect anything along the lines of the initial trailer, I think the delay will put both Halo Infinite and 343 in a better place than trying to rush it for this year, and I'm excited for what's to come!

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It is a big blow, but then again what exactly is Sony launching with? I think these launch lineups have been sketchy on both sides and seem to be equally relying on cross gen stuff.

Sony has Spider-Man Miles Morales and Deathloop for AAA alongside Bugsnax, Kena and the Astro-Bot game.

Xbox also has some smaller titles (that for the life of me I cannot remember) but also has some pretty good looking AA games in The Medium and Scorn, and for AAA Yakuza 7 isn't getting a PS5 patch at launch while XSX is (even though the game will be on PS4 and likely playable on PS5) so I imagine that all MS really needs to do is just buy out a bigger third party launch title for Gamepass day one (like Yakuza or AC Ragnarok)

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's something I did not expect to hear going into this year...

I was honestly almost positive that with the amount of time that had passed since their last titles both 343 and Turn 10 were well ahead of the curve in term of development and would be ready with their titles for the launch of the Series X.

To now hear that not only was the next Forza seemingly never aiming for launch but now Halo Infinite (a planned cross-gen title) also won't hit launch is really crazy.

Anyway, hope the extra time will allow them to polish the game and have the ray-tracing that was planned to be added later on release now.

May 18, 2018
Damn that sucks, it was the main reason I was buying a SX at launch, I dont know what else is coming out exclusively that'll be worth it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bonnie Ross needs to be moved on from. How many times can this studio mess up.

After Infinite gets out the door, they really need to take a look at 343i. They have sunk too much to outright cancel Infinite, but I don't think 343i (as it is today) can be relied on the same way that they've relied on Bungie/Turn 10/Playground and The Coalition. Might be time to shuffle things around.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Surely it's much worse to release a console with nothing substantial than to delay the console launch?

I remember 3DS launching with a very average set of games with very little until an Ocarina of Time remake. It then got a substantial price cut to remind people it existed.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Seems he should be applauding this move considering his reporting on crunch and the difficulties of game development.

But gotta fan those fan war flames I guess

Game delays typically mean MORE crunching, not less, because the project generally gets additional features and milestones added on top of the original ones.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
I wonder what's the killer app or launch title for the Xbox Series X this holiday then... hopefully when Halo Infinite releases, it has all the features like Ray Tracing.